Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2019, 09:18   #91
BANNED

Re: Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!

So it was time for the 2019 xBhp ISG2G and I was planning to ride on my CT100B but the day before the ride I noticed that the holder part of the clutch cam rod had partially snapped.

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-imag0047.jpg

And unlike the P220 on the CT100B the holder being welded to the rod meant that I'd have to open the clutch cover to replace it.

Due to unavailability of parts I had to settle with the P220.

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-pano_20190927_111739.jpg

The ride was nice and I got to meet two TeamBhp'ians in a short span of time, namely Neil and Deepak;

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-img20190928wa0016.jpg

Wonderful gentlemen, Neil was riding his famous Yellow 535 a.k.a Captain and Deepak drove from Salem to Yercaud on his Audi the details of which I have no clue of, courtesy my car illiteracy.

It is truly amazing to meet people with such passion and hopefully Deepak would make a grand appearance in this section of the forum, I'll leave the specifics for him to disclose when he takes the plunge.

As for the ride, at Yercaud Neil and myself along with a few other enthusiasts decided to take a gnarly uphill off-road trail and I ended up burning my clutch clean off, courtesy riding with a pillion, don't do that!

Even with a burnt clutch I was able to manage interstate speeds on the return leg of the journey covering over 600km's.

Back at home I managed to get spares and fixed up the P220;

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-imag0082.jpg

Also did the same with the CT100B;

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-imag0091.jpg

A point I'd like to make is that the advantage of following strict oil replacement cycles is that even on high mileage vehicles your internals remain spotlessly clean.

Here's my P220 after close to 50k km's on the odo and running with a burnt clutch for extended periods.

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-imag0086.jpg

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-imag0093.jpg

This was the first time the centrifugal filter is being cleaned, the strainer on the oil pump also remains spotless.

Same was the case of the CT100B with close to 35k on the odo and having been ridden around the country;

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-imag0090.jpg

Spare availability was decent, we got a pre-assembled clutch from Bajaj but since it was misaligned it had to be taken apart and installed.

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-img20191001wa0051.jpg

Also changed the Scissor Gear on the P220 just for the heck of it.

On the CT100B we had replaced all seals on the clutch cover i.e Kicker and Clutch Rod. The careless guy at Sarathy Bajaj managed to give us the wrong spares and we ended up buying the complete seal kit for less than a hundred bucks from a local store, the manufacturer of the seal was same though, some Indian subsidiary of Mitsubishi.

All in all the experience was wonderful and both machines are back to running flawlessly.

Cheers,
A.P.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 3rd October 2019 at 09:25.
ashwinprakas is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 11:35   #92
BANNED

It's been raining some in Kerala and I've been sticking to the P220 courtesy both ends wrapped in MRF Masseter's but riding started to get boring so I decided to get back on the CT100B to bring some spice back into my life.

And what better way to do it than go for a short interstate food run!

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-img20191027wa0071.jpg

Accompanying me was the Hot-Rod P150 which like my CT100B can clock the same number on its speedo as is its displacement albeit the engine swap. And also tagging along was the Splendor which you guys would've already seen the past pages of this thread.

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-img20191027wa0070.jpg

We went towards the Border Biriyani Shop at Puliyarai which is near the checkpost on the TN side. This is a popular shop the beef takes some getting used to due to different preparation style by the Chicken was dope!

Over the years a valuable lesson life has taught me is that it is always best to buy a plate of Kushka and Fry, its way more rewarding than a plate of Biriyani plus its comparatively economical with regards to quantity.

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-img20191027wa0067.jpg

Just before we set back we snapped the ritualistic line up photo at the usual photo spot before reentering Kerala.

The P150 runs on TVS XL spokes and Impulse rear rims at both ends, which has got me thinking, I've scrapped my chain guard due to an upcoming ride that'd require chain inspections so seeing the Impulse setup it did give an idea to upside from 1.6 inches stock to the 2.15 inches of the Impulse, and then snap an open chain guard in place.

Lets wait and see how things would turn out to be.

Cheers,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 22:52   #93
BHPian

Tell us more about that Pulsar 150. It seems like a chimera of Pulsar iterations. Is it road legal?

About your 2.15 inches on your CT100 would be an overkill. Just swap it for 1.85 inch rims and get 90/90-18 (3.00-18) sections tyres instead. I would suggest Apollo.
Old 30th October 2019, 00:14   #94
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismaya View Post
Tell us more about that Pulsar 150. It seems like a chimera of Pulsar iterations. Is it road legal?
Here you go:

Salvage Builds: Build your own motorcycle!

Quote:
About your 2.15 inches on your CT100 would be an overkill. Just swap it for 1.85 inch rims and get 90/90-18 (3.00-18) sections tyres instead. I would suggest Apollo.
17 Inch Rims is what my motorcycle comes with, so I'm keeping that as it is as there are limited options in 18 inch category.

I'm currently on Appolo's, not the best. No better options in this size range as well, hence contemplating the change. Lets see.

Regards,
A.P.
Old 30th October 2019, 08:10   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Here you go:

Salvage Builds: Build your own motorcycle!

17 Inch Rims is what my motorcycle comes with, so I'm keeping that as it is as there are limited options in 18 inch category.

I'm currently on Appolo's, not the best. No better options in this size range as well, hence contemplating the change. Lets see.

Regards,
A.P.
TBH, Apollo Actizip and Actigrip are the best I have seen in 2.75-18 category.
Old 31st October 2019, 08:18   #96
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismaya View Post
TBH, Apollo Actizip and Actigrip are the best I have seen in 2.75-18 category.
ActiZip is manageable but ActiGrip is only decent on broken roads.

On even moderately wet tarmac or sometimes even on dry tarmac the motorcycle skids sideways on moderately hard braking, like in those old action movies.

Anyways I've been looking out for replacements, Zapper FY(Front) and Zapper FY2(Rear), both are front tyres but they are known to stick to the road so reversing the thread on the FY2 would get the job done.

Let's see.

Regards,
A.P.
Old 31st October 2019, 10:53   #97
BHPian

It's worth to give a try to Zapper C as well (rear). Works decently. It's the stock fitment on Pulsars NS.
Old 2nd November 2019, 14:40   #98
BANNED

I'd gone on a 1k+ km's run within the state of Kerala, it was a scheduled errand for which I had to be at Kozhikode and since I was anyways going I decided to roam around the place quite a bit to soak in the culture before my time was up.

Back in the day I've been to Kozhikode and back in a single day on my ZMA clocking around 1k km's circa 2012, the intention of the trip back then was to have a taste of the famous Kozhikode Biriyani, a fellow TBhpian(Now, Back in the day we were xBhpians) was also there for the ride, Guess who?

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-biriyani-ride.jpg

Hint! He Rides a R3 Now!

Anyways, the mileage wouldn't mean much to those who've never been in Kerala but trust me, it really is something to clock anything over 300 km's a day on Kerala roads.

Luckily this time even though there were light rains I was able to beat Google Maps's estimated arrival time by;

Day 1: 2 Hours when I opted for the Angamaly route.
Day 2: 1.5 hours when I opted for the Ponnani route.

This only works on the CT100B as it is challenging to maintain a higher average moving speed on the P220 within Kerala roads, though outcomes are the exact opposite when I'm riding the P220 to places like Chennai/Bangalore where the roads in between are decent for interstate speeds.

Anyhow, the first spot was the Kozhikode Beach.

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-img_20191030_171525.jpg

Once I reached Kozhikode the rains did pour a bit, but it just made things a bit more fun, though it did make taking pictures a challenge.

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-img_20191030_171138.jpg

Next spot was Beypore Port.

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-img_20191030_150058.jpg

There's a stretch reaching out into the sea, this is what it looks like from the shore;

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-img_20191030_150416.jpg

And this is what it looks like from the sea;

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-img_20191030_151748effects.jpg

Last place to drop by was Kappad Beach;

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-img_20191030_162411.jpg

If memory recalls right the spot in the picture from 2012 was also snapped somewhere there.

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-img_20191030_162559.jpg

It was on the return run that I noticed that I had missed to lube the chain, which is quite the mystery cause even though I scrapped the chainguard last week I missed to lube it.

The shiny rollers are quite evident;

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-img_20191101_100907.jpg

Another concern was that the Ponnani route was hell, way too many deviations, potholes and idiots playing Tetris on the road by trying to avoid them.

I did managed to hit quite a few sharp undulations at speed and in a bit my foot peg rubber started sliding off from all the standing, dodging and jumping;

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-img_20191101_104252.jpg

Kicked it back into place and resumed riding;

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-img_20191101_104311.jpg

Irrespective of where you return from, the sight of a homecoming signboard really does cheer you up!

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-img_20191101_113415.jpg

Even though I started my ride from Trivandrum, I ended it at Kollam as I had to run a few errands for the family, plus it was about time for an oil change and I managed to get a good deal on the following;

The oil guy whom I've been going to for almost a decade now gave me this for Rs.250/- a liter, an oil from Gulf was available for Rs.230/- but I've never tried ENI before hence went with this;

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-oil.jpg

Also I really need to find myself a compatible open chain guard for the CT100B, as the oil does splash on the already slippery rear Tyre quite a bit as you can see.

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-img_20191102_085109.jpg

Any and all suggestions welcome!

Until next time then!

Regards,
A.P.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 2nd November 2019 at 14:44.
ashwinprakas is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 21:20   #99
BANNED

Hi Everyone, I've got a big announcement this time!

After spending my time on TBhp I would be lying if I said I didn't catch the Italian bug, so its finally time to let you guys know that a new addition would be made to my garage by tomorrow.

Had got a call of confirmation and gone to the place today and paid the amount in full for my Italian beauty and I've been informed that she would be delivered at my doorstep after registration formalities by tomorrow evening.

So wish me luck!

Regards,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 21:53   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Hi Everyone, I've got a big announcement this time!

After spending my time on TBhp I would be lying if I said I didn't catch the Italian bug, so its finally time to let you guys know that a new addition would be made to my garage by tomorrow.

Had got a call of confirmation and gone to the place today and paid the amount in full for my Italian beauty and I've been informed that she would be delivered at my doorstep after registration formalities by tomorrow evening.

So wish me luck!

Regards,
A.P.
I am going first.

Ducati Multistrada 1260 Enduro?
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 22:33   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

I too believe that it is going to be a Ducati.

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-ducatiscramblertestridereview.jpg
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2019, 07:54   #102
Team-BHP Support

I'm going against the tide and suggesting that big sounds like a sarcasm.

Expecting something nice, small and practical.

PS: I myself wouldn't want to ride a Multistrada Enduro or even my Versys for that matter regularly on Kerala roads.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2019, 08:19   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
M.
I have to agree here. What’s the smart money on? Aprilia 125/150? Or something more fun from the benelli stable?

Whatever little I know of Ashwin via the forum suggests big doesn’t equal better (and I wholeheartedly agree)
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2019, 09:55   #104
BHPian

Whatever it is , i suggest that you ride it for sometime and write an ownership experience thread before putting your DIY hands on it. .

Last edited by srini1785 : 13th November 2019 at 09:56.
srini1785 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2019, 20:41   #105
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Ducati Multistrada 1260 Enduro?
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I too believe that it is going to be a Ducati
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

Expecting something nice, small and practical.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
I have to agree here. What’s the smart money on? Aprilia 125/150? Or something more fun from the benelli stable?
Ha! She's a 1999 Bajaj Chetak!

Here's a video a fellow enthusiast shared of her massive entry!

I say she's Italian cause she is basically a Vespa 150.

She has a monocoque chassis and the rear tyre is mounted directly on the output shaft of the transmission, no chain, belt, shaft etc. drama there.

Anyways, thank you for the well wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
Whatever it is , i suggest that you ride it for sometime and write an ownership experience thread before putting your DIY hands on it. .
Indeed, planning to ride her for some time, I say ''time'' cause the speedo died after she crossed 2,23,000+ km's in about 20 years. Not too keen on fixing the speedo as I really do need to get over my mileage addiction, at least with it not running I'd cut down on pointless runs here and there simply to clock figures on the odo.

For the time being I also intend to keep the other motorcycles aside and ride her and change consumables as and when available, no rush.

Would change transmission oil by the end of this month and then follow a 3 month change interval.

Would take my own sweet time before an ownership thread is up cause I really am clueless about 2 Strokes and this model in particular.

Quote:
PS: I myself wouldn't want to ride a Multistrada Enduro or even my Versys for that matter regularly on Kerala roads.
The pain is real, Amen to that!

Quote:
Whatever little I know of Ashwin via the forum suggests big doesn’t equal better (and I wholeheartedly agree)
Amen to that as well, the Chetak really is all about getting the job done, she weighs less than my bare-bone CT100B and yet has enough storage space that'd put my tank bag to shame, and I'm not even going to mention the provision for a spare tyre, why on earth did manufacturers phase that out?

Cheers,
A.P.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 14th November 2019 at 21:02.
ashwinprakas is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks