Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2020, 21:47   #1201

re: The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!

Does anyone have any experience with the BS6 model in Bangalore traffic? We are Australian and have just moved to India, and will be here for three years. We don’t want to spend a bomb on a bike. Couple of things we need the bike for - ride to work around 10 kms, weekend rides, ride to kerala, Mumbai, Goa etc on long weekends

I’m 5.6 and the Mrs will accompany me on long rides. Not that interested in off-road riding bikes like Dominar and Himalayan. Bikes owned back home - Street Triple and GSX-R1000

Help please

Last edited by SmartCat : 13th June 2020 at 23:38. Reason: Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this.
Shinynineball is offline   Received Infraction
Old 13th June 2020, 23:38   #1202
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinynineball View Post
Does anyone have any experience with the BS6 model in Bangalore traffic? We are Australian and have just moved to India, and will be here for three years. We don’t want to spend a bomb on a bike. Couple of things we need the bike for - ride to work around 10 kms, weekend rides, ride to kerala, Mumbai, Goa etc on long weekends

I’m 5.6 and the Mrs will accompany me on long rides. Not that interested in off-road riding bikes like Dominar and Himalayan. Bikes owned back home - Street Triple and GSX-R1000

Help please
First and foremost, welcome to Team-BHP.

Now returning to the question, the Himalayan's USP is its ability to go off-road, and if you aren't going to do that, its going to be an incorrect decision to opt for that. Not to mention its pretty underpowered.

For touring, The Dominar makes a lot of sense.
Although not on your list of contenders, but I would also recommend you check out, in no particular order:
Royal Enfield 650 (Both the interceptor and the Continental, depending on your preferred ergonomics)
Honda CB 300R
TVS Apache RR 310
Suzuki 250

Last edited by SmartCat : 13th June 2020 at 23:49. Reason: Quoted post edited
Old 14th June 2020, 01:13   #1203
BHPian

Quote:
Revzilla just posted a vid with the Himlayan. Watch it if you want here
Its a decent all round tourer, with a few minor niggles.
You can look into the rr310 if you want a sporty bike with a relaxed triangle. Maybe the Rc390 if you like the aggressive posture, rr310 would be a better sport tourer tho.

I would also second the RE twins. Take them for a spin, might end up liking them.
Balthazar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2020, 13:53   #1204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar View Post
Revzilla just posted a vid with the Himlayan. Watch it if you want herehttps://Youtu.be/HP9OjCb7y5g

Hey, It's Ari and Zack, didn't know their videos are back up on RevZilla

For anyone interested - A brief summary of them would be - Top gear for Bikes
They used to work for Motorcyclist Magazine and had a series name "On Two Wheels". Then they moved to RevZilla and got lost behind a paywall.

These two are proper hardcore motorcyclist with a dearth of experience on bikes and they are childhood friends, so they have a chemistry that all the Top gear Enthusiasts will love

Linking some more of their videos for anyone interested -

lancia_fanboy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2020, 14:20   #1205
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancia_fanboy View Post
They used to work for Motorcyclist Magazine and had a series name "On Two Wheels". Then they moved to RevZilla and got lost behind a paywall.
Slight correction. They moved from motorcyclist mag to start their own channel behind a paywall. That bombed.

Much later, Revzilla brought them aboard and have signed them onto Revzilla full time to produce such shows. Now it will be free forever considering Revzillas got a pretty huge marketing budget.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2020, 14:22   #1206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Help please
Practicality wise, I would suggest, coupled with pillion comfort and decent cruising ability, I'd suggest you stick with the Himalayan. The BS6 to BS4 don't differ at all when on the road, though the BS6 is a wee bit heavier on paper, it doesn't reflect that on roads vis a vis the BS4 ones.

A good bike to own and maintain, does great cruising speeds with loads and stability is good, unless ridden harshly which was easily low side when you least expect. It takes a while to getting used to the dynamics, but you get the hold of it it's a lovely torquey machine to own.

Good luck.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2020, 14:28   #1207
BHPian

Quote:

I'm 5.6 and the Mrs will accompany me on long rides. Not that interested in off-road riding bikes like Dominar and Himalayan. Bikes owned back home - Street Triple and GSX-R1000

Help please

While the Himalayan is more suited for off roading it is a very comfortable cruiser as well specially with a pillion. However, there is a caveat. You can't cruise at higher speeds. If you intend to cruise @90-100 it should be fine.

Following are my suggestions:
1) Dominar: Very nice all rounder, pillion friendly and value for money.
2) RE Interceptor: Again very VFM. However you will have to do some modifications in order to make the pillion seat comfortable for long rides.
3) BMW G310GS/KTM Adv: The BMW will be more comfortable and will take all kinds of roads with aplomb while the KTM will be more powerful. Both are decently pillion friendly.
Waspune is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2020, 16:29   #1208
BHPian

Did a small post lockdown ride to the Gujarat-Rajasthan border. The Himalayan is nearing 5000 kilometers after resting around on its laurels for the past 3 months. Will be piling up more kilometres now as lockdown has been lifted
Attached Thumbnails
The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-2bb2d007692345e996705af50d449e79.jpeg  

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-himalayan123.jpg  

Last edited by rahul4321 : 6th July 2020 at 16:44.
rahul4321 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 00:38   #1209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
The right hand side lever is hitting the visor. No issues in the left hand side.

Bike has never fallen down nor been in any impact.

It handles just like before and this is irritating me when I park.
Any idea why?

Attachment 1858834
Please check Alignment of your Handle-bars,I think it got misaligned.You need to do it at a ASS, as FNG s don't have the equipment to do it.
Old 8th July 2020, 11:04   #1210
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooghlyBoy View Post
Please check Alignment of your Handle-bars,I think it got misaligned.You need to do it at a ASS, as FNG s don't have the equipment to do it.
The issue was my own mistake.

I loosened the handlebar and fixed the angle. This resolved the issue.
bblost is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2020, 13:34   #1211
BHPian

Anybody got extended warranty for their Himalayan? I just got mine for 3699/- till 4 years or 50,000 km. The fine print says - "Parts that are subjected to normal wear and tear like fuel filter, control cables, drive chain and sprocket kit, steering ball races, wiring harness, bulbs, hoses, brushes, fuses, brake shoes and brake pads, clutch plates, starter motors and other rubber parts are not covered under warranty".

What does the company mean by 'steering ball races' and 'brushes'?
Geo_Ipe is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2020, 13:42   #1212
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
What does the company mean by 'steering ball races' and 'brushes'?
1. Steering Cone Set, the rollers that enable your handlebar to effortlessly turn. It is a consumable.

2. Starter Motor Brush, its inside your starter motor and again is a consumable.

Edit: Added videos.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 11th July 2020 at 13:54.
ashwinprakas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2020, 15:41   #1213
BHPian

I gave the Himalayan for its 3rd Free Service on Saturday. I kept on walking around the service station till they introduced me to the Service Manager because I made it abundantly clear that I was not going to leave the premises until they fixed the problem I have had since Day 1 - of the bike stalling at lower RPM's. I asked them to rectify it during 1st Service as well as the 2nd Service but the problem has never been completely resolved. It had gotten so bad in the last few months of lockdown that in the first 10-15 kilometres if i ran into busy traffic, I had to keep the clutch depressed and give the bike some throttle to ensure it does not die. It was absolutely crazy.

The Service Manager's eyes lit up when he asked me if it was a BS6 Himalayan. I told him it was a BS4 and I was aware that the service stations had been rolled out a Service Update by Royal Enfield for resolving the exact same issue with the BS6 Version. I told him very clearly that this is pretty much the last chance I am giving them and if they cannot resolve the issue, I will be writing to RE and asking them to step in because their authorized dealership cannot resolve the issue (despite trying their best - I will give them that); an issue which was not only very irritating but also could be incredibly dangerous if it happened on a slope or an uphill climb.

When i went to pick it up, they assured me that they have fixed it. I didnt believe them as I had been promised a resolution in the earlier two services and so I told them I will be getting back to them. I have been riding the motorcycle since Sunday now and it hasnt died on me at low RPM's even once. I believe the exorcism may have finally worked

Last edited by rahul4321 : 22nd July 2020 at 15:47.
rahul4321 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2020, 18:03   #1214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Slight correction. They moved from motorcyclist mag to start their own channel behind a paywall. That bombed.

Much later, Revzilla brought them aboard and have signed them onto Revzilla full time to produce such shows. Now it will be free forever considering Revzillas got a pretty huge marketing budget.
Another slight correction. They moved to motortrend where they did the two wheelers section, which bombed and are now at revzilla
aarnav_b is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2020, 06:04   #1215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4321 View Post
When i went to pick it up, they assured me that they have fixed it. I didnt believe them as I had been promised a resolution in the earlier two services and so I told them I will be getting back to them. I have been riding the motorcycle since Sunday now and it hasnt died on me at low RPM's even once. I believe the exorcism may have finally worked
Any idea what was done to get rid of the issue?
AlQuazi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed