Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2006, 01:59   #16
Senior - BHPian

I'm trying out Yamaha's silicone spray protector now - it supposedly cleans, lubricates and protects. For the money they charge, it had better do all that and then some...

OT, but can anyone confirm whether one of our leather-makers back home brings out biking jackets? I saw one at hi-design, but it was brown and heavy. good design, good wind protection and features some padding at elbow, but it ws too heavy.

The ones out here are outrageously expensive....for the price of a regular nylon/lycra jacket with padding I could buy 3 hi-design leathers.
Old 19th December 2006, 05:24   #17
BANNED

After how many KMS does the chain needs to checked for slackness & lubrication ?

I usually check my Pulsar's chain slackness between every 1000-1500 KMS. OR Does it need to be checked only after every 2500 KMS like given in the Pulsar's manual ?
Old 19th December 2006, 12:27   #18
BHPian

Usually its a good practice to check the chain every 1000kms if you do normal commuting and in case you ride your bike fast than 500kms would be better. However all this changes once you ride through rain, also if your chain is exposed than you need to lubricate it before every wash to ensure that water does not causes rust.
Old 19th December 2006, 22:19   #19
Senior - BHPian

hmmm what does a rusted chain cause? my ol chain was rusted since a loong time (2+ years) didnt give any probs. changed the chain sprocket kit last month ( first time since 6 yrs)
Old 20th December 2006, 01:30   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
hmmm what does a rusted chain cause? my ol chain was rusted since a loong time (2+ years) didnt give any probs. changed the chain sprocket kit last month ( first time since 6 yrs)
Nothing much, apart from few minor things like:

Some power would be lost in transmission which means lower power output and lower fuel mileage, kinda similar to what happens when you under inflate your bikes tires.

Rust eating up the chain thus reducing overall life

More chances of chain breaking up while you’re riding your bike, due to tight spots.

I guess that would be it.
Old 25th September 2008, 11:12   #21
BHPian

I got this Mak Spirol EP 90 gear oil for lubricating the chain.

Is it good enough ?

MAK SPIROL EP
Old 25th September 2008, 11:25   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
I'm trying out Yamaha's silicone spray protector now - it supposedly cleans, lubricates and protects. For the money they charge, it had better do all that and then some...

OT, but can anyone confirm whether one of our leather-makers back home brings out biking jackets? I saw one at hi-design, but it was brown and heavy. good design, good wind protection and features some padding at elbow, but it ws too heavy.

The ones out here are outrageously expensive....for the price of a regular nylon/lycra jacket with padding I could buy 3 hi-design leathers.
Try cramster.in they have riding stuff.. even better, they may ship to DXB and save you the duty in India.
Old 25th September 2008, 11:37   #23
Senior - BHPian

How many kms are your chain sprocket sets lasting?

Mine lasted only 20K kms....damn bajaj for making a open chain!
Old 25th September 2008, 11:47   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuav View Post
Try cramster.in they have riding stuff.. even better, they may ship to DXB and save you the duty in India.
Very old post, prabhu. Got my jackets long back, please check out the riding gear thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...thread-12.html
Old 25th September 2008, 12:49   #25
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Most modern bike chains have tiny rubber o-rings that make it ride smoother and silent. If you clean with solvents other than kerosene you risk damaging these rings. Also the lubricant used must be compatible to o-rings.
Old 25th September 2008, 13:32   #26
BHPian

I have a Yamaha RX135, as advised by the members in this thread, I plan to use diesel to clean the chain first and then apply the gear oil.
Old 25th September 2008, 16:23   #27
Senior - BHPian

WD-40 is a very good cleaning & lubricating agent and safe for use with most O-ring and X-ring and other-ring type chains.

After cleaning the chain in diesel (recommended over kerosene) spray a bit of WD40 (it's main constituent is something like Diesel) on normal chains. In case of ring type chains spray something like the silicone spray or chain spray or something like it. It will keep those rubber rings supple and prevents from drying up.

For regular cleaning without taking the chain off the bike use WD40 spray.
Old 25th September 2008, 16:44   #28
Senior - BHPian

Use of WD40 on bike chains is controversial as its effect on "O" rings is not documented. It is possible that it may not have an adverse effect on the rubber of the rings, and furthermore, if it does get past the ring seals, to the packed grease inside, it will drastically shorten the chain life.

Also, WD40 is a poor lubricant.
Old 25th September 2008, 16:57   #29
BHPian

Without sounding repetitive, how much does a can of WD40 cost ?

Is it available at hardware stores or car spare parts shop, is it called WD40 or is there any "local" term for that ?
Old 25th September 2008, 17:00   #30
Senior - BHPian

Around 220 rupees for a big can.

We get Motul chain lube here in yamaha showrooms. brought in specially for R15, costs 460 roundabout per can.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks