Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2019, 14:56   #106

Re: Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!

Hi Ashwin, I'm one of those people who went for the CT100B after reading your posts. This is my first motorcycle (bought a year ago) and i enjoy riding it. Also following your advice on oil change every 2K. Also learned to do some basic maintenance like spark plug cleaning, etc. I wished to thank you since a long time and i finally joined the forum last week. Thank you very much for your posts. I greatly enjoy your road trip reports too.
I need a favor from you. I would like to replace the headlamp to a brighter one like yours. I was hoping you could help me with the parts to purchase and the process you mentioned that also involved soldering. I would have to get it done at a garage as i lack these skills. I greatly appreciate your time. Congratulations on your new motorcycle. Thanks, Arvind.
arvindj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2019, 23:07   #107
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindj View Post
Hi Ashwin, I'm one of those people who went for the CT100B after reading your posts. This is my first motorcycle (bought a year ago) and i enjoy riding it. Also following your advice on oil change every 2K. Also learned to do some basic maintenance like spark plug cleaning, etc. I wished to thank you since a long time and i finally joined the forum last week. Thank you very much for your posts. I greatly enjoy your road trip reports too.
I need a favor from you. I would like to replace the headlamp to a brighter one like yours. I was hoping you could help me with the parts to purchase and the process you mentioned that also involved soldering. I would have to get it done at a garage as i lack these skills. I greatly appreciate your time. Congratulations on your new motorcycle. Thanks, Arvind.
Thank you for the kind words.

I am contemplating a change to my current headlight setup, if you're fine with waiting I can post the updates after I'm done, currently the setup I have is of the Dawn/Ambition, and sadly the quality is crap compared to stock as my reflector has considerable burns and the metal ring has rusted quite a bit.

A friend and fellow enthusiast would be giving me his CT100 HL unit coupled with Hella reflector, once I experiment with that I'd be able to guide you properly as I have lost confidence in Hero/Honda parts, period.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2019, 08:16   #108

Thanks for the reply. Sorry to note the quick deterioration of the lumax headlight. I will wait for the results of your new experiment. The stock headlight is insufficient to illuminate streets without lampposts.
Old 30th December 2019, 20:58   #109
BANNED

Hey guys, I'm sorry for the delay, as some of ya'll know I'd kept the CT100B aside for a bit and started clocking miles on my P220 as I have a personal attachment to my motorcycles and I didn't wan't to cross her 5th year anniversary without clocking a rounded 50k on the odo, and that I did!

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-img20191210wa0055.jpg

Now coming to the CT100B, I'd clocked 35k on the odo a while ago but I guess I didn't post it here for some reason, so here goes;

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-whatsapp-image-20191230-20.05.17.jpeg

She's currently inching closer to the 40k mark and I'll post a picture once shes past that milestone.

Recently I'd been called to be at Kasargod which is the Northernmost district of Kerala along with my friend who rides a Splendor, both of us being from the Southernmost district i.e Trivandrum decided to make the best out of it and decided to make it our year end ride.

And here begins the tale of our last ride of 2019!

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-img_20191227_155643.jpg

Total distance clocked was over 1300 km's end to end to end which we covered in two days of riding. We clocked 650+ km's a day in about 16.5 hours, which might seem pathetic as I've clocked longer distances in way less time on the interstate but then this is Kerala!!!

We visited Muzhipilangad Beach which is the longest drive-in beach in the whole of Asia!

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-img_20191227_154544.jpg

We rode through Mahe which is a Union Territory of Pondichery, Petrol here was cheap by 6/-.

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-img_20191227_140723.jpg

We stopped at Hotel Paris at Thalassery which people say is one of the older and better hotels in the area,

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-img_20191227_151821.jpg

But I disagree, I've had much better biriyani's down south, and you can take my word for it as I tried most of what they had to offer!

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-img_20191227_150320954.jpg

After that we visited Bekkal Fort;

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-img_20191228_175342.jpg

And also dropped by to have a peek at a function that supposedly is held only once every 700 years or so, the 'Perumkaliyattam'

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-img_20191228_184825.jpg

During the ride to Kasargod we started at 3:00 AM and only faced a minor inconvenience with the Splendor when she refused to fire up after stalling, but that was resolved in under a minute as it was the result of an air-lock, once the tank lid was opened and closed she fired up without a hick-up.

We spotted a Red Multi Strada and a Blue Africa Twin, I presumed it would be Ethanhunt since I know no one else who rides a MS, but CD confirmed it wasn't him, so that was that.

On our return ride to Trivandrum we started a bit late at 7:00 AM, and on our way back were able to spot quite a few enthusiasts though none I personally know, some of the lively folk waved at us and we waved back. Some sporting MH plates were munching miles and too focused to notice us, if its anyone from here do drop a holler!

Riding during the noon, the sun did wear us down quite a bit and it did result in the Splendor rear ending the CT100B on one instance when I had to rapidly drop speed, though it was a harsh hit to the rear I fortunately did not lose balance and was still standing, and even more impressive was that nothing broke on the CT100B which was reassuring as it was Sunday and replacement parts would be really hard to come by if something critical as a brake light would've broke or stopped working.

Anyhow, we reached Trivandrum way past bedtime and called it a day, though this being a ride through the entire length of Kerala meant that I would be dead tired the next day and that surely was the case today!

Until next time folks!

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-img_20191227_155552.jpg

Cheers and Happy Holidays,
A.P.

Last edited by Aditya : 31st December 2019 at 10:55. Reason: Typo
ashwinprakas is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st February 2020, 16:17   #110

Hi Ashwin. If you meant that you will be replacing the stock reflector with Hella in the original HL, I could attempt doing that and post the results here. I can do the experiment and you can see the results. I should have said this in the first place. I hope the replacement is not too challenging and you can help me with the part list and know-how.

Best, Arvind.
arvindj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2020, 18:45   #111
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindj View Post
Hi Ashwin. If you meant that you will be replacing the stock reflector with Hella in the original HL, I could attempt doing that and post the results here. I can do the experiment and you can see the results. I should have said this in the first place. I hope the replacement is not too challenging and you can help me with the part list and know-how.

Best, Arvind.
Posted in the nick of time!

I'd ridden around using the Hella setup on the ZMA which is full DC using the same 45/40 HS1 bulb and I have to say the output of the Hella isn't promising at all, which in all probability is due to them not being MFR's.

My search continues, when I do arrive at the perfect setup I would be sure to post.

Until then you could simply get a stock replacement Osram Silverstar 35/35 using the stock factory reflector which is of superior quality compared to even the likes on the ones that come factory on Hero motorcycles.

Cheers,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2020, 00:05   #112

Haha. I'll do that. Good to know that Bajaj provides worthy stuff. I very much like riding the CT100B. One doesn't look strange on it even with a jacket on, gloves on and a graphic helmet. Also i'm a conservative rider. I was in Trivandrum for 3 days and i really liked the place. It was a shame i could not move around much as it was a business trip. The classically attired and behaved traffic inspectors, the friendly people around who would smile at me speaking in Kannada (i'm kannada speaking who grew up in the suburbs of Bombay), etc. Let me know if i can be of use to you from Hyderabad. Cheers, Arvind.
arvindj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2020, 00:22   #113
BANNED

Hey guys,

The CT100B has been running funny for a while, there's an uncanny wobble at times when going through certain surfaces, I cannot seem to find whats exactly causing it and have failed to intentionally recreate it.

Since I'm anyhow going to upsize the rims I thought it would be best to give her some rest and get back on the P220 after replacing a few Seals and a O ring and using some liquid gasket on the neutral switch, all the said parts needn't be replaced but she was facing a concerning oil leak after I'd been careless enough to go on an interstate run with the chain tightened pretty tight.

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-img_20200112_191602.jpg

As you can see the front sprocket has also considerably worn down due to running the chain so tight. Being lazy I replaced all the seals and O rings in the area along with the output shaft collar so that I'd not have to bother with a leak from that general area for another 50k km's or so.

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-img_20200125_163334.jpg

Anyhow after the DIY fix she was running fine and I thought it best to do a run to Coimbatore, been wanting to visit the Isha Foundation for a while and seized the opportunity when a fellow enthusiast from Kochi and his friend also decided to join.

I clocked a total of 900km's, we were 3 on two motorcycles, me alone on my P220 and Jothish and Suraj on the Gixxer.

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-dsc_0003.jpg

I started riding from about 2AM and Jothish and Suraj joined me at Angamaly by about 7AM. We reached by 12PM.

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-dsc_0015.jpg

Initially I was planning a hit and run kinda ride, go to the place, snap a picture with Adiyogi and then ride back home.

But let me tell you, spending time there is a MUST! It is simply awesome! Photography wasn't permitted inside hence you'd have to take my word for it, we partook in two different types of meditation, one at the Dhyanalinga and the other in a cool water tank, a first for me.

Truly refreshing experience!

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-dsc_0083.jpg

But yeah, all the walking did wear me down as you can see in the below picture, the others were physically fit and were unfazed, DARN THE SKINNY ONES!

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-dsc_0132.jpg

I was more than relieved to get back on the motorcycle, though I only rode back the following day after staying at Gandhipuram for the night partying with the guys.

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-dsc_0184.jpg

But yeah, I'll be back, and I suggest anyone and everyone to visit this spot at least once, I've been to several other spiritual hotspot's around the country but this one surely did give me quite an experience to remember.

So until next time folks!

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-dsc_0122.jpg

Cheers,
A.P.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 9th February 2020 at 00:30.
ashwinprakas is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th February 2020, 09:10   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Hey guys,

The CT100B has been running funny for a while, there's an uncanny wobble at times when going through certain surfaces, I cannot seem to find whats exactly causing it and have failed to intentionally recreate it.
The most likely reasons for wobbles are:
1) wheel rim alignment (truing)
2) loose spokes
3) worn out wheel bearings
4) damaged tyre
5) worn out fork slider bush
6) fork oil low or different viscosity in one leg
7) steering bearing (cup and cone arrangement) loose

I presume you have already checked a few of these. My bike once suffered a damaged tyre leading to odd wobbles. A mechanic finally narrowed down the cause and when I changed the tyre, the problem was solved.

I hope this helps.
Motard_Blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2020, 10:34   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys,

Well what a coincidence. One of my friend who has a Discover 100 suffers the same issue and gone to the extent of naming his bike "The Drunken Master".
Coming back to the Issue, the wobbling in his case increases as the load on his motorcycle increases.I have told him to check-
1- Swingarm bushes
2- Rims
3- Tyres for improper mounting or damage
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2020, 11:50   #116
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
The most likely reasons for wobbles are:
1) wheel rim alignment (truing)
2) loose spokes
3) worn out wheel bearings
4) damaged tyre
5) worn out fork slider bush
6) fork oil low or different viscosity in one leg
7) steering bearing (cup and cone arrangement) loose
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
1- Swingarm bushes
2- Rims
3- Tyres for improper mounting or damage
Thank you for the replies guys.

The wobbling can only be felt by me, there are no visual indicator even when someones trailing me on another motorcycle.

The wheels had been trued less than a year ago, its roughly been 10~15k since it was done, but yes since I'd be be changing rims and spokes soon it'd be taken care of.

The wheel bearings are factory ones,haven't touched them, same goes for the swing arm bush, the front shocks and the coneset. The odo is nearing 40k but I'm yet to replace anything other than the control cables, air filter, sparkplug and engine oil as far as the consumables go.

Since both wheels would be taken off the motorcycle I am contemplating changing the wheel bearings, the shocks and the rest I guess I'd keep riding them until one of the oil seals give up at which point I'd simply overhaul the entire front end, less work for me considering all things.
Old 2nd March 2020, 16:13   #117
BANNED

38,500 km's Update!

I'm yet to change the Rims or the Headlight, but hoping to do so once the Chetak's restoration is complete, since it's being done in-house it's taking us quite a bit of time and effort.

But anyhow I decided to get back on the CT100B as the P220 was starting to bore me to death and so we crossed the 38,500kms mark which warranted an oil change.

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-img_20200229_151310.jpg

Since I was at my parents place at Kollam, I used up some of the oil I'd bought earlier for my mom's F10D Zen Estilo, since the car was clocking miles at a snails pace and wouldn't require a change in the foreseeable future.

Plus I'm too cheap to buy new oil without exhausting my current stock.

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-img_20200229_151527.jpg

Along with the oil change had also adjusted the chain, which is currently 13.5 kms old and has only half of its life left.

Had scrapped the lower half of the chain guard ages ago.

Anyhow decided to do a FE check by reserve to reserve and arrived at a shocking conclusion.

You really cannot expect decent figures if you clock 80kmph on the Speedo in 3rd gear maxing out at 12K RPM.

Bajaj CT100B - Utilitarianism Redefined!-img20200301wa0036.jpg

Guess now people would believe me when I tell them that both my motorcycles return more or less the same FE.

Cheers,
A.P.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 2nd March 2020 at 16:21.
ashwinprakas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2020, 17:50   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Since I was at my parents place at Kollam, I used up some of the oil I'd bought earlier for my mom's F10D Zen Estilo, since the car was clocking miles at a snails pace and wouldn't require a change in the foreseeable future.
You're using car engine oil in the bike. Don't you experience any clutch slippage owing to the wet clutch system?
Old 2nd March 2020, 19:02   #119
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
You're using car engine oil in the bike. Don't you experience any clutch slippage owing to the wet clutch system?
I've used Car Oil, HDEO, Generic Oil and what not in my motorcycles, yet to experience clutch slip arising from the same and if anyone would experience slip it'd be me taking my weight as well as riding style into the equation.

If you look around TBhp you'll find posts of users using HDEO's even on their Hyperbikes.

As long as you change oil religiously, the cheapest generic oil available would do more good than the priciest motorcycle oil changed at extended intervals.

And me being cheap I'd anyday choose a motor oil costing 200/- per liter over a motorcycle oil costing over double that amount.

Cheers,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2020, 20:42   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

And me being cheap I'd anyday choose a motor oil costing 200/- per liter over a motorcycle oil costing over double that amount.

Cheers,
A.P.
I wouldn't be surprised if that contraption (Pun Intended) would even run with used cooking oil. That said, for the commuter class engines, I would stick with the cheapest oil and religiously change it at every 1000km. At the worst, I would stick to the SVC issued ones.
During my Unicorn days, when the entire world was going gaga over Motul 300V, tried it once, the bike didn't cross 90, got bogged down, rode for 50km, approached the first Shell Petrol pump, replaced it with a mineral 20W40 and voila...avante.
I also remember using Shell Rimula Diesel engine oil on my zma, the bike ran butter smooth and didn't notice any slippage.
rakesh_r is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks