Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2017, 09:55   #31
BANNED

Re: Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Thank you for the kind words, pleased to know that you're from Trivandrum, I stay at Pothencode
Dear Ashwin, I am on the lookout for an affordable 100-110 cc two wheeler to be used as a daily rider and have so far shortlisted the new CT 100 ES. I like the CT 100 B better but kickstarting it umpteen times at every traffic signal here at Bangalore would be a pain and hence the requirement of an electric start.

Now, by the looks of it, the ES comes with a different engine compared to the B and that has gotten me thinking a bit since I need long term reliability and a 100% fuss free biking experience from it. The other option that comes to mind is the HF deluxe but that will put me back by at least another 5k INR, not something I m very keen on.

What is your advice please?

PS: The Platina BS 4 apparently has battery issues and I have hence dropped it.
Old 12th September 2017, 04:51   #32
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Dear Ashwin, I am on the lookout for an affordable 100-110 cc two wheeler to be used as a daily rider and have so far shortlisted the new CT 100 ES. I like the CT 100 B better but kickstarting it umpteen times at every traffic signal here at Bangalore would be a pain and hence the requirement of an electric start.
The CT100B runs off a round slide carb like most motorcycles in the sub 150cc category which is least affected by external factors, hence kick starting would not be a concern, honestly this is my first kick-only motorcycle and I'm more than pleased with it, cause a lazy push is all thats needed to get the motor running.

If you're still insisting on a self starter then you have many options available, the CT100 ES and Platina ES are almost alike, I used to ride a Discover 100 4G which ran off a similar(I say similar as the Discover 100 ran off a 94.38cc motor where as the Platina 100 ES runs off a 102cc motor) motor and all was good considering that it was used primarily for Bangalore - Kollam runs which ranged from 750 ~ 800 Kms depending on route, though around 15k on the ODO I did notice a an increase in timing chain noise but that was expected and I cant say anything in comparisson as my CT100B has done only around 7.5k on the ODO.

Engine aside you would need to consider other factors such as the frustration that comes along with owning a motorcycle with fairings, the Platina 100ES as well as the CT100 ES have a lot of plastic in comparisson to the CT100B and they can get a little noisy as I've experienced with my Discover 100.

From a routine maintenance POV all commuters are alike, the new generation motors are more DIY friendly as they come with externally removable oil filter where as the CT100B comes with a prehistoric centrifugal filter.

For highway runs I'd still prefer the new motor's simply cause though technically long stroke they have a linear power delivery compared to the CT100B which is technically a short stroke but has an aggressive power curve.

Quote:
Now, by the looks of it, the ES comes with a different engine compared to the B and that has gotten me thinking a bit since I need long term reliability and a 100% fuss free biking experience from it. The other option that comes to mind is the HF deluxe but that will put me back by at least another 5k INR, not something I m very keen on.
Spot on about the motor as I've mentioned most of the specifics above, the only cofusion left is whether the CT100 ES runs off the 102cc motor or the 94.38cc motor, either way it would still last a long while before requiring an overhaul but my heart tells me that the CT100B is more reliable, though in my case I'd have to wait a bit longer to practically confirm the same.

Even if in case you'd require a rebuild these things cost peanuts to fix, the advantage that the CT100B has over the newer blocks is that the motor has been around for decades hence spare availability would not be a concern, the same cannot be said about the newer blocks simply because the 94.38cc motor if not used by the CT100ES is no longer in production, though even in the event of discontinued models I'm yet to come across a user complain about Bajaj as I know enthusiasts who still ride the P220 DTSFi and have successfully crossed the 100k mark a long time ago and are still happy with the motorcycle.

Quote:
What is your advice please?

PS: The Platina BS 4 apparently has battery issues and I have hence dropped it.
You would be the better judge of that cause essentially all Bajaj motorcycles are similar when it comes to ownership, only difference is the way they make power and what suits me might not be up to your taste.

If battery issues are the only concern faced by the Platina BS4's then I'd suggest you consult with your SVC to learn more about the issue, cause if its the battery alone that is at fault then you need not worry much as it would be taken care off under warranty, which Bajaj is very particular about.

Hope I've helped.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 12th September 2017 at 04:54.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2017, 18:02   #33
BANNED

Hey everyone, my travelogue for the Valparai ride is out.

Bajaj CT100B: 850 km ride from Trivandrum to Valparai

As of now she has done a total of 7.5k km's on the ODO. 2 more travelogues are pending, and would be put up shortly, hopefully.
ashwinprakas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2017, 08:48   #34
BANNED

Hey guys, had to leave early yesterday hence couldn't share the link to my latest travelogue about doing some Trail Riding on the CT100B;

Bajaj CT100B: Achankovil Trail Riding

As of now she is at 8.5k km's on the ODO, I have a spare Bajaj Discover 150F handle bar with me which I intent to use on the CT100B as it has provisions for bar ends which I find desirable compared to the insert type adapters I'm currently using to support the hand guards.
Old 2nd November 2017, 14:53   #35
BHPian

Living in the himalayas, i required a bike for trails. my concerns were weight, punchy engine, lean build and low saddle height. i needed a modern version of rx100. I actively considered impulse but the engine at high altitudes was lethargic. the height was scary for me and if you tip over it can mean serious injury. So I got my self a duke 200. It was relatively light weight, had engine power than was way beyond my needs on trails, could double up as my touring bike, was naked design so less damage on falls. Only saddle height was a little high. I still have the bike. But i injured my knee on it and damaged my ACL. SO now i am looking for a bike with i can take on trails. This time ive made up my mind to put an upper limit on weight and height. I am willing to sacrifice power.
again Rx100 is my reference and how I wish we could get that bike today. So i'm looking at CT100B, splendor , and navi. i need to strip down the bikes to bare minimum and would try to get the weight to below 90kgs if that's possible. something on the lines of a lean tracker. Upper speed limits are not a concern as long as i am able to do 60kmph easily. i'd like to know the perspective of people here.
regards
vibhavraghav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2017, 05:26   #36
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibhavraghav View Post
Living in the himalayas, i required a bike for trails. my concerns were weight, punchy engine, lean build and low saddle height. i needed a modern version of rx100. I actively considered impulse but the engine at high altitudes was lethargic. the height was scary for me and if you tip over it can mean serious injury. So I got my self a duke 200. It was relatively light weight, had engine power than was way beyond my needs on trails, could double up as my touring bike, was naked design so less damage on falls. Only saddle height was a little high. I still have the bike. But i injured my knee on it and damaged my ACL. SO now i am looking for a bike with i can take on trails. This time ive made up my mind to put an upper limit on weight and height. I am willing to sacrifice power.
again Rx100 is my reference and how I wish we could get that bike today. So i'm looking at CT100B, splendor , and navi. i need to strip down the bikes to bare minimum and would try to get the weight to below 90kgs if that's possible. something on the lines of a lean tracker. Upper speed limits are not a concern as long as i am able to do 60kmph easily. i'd like to know the perspective of people here.
regards
Completely ignore the Navi, I personally know people who've run trails on it for pleasure but the moment you think of trying anything serious you have a lot to think about such as maintaining traction downhill, distance range, alternate fuel storage etc.

As for the CT100B well, it's stripped from factory and I would've recommend it as I've successfully done some serious trail riding with it but as long as you have a Splendor in sight it's better to opt for the latter.

Reasons being, linear torque delivery, substantial torque at almost all RPM ranges, horizontal engine which makes tappet adjustments a breeze which is a huge deal for a motorcycle used for trails.

The CT100B is a screamer by nature and you'll get hand cramps within a short while from working the clutch but with the Splendor climbing inclines is a breeze as it feels like a truck riding the crawler gear, steady and well planted.

Hope this helps.
ashwinprakas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2017, 12:29   #37
BHPian

Quote:
As for the CT100B well, it's stripped from factory and I would've recommend it as I've successfully done some serious trail riding with it but as long as you have a Splendor in sight it's better to opt for the latter.

Reasons being, linear torque delivery, substantial torque at almost all RPM ranges, horizontal engine which makes tappet adjustments a breeze which is a huge deal for a motorcycle used for trails.

The CT100B is a screamer by nature and you'll get hand cramps within a short while from working the clutch but with the Splendor climbing inclines is a breeze as it feels like a truck riding the crawler gear, steady and well planted.

Hope this helps.
I had moved to Chennai in June month and had been longing to buy a 2-wheeler. When my wife came down from Bengaluru for Diwali vacations, we begin the bike hunting and enquired at TVS, Bajaj, and Hero showroom near Velachery, Chennai. The TVS Sport looked a great package and for the self start version, it cost about 57K. The saleslady was very courteous and explained every thing in detail. I thought it would be a great buy and would have returned to them if zeroed on TVS. Next, we went to the Bajaj center which was more of service center than sales center. Far from being courteous, he should zilch interest in selling it. I and wifey were like if he shows so much attitude to sell it, he will never service it and so we quietly came out. The price was nearly 42K for the CT100B.
Next, we came to the Mohana motors and enquired for Splendor. The showroom were the usual courteous. There was an excellent offer during the festive season, there was Rs. 3K cashback if purchased from PayTM. Luckily, for me there was an additional Rs.1500/- cashback for transacting through ICICI debit/credit card. Further, the showroom people threw freebies up to Rs.800/-, including tank cover, seat cover, engine guard, side handle, and buzzer. With benefits of nearly 5K+, the infinitely tested best 100 cc engine, and the No.1 bike seller for nearly 25 years made it a no contest. I am very happy with the Splendor. So, check for cashback options too.
Old 13th November 2017, 15:33   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Completely ignore the Navi,....
That's a very crisp and clear answer and really appreciated. I'll focus on the splendor then. Do you also have any ideas on how to reduce weight and a realistic reduction that can be achieved. Thank you. I also chanced upon a bike called United 125 that is sold in some countries including Pak. Some kind of a Chinese make. It's exactly the kind of bike i'm looking to build. at some point maybe i'll like to plonk in bigger engine into the splendor. Future fantasies :P . Do have a look at that bike. Thank you so much for your help.

Last edited by vibhavraghav : 13th November 2017 at 15:37.
Old 14th November 2017, 09:52   #39
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibhavraghav View Post
That's a very crisp and clear answer and really appreciated. I'll focus on the splendor then. Do you also have any ideas on how to reduce weight and a realistic reduction that can be achieved. Thank you. I also chanced upon a bike called United 125 that is sold in some countries including Pak. Some kind of a Chinese make. It's exactly the kind of bike i'm looking to build. at some point maybe i'll like to plonk in bigger engine into the splendor. Future fantasies :P . Do have a look at that bike. Thank you so much for your help.
If you want a light weight brand new motorcycle then you can either go for the Splendor Classic which is offered at huge discounts due to discontinuation or the Hero HF Dawn which is similar to the CT100B i.e no fuel gauge and trip meter.

If you dont mind going for the used market then grab any Splendor with its cycle parts in good condition for around 10~15k and rebuild it to your liking, other than the fiber panels there's nothing more you can discard to drop then weight, other than going for a battery eliminator which again is not recommended.

If bigger engine is what your heart desires then go for a used Hero Honda Glamour, thought spare availability is not as affluent as the Splendor they're still decent, the Horizontal engine on the Glamour is a killer, though not known for its reliability it is mocked as the Bolero of motorcycles, making peak torque at 4k RPM which even puts the RE thumper's to shame.

The only reason I've skipped the Shine is due to it being more highway friendly in comparison.

As for the United, well with Bore & Stroke at 56.5 x 49.5 mm(Screamer!), it's a no brainer to go for the Glamour with Bore x stroke at 52.4 x 57.8 mm or even the Honda Shine which has the same profile as the Glamour but makes peak 1.5k RPM later.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 15:17   #40
BHPian

Hi aswin - hows your CT 100B doing? I am planning to get one for my daily commutes in BLR - 5kms one way. I guess CT 100B should easily fit the bill and easy to maintain. Need your inputs on this.
Old 12th January 2018, 12:31   #41
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Hi aswin - hows your CT 100B doing? I am planning to get one for my daily commutes in BLR - 5kms one way. I guess CT 100B should easily fit the bill and easy to maintain. Need your inputs on this.
She's doing wonderful, recently completed the 10k km's mark.

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-26168852_1496996160421933_3932905823812596759_n.jpg

You have two engine options, the CT100B which comes with the age-old Kawasaki derived motor or the CT100 Self Start which comes with the new motor.

My personal bet would be on the CT100B simply because its;

1. Fun to ride, due to the aggressive torque octave at the beginning of the power band.

2. Cheaper to run, as this one comes with a rotary oil filter than practically needs to be looked into only around the time the clutch needs to be replaced.

3. Ease of spare availability, this motor has been around for close to 3 decades and is the only thing that remotely stands neck to neck with the Hero Splendor, so spare availability be it OEM or otherwise would not be something you'd have to bother about for a very long time.

In comparison the CT100 Self Start is;

1. Better suited for the highways as the torque delivery is mostly linear through the rev range.

2. Better oil filtration as it comes with a replaceable oil filter that practically should be replaced during every oil change.

3. Fairly new motor considering that the first iteration showed up in the Discover 100 4G in a 95cc avatar and then went up to its current form at 102cc with an increase in stroke. But spare availability with any Bajaj has never been a concern so nothing much to be bothered as long as you have a decent Bajaj spares outlet nearby, the DTS-Fi owners can vouch for this claim.

One peculiar thing about these low displacement Bajaj motor's is how contrarily they put down torque, the CT100B is a short stroke at 53.0 mm X 45.0 mm but the aggressive torque curve makes you believe that it's a long stroke, whereas the CT100 ES is a long stroke at 47 mm X 58.8 mm but the linear torque delivery makes you think otherwise.

Since you did mention only 10 km's in a day you could reach out to Hero outlets and see if they have any Splendor Classic's in their inventory, there'd be even 2015 manufactured ones and you could try to talk them into giving you a substantial discount which a year ago was 15k and hopefully might've gone up. The first post of this thread would provide a detailed comparison between the CT100B and Splendor, and since the distance you'd be covering is short the sportier position of the Splendor Classic wont pose much issues and might even be more fun!
ashwinprakas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th January 2018, 18:49   #42
BANNED

Have taken her to the highest of peaks and lowest of trenches, belted her on the highways like nobody's business without skipping a beat.

And then I decide to pressure wash her for the first time, now she idles fine but skips fires and shakes like crazy and gives out black smoke when I open the throttle, in short she idles fine but is un-ride-able.

Draining the carb and tank now.

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-img_0588.jpg

Everything seems to be dry as far as I can see;

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-img_0589.jpg

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-img_0590.jpg

But if she still acts up when reassembled, what else should I look into?

Update:

If I let her idle for a while she picks up revs normally and I get to ride her for around 500 meters the firing becomes irregular and she resumes her tantrum.

Would be changing the plug tomorrow along with both brakes, brake cables and throttle cable. AF was changed earlier today.
ashwinprakas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th January 2018, 17:14   #43
BANNED

Changed the following;
  1. Spark Plug.
  2. Front and Rear brake shoes.
  3. Clutch cable(Boxer).
  4. Front brake cable(New CT100B uses a longer cable than the old CT100, hence after trying out a lot of cables I settled with a non-OEM(Silco Cables) option for New Platina ES)

Replacing the SP didn't resolve yesterdays turmoil, which on further diagnosing was due to the stator connector shorting due to water getting trapped inside the connector. Had bought some lithium based bearing grease for the drum studs and axle greasing, which I profusely applied on the connector in question and the CDI and RR unit connectors to prevent similar instances from reoccurring.

Have also managed to relocate the stator connector to sit under the tank rather than hang next the the battery compartment, will see after the next pressure wash if any of the effort put in would bear fruit.

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-dsc00389.jpg

Also do be careful while sourcing cables as some of the old CT100 cables don't work with the CT100B, here are pics of my stock clutch and front brake cable for reference.

Brake Cable

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-dsc00392.jpg

Clutch Cable

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-dsc00390.jpg

Having not so good experience with the above cables I didn't bother to touch the throttle cable.

Was a tad exhausted after the running around and labor so left oil change for tomorrow, bought a bottle of Castrol Power 1 20W50, just to see if Castrol is as bad as people claim it to be.
Old 20th January 2018, 00:43   #44
BANNED

Hi Guys,

Please find attached the spares catalog/manual for the Bajaj CT100B. I believe this would help those in need due to there being a degree of incompatibility between spares among different CT/Boxer variants.

Enjoy.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CT100B Spares Catalog.pdf (4.47 MB, 26549 views)
Old 13th February 2018, 02:31   #45
BANNED

13 days, 14 states, 7600 km's.

Completed the Golden Quadrilateral circuit on my CT100B.

The motorcycle performed brilliantly and saying that would be an understatement as she was pinned at WOT for 99% of the time, oil change was done within 2000~2500 km's range. Castrol Power 1 20W50 made her more rev friendly where as Shell AX5 20W50 and Valvoline 4T Premium 20W50 made her a bit sluggish at times. She did 100kmph true speed as per the attached cyclocomputer while clocking 115+kmph on the speedometer. There was mild tappet noise when the motor was hot after riding for 150+km's at a stretch but vanished after a short break. Overall the experience was wonderful.
ashwinprakas is offline   (15) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks