Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2019, 23:29   #46
BHPian

Re: Cleaning and lubricating motorcycle chain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishan12 View Post
Hello Experts,

I had been cleaning my motorcycle chain with Kerosine in the past. This time I couldn't find Kerosine in any of the shops, was thinking of using diesel this time.
Can diesel be used? Or are there any other alternatives.

Hi.
you really made this thread alive! :-)

Yes, diesel or kerosene are both fine for chain cleaning. Don't use petrol, acetone, naphtha or such solvents - they would damage the rubber seals in the chain links - the O or X rings. Diesel would be available almost anywhere even if you are on long trip!

Using WD40 for chain cleaning has been a controversial topic worldwide, however to me personally its fine too. And then there are specialty cleaners available (eg, Motul, 3M etc). These cleaners do the job, but would be expensive in long run. They do provide some convenience of quick spray, especially when we have less time.

Just ensure that after doing the cleaning phase with any of above cleaing liquid, properly remove the cleaner stuff from chain. Use a rag to wipe-off. If possible go for a very small ride - this will remove those cleaners, and even warm the chain. Now you can apply your favorite chain lubricant and let it sit for few hours. If you don't mind, some extra info: Gear Oil EP90 or EP140 can also be used to lube the chain, and such thick oil can be available even in remote places fuel bunk!
So just enjoy the trips.

Caution Note: never put the bike in gear for such chain maintenance tasks, and always use your fingers carefully. Ideally, put the bike on center-stand / paddock / moto-jack, and spin the wheel gently - while using the fingers on chain against the direction of sprockets - less chance of accidentally crushing the fingers!!

regards,
Pranav
pcpranav is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2019, 23:56   #47
Senior - BHPian

Yup, you can use diesel to clean your chain without any issue. Clean the chain with a pressure water wash and use a diesel soaked cloth by rubbing it on the chain. You know the drill.Follow it up with a Motul chain lube or SAR90 gear oil.

There is also WD 40 that is widely used for cleaning and lubricating, but it can harden the rubber rings in the O ring spec chains.
bigron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2019, 09:28   #48
BHPian

I have been using WD40 as chain cleaner for years. Its cost-effective and works quiet well. There are other more expensive cleaners available which I suppose are better on your chain. But the cost can quickly add up.

Usually I start the cleaning process in evening/night after a ride when I know I am not going to use the bike any more. The recommendation is to clean the chain when it is warm/hot. I use WD40, then let it stand for 15 mins. Next I clean it with a rag and water. Then I put bike in gear on stand so that most water is thrown off. Now let the bike stand overnight to dry out the water.

Next morning, just before the ride, lube the chain. (I have found Tribocor quiet good).
timuseravan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2019, 11:01   #49
BHPian

Thanks for all the responses.
I used Kerosine in the past, as it is cheap I can do my chain cleaning frequently. Specially in monsoon due to all the mud that gets stuck on the chain, I clean it during every bike wash which is almost twice a month. I can use Kerosine generously without having to worry about exhausting an expensive can of chain cleaner.
This time I couldn't find Kerosine at the nearby kirana shop that sells it. (I guess it is not legal too). So thought of Diesel as an alternative.
Old 1st September 2019, 11:51   #50
BHPian

Here is a very good video test of various chain cleaners with surprising results:

Another video test of various chain lubes, again with surprising results:

Both tests seem to be quite thorough and well explained. I highly recommend watching them both.
Motard_Blr is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 1st September 2019, 23:22   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
Next morning, just before the ride, lube the chain. (I have found Tribocor quiet good).
Ideally, let the lubricant sit on the chain for few hours. If you apply and immediately start for ride, then most of the lube may get fling-off.

I have used so many brands of chain lube! Try Rolon White Chain Lube, its quite good. Tribocor has been used by few in our Versys group. I have also used gear oil too (including EP90+EP140 combo!), its pretty good in general. But it tends to lose quickly, especially in rains.

Yes, I had earlier watched both these FortNine videos, quite nice.

WD40 seems to be fine with chain cleaning, and many even use as chain lubricant!

One of my own previous video about chain cleaning:

regards,
Pranav
pcpranav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2019, 23:33   #52
BANNED

Adding my data point as far as cleaning goes.

I got my first motorcycle in 2011 and that was incidentally the last year I 'cleaned' my chain as I moved on to Gear Oil.

From experience the chain cleans itself if you use gear oil, the heavier particles get flung off and the lighter particles help to pack the lube.

And incidentally I've been getting better chain life than my friends and fellow enthusiasts who use the same motorcycle but resort to chain sprays.

My friend changes his chain every 10k km's and a fellow enthusiast changes his at 15k intervals, the chain on my P220 is currently 25k km's old and has about 75~80% life left as it has only been adjusted once after installation, we three ride the same make and model of motorcycles.

Regards,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st September 2019, 23:52   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post

I got my first motorcycle in 2011 and that was incidentally the last year I 'cleaned' my chain as I moved on to Gear Oil.

I do find gear oil quite good - purposeful, VFM, easily available.
However in my case, I have open parking and exposed chain metal catches rust within 2-3 days. When I applied gear oil, the coating on chain didn't properly cover the whole area. Hence to avoid rusting in this season, I use the Rolon White which forms a nice white coating on the outer links. Surprisingly, it doesn't stick on the central rollers, and hence I again put a small spray of other regular lube - whichever brand available handy with me. I dont use the bike everyday, but ensure that chain is lubed well - ready for next ride or protect from elements!

Few of our colleagues have installed that AliExpress chain lubricator (ref link) and filled with gear oil. Its quite interesting device. More-so, one such colleague has been going long trips, and never does a chain clean, just let the gear oil do the whole cleaning & lubricating. He also claimed that chain doesn't catch rust even in open parking! Maybe in future I would also put such lubricator.
Btw, if you see my YT channel, I did try to make 2 prototypes of lubricators, but then not getting time (lazy!) to optimize the design :-)

regards,
Old 2nd September 2019, 00:06   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
Caution Note: never put the bike in gear for such chain maintenance tasks, and always use your fingers carefully. Ideally, put the bike on center-stand / paddock / moto-jack, and spin the wheel gently - while using the fingers on chain against the direction of sprockets - less chance of accidentally crushing the fingers!!
This is from the safety aspect right? Cause, I have always seen service center folks put the bike in first gear while in center stand and jsut spray the lube.

Quote:

Coming to think of it, I too never cleaned or lubed the chain of my old HH Passion and never faced any chain related issue during the 35K Kms of use. Probably the HH service guys did it as part of regular service, but I don't rember paying extra for chain-lube during service. I know RE charges these days, not sure about others. But, my usage was only within the City and the maximum distance I had ever covered on that bike in a day was around 60 Km.
Old 2nd September 2019, 00:10   #55
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
I have open parking and exposed chain metal catches rust within 2-3 days.
Same here, and since I have two motorcycles one remains unused for weeks or even a month at a time and I'm yet to face rusting, as I said the lighter dust couples with the gear oil and forms an anti-rust coating.

My motorcycles are parked for extended periods at Kollam, which is a coastal city.

Quote:
Its quite interesting device.
Overkill IMHO, gear oil latches on pretty good for around 1.5k km's after lubing, I say this as I've gone on several interstate runs after lubing with gear oil and have noticed the lube to hold on pretty well as even after returning it takes some more riding for the rollers to start shining.

Plus I'm not comfortable with un-certified parts hanging close to my drive chain, especially when riding at inter-state speeds. You never know.

Experience have taught me over and over again both with good and bad examples that when it comes to motorcycles its always best to keep things simple.

Regards,
A.P.
Old 2nd September 2019, 09:18   #56
BHPian

Quote:

From experience the chain cleans itself if you use gear oil, the heavier particles get flung off and the lighter particles help to pack the lube.

Regards,
A.P.
That is some good advise based on experience. Now a days people and ASCs are running after canned cleaners and lubricants

As you said the good old gear oil is excellent in cleaning and lubricating properties, but with the side effect of a dirty motorcycle

I have used just gear oil (Gear HP-90 and Gear HP-120) and occasional kerosene cleaning and has managed to run my chain for 40K Kilometers with one master link change. With the front sprocket starting to hook, I replaced the chain and sprocket. The old rear sprocket and chain has been cleaned greased and put in an air tight cover as reserve components.

Last edited by adrian : 2nd September 2019 at 09:23. Reason: typo
adrian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2019, 11:17   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

If the chain manufacturer like DID of japan states on their product packaging that 75w90 gear oil is best suited to maintain their chain (o ring, x ring etc), i wonder why people go use other things.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2019, 14:41   #58
BHPian

Bajaj service manuals instruct washing the chain with a 50:50 mix of diesel and 90W gear oil. This works well and it's cheap.
Motard_Blr is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2019, 16:18   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
This is from the safety aspect right? Cause, I have always seen service center folks put the bike in first gear while in center stand and jsut spray the lube.

Yes its from safety aspect, one miss and the finger is gone. Found a thread on our own Team-BHP forum :

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ain-stand.html

regards,
Pranav
Old 4th December 2019, 17:13   #60
BHPian

Hi folks, I am new here.

I'd prefer cleaning a drive chain with a mixture of lube and petrol, why?

Cleaning with petrol, kerosene, diesel etc will remove the oil thoroughly and initially it may look great but, it will take away all the oil inside the links.

It will make the chain too dry, even after oiling it externally as the oil doesn't reach the critical places because of the thickness. You will end up heating up the chain and consequently the sprocket gears.

Also when the chain moves, it throws away all the externally sitting oil.

Better, mix equal amounts of petrol and lube and use a cotton cloth to clean the chain.

The mixture will allow the lube to enter the unreachable places and when the petrol dries up, the lube will hold the places.

Next use a high grade gear oil to lube it, a 90 grade one.

You can also use grease with the help of a 20ml sirinj, not the best way though. But the sound would be great.

Clean it monthly once or as per usage, but lube it weekly, especially for open types.

Lovely Learning

MechPrasad

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks