Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2016, 15:56   #61
BHPian

Re: The Bajaj V - A motorcycle made with INS Vikrant's steel

Bajaj surely lost the plot with respect to the engine, atleast a 150 would have made much sense. Everything else seems to be good - I personally would have preferred a round headlamp, any-ways.

As per Motoroids, Fuel Tank Assembly is the part in this motorcycle that will be made out of the metal from INS Vikrant.

Quoting from Motoroids:
"Update 6:
Parts made out of the metal from INS Vikrant: Fuel Tank Assembly. To commence with, Bajaj has per month capacity of 20,000 motorcycles for the new V."

Source: http://www.motoroids.com/news/bajaj-...st-and-prices/
Old 1st February 2016, 16:00   #62
BHPian

A whole lot of debate on whether Bajaj should have resorted to using INS Vikrant on its motorcycles. Few things come to my mind: Bajaj as a family have been heavily invested in the Freedom struggle before establishing their business in an Independent India. So, IMO, Patriotism still runs deep in their blood. Two, they are not where a company would like to be in a booming market like India. So, if the marketing team and the patriarch of the family decided to bring back the company through a patriotic route, it is pure marketing genius. If INS Vikrant's steel adds to the structural rigidity of the bike and stops it from turning into a rust bucket, so be it!

I find the bike to be majorly inspired by the Bonnie. The placement of the exhaust, the retro-petrol tank design and the cafe racer model all point towards it. But, like what a lot of them have mentioned, it would have been good to have released the bike in 300+ cc . Afterall, INS Vikrant was not a cushy yatch. This, is the only disservice that Bajaj has meted out.
theroadrunner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2016, 16:18   #63
BHPian

Err... Cant decide what say.

I am not sure if I like this bike, but not even sure if I dislike it.

Looking at the bike causes some kind of discomfort.

For me,
- It sure looks imposing and does have a character(not sure good or bad).
- The bike looks a mixture of simple and modern.
Modern - The fat tyre, the modern console(can see a traditional and digital one in on of the picture).
Old - The suspension(need a monoshock), a better looking silencer, the pathetic looking rear view mirrors.

Overall, its looks like Bajaj has reworked the Boxer with metal from the Vikrant and has plonked in a fatter tyre.
Old 1st February 2016, 17:28   #64
Senior - BHPian

While the motorcycle's design and specifications have been revealed, the prices will be disclosed in March when the V is launched.

Link to Team-BHP news article

The Bajaj V - A motorcycle made with INS Vikrant's steel-1-1.jpg

The Bajaj V - A motorcycle made with INS Vikrant's steel-1.jpg

The Bajaj V - A motorcycle made with INS Vikrant's steel-2.jpg

The Bajaj V - A motorcycle made with INS Vikrant's steel-3.jpg

The Bajaj V - A motorcycle made with INS Vikrant's steel-4.jpg

The Bajaj V - A motorcycle made with INS Vikrant's steel-5.jpg

The Bajaj V - A motorcycle made with INS Vikrant's steel-6.jpg

The Bajaj V - A motorcycle made with INS Vikrant's steel-7.jpg
Tushar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st February 2016, 19:37   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamahunter View Post
Err... Cant decide what say.

I am not sure if I like this bike, but not even sure if I dislike it.

Looking at the bike causes some kind of discomfort.
This looks like it is Bajaj's version of a scrambler which they are calling a "commuter" for some reason. Scrambler are the new craze among causal biking and I feel that Bajaj has got the proportions and high level details spot on. Think chunky tires, low stance et al.

Wish they had given a bigger engine. At least the new 200, though the KTM 390 would have been better.
Asifgrkhan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2016, 19:41   #66
Senior - BHPian

The design IMO just looks confused. The rear looks rather cruiser-ish, and as you slowly glance over to the front of the bike .... it goes like - cruiser, cruiser, still cruiser, WHA .... COMMUTER?

The headlight should have definitely been round. Plus a cowl around the headlamp like the one on Harley Street would have looked rather apt

And what is with the wheel sizes? 16 inch rear?????? Dont we have enough trouble sourcing decent rubber for our rides?

I dont like this at all
Urban_Nomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2016, 20:08   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
The design IMO just looks confused. The rear looks rather cruiser-ish, and as you slowly glance over to the front of the bike .... it goes like - cruiser, cruiser, still cruiser, WHA .... COMMUTER?...
My thoughts exactly !!

Steel from INS Vikrant notwithstanding, this strange 'commuter - front - to cruiser - back' style seems like a fiasco. A 'faint' cafe racer body and exhaust style but with the same old headlights and 'very' old suspension make it a eyesore. Add to that the anemic engine.

Bajaj should have designed this bike from the ground up, giving it a proper engine , mono suspension, round headlamps (maybe with DRLs) with front and rear discs ...something on the lines of a Scrambler.

Overall, it just looks to me as a rehashed Platina / Boxer
Old 1st February 2016, 20:22   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

The target segment is going to love this!
Looks a million bucks, costs as much as a commuter. Add the dash of V.
Heck, I really like the lines as well. Commuter should not equate to boring.
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2016, 20:44   #69
BHPian

Quote:

The headlight should have definitely been round. Plus a cowl around the headlamp like the one on Harley Street would have looked rather apt
Spot on. I kind of liked the rear design. Would have liked it as a complete bike with round headlight and bigger fuel tank. It would have given a timeless design to the bike.

Now it is more of a jugaad design I feel.
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2016, 21:54   #70
Senior - BHPian

This is the worst possible insult to the INS Vikrant.

RIP HMS Hercules!! You were a very, very beautiful ship.

Sigh.
FINTAIL is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st February 2016, 22:49   #71
BHPian

This seems to be a copy of Boneville if I am not wrong. So Bajaj has started this way - The New Avenger - Harley; The Bajaj V - Triumph; then it can be Indian,Ducati, MV Augusta, etc, etc and so on. But whatsoever the Bike looks confused in itself. But yeah I can say this that its going to sell good.
Shivanshu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2016, 23:08   #72
BHPian

Bike looks fantastic. The marketing ploy is Amazing showing it is made of INS Vikrant.
In India, word of mouth publicity travels fast and in my office they are already discussing that it is made of the the great INS Vikrant which has fought many battles and they will be proud to be associated by owing this bike and i think aam junta will like this model very much.
Iam saying this bike will do what Pulsar did to Bajaj. Great going Bajaj.
Old 1st February 2016, 23:37   #73
Senior - BHPian

The design reminds me of different motorcycles. The white one looks like the Moto Guzzi Griso/Bonneville (If only it had the round headlights it would have been even more similar) while the black and red reminds me of the yesteryear Yezdi Roadking (Even the black and red color scheme albeit in a different design is similar to that of the Roadking of yore). Overall as a mass market commuter, it looks really good and will sell well owing to the INS Vikrant history being marketed.

Quote:
And what is with the wheel sizes? 16 inch rear?????? Dont we have enough trouble sourcing decent rubber for our rides?
Very valid point and something I noticed too. 16 inch rear is currently not on any main stream bike and will really be challenging to procure. If the bike does really do well, we will see manufacturers making the tyres in this size. But if it tanks and does not sell, then getting the rear tyre replacement would be a herculean effort and jugaad will be the only way out.
Old 2nd February 2016, 03:24   #74
Senior - BHPian

Autocar's preview on V15
ecenandu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016, 09:59   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
Spot on. I kind of liked the rear design. Would have liked it as a complete bike with round headlight and bigger fuel tank. It would have given a timeless design to the bike.

Now it is more of a jugaad design I feel.

All they had to do was put Boxer 150's headlamp assembly. Would have looked complete.
puneeth2 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks