Pros
- Like the upright seating and posture
- Overall styling, being lightweight and comfortable
- Good ride handling
- Decent braking
- Switchable ABS

Cons
- Cost on the higher side
- Reliability concerns (i will detail this a little more below)

Reliability concern (bike and service):

My bike is just over 2 months old and i have done just about 400 km so far as i am not a daily rider. However, i have been riding it at least 20-30 km per week. When i contacted Tuskar BMW service with regard to the first service (usually due in 1000 km or 1 month, whichever is earlier), they advised me to delay the service as the vehicle has not done the expected distance yet.

On December 1st, 2018, while I was on the way for a breakfast ride, the battery sign came on and the vehicle stalled shortly after. I called RSA and the vehicle was towed to Tuskar Service for checks. Tuskar could check my vehicle only on the following Monday and in the evening I was told that the battery had drained completely and the same was fixed by charging the battery. I was also blamed for not doing the First Service on time and told that this could be the root cause of the problem.

Following this, I requested Tuskar Service to do a thorough check of the vehicle and do the service of the vehicle (I had even asked them to make it a paid service, in case there is a need). I wanted them to give a confirmation that there is no problem with the bike. Tuskar service was initially reluctant to do the service as it was not a regular pre-scheduled one. They went on to threaten me that i will be charged Parking Fees if the vehicle is not picked up. Subsequently, they agreed on doing a full check up and service of the vehicle. On Wednesday (5th Dec) evening, I was told that the vehicle is serviced, ready and no other issue was found on inspection.

I took the delivery of the vehicle on Thursday (6th Dec). There was a charge of INR 5510 for the service which i paid and then was on my way. So far so good, one would think! One off case and all good now! One would hope!

On Friday evening (7th Dec), I took the bike out again. After riding it for about 3 kms, ABS light came on. Then, the battery light came on and the vehicle stalled. Like in the first case, the headlight, console, etc. were working, but vehicle would not start. I called RSA again, the vehicle was picked up around 9:30 PM and taken to Tuskar Service. Today (11th Dec), i got confirmation that the alternator of the bike needs to be replaced and that it will be done in 2-3 weeks.

I am appalled that after doing a full fledged service, the issue with the alternator was not identified. This is even when the service was done following a stalling issue. I have seen multiple posts on public forums on alternator failure. I believe mine is the fourth or fifth bike in Bangalore with the same problem.

Finally, each time that RSA took custody of the vehicle, there were no further follow ups. So, i guess we trust greater forces to ensure that the bike has indeed reached the service station, there have been no issues getting it there and it is being taken care of. I received an email confirmation on the 4th day regarding the alternator issue being identified (for my second experience).

When I pay a premium for a brand like BMW, i expect a certain level of quality with regard to the bike as well as the experience around it. Unfortunately the last 2 weeks have not been so pleasant.
RSimonS is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 11th December 2018, 23:41   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Not so pleasant experience with 310GS and BMW Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSimonS View Post
I believe mine is the fourth or fifth bike in Bangalore with the same problem.
As I'm reading this, my car is waiting for a spare alternator to arrive. I could freshly relate to that feeling when everything dies in a few minutes after the battery warning. But then it's a 1.72L km done oldie from a brand known for poor service since decades - and four days is what I've been promised.

Multiple bikes with same issue, and still they need a month to make a brand new bike road worthy?

PS : They don't have space in the service center, so mostly there are high chances your bike will be kept out in the open in the stockyard for these 3 weeks. Better watch out for this.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 11th December 2018 at 23:46.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th December 2018, 00:27   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: BMW G310R & G310GS launched at Rs. 2.99 - 3.49 lakh

sad to hear about your ordeal, hope they fix it soon and get it to you without any issues. Do keep us posted.
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2018, 11:47   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
PS : They don't have space in the service center, so mostly there are high chances your bike will be kept out in the open in the stockyard for these 3 weeks. Better watch out for this.
Yes, surprising that recalls does not happen in India. Customers seems to be left to struggle and find a way out.

Yes, asked them to ship the bike back yesterday itself, would be coordinating for the same today.
Old 12th December 2018, 12:25   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes, surprising that recalls does not happen in India. Customers seems to be left to struggle and find a way out.
Quote:
I believe mine is the fourth or fifth bike in Bangalore with the same problem.
Incase you have the details of the other's (if they are part of a 310 group or something) - there's no better platform that Team Bhp to make them listen.

2 - 3 weeks for attending to a vehicle off the road repair, when the bike is made in a factory just 50kms away? That's just poor response time. Can understand if this was stated for a CBU or CKD!

Also, hope it's getting replaced under warranty coverage (Since they were blaming it on service interval earlier).
Old 12th December 2018, 15:57   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Also, hope it's getting replaced under warranty coverage (Since they were blaming it on service interval earlier).

Tuskar requested for keeping the vehicle till Friday, said they need to check the wiring - I do not have any accessories installed on the bike. It is as is.

BMW RSA would not facilitate towing the vehicle, their responsibility starts and ends with getting vehicle delivered to authorized service center. Another expense for owning a premium brand :-)

Yes, I do believe the part is getting replaced under warranty, no reason believe otherwise.
RSimonS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2018, 16:49   #7
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
2 - 3 weeks for attending to a vehicle off the road repair, when the bike is made in a factory just 50kms away? That's just poor response time. Can understand if this was stated for a CBU or CKD!
The parts go to Mumbai from Hosur where the quality check inspections happen. From Mumbai, it is sent to respective dealers across India. FOr Bangalore, its goes from Hosur to Mumbai to back to Bangalore, does not make sense to me. As of now, seems like their channels are not well set, and also they are not stocking many spares at dealers apart from the consumables and fast moving items like levers etc. Will take a while to stabilize, but they will have to work on it sooner and hard. I had ordered some parts for my mini gs, and it look 5 weeks to arrive. During same time, i had ordered a side stand for my versys and it came from Thailand to Bangalore in 12 days flat. So i guess BMW and dealers have a lot of work to do if they are serious about business here.
nasirkaka is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th December 2018, 20:06   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

BMW RSA would not facilitate towing the vehicle, their responsibility starts and ends with getting vehicle delivered to authorized service center.
Don't understand this, you wrote they have towed to the service station, do you mean that you want to get the bike at home till the time they don't have the parts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
The parts go to Mumbai from Hosur where the quality check inspections happen. From Mumbai, it is sent to respective dealers across India.
That's the standard practice with all manufacturers to have a different warehouse and supply chain for Spare parts. In fact on most products, OEM's give a separate packing for Spares as the one that goes for production is mostly supplied in crates or special reusable containers. Lead time for spares also varies as those are stocked based on some historic consumption or minimum levels and on a new product, if something goes wrong on 20 bikes, they may not have enough spares at distribution centre either.

It's not usual practice to route Production parts to spare business unless there is some exceptional situation.
Turbanator is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2018, 22:01   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Reliability concerns (i will detail this a little more below)
I cannot believe a trained A.S.S personnel missed such a textbook cue.

Understanding & troubleshooting Motorcycle Charging Systems

For something that can be diagnosed by just about anyone with a multi-meter they seem to have simply disregarded the whole diagnosis and simply charged the battery.

Similarly on an acquaintances new Honda Unicorn, he'd called me up stating the cause for concern and it was a textbook case of an air-leak, which the A.S.S for some reason had misdiagnosed several times and sent him on his way after tweaking the AFR, which is as stupid as it gets because rather than diagnosing the issue they simply opted for a band-aid fix which as expected only ensured that the issue reappeared shortly after.

Guess such callousness only flies in India
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2018, 22:16   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Feedback on BMW 310GS

When I pay a premium for a brand like BMW, i expect a certain level of quality with regard to the bike as well as the experience around it. Unfortunately the last 2 weeks have not been so pleasant.

Two more bikes from Bangalore down today with the same problem
Old 16th December 2018, 22:45   #11
Team-BHP Support

Re: BMW G310R & G310GS launched at Rs. 2.99 - 3.49 lakh

Quote:
Two more bikes from Bangalore down today with the same problem
Looks to be a serious problem that needs more visibility. Have requested moderators to take a look at this discussion.

If nothing, BMW Motorrad needs to act fast atleast and get the brand new bikes running back again ASAP. 2-3 weeks turnaround time is just lazy.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2018, 06:47   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: BMW G310: Many bikes suffering reliability issues due to alternator problem

Mod Note: Posts related to the alternator problem have been moved to a new thread. It will also be added to the Team-BHP News Section.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 12:17   #13
BANNED

Sorry to hear that Simon.
I have few observations with current lot of baby GS owners, don't take me wrong, someone asked in the baby GS owners group that "his bike has done 900 kms and he wants to do a trip which is another 300 kms, shall I do", my question is if company is asking certain parameters why people are keen on crossing them? End of the day we are owning a BMW and it's not cheap to own, and trying to save money with these cheap tricks usually ends up with extra cost of maintenance along with offering dealer to come up with excuse that we have not done service on time.
Another point as per my info, the issue is with rectifier not alternator, appeal to all the owners please understand bit of technical stuff and ask for root cause, just blindly don't accept the bike post the issue is resolved.

Last edited by bblost : 30th December 2018 at 16:15. Reason: Changed ratifier to rectifier. Thanks.
Old 18th December 2018, 13:53   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
someone asked in the baby GS owners group that "his bike has done 900 kms and he wants to do a trip which is another 300 kms, shall I do
This could be because of the 1 month or 1000 Kms first service recommendation

Quote:
Another point as per my info, the issue is with ratifier not alternator, appeal to all the owners please understand bit of technical stuff and ask for root cause, just blindly don't accept the bike post the issue is resolved.
Response I received from Service Centre is as below.
Quote:
This is to inform and update you that we are inspecting your motorcycle for concern regarding initial starting trouble and low battery voltage support to initiate crank. As per our observation we would need to change the alternator of your motorcycle to resolve the issue.
Learning the bike mechanics seems to be vital, at least with the G310s.

Another bike was down with clutch issues and was towed on Sunday, details of the problem yet to be clear.
Old 21st December 2018, 13:13   #15
Team-BHP Support

This pic is doing the rounds in biking groups -

BMW G310: Many bikes suffering reliability issues due to alternator problem-img20181221wa0009.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 31st December 2018 at 08:02. Reason: typo

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks