Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2020, 08:47   #76
BHPian

Re: Cleaning and lubricating motorcycle chain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar View Post

But wouldn't applying or re-applying any lube without cleaning the chain not remove fine dust and sand particles, and they can in turn act as an abrasive?

If you use oil to lube the chain, the oil and any dirt mixed with it will move to the outer side of the chain and will be flung off because of centrifugal force every time the chain goes around the 2 sprockets.

If you use spray chain lubes that are usually quite thick and sticky, the centrifugal cleaning effect will not be enough to move the lube and dirt because of the stickiness and dirt remains on the chain. So cleaning the chain becomes mandatory.

I use 90 grade gear oil to lube my bike chain. It's cheap and effective. Applying it takes about 5 minutes when done regularly. I use an oil can to dispense it and toothbrush to apply it.

Last edited by Motard_Blr : 3rd June 2020 at 08:48.
Motard_Blr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 18:30   #77
BHPian

Read a news that BMW is launching maintenance-free chain. I hope this trend catches up with other manufacturers too.

Quote:
BMW Motorrad introduces maintenance free chain
- New maintenance free chain introduced
- Doesn’t need lubrication
- Available for S1000RR, S1000XR

BMW Motorrad has just introduced a new maintenance free chain. The company claims that this M Endurance chain doesn’t need any kind of lubrication.

The German brand says that this chain has permanent lubricant filling between the rollers and pins enclosed by X-rings. So there’s no need of regular chain lubrication. In fact, there’s no need of re-tensioning required due to normal usage wear.
Ref:
Old 9th January 2023, 15:18   #78
BHPian

I recently switched over to a Versys 650, and chain maintenance suddenly became a challenge. I previously had an interceptor, which was easy thanks to the center stand.

So for the Versys I ordered the BlueBurns Motojack smart: https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I confirmed with them over Instagram chat that the motojack smart can indeed support 250+ kg weight. (Versys 650 is 216 kerb).

First, you secure the front brake with a velcro strap provided in the box:
Cleaning and lubricating motorcycle chain-img_7399.jpg

Then you mount the rear swingarm on the jack, and push on it to get the rear wheel off the ground.
Cleaning and lubricating motorcycle chain-img_7398.jpg

Looks a bit challenging at first, but it was very easy in reality. I could comfortably clean the chain, scrub it, lube it while it was on the jack.

Bulu Patnaik has also done a pretty comprehensive video on it:

All in all, quite the handy tool for chain maintenance.
ashishk29 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks