Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2020, 01:29   #1186
BHPian

re: The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Actually there’s a Himalayan with the 55 litre hepco box in my apartment. I can send you a picture. It looks quite okay and as long as you fit it right, and don’t go enduro riding with the box it will be just fine from my experience.
It would be great if you could send pictures. If you know the owner, some additional details wouldn't hurt, such as pillion comfort, ride handling, overall cost and ease of use
Old 29th April 2020, 09:38   #1187
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamg28 View Post
What I need is a place to safely store mainly the jackets and say some other smaller items while the bike is temporarily out of sight. Safe to say, it would be more or less empty most of the time. I may experiment keeping my laptop bag inside when commuting to office though.
None to judge, but too little a function to take such a huge leap IMHO.

It would do you good if you could ride a motorcycle with and without a top box before taking the plunge.

When I had the top box on it helped me a lot since I was a bachelor working away from home staying in a lodge, the motorcycle was practically a second home i.e a place where you'd keep your things safe.

In fact the top box also doubled as my suitcase.

But the moment I got transferred to a place near(relatively) my home, everything went out the window, though it did help transport coconuts, jack-fruits etc from my moms native to mine it ultimately was a bother and so I'd shelved the boxes over a year ago. The MVD also had a role to play in that.

It did help when it came to office use as initially I had to commute about 150 km's a day until things got sorted out at the new place and I was too scared to make the commute without riding gear, but yes, due to a lack of personal parking lot, I did face a lot of concerns with parking, especially during the monsoons as the added weight of the motorcycle way past its mid point can leverage the motorcycle to dig deep into loose surfaces and tip over.

Good memories! At times it did make you want to beat the crap out of the motorcycle.

Quote:
This sounds scary but since you have extensively used it yourself, I believe there might be a small learning curve to get used to it, post which, it should be safe.
Mostly depends on motorcycle and its weight bias, but generally the thumb rule is that overhang isn't good.

Not much of a learning curve, use the rear brake more and don't take your hands off the handlebar even for a second.

Along with safety the fun quotient also takes a nose dive and the motorcycle becomes....meh!

Cheers,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2020, 10:38   #1188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can anyone suggest a good Top Box for the Himalayan? Requirements are the following:
Just a word of caution, the luggage rack on the Himalayan isn't designed to carry the load of a Top Box. You will need to go aftermarket. You can get one from Zana, they have one specifically for top racks.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2020, 12:34   #1189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
None to judge, but too little a function to take such a huge leap IMHO.
It would do you good if you could ride a motorcycle with and without a top box before taking the plunge.
I do agree but ease of mind (relatively speaking) is priceless. I will try test rides with and without if that's possible. Who knows if I like it, it might be my primary luggage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Not much of a learning curve, use the rear brake more and don't take your hands off the handlebar even for a second.
I'll be sure to keep that in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Just a word of caution, the luggage rack on the Himalayan isn't designed to carry the load of a Top Box. You will need to go aftermarket. You can get one from Zana, they have one specifically for top racks.
So you mean, in addition to the base plate provided with/without the Top Box, I'll need to have something like this in place: https://www.bikenbiker.com/products/...18138832207929
Old 3rd June 2020, 03:09   #1190
BANNED

A friend of mine shared the MRP of the Himalayan's clutch cover gasket:

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-whatsapp-image-20200602-2.15.43-am.jpeg

It costs Rs.1336/-, quite pricey for a single gasket IMHO as the one on my P220 costs Rs.47/- for OE and Rs.130/- for the complete kit(Copper Exhaust and Metal Head Gasket Included) if buying non-OE, which again isn't a compromise cause at the end of the day it is Gasket Paper, no added functionality on offer buying OE.

So opting for a non-OE Gasket Kit during clutch replacements etc. can considerably drop maintenance costs.

Regards,
A.P.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 3rd June 2020 at 03:15.
ashwinprakas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 14:30   #1191
BHPian

Friends, planning to buy an used Himalayan. Primary usage is for highways with wife as pillion and some occasional off roading. I am a relaxed rider. Have chosen to stick to Bs 4 models with ABS as minimum requirement and the budget is within 1.5 Lacs. I am seeing some good examples under 10k kms in the odo and reasonable asking prices. Members and owners please suggest what are the things to be checked before buying a used Himalayan. It will be of great help. Also please suggest regarding the Bs6 versions too. I am finding Bs6 models around 1.8 lacs. Is it worth it to stretch and get one? Please help.
Old 7th June 2020, 16:33   #1192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VishJ View Post
Friends, planning to buy an used Himalayan. Primary usage is for highways with wife as pillion and some occasional off roading. I am a relaxed rider. Have chosen to stick to Bs 4 models with ABS as minimum requirement and the budget is within 1.5 Lacs. I am seeing some good examples under 10k kms in the odo and reasonable asking prices. Members and owners please suggest what are the things to be checked before buying a used Himalayan. It will be of great help. Also please suggest regarding the Bs6 versions too. I am finding Bs6 models around 1.8 lacs. Is it worth it to stretch and get one? Please help.
The recent BS 4 ABS models are fairly reliable, with not too many 'known issues' to worry about. Things I would look out for:
- Make sure the motorcycle hasn't been abused off road
- The 'cone set' is something which the earlier Himalayan owners had to replace. Look for unusual handlebar wobbles while test riding
- Stock Ceat tyres have a life of 10-12 k km. Be prepared for a new set
- BS 6 models don't have too much of an advantage over BS 4 ABS models. Colours, Hazard lights and switchable ABS are the only features that come to mind. Unless you're planning on hardcore off roading, standard ABS will do just fine.
Old 7th June 2020, 17:05   #1193
BHPian

Thanks for the suggestions. Noted to check out the coneset issue while test ride. Regarding Bs6 versions I heard the engine smoothness is better. But this I heard only in youtube reviews. No real world feedback. Seems like I can settle with a Bs4 version then.
Old 8th June 2020, 12:10   #1194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So you mean, in addition to the base plate provided with/without the Top Box, I'll need to have something like this in place: https://www.bikenbiker.com/products/...18138832207929
Apologies for the super late response. Zana has two types of Rear luggage carrier. One is the normal one and the other which is meant for Top racks as mentioned above, and which I presume will suit your purpose.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 22:49   #1195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Completed approx 10000 kms. Almost nil use within city, mostly on state highways, village roads, no roads and bit of offroad with friends.
Its carburetor version and below are the niggles faced till now:
1. Alternator conked off when i was 500 kms away from Poona, thankfully bike reached back home in 8 hrs, replaced under warranty
2. Gear indicator showing blank - replaced under warranty
3. Cone set bearing - replaced under warranty. Also added bearing cover of latest design
4. Rear mudguard mounts started breaking one by one - Had to change entire set (mudguard + number plate frame)
5. Front Fork Cover Protector Gaiters replaced with OE ones
Except warranty work, i never take bike to ASS and i am very happy with decision. Bile still runs beautifully and brings smile everytime i come across bad roads. I have not done any modifications except two aux LED lights, side bags (for bottles and small nick nacks).
As i dont ride above 100, i am happy with available power.

Attachment 1952574

Attachment 1952573
Was hoping to pick this bike up as a second bike, to trash around in the trails. There was a lot of talk about quality improvement in the BS4 edition, but the customer woes tell a different story.

How come that the International community has so much praise for the BS4 edition whereas the story is completely different in the local market. Are we really getting the same bikes as the ones sold abroad?
Old 9th June 2020, 11:14   #1196
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo18 View Post
Was hoping to pick this bike up as a second bike, to trash around in the trails. There was a lot of talk about quality improvement in the BS4 edition, but the customer woes tell a different story.

How come that the International community has so much praise for the BS4 edition whereas the story is completely different in the local market. Are we really getting the same bikes as the ones sold abroad?
I think you are misinterpreting my post, most of the issues reported were known and fixed in warranty. after that none of the issues reported. Yes, there were quality issues but all sorted now. From the day of purchase this bike has gone to ASC only for warranty claims, my trusted Himalayn expert mechanic keeps it in top shape.
For the price (especially introductory price), this bike is true VFM.
Few months back we (4 himalayan and one Impulse) had gone to very remote place where we had to ride for few hours in jungle trails to reach our camping place. It was a 2 day trip with mix of straight highways, ghat roads and mostly no roads. Except its highway cruising limitation, i dont have any major gripe with this bike. And me being sedate rider highway speed is not a major concern to me.
I am still able to cover 600-700 kms in a day.

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-81913524_10157893929782453_5522306449109155840_o.jpg

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-82306927_10157896694237453_6838241238412427264_o.jpg

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-83184624_10157919308577453_1231633755332935680_o.jpg
Shubhendra is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 11:54   #1197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
I think you are misinterpreting my post, most of the issues reported were known and fixed in warranty. after that none of the issues reported. Yes, there were quality issues but all sorted now. From the day of purchase this bike has gone to ASC only for warranty claims, my trusted Himalayn expert mechanic keeps it in top shape.
For the price (especially introductory price), this bike is true VFM.
Few months back we (4 himalayan and one Impulse) had gone to very remote place where we had to ride for few hours in jungle trails to reach our camping place. It was a 2 day trip with mix of straight highways, ghat roads and mostly no roads. Except its highway cruising limitation, i dont have any major gripe with this bike. And me being sedate rider highway speed is not a major concern to me.
I am still able to cover 600-700 kms in a day.
Hi Shubendra,

I was thinking aloud after reading your post, sorry it came across as misinterpreting the post. Probably some context would help here. I own a 2015 Z800 and have put a measly 16k kilometres on it. The bike is a cruise missile on highways and good roads, but it just cannot handle b-roads and really struggles on bad roads and hence the low mileage. In this context, I wanted to pick up a bike which can handle bad roads and be light on the pocket as well.

But talking to several BS4 Himalayan owners , it really does look like QC at RE is a hit or miss affair. I have known several people who have done close to 10k kilometers without any glitch and there are folks whose vehicle broke down several times in the first 1000 kilometers.

In comparison, my Z800 ownership has been blissful in past 5 years. I know its not a fair comparison in any respect, be it price, performance or category, but the thought of being stranded far from home on some remote trails is something that is not comforting.
Neo18 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 14:28   #1198
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo18 View Post
Hi Shubendra,

I was thinking aloud after reading your post, sorry it came across as misinterpreting the post. Probably some context would help here. I own a 2015 Z800 and have put a measly 16k kilometres on it. The bike is a cruise missile on highways and good roads, but it just cannot handle b-roads and really struggles on bad roads and hence the low mileage. In this context, I wanted to pick up a bike which can handle bad roads and be light on the pocket as well.

But talking to several BS4 Himalayan owners , it really does look like QC at RE is a hit or miss affair. I have known several people who have done close to 10k kilometers without any glitch and there are folks whose vehicle broke down several times in the first 1000 kilometers.

In comparison, my Z800 ownership has been blissful in past 5 years. I know its not a fair comparison in any respect, be it price, performance or category, but the thought of being stranded far from home on some remote trails is something that is not comforting.
Yes, the BS3 and BS4 Himalayan's have had some quality issues but by and large they have been addressed / fixed under warranty. The BS6 ones should be a safe bet. That said it is unfair to expect similar peace of mind from the Himalayan, as capable a bike as it is, when you compare it to the Z800. I would suggest going in for the upcoming Honda CB500X instead, it may not be very light on the pocket but it will give you complete peace of mind.
neil.jericho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 21:41   #1199
Distinguished - BHPian

So this article just dropped into my vision - I opened it half expecting the RE Twins would have probably made to the VFM cruiser bike option.

https://www.visordown.com/features/t...torcycles-2020

Imagine my surprise when a RE did figure in the top VFM position - not the Twins, but the Himalayan!

Quoting from the link - - -

1. Best value adventure motorcycle – Royal Enfield Himalayan - £4,499
It may lack the capacity and pizzazz of some of the bigger adventure machines, but what it loses in weight it gains in rideability and real-world usability. Ask any true adventure motorcyclists what they’d rather take off-road – this or a BMW R125 GS Adventure – and the majority would be reaching for the Himalayan’s keys nine times out of ten!

The Royal Enfield also has something that very few other full-sized adventure machines have, simplicity – the last thing you want to break down on a trail is a big, expensive, and hard to fix motorcycle.
ninjatalli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 08:00   #1200
BHPian

I came across this in one of the reviews online.
https://www.cyclenews.com/2020/05/ar...alayan-review/
I am not a Motorhead & would request owners to confirm if there is really a valve adjustment needed every 5k kms. I have owned a CBR 250 in the past . In the former, shim adjustment was required at 25k kms.
Attached Thumbnails
The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-screenshot_2020060922032931.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks