Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2017, 18:20   #16
BANNED

Re: Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand.shankar View Post
The moment I saw CT100B, I knew it would be you!

Congrats on the new bike, any new automobile purchase is an exciting event. Ride on brother.
You bet!

It is indeed, especially when it’s a Motorcycle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
Your post took me back to my college days.
=======
Enjoy your rides on the Boxer
Wow! That's a good number of years to spend with a motorcycle, please do post pics of the same if available.

As for brakes, due to me being on the heavier side and due to the motorcycle being unable to maintain high speeds I doubt I'd ever go in for a Disc Brake conversion, but let’s wait and watch to see what life has in store for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramgkulkarni View Post
Congratulation on your new purchase and I was suddenly taken back atleast a decade when i owned my first geared bike - CT100 Deluxe.
========
But fate has own plans. Now own an Avenger 220

Thanks for review.
Thank you for reading.

I totally agree about the last part, with my parents being scared about sending me to Bangalore with my trustworthy ZMA, they got me the Bajaj Discover 100 4G in the hopes that it would be so pathetic that I'd only use it for local commutes, less than a week after taking ownership I rode her for around 750~800KM's to Bangalore, ever since I've been hooked to Bajaj's and the CT100 is my third Bajaj motorcycle after the Bajaj Pulsar 220F DTSi, which I still own and ride(sparingly thought).
ashwinprakas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2017, 10:34   #17
BHPian

Yes Ashwin, i will surely try and hunt for some old pictures of my Bajaj Boxer.
Old 18th April 2017, 19:58   #18
BHPian

Glad to see a review of re-born CT100B. I like to align with Yamaha (started with RX100). But as fate would have it. I spent long years (1998 - 2006) with Kawasaki 4S and consecutively (2006 - 2012) with Bajaj CT100. So they feel part of family. It did brought a smile when I saw ads coming again for CT100 after years of Platina & Discover 100 bikes.

My 4S was literally abused. With long periods of zero maintenance, it just keeps on running and regains full form after every service. I often had to take 60km - 70km & even 120km - 150km runs at short notice. Only thing I check about is petrol level, brake lever & clutch lever play.

Bought a new bike, a Bajaj CT100 when I had to give away 4S to a brother. Just a week before my purchase, Bajaj reduced it's wheel size from 18" to 17". And changed to round RVMs & blinkers with rounded corners. This one too was handed down in 2012 but it still doesn't look old.

Both didn't cost much to service. I changed cylinder & piston for 4S (at nearly 75K in Odo). With Bajaj CT100 I once had to change the exhaust as it developed holes at the end part. They never broke down or ceased during ride, though I felt 4S was close to engine seizure during a long ride & nursed it back home.

I guess I rode at least 50K (of 90K total) in 4S. And 36K in CT100.
viggienomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2017, 08:04   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by viggienomad View Post
Glad to see a review of re-born CT100B. I like to align with Yamaha (started with RX100). But as fate would have it. I spent long years (1998 - 2006) with Kawasaki 4S and consecutively (2006 - 2012) with Bajaj CT100. So they feel part of family. It did brought a smile when I saw ads coming again for CT100 after years of Platina & Discover 100 bikes.

My 4S was literally abused. With long periods of zero maintenance, it just keeps on running and regains full form after every service. I often had to take 60km - 70km & even 120km - 150km runs at short notice. Only thing I check about is petrol level, brake lever & clutch lever play.

Bought a new bike, a Bajaj CT100 when I had to give away 4S to a brother. Just a week before my purchase, Bajaj reduced it's wheel size from 18" to 17". And changed to round RVMs & blinkers with rounded corners. This one too was handed down in 2012 but it still doesn't look old.

Both didn't cost much to service. I changed cylinder & piston for 4S (at nearly 75K in Odo). With Bajaj CT100 I once had to change the exhaust as it developed holes at the end part. They never broke down or ceased during ride, though I felt 4S was close to engine seizure during a long ride & nursed it back home.

I guess I rode at least 50K (of 90K total) in 4S. And 36K in CT100.
I'm excited to see that most people have history with this motorcycle in some variant or the other and have opted for the same a second time due to its reliability because here, neither for love nor for money could I convince the people around me about how wonderful an offering the CT100 is.
My motorcycle is 31 KM's shy of the 2K mark and due to personal reasons I'd be commuting 120 KM's a day to and from work for the next couple of weeks starting from today, the early morning run to work was just flawless the motor was rev friendly and I've kind of gotten used to the dodgy transmission, for a lack of better words I'd say that it has smoothed out itself.
Maintaining 70~75kmph was a breeze.
The only area where I feel that improvement is required (as of now) is the horn department, I've procured a pair of Bosch Symphony horns and I'm yet to decide on the wiring as the motorcycle comes with a battery that has bullet connectors rather than the standard leads and I'm already using a Roots Mobile charger which I've managed to fix inside the tool box, I’m leaning towards the Hella Horn Wiring Kit, which is available on Amazon for 700~800, mainly because I don’t mind spending the extra money for the reliability.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2017, 10:00   #20
BANNED

At a little less than 3k on the ODO the motorcycle had to be left idle for over a week due to heavy rains and commuting 120km’s a day in heavy downpour on Kerala roads seemed nothing less than suicide, so long story short after procuring a residence which would reduce my commute to 20~25km’s a day I decided to ride to my new residence on my beloved motorcycle and guess what, she has absolutely no compression!

For the first 30 minutes tried the usual things and the whole place was reeking of petrol, but the upside being that with every kick she was slowly regaining compression. Once it was confirmed that I had flooded the cylinder I kicked with the throttle pinned at WOT and Wham! She’s back to life! Let me tell you with confirmation that this is the manliest motorcycle I’ve ridden and I emphasize this after going through an article about a guy selling his Honda after getting bored with its reliability.

Once I got to my new residence I immediately went ahead an installed the pair of Acerbis hand guards that 'Biker Zone, Trissur'(Thanks guys!) had sourced for me for 1.8k inclusive of shipping.

The installation was plain and simple, cut the grip and white throttle thing and insert the expanding inserts after which all clamps need to bolted in place and tightened once the guard is set at a desirable position.

The HL upgrade and horn upgrade is still pending but I hope to get it cleared sooner than later.
Attached Thumbnails
Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-img20170514wa0026.jpeg  

ashwinprakas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2017, 14:50   #21
BANNED

Attended the xBhp ISG2G 2017 at Thekkady on the CT100B. We covered around 500kms and did some serious off-roading, the stock Ceat's held well except in mud, on descending I had to sit on the tank for traction but that's still light-years ahead of what the stock Euroslips on my previous 100cc banger Discover 100 4G had to offer. Among the 100+ members who'd attended only the CT100B and a handful of other riders had climbed all 3 mountains and reached the peak seen in the pic.

The CT100B did struggle on the highways but that's fine compared to the uphill and off-road belting it had to take.

Truly a VFM offering indeed considering that at 100cc it was the lowest displacement motorcycle in lot with 1.6L being the largest.😊
Attached Thumbnails
Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-1499764654802.jpg  

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-1499764710371.jpg  

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-1499764726933.jpg  

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-1499764761862.jpg  

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-1499764779642.jpg  

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 11th July 2017 at 14:52.
ashwinprakas is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th August 2017, 08:49   #22
BANNED

Nice choice man! I once had my eyes set on the CT100B as it was the most affordable option to cover my 100km daily commute. As the traffic started to increase on my highway, I decided to get a pair of wheels as I could slice through the traffic. Although the highway performance would be silly, I could save 20-30min each way in normal traffic and more if it's dense.

Then, I decided to get something that can do highway speeds as well and got a used Impulse for Rs. 35K. It cruises at 85-90km and saves me another 15min.

Later I purchased a second owner Navi for the same price as a new CT100B with just 150km on the odo. (The March-April discount lot). I too love thrashing the Navi on broken roads.

I believe you can have more off-road fun on a smaller, lighter bike. As you can just lift and push if it gets stuck without any help. That's worth a lot for me as I ride alone.

The last thing: I have trouble explaining to people why I wear riding gear from head to toe when I'm "only" riding a Navi. I've just found someone who has to deal with similar questions. Hats off bhai.
MaheshY1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2017, 12:05   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaheshY1 View Post
Later I purchased a second owner Navi for the same price as a new CT100B with just 150km on the odo. (The March-April discount lot). I too love thrashing the Navi on broken roads.

I believe you can have more off-road fun on a smaller, lighter bike. As you can just lift and push if it gets stuck without any help. That's worth a lot for me as I ride alone.

How is the rear suspension on your Navi?

I haven't ridden another 2 wheeler with stiffer rear suspension, it feels as if the Rear Suspension has NO DAMPER at all. Just can't ride over any bad section without slowing down considerably. Initially I thought that because I came from a motorcycle world, the experience was different.

The ultra light weight does give you immense confidence to take it over off roads. But now I am getting a feeling that probably the damper on the rear suspension if not working on my Navi.

Old 17th August 2017, 09:21   #24
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaheshY1 View Post
Nice choice man! I once had my eyes set on the CT100B as it was the most affordable option to cover my 100km daily commute. As the traffic started to increase on my highway, I decided to get a pair of wheels as I could slice through the traffic. Although the highway performance would be silly, I could save 20-30min each way in normal traffic and more if it's dense.

Then, I decided to get something that can do highway speeds as well and got a used Impulse for Rs. 35K. It cruises at 85-90km and saves me another 15min.

The last thing: I have trouble explaining to people why I wear riding gear from head to toe when I'm "only" riding a Navi. I've just found someone who has to deal with similar questions. Hats off bhai.
Congratulations on the Impulse and Navi, both are decent bikes we had both attend this years ISG2G.

As for offroading the Impulse is a dream for anyone and I literally mean that. Be it amateur or pro the Impulse won't let you down.

As for the Navi, well, it's not as offroad friendly as any motorcycle simply considering that its an automatic but having said that I'd also like to add that it takes great skill and determination to offroad on an automatic and not many would dare do it. Hence kudos on that.

As for riding gear. Man!, I'm speechless. Statements made by some have made me see humanity from Darwin's point of view.
They can spend a fortune on cellphones and shoes with anything but pride but they consider a person investing on safety to be a fool.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 17th August 2017 at 09:23.
Old 18th August 2017, 18:10   #25
BANNED

Last weekend we did a 810 kms - 2 day run to Valparai and back.

The last time we did the same it was 1300+ kms on the Discover 100 4G in a day due to inadequate planning and keeping that in mind we left no stone unturned when it came to route planning and time management.

We took the Malakappara route to reach Valparai and came back via the Govinapuram route.

She fared well, considering that the Air Filter hasn't been cleaned or replaced yet at 5.5k on the ODO, I usually skip cleaning and directly replace the filter at 5k intervals as they cost peanuts but due to lack of time was unable to source it, plus now I get the feeling that I’d be directly replacing it at the 7.5k mark.

As for niggles I did observe a minor vapour leak around the crank case breather but I guess it's mostly due to the constant high revving as I had a tough time keeping up with the bigger bikes on the highways.

All in all, I still stand by my claim that this is a swell motorcycle.
Attached Thumbnails
Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-220ac81003b316cc79f90d921df51292.jpg  

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-e52eb6c07df617081f55e12020d5d2db.jpg  

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-f56489c1d9d389bc093e760b0d9774ce.jpg  

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-62ea1da67e84fe9216aa2b93aa3837d3.jpg  

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-1f5b1fbfb7df2b75570001b0005ff738.jpg  

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 18th August 2017 at 18:12.
ashwinprakas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th August 2017, 10:37   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

1300 kms in a day!!!! Where is this report?!! Jesus christ this is endurance biking on a motorcycle that probably doesn't go over 100 kmph.

And here i keep reading about guys riding 1000 kms on some triumph tiger or bmw gs. Hogwash.

You remind me of the dude who biked around the world from Australia on a honda post bike (50 cc?).

Last edited by Red Liner : 19th August 2017 at 10:42.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2017, 21:08   #27
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
1300 kms in a day!!!! Where is this report?!! Jesus christ this is endurance biking on a motorcycle that probably doesn't go over 100 kmph.

And here i keep reading about guys riding 1000 kms on some triumph tiger or bmw gs. Hogwash.

You remind me of the dude who biked around the world from Australia on a honda post bike (50 cc?).
It was back in 2013 if I'm not wrong. The ride wasn't documented much as it was impromptu. Me and a fellow xBhpian(P180) started at around 4~5am on one day and I returned home around 10am the next.

As for documented rides here's something I wrote about my first taste of endurance riding, 1340 kms in a day on a Karizma R.

https://thebikerwithin.wordpress.com...22/kollihills/

The Discover 100 was equipped with an aftermarket seat as soon as it was brought home from the showroom as it was my means of transport to and from Bangalore which was a 750~800kms one side ride.

Not sure about Superbikes but I also do own a tour spec P220 with add-ons by Sahyadri, Mumbai but personally I dislike it. Takes away the essence of touring, what fun is a motorcycle that bores you to death. On that front the CT100B is kick ass keeps you engaged and is a whole different world of fun just like any other sub 150cc motorcycle.

I've read about the dude, there are many more who've toured the globe on the legendary Honda Cub. It was one of the top 10 motorcycles in BBC's list as they were unable to destroy the motorcycle no matter what they did to it, the video is on YouTube. Personally I'd any day any time go for a Cub than a GS, those things are really made to last.

But if you ask me we need not look far to spot badass motorcyclists who cross the 1k mark within a day, Shubham Bairy, a friend of mine from WB once rode down to Kollam, Kerala on a Bajaj Platina 125 when I was bedridden due to pulling a long one on the P220 and messing up my hip. This also goes to show that the connect among enthusiasts who ride small displacement motorcycles is the strongest.
Attached Thumbnails
Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-1503156998433.jpg  

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-1503157025225.jpg  

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-1503157035855.jpg  

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 19th August 2017 at 21:11.
ashwinprakas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th August 2017, 22:37   #28
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Honda Cub. It was one of the top 10 motorcycles in BBC's list as they were unable to destroy the motorcycle no matter what they did to it, the video is on YouTube.
For some reason I'm unable to edit my previous post hence quoting the correction.

The video was by Discovery Channel, and the Cub secured the first spot as the world's best motorcycle. Here's the video link.

Also something I missed to mention previously is that I changed the Air Filter at 5710 kms, 710 kms above my usual mark as the symptoms of running rich were ever too prominent.

On removal the old filter had caked carbon/dirt residue, which was a first for me and coming to think of it I should've snapped a picture(which I didn't as removing it made my hands real dirty resulting in me disposing it A.S.A.P) of the same as a reminder to strictly change the filter at 5k intervals.
Attached Thumbnails
Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-1503162414800.jpg  

Old 19th August 2017, 22:45   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Last weekend we did a 810 kms - 2 day run to Valparai and back.

The last time we did the same it was 1300+ kms on the Discover 100 4G in a day due to inadequate planning and keeping that in mind we left no stone unturned when it came to route planning and time management.

Only one word to say man - Respect

regards adrian
adrian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2017, 17:40   #30
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
Only one word to say man - Respect

regards adrian
Thank you for the kind words, pleased to know that you're from Trivandrum, I stay at Pothencode, please do let me know if any meetup's are planned as I'd love to join.

Also the main question being, what do you ride?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks