Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2018, 10:41   #1
BHPian

Rajiv Bajaj says the Discover 100cc was the biggest mistake of his career

I recently came across this article where Rajiv Bajaj said that launching 100 CC Discover was the biggest mistake of his career. I have no idea why he would consider it to be his worst mistake.

By the way, he also talks about launching electric bikes and 3-wheelers in 2019!
shobhit.shri is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th November 2018, 15:45   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Rajiv Bajaj says the Discover 100cc was the biggest mistake of his career

He explains that the 100cc avatar lost its edge by becoming a 'me too' product. Discover 125 did offer oodles of more fun when compared to the competition without sacrificing mileage.
Sebring is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 04:26   #3
BHPian

Dropping the scooter market was not the best decision to me, Bajaj.
Doge is online now   (17) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 05:36   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
+1 to that. I still remember how confident he was when he was exiting the scooter market, citing low volumes. And then the Activa happened.

IIRC, he also tried to exit the 100cc segment once, and tried to convert all his 100cc customers to 125cc by products like the XCD series, which also went horribly wrong. Worse part was, they kept introducing and discontinuing models, which was never good for consumer's confidence.

Discover which was once seen as the premium commuter, was diluted with 100s of variants and engine options.

He might be one of the best orators in the Indian automotive scene, but to me, he is an idiot.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...c-segment.html (Bajaj Auto announces exit from 100cc segment)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...-ct-100-a.html (Baffling move by Bajaj; relaunches CT 100)

https://www.livemint.com/Companies/B...s-segment.html

https://www.moneylife.in/article/ham...ers/40797.html
Leoshashi is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 06:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

Bajaj Scooters were just not moving, so what do you expect them to do? Bikes were the flavour of the season and nobody wanted a scooter. Honda Activa changed all that with its smooth transmission, niggle free engine and decent mileage figures. But 'vision' is Bajaj's biggest Achilles heel. Even if they had an Activa like product they would have had an Activa 120, Activa 150 and so on, confusing the customer. Discover was 125 CC, period. Pulsar is 150 CC, stop right there. Dominar is 400 CC, don't make variants. I think Bajaj will revisit the scooter market with the next gen Chetak, whether it is going to be electric - needs to be seen. Because Electric will be the new race and everyone is at the starting line.

Quote:
Sebring is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 06:48   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

The other thing he has to regret is about talking too much.

Example:
“We could have made a Tesla on two-wheels or a Tesla on three-wheels and created different news... we will try and do that in 2019 now,” he said.
kiku007 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 08:56   #7
Senior - BHPian

Having owned KB100 RTZ, Discover 125, Pulser 150, Wave from Bajaj and then Honda Activa (present); I always thought that it was the quality that made the difference.

While TVS is in between them in terms of quality, Honda has succeeded with minimal product line mainly because of quality.

Wave 110cc was an exciting design. Instead of discontinuing it, Bajaj should have improved on it’s quality IMO.

Of course, extremely confusing / overlapping product line doesn’t help too.
Chethan B G is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 09:13   #8
Senior - BHPian

I eagerly await the day when Mr. Bajaj regrets:

(1) Exiting the scooter segment (one should always listen to their parents!)
(2) Launching Pulsars below 150cc (and diluting the Pulsar brand)
(3) Launching V125 (and diluting the V15 brand)
(4) Exiting, re-entering and re-exiting 100cc segment (thereby confusing customers)
(5) Launching Duke 125 (and most probably, diluting the Duke brand)
(6) Not showing the patience to let products mature, and just release and discontinue products by looking at quarterly performance.

It is not cutting edge that sells in 100 - 125 cc segments. It is trusted, reliable, proven, fuel efficient and popular (insert suitable 'word-of-mouth / herd mentality' quote here) that sells in the lower displacement segment, especially in semi-urban and rural areas of our country. What sells? Activa and Splendor. Emulate them. Period.

Also, I wish Mr. Bajaj thinks more long-term and develops a vision for his company, which I believe is lacking, despite all the talking.
Viju is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 09:35   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Rajiv Bajaj says the Discover 100cc was the biggest mistake of his career

Quote:
It's one thing to make a mistake, but it's even worse if you stick to that mistake. When the market so obviously loves its scooters, where are the Bajaj scooters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
The other thing he has to regret is about talking too much.
IMHO, he is one of the best orators in the industry - related thread (Rajiv Bajaj - Among the best orators in the Indian automotive industry).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Having owned KB100 RTZ, Discover 125, Pulser 150, Wave from Bajaj and then Honda Activa (present); I always thought that it was the quality that made the difference.
And this has always been a problem? I remember beloved Moderator Rtech telling me about his Pulsar "great bike, well priced, fun, but wears out too soon".
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 09:51   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Bajaj reminds me of Tata motors. Solid brand with access to global tech but unable to win the market due to lack of product vision and quality. I have no idea what models TATA makes anymore. They should stick to few models that define the company and can experiment with few others. Currently nothings evokes Toyota-Corolla equivalent feeling when you think of these two brands.
androdev is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 10:05   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shobhit.shri View Post
I recently came across this article where Rajiv Bajaj said that launching 100 CC Discover was the biggest mistake of his career. I have no idea why he would consider it to be his worst mistake.
Dilution of Discover 125 brand, which was once the 2nd best selling bike behind only Splendour and finally leading to the situation where it is fumbling for volumes now.

Refer to this brilliant post (The Biggest Blunders in the Indian Automotive Scene) by fellow bhpian payeng which explains the numerous variations of the Discover.

Quote:
2. I would rather say that the manner if which the "Discover" brand was (mis)handled is a classic case study of a Fiasco.
Loosing the first mover advantage - Come to think of it the Discover was launched as a 125 cc much before the (now 125 cc leaders) the Honda Shine and the Hero Glamour.
Loosing Focus: Even before it could establish as a 125 cc, Bajaj launched a 112 cc Discover.
More Variants - more - and more - am at loss for words

1. Discover 125
2. Discover 112
3. Discover 135
4. Discover 100
5. Discover 125 (Once Again)
6. Discover 150
7. Discover 125 ST (Mono Shock)
8. Discover 125M
9. Discover 100T
10. Discover 100M
11. Discover 150F
12. Discover 150S

Latest in the Discover Saga
13. Discover 125 (One More Time)
14. Discover 110

PHEW

Come to think of it.. apart from the Pulsar launch, the Discover did have one of the best launches
jpcoolguy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 10:11   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Well, he may have the skills to give a captivating speech to entertain audience but much of what he has to say about the industry isn't gold.

Another example besides the Tesla quote,

Earlier Rajiv Bajaj had expressed its disappointment over lack of legislation for quadricycles by saying, “If your innovation in the country depends on government approval or judicial process, it will not be a case of ‘Made in India’, but ‘Mad in India’. After six years, we are still waiting for permission to sell our four-wheeler in the country.”

Calling the Qute an innovation?

Last edited by kiku007 : 27th November 2018 at 10:15.
kiku007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 10:42   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

And this has always been a problem?
Unfortunately Yes.

Before Honda came in, Hero-Honda and Yamaha were at the top in terms of quality. Followed by TVS and then Bajaj. TVS has been known for low maintenance products. Yamaha RX100 has fetched it’s owners (in the resale market) more then they had initially spent due to quality and price correction / increase in the market during late eighties and early nineties.

After Honda, every other moved a step down to accommodate Honda at the very top.

Honda Unicorn and the Activa changed the scene. Mono suspension and combined braking system was a hit from the day one and made things easier for Honda.

Bajaj Wave was a good product. They should have at least continued with non-gear scooters IMO.

Last edited by Chethan B G : 27th November 2018 at 10:48.
Old 27th November 2018, 10:43   #14
BHPian

Isn't he the same guy who went giving gyan to our Prime Minister? Dude should focus on his job first before free Gyan IMO.

I still remember the interview when he so confidently talked about scooters not having any future.
akshay380 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 11:40   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Given that Bajaj had the foresight and vision to bet big on the affordable performance segment in the early 2000s when nobody else did, it has always puzzled me that they completely misread the scooter segment. Scooter launches from Honda's competitors are getting respectable sales numbers (~ 72K for Hero, 10K for Piaggio, 55K for Suzuki, 144K for TVS only in Oct 2018) whereas Bajaj continues to miss the party! Even if margins are low, Bajaj dealers would have good enough volumes if they come out with a great product in the scooter segment.

The other big mistake that Bajaj made is overdoing their engine cc product launches for the different bikes. On paper it might have made sense to a fresh out of his / her B-School ready to take on the world, MBA hire - segment each of the cubic capacities into different offerings based on brand positioning and price them accordingly. Traditionally, India has been a volume market where increase in cc = increase in price. 100cc was the economy commuter focussed on mileage, 125cc was the executive commuter who wanted mileage and some power, 150cc and above was the upmarket offerings. Bajaj had the Boxer / CT100 / Platina at the 100cc segment, Discover at the 125, Pulsar at 150 and above. They should have stuck to that.

But instead they created mini segments above and below the traditional market offerings which diluted their brands completely and most likely ended up confusing customers. The Discover had 14 variants as per TBhpian payeng's post, which is insane. The workhorse 100cc Boxer got a 150cc offering which it never should have. The Bajaj Pulsar went down to 135cc and got discontinued. The Avenger went down to 150cc and got discontinued. Before the interesting V15 got a foothold in the market, Bajaj launched the V12 which got discontinued. It appears as though Bajaj's strategy is launch it and lets hope it sells!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks