Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2006, 01:00   #1
BHPian

Cleaning and lubricating motorcycle chain

Chain is an essential part of a motorcycle and keeping it clean and lubricated ensures that you have a trouble free smooth ride, at the same time it helps increase the life of the chain as well.

Cleaning the Chain

While there are various ways of cleaning your motorcycles chain as well lubricating it, I prefer to use the good old kerosene (if not available then petrol) to clean the chain. A small brush dipped in kerosene cleans out most of the sludge. Although it is a bit time consuming, but it usually does the trick and leaves a thoroughly cleaned chain.

However if you wish to clean the chain even more thoroughly then the best option is to remove the chain, dip it in a pot filled with kerosene and then clean it with the help of a brush. After the chain is cleaned, wipe it with a clean lint free cloth and let it hang for half an hour to dry up properly.

Lubricating the Chain

For lubricating the chain I prefer to use 90w gear oil, it is thick enough to stick to the chain properly and usually is good enough to keep the chain lubricated for roughly 1500-2000kms if the chain cover is on.

Once again the best way to lubricate the chain is to remove the chain and dip it in a pot filled with 90w oil, this way the oil penetrates all the parts of the chain. Let the chain remain inside the oil filled pot for 10minutes and then hang it for half an hour to ensure excess oil drips out (put a pot under it else the you will be left with a lubricated floor). After the excess oil has dripped out, put the chain back on and ensure you put chain lock back on properly.

If you do not wish to go in to the trouble of lubricating the chain in the above mentioned manner, then you can simply apply the oil to the chain with the help of a brush. While applying oil ensure you put a coat of oil on each side of the chain to lubricate the chain thoroughly and ensure rusting doesn’t take place.

2 stroke oil: You can also use 2t oil to lubricate the chain in the event you are unable to find 90w gear oil. However the 2t oil is only good enough for 400-500kms if the chain cover is on.

WD 40: WD 40 can also be used to clean as well as lubricate the chain; it is usually easier then above mentioned option. However it is an expensive affair and requires quite a lot of WD 40 spray to clean and lubricate the entire chain.

Chain lubes: There are chain cleaner cum chain lube spray available in the market from Motul and cleans and lubricates the chain at the same time, also it is quite easy to apply since it is only a spray. However it is quite expensive to use it on a regular basis.

Chain Cover: Removing chain cover reduces the life of the chain drastically especially in monsoon months. If you have removed the chain cover then inspect the chain on regular intervals for signs of dirt and also keep on the look out for the chain noise as a hint that chain needs to be adjusted and/or cleaned.
yogesh sarkar is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th November 2006, 12:45   #2
BHPian

nice writeup yogesh. thanx for the tips. reminds me, i gotta wash my bike this week, been thinking so for a couple of weeks now
Old 10th December 2006, 22:58   #3
BHPian

help

thank you for your advice but can u tell me how to maintain if we are not using covers ???
Old 11th December 2006, 00:52   #4
BHPian

Samybravo maintenance is the same, if you are not using a chain cover then the frequency of maintenance changes. You would have to keep a watch on your chain, especially after you do offroad riding or there is rain. However, since there is no chain guard you should be able to see if the chain is dirty or looks dry, if that’s the case then simply clean and lubricate the chain as stated above.

Thanks Naveen
Old 11th December 2006, 11:27   #5
Senior - BHPian

i prefer cleaning with diesel rather than kero. removes sludge easier than kero
Old 12th December 2006, 03:00   #6
BHPian

@ yogesh :- cleaning the chain with kerosene oil ......will always agree
and yes Lubricating the Chain does results in a smoother drive.

one thing isnt it better to apply grease on the chain so that it sits properly on the sprocket?
Old 12th December 2006, 04:13   #7
BHPian

Nosfreak Bajaj recommends 90w gear oil for lubricating chain rather than grease, also grease attracts dust and that can cause greater wear and tear.

Sunnyboi diesel is also good for cleaning, however some how i find kerosene a bit better. you can even clean the chain with petrol if you dont mind extra money you have to shell out and the fact that cheaper alternatives like kerosene and diesel do a better job.
Old 12th December 2006, 19:55   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogesh sarkar View Post
Nosfreak Bajaj recommends 90w gear oil for lubricating chain rather than grease, also grease attracts dust and that can cause greater wear and tear.
i mean if the chain is comepletely covered. Generally i lucbricate my chain once in 3 to 4 months and then put on grease. cuase i feel that grease can make the chain sit properly on the sprocket.
Old 12th December 2006, 21:21   #9
BHPian

Nosfreak even if the chain guard is there, some dirt will enter. Haven’t yet used grease yet, spoke to Bajaj service mechanic and he told me to stick to 90w oil. Normally I lubricate my bikes chain before a ride or every ~1000kms.
Old 12th December 2006, 22:18   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Nosfreak even if the chain guard is there, some dirt will enter. Haven’t yet used grease yet, spoke to Bajaj service mechanic and he told me to stick to 90w oil. Normally I lubricate my bikes chain before a ride or every ~1000kms.
One thing... as long the chain is not get rusted its safe and in regards to the dirt generally i give my bike for service every 2 - 3 months and i do not think there should be much dirt into it. Even though how many kms have you clocked?
Old 13th December 2006, 08:16   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hey...i heard that bajaj ppl use teflon sprays for chain? is that true??
Old 13th December 2006, 12:26   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
i prefer cleaning with diesel rather than kero. removes sludge easier than kero
Agreed - and my mech says its better to clean with diesel as diesel also leaves a thin film of residual oily matter on the chain while kerosene leaves the chain DRY. Allegedly a chain cleaned with Kerosene also tends to lose some of the lubrication applied thereafter because of the drier cleaning.

I dont know how far all this is true, but I clean my chain with diesel.
Old 13th December 2006, 16:25   #13
BHPian

buy a can of OKS chain spray, the best in the market lasts 40 sprays(extensive use),that is 1 spray every 2000kms, lasts 80000 kms, it costs Rs 200
Old 13th December 2006, 16:34   #14
BHPian

what abt the castrol chain wax?
Old 18th December 2006, 01:46   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
hey...i heard that bajaj ppl use teflon sprays for chain? is that true??
nope, they use 90w gear oil as this is recommended by Bajaj Auto and is cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Agreed - and my mech says its better to clean with diesel as diesel also leaves a thin film of residual oily matter on the chain while kerosene leaves the chain DRY. Allegedly a chain cleaned with Kerosene also tends to lose some of the lubrication applied thereafter because of the drier cleaning.

I dont know how far all this is true, but I clean my chain with diesel.
Will try it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.prashanth View Post
buy a can of OKS chain spray, the best in the market lasts 40 sprays(extensive use),that is 1 spray every 2000kms, lasts 80000 kms, it costs Rs 200
I guess that is only good for people who ride in cities, for tourers it makes more sense to clean the chain before and after every major ride.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks