Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2018, 00:26   #46
BHPian

Re: My Bajaj Dominar 400 ABS : Rust, Reliability & Regret

It seems like the discussion in this thread has come to a point where we can simply ignore the fact that the bike ran only 600 kms in almost 2 years, and bash Bajaj as much as possible so that some media finally covers it on their websites and channels and Bajaj is forced to deliver the parts for free.
Rshrey22 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th October 2018, 00:29   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I have never used that many smileys ever in my replies ever, wonder what should I laugh or

What standard? Is this some kind of ISO or JIS? I am not bothered about what RE or others publish, suggestions to do this and that to an imaginary equipment on the bike or otherwise if the same is not used beyond 15 days, tell me if you or anyone in your circle has followed this when you are away beyond 15 days. OP has admitted of not looking after his bike for 2 months of a 21-month-old bike and we are cursing him on why did he buy the bike and what not.
By all means, you are free to use how many ever smileys T-BHP rules allow you to, if it satisfies you.

For the second part, I'm not even going to argue on that logic (if there is any). I concede defeat.

Like you said, hope OP gets his issues addressed appropriately.

Last edited by nikhn : 13th October 2018 at 00:34. Reason: Added info
nikhn is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th October 2018, 00:35   #48
TRR
BHPian

Quote:
I have never cared to change Petrol of a parked bike or check how much petrol is left in the tank or emptied but if my Harley can withstand such limited usage for 7-8 Years, I am with OP on the poor quality of components in the Bajaj. 2 Years is too little for Fuel Pump to fail irrespective of usage. Ideally, they should cover this under warranty as they can always get the claim from their vendor and maybe also send such cases to their design to improve and make changes if required.

Non-Use Maintenance- more than 15 Days - Seriously? Maybe RE should just publish this page in their Advertisements
I knew I was right in asking my Maruti service manager as to why the quality of my SX4 was not as good as my neighbour's Mercedes E-Class

Jokes apart, I find it extremely comical that you are choosing to compare a sub-2 lakh rupee motorcycle to one that's priced upwards of 10 lakhs. I am not the best judge when it comes to these matters, but I know for certain that this is not at all a close comparison, much less an appropriate one.

By this logic, why stop at Harley? Let's all expect Ducati-levels of fit and finish from the Bajaj Platina as well! After all, a customer is a customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhn View Post
BTW, if you read the page once again carefully, there are 2 stars after the 15 days which points to the battery maintenance a few paragraphs ahead. It's not for the entire process.
Quote:
I have never used that many smileys ever in my replies ever wonder what should I laugh or

What standard? Is this some kind of ISO or JIS? I am not bothered about what RE or others publish, suggestions to do this and that to an imaginary equipment on the bike or otherwise if the same is not used beyond 15 days, tell me if you or anyone in your circle has followed this when you are away beyond 15 days. OP has admitted of not looking after his bike for 2 months of a 21-month-old bike and we are cursing him on why did he buy the bike and what not.
As mentioned by nikhn, the 15 days thing is for the battery only. Please read the same carefully. When he said standard, he clearly meant "standard wordings and procedures". I am not sure how you pulled up a reference to BIS requirements.

Nonetheless, these are preventative maintenance procedures suggested by the manufacturer in order to keep the bike running optimally. You will find such measures in every owner's manual, including of high end brands like Audi. In fact, the Audi A4 manual also requires you to undertake certain measures if you intend to leave the car unused for a long duration (which I think, is clearly satisfied by a 2 month stint). But then again, if one decides to throw the manufacturer's advice out of the window the day you buy the machine, your expectations will obviously shoot past the moon.

Also, I fail to see why Bajaj should honor of any demand for a FOC replacement of parts. He has clearly and by his own admission, not followed the owner's manual instructions, not kept up with the service schedule, nor followed any basic measures to keep the bike in good health. Not even a BMW, Harley, Triumph would survive this level of neglect and abandon.
TRR is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 13th October 2018, 08:36   #49
GTO
Team-BHP Support

100BHP: You have already been infracted twice on this thread. Please READ OUR FORUM RULES.

Also, do NOT personally attack others or post in a rude manner. Keep it civil & polite on Team-BHP, even when in disagreement.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th October 2018, 09:33   #50
BHPian

Again I would like to state something :

1. I am not claiming warranty or any cost reduction or FOC replacement from Bajaj - so please avoid understanding my intent in wrong way.
2. I am stating this from start - so please don't make personal attacks on me as being done here in many posts above like I am trying to force Bajaj thru media etc . -
3. When we do use basic Q tools like DFMEA (Design Failure mode effect analysis) - we always puts highest severity failure of level 9 or 10 on Safety & Performance . With level 9 & 10, automobile engineer assure that Occurrence part should be zero, so that RPN becomes zero or small (RPN : risk priority number = severity X occurrence X detection)
4. Since Severity effect is constant - only thing engineers can do is to make better designs and make occurrence zero or less
5. Better designs mean - better metallurgy, using best suppliers, better DFM (Design for manufacturing) & Six sigma level or similar Quality systems of controls in whole production chain.
6. I am sure while designing Dominar - engineers would have done the same and hence had put best parts in brakes, tyres, engines, fuel system, swing arm & suspensions etc - after all they constitute safety & performance.
7. WE will not expect any brake failure, tyre malfunction, crack in swing arm etc ! Why fuel system should not be failure proof as being in cars .
8. We have thousands of vehicles here in team bhp which have run six figures & have never faced any issues with fuel system
Old 13th October 2018, 09:40   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRR View Post
I find it extremely comical that you are choosing to compare a sub-2 lakh rupee motorcycle to one that's priced upwards of 10 lakhs.
Harley and Triumphs are not epitomes of reliability. The only reason for sharing my experiences was that if more complicated bikes from Harley/ Triumph can survive multiple years with neglected usage, Bajaj with simple setup and limited electronics should have performed better.

Now, if you all wise guys think that it’s entirely OP’s fault of driving so little and the fuel pump failure is due to the bike sitting for over 2 months and missing 2 services, I rest my arguments.

Quote:
Not even a BMW, Harley, Triumph would survive this level of neglect and abandon.
Looks, you have missed my experiences from the earlier posts and even your comments on comparing the different brands

I can safely say both of my bikes, Harley & Triumph have suffered far more neglect and except for one incident on the Harley in 8th Year, nothing else had any issues due to non-usage.

Last edited by Turbanator : 13th October 2018 at 09:55.
Turbanator is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th October 2018, 10:12   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100BHP View Post
7. WE will not expect any brake failure, tyre malfunction, crack in swing arm etc ! Why fuel system should not be failure proof as being in cars .
Fuel systems are subjected to external elements like fuel quality and exposure to atmosphere. Even a 1 crore BMW's fuel system will fail if the fuel quality is not adequate.

Apart from the ongoing explanations back and forth, are there any updated from the SVC? are they sure it is indeed the fuel pump? And it still beats me how in today's days of logistics its taking such a long time for the parts availability! There was a Dominar Polar odyssey video where in they flew the complete front assembly all the way to Canada! So NCR should not be tough.

My suggestion, You being from the auto industry be personally involved at the SVC, speak to the head, try to escalate within, just be present around the bike and see what really is happening.
Maverick5490 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th October 2018, 10:56   #53
TRR
BHPian

Quote:
Now, if you all wise guys think that it’s entirely OP’s fault of driving so little and the fuel pump failure is due to the bike sitting for over 2 months and missing 2 services, I rest my arguments.
Consider these two facts. One, there is no other reported (online at least) issue of the Dominar's fuel tank rusting and the fuel pump failing. Two, the OP has driven only 650 kms in 2 years, has missed scheduled services, has not followed owner's manual instructions when not using the bike for extended periods nor performed any preventive maintenance apart from covering his bike. Also, consider that this is the only (reported) bike having gone through this usage pattern. Based on the facts available on the table, the correlation between the usage pattern and the issues faced are there for all to see.

Without physically seeing the bike and the affected parts, I wouldn't go ahead and draw a conclusion that the quality is terrible, nor am I in the complete right to put the onus on the OP. But based on what he has shared and the circumstances, this is a preliminary conclusion that simple logic would lead to.

Quote:
Harley and Triumphs are not epitomes of reliability. The only reason for sharing my experiences was that if more complicated bikes from Harley/ Triumph can survive multiple years with neglected usage, Bajaj with simple setup and limited electronics should have performed better.

Looks, you have missed my experiences from the earlier posts and even your comments on comparing the different brands

I can safely say both of my bikes, Harley & Triumph have suffered far more neglect and except for one incident on the Harley in 8th Year, nothing else had any issues due to non-usage.
And you seem to have missed the point of my comparison. Just because the Bajaj is less complex than a Triumph or Harley does not automatically imply better, or even equivalent, quality/reliability. My whole point was that the entire comparison is absurd, notwithstanding what your Triumph/Harley have gone through or how complex their mechanics are. You simply cannot compare a 10 Lakh+ motorcycle with one of the Dominar's category. It does not matter what the Harley went through, the comparison is not an appropriate one in any circumstance. If you said that you put a Duke/Apache RR310, or even a Ninja 300 (still not completely appropriate IMO) through the same conditions and they came out shining, I would agree with you that Bajaj needs to up their game, but since there is no example of a similar kind, I would not blindly blame Bajaj.

Quote:
Again I would like to state something :
6. I am sure while designing Dominar - engineers would have done the same and hence had put best parts in brakes, tyres, engines, fuel system, swing arm & suspensions etc - after all they constitute safety & performance.
8. We have thousands of vehicles here in team bhp which have run six figures & have never faced any issues with fuel system
I agree that these issues are not expected, but they are not expected when the bike is used properly and owner's manual instructions are followed. You cannot do as you please with the bike and expect it to function perfectly. Those thousands of vehicles that you point out, by your own admission have run six figures and not 3 figures. That could possibly be one of the reasons for them facing no issues. The same cannot be said for your bike.

Nonetheless, I hope the Bajaj SVC sorts out your issues to your satisfaction ASAP. Please do let us know if and when the issue gets resolved and the resolution that fixed the issue
TRR is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 13th October 2018, 11:17   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
Fuel systems are subjected to external elements like fuel quality and exposure to atmosphere. Even a 1 crore BMW's fuel system will fail if the fuel quality is not adequate.

Apart from the ongoing explanations back and forth, are there any updated from the SVC? are they sure it is indeed the fuel pump? And it still beats me how in today's days of logistics its taking such a long time for the parts availability! There was a Dominar Polar odyssey video where in they flew the complete front assembly all the way to Canada! So NCR should not be tough.

My suggestion, You being from the auto industry be personally involved at the SVC, speak to the head, try to escalate within, just be present around the bike and see what really is happening.
All elements which I have stated above are subjected to much more harsher environment than fuel system.

Service : Parts are still awaited.
Old 13th October 2018, 15:53   #55
BHPian

I had a similar problem on my 10 year old BMW R1200GS 2 months back and agree with some of the points put forward here by some members.

I stay out of India and visit India once in 2 months. So use my bike every time I come. The only preventive work I do is keep the battery on a trickle charger and drain out the old petrol every time I return to India and put fresh petrol. However, over my last 2-3 visits, I was not able to ride the bike due to other commitments and the bike sat idle for about 5-6 months. This time the bike didnt start. I thought it was my 4 year old battery packing up and replaced it but it wouldnt start. Actually the dashboard will come on but as soon as I thumb the starter, everything stuts down. So I suspected its the complicated BMW Canbus system shutting down the whole bike (there are no fuses in BMW bikes). So I had it towed to my mechanic (who is an old hand on all kinds of classic to modern and race bikes) and he found out it was stale petrol that had blocked off the fuel pump and also messed up some of the rubber fuel hoses. So he just cleaned up the the fuel pump, changed those hoses with some locally available hoses and bike was back in action (post that I did a 1500km ride and the bike performed beautifully). So total damage of Rs 1300 for towing and another Rs 2000 for the repair/hoses. If I were to take it to BMW Service (they dont believe in repairing some critical parts) and a fuel pump replacement would easily set me back Rs 25-30K for parts and 'premium labor' from BMW.

My point is there may be enough stories of old Jawa, Bullet and other carburetted bikes sitting for a few years and with a small cleaning of the carbs and new fuel they fire up. But with the new fuel injected bikes with many mechanical/electrical/electronic components, things are not as easy and simple as the older bikes, HOWEVER, its very unlikely your fuel pump has packed up. It just needs to be taken apart and cleaned up and also have the supply/return pipes checked and of course the fuse of the fuel pump also. Afterall the Dominars that did the Trans Siberia ride and also the present North to South America ride are easily clocking 500-800kms daily and the pumps seem to be doing fine as I personally know the team and they have not had much down time. (of course I agree Bajaj will make sure things reach them on time if and when....). Infact its my same above mechanic who prepped up those 3 Dominars for their odyssey.

Surely no excuse for the long delivery time of parts from Bajaj (esp for a bike they are trying very hard to do some decent sales figures), but it seems to me they can clean up the pump & solve the problem.

As for long term non usage of bike, I am also looking at Stabil (I am told its available in India) since its widely used in USA/Europe for winter storage of bikes/cars/boats etc.

Good luck with your bike

Last edited by Haroon : 13th October 2018 at 15:56.
Haroon is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 13th October 2018, 21:11   #56
BHPian

All the reliability issues the op believes Bajaj is responsible for as he may know are addressed for different cases of usage and not for non usage. I don't know any manufacturer indian or otherwise does any reliability testing by keeping their vehicles not adequately used. Being in automotive industry he can please enlighten me if such testing is done. Try keeping a pc off for two weeks in monsoon and try turning it on. Should we blame the reliability of advanced electronics then?
Point is Bajaj reliability should be questioned if the bike had failed while it was doing what it was meant to do. And not sitting somewhere idle as a showpiece.
rascalangel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th October 2018, 15:03   #57
BHPian

Update 15 Oct : Fuel pump is received and existing one has been taken out today .
Petrol tank is found to be extremely rusty on the inside in certain positions. It was red rust and not white rust .
I have been advised to replace the fuel tank also. As per SVC centre, rust can't be eliminated / treated permanently & it will spread with time .
I have ordered the part - it was not available as such.

Can any experts share their views on rust treatment in tank ? Also, any experience wherein someone faced same issue of rust in tank & had taken some alternative method to handle it ?

Thanks
100BHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2018, 16:15   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Also, any experience wherein someone faced same issue of rust in tank & had taken some alternative method to handle it ?

Thanks
My gixxer fuel tank had water in it, about 500 ml or so. Tank was also rusted. FNM cleaned it. After that I filled it full, thrice and he again opened the tank after three months.

He cleaned it again. The second time it was much better.

As per him, it should be okay.

I fill full tank every time and use IFTEX system G. I don't know if its really of any use.

I don't know if the same will work for you.

All the best.
ravradha is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th October 2018, 19:19   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Also, any experience wherein someone faced same issue of rust in tank & had taken some alternative method to handle it ?

Thanks
Even I have faced rusting issues in my R15 Version 1 sometime back in 2011/12. This rusting issue started during monsoons when the water drain hole got clogged and water seeped into the fuel tank. I don’t clearly remember if I replaced or serviced the fuel injector back then.

Unfortunately removing the tank and cleaning the rust was the only option.

I ensured that during monsoons I cover the tank with tarpaulin or a thick plastic cover and check at regular intervals that the drain hole is not clogged. I did not face this problem again till I sold the bike in 2014.
katchkamalesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 09:09   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravradha View Post
My gixxer fuel tank had water in it, about 500 ml or so. Tank was also rusted. FNM cleaned it. After that I filled it full, thrice and he again opened the tank after three months.

He cleaned it again. The second time it was much better.

All the best.
Now how long you have been using this bike ? No tank checking or any other issue like fuel filter clogged , fuel pump issue observed after that ? Thanks for your response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katchkamalesh View Post
Even I have faced rusting issues in my R15 Version 1 sometime back in 2011/12. This rusting issue started during monsoons when the water drain hole got clogged and water seeped into the fuel tank. I don’t clearly remember if I replaced or serviced the fuel injector back then.

Unfortunately removing the tank and cleaning the rust was the only option.
What was the method of rust cleaning ? Physical or chemical treatment ?
In my experience red rust is very dangerous - it means that the corrosion has reached the metal after destroying all protective layers. It also means that it has destroyed the molecular structure of corrosion resistant steel of petrol tank .

Since starting this thread I have seen many petrol tank pics with rust - all of them has undergone rusting phenomenon called micro pitting.

Does anyone has experience on overcoming it ?

Fuel pump rust is phenomenal . I will share detail on it as soon as I can get it pics .
100BHP is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks