Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2016, 16:57   #16
BHPian

Re: Ather Energy unveils the S340 Electric Scooter

It seems like the launch I had been waiting for, the introduction of the almost Indian Tesla. At least considering aspects like the design and feature set. The connected interface, the touchscreen are reminiscent of Tesla. I added an almost because when Tesla launched the model S, it was a breakthrough in terms of range and speed. I am not sure how a 70km range makes it a "better scooter than the rest", but a quick charge feature is much appreciated

Innovation in this space, especially in India was sorely missing and it is really encouraging to see such a new startup come up with such interesting products. Considering how last mile connectivity in cities like Delhi is such a pain, such vehicles can be the perfect options for last mile connectivity.

Hope the prices are reasonable. Considering it will take advantage of the FAME incentives and that it is a new company, prices should be reasonable.

Looking forward to more products from Ather.
prakhar1998 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th February 2016, 19:21   #17
ZMG
BHPian

I am really glad that Ather has finally made the launch.
One of the founders is a childhood friend of mine.
Have seen the company grow and be what they are today. They are a dedicated bunch of engineers.
I really hope that the Indian buyer accepts the products and also Ather team can learn from the critics ( initial lot of customers) and help develop a new mark in the history of India.

Would like to congratulate the team on this forum, and also would advise them to be on the look out for team bhp reviews of their products, to have a fair and unbiased feedback.

Thanks,
ZMG
ZMG is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th February 2016, 20:06   #18
Team-BHP Support

Excellent effort from the Ather team. Really clean design. Looks nothing like what you get here form the current crop of chinese scooters.

Does anyone know how the registration works? Does it need to be registered? The other electric scooters I believe don't need to be registered or need a DL to drive.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2016, 22:27   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Does anyone know how the registration works? Does it need to be registered? The other electric scooters I believe don't need to be registered or need a DL to drive.
As far as I remember, any electric scooter with a motor rating of 250W need not be registered / no DL required. Anything above needs to be registered and requires a DL to drive.

The Bane of EV's seem to be the high cost of acquisition. Hope they mass produce this to make it cheaper. A perfect commuter for the daily office ride.
pugram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2016, 22:58   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Kudos to them for taking up a huge challenge. Even established players have failed in the E Scooter segment. The focus on user experience is the key here in my opinion.

Quote:
This will definitely need a registration and a DL. The ones that need not be registered are the <250 W ones with speed of 25 kmph max (Basically a fast cycling speed).

72 kmph Top Speed for an Electric Scooter is pretty high. Hero Electric has the Hero Photon (Link) which is 800W and has a max speed of only ~45kmph and costs close to 50K. This needs a license and registration. The Hero Wave (Link) does 100km per charge, but can go only at 25kmph max. No license and registration needed for this.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 24th February 2016 at 23:05.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2016, 23:03   #21
BHPian

Sorry in advance if my question sound stupid!
What happens when it rains on the touch screen. Will it keep doing random things with each drop falling?

An excellent design for the scooter. Looks clean and contemporary. Should age well as well. Excellent effort all round. My best wishes to the company
But the biggest worry is the range. Do the new age li ion batteries also decrease in capacity with time?
N.r.K is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2016, 23:39   #22
Senior - BHPian

Wow! It looks amazing. Elegant and very clean design. Looks well thought out. I am no scooter person, but I so want one. Along with a solar panel that is. Electricity is expensive in Kerala. LOL

Ather can be our Tesla. Hope the S340 doesn't cost a bomb. All the very best to them.
Old 25th February 2016, 00:34   #23
BHPian

The founders of the company were on a radio channel and said they aim to keep the price under Rs. 1 lakh.

So given the looks and fast charging in 50 mins, the product appears to be a compelling alternative.
vikramk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2016, 06:33   #24
Senior - BHPian

Now that's a really good looking scooter. Pretty understated I would say, neither on-your-face-space-age'ish nor boring. And what's more heartening to see is that's coming from Indian engineers.

Am sure these guys idolize Tesla and that's a good thing. Loved this bit. During my touring days(2007-12), I so wished we could have a visual GPS on the console specially while crossing towns/cities. Setting up the phone always is risky(rain/dust/fall damage). I know nobody would go touring on this, but the idea can make way into bikes as well in near future.
Ather Energy unveils the S340 Electric Scooter-pic.jpg

Can't find too many flaws in the product per say, though would have liked a little better range. 60kms might be tight at times considering the power interruptions we face in India(mostly during summer/monsoon).
Hope Flipkart backs them till they get their footing right in the market. Yes, its too early to judge but I wish them all the luck.

Last edited by SoumenD : 25th February 2016 at 06:37.
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2016, 08:45   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMG View Post
One of the founders is a childhood friend of mine.
Since you have insider access, you should be able to provide us breaking news from the company

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Along with a solar panel that is.
My question is - why can't solar panels be integrated into the body of the vehicle? This way the battery will be charging for as long as the vehicle is exposed to the sun.
samaspire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2016, 08:56   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Does anyone know how the registration works? Does it need to be registered?
Looks like it needs to be registered. Top speed is 72 kmph. Got it clarified from a former batchmate who works with Ather.

The OTA updates for the linux OS would be provided through a SIM card which Ather intends to provide.

Best wishes to the whole team!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 25th February 2016 at 09:00.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2016, 09:00   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Looks like it needs to be registered. Top speed is 72 kmph. Got it clarified from a former batchmate who works with Ather.
I was just going to post that. They have answered some questions in the FAQ page.

https://www.atherenergy.com/faq-page

If you click on "Buying an S340":

Quote:
Yes, the vehicle will need to be registered and insured. You will also need a valid license to ride the S340. - See more at: https://www.atherenergy.com/faq-page#t34n574
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2016, 09:42   #28
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Good to hear about this launch, loved the idea of a smart dashboard that will allow users to create personalised profiles, ride modes and preferences

Another news item on the launch, Source: Indian Express 24 Feb 2016 - Flipkart-Backed firm launches first E-Scooter
Old 25th February 2016, 09:55   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.r.K View Post
Sorry in advance if my question sound stupid!
What happens when it rains on the touch screen. Will it keep doing random things with each drop falling?
Since the pattern of rain drops is highly predictable, such input can be filtered out by the software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
But unlike what the founders say, people will buy electric vehicles only because they feel they might make a difference to the environment.
What Tarun Mehta told was EVs won't succeed commercially unless they are better than the petrol scooters. Altruism can bring goodwill, not commercial success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
What I am trying to say is that I really don't see anything else more advantageous over a conventional scooter.
It opens new possibilities. What was the big difference between an advanced feature phone and the first smartphone? Not very much since most of us couldn't appreciate the concept of mobile apps.

Also, the range will increase as the battery tech improves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Another news item on the launch, Source: Indian Express 24 Feb 2016 - Flipkart-Backed firm launches first E-Scooter
This is one of the things clarified by the CEO. Ather Energy is not backed by Flipkart. Instead it is backed by the founders of Flipkart, who have invested their personal money.
Samurai is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th February 2016, 10:00   #30
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
This is one of the things clarified by the CEO. Ather Energy is not backed by Flipkart. Instead it is backed by the founders of Flipkart, who have invested their personal money.
Needless to say, you know how the media is - they try to sensationalise with titles/headlines...but in this case the devil is in the details since the below quoted text is part of the article.

Quote:
The firm has raised $12 million from Tiger Global and $1 million from the founders of Flipkart Sachin Bansal and Binny Bansal. Sachin and Binny have invested in their personal capacity.
With that headline and then the details, they conveniently contradicted themselves
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks