Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2019, 16:10   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Reviving the legend - My Yamaha RX100

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiGOD View Post
A query to 2-stroke Gurus

Tried a RX 135 silencer core (with two inner caps) on my RX 100 yesterday. The exhaust note was not so appealing but I felt like the same was giving better acceleration that too with a sudden surge. The silencer core that I earlier had was RX 100 stock (with no caps inside). Have anyone of you experimented with the same? Ever noticed any variation in pickup?
I have that on my 100, it will definitely change the characteristics of the bike, I will explain it to you in person or on WhatsApp. Discussing this here would be taking this thread off topic

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2019, 19:39   #32
BHPian

A brief log of the silencer core replacement.

RX 100 Silencer Core : Rs.216
RX 135 Silencer Core : Rs.216

Reviving the legend - My Yamaha RX100-135.jpg

The RX 135 core alongside the stock one. Do notice the thicker 'neck' portion of the 135 silencer

Reviving the legend - My Yamaha RX100-100.jpg

The new RX 100 core alongside the old one

Reviving the legend - My Yamaha RX100-100-old.jpg

The 'caps' of the old core completely disintegrated

Reviving the legend - My Yamaha RX100-100-new.jpg

'Caps' of the new core

How it sounds!

Drove around the block once and noticed that the acceleration is smooth and linear. No sudden surge as with the RX 135 core. Will update if I notice anything new during my daily office commutes
RiGOD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2019, 12:37   #33
BHPian

With the arrival of monsoon, I've stopped using the RX for daily office commutes and occassional errand running is the only purpose she serves now. The clutch bell ringing noise has become worse and the odo/speedo has stopped working. To top it off, the LS panel fell off somewhere last week while riding.

Reviving the legend - My Yamaha RX100-img_20190706_201005__01.jpg

A good reason to go ahead and repaint the bike . As for the niggles mentioned earlier, it's high time that I visited the mechanic.
RiGOD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2019, 13:30   #34
Senior - BHPian

Long time no see

Get the side panel and get it painted along with the tank.

Now, the speedo worm has a plastic gear and the chance of failure is high, lets hope your is a cable failure, if not use this opportunity to change the gear to a metal one.

Getting a new clutch bell is still an option, i would suggest to get one till the time you can, things are running out fast.

Pramod

Last edited by pramodkumar : 19th July 2019 at 13:31.
Old 8th October 2019, 16:42   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Long time no see

Get the side panel and get it painted along with the tank.
Apologies for the (very) late reply mate.

Had my plate full with so much other stuff that the RX has been neglected for so long. Bought the side panels (Lumax brand) and the emblems. Planning to give it for painting soon. I've decided to go with the original Peacock Blue Green shade of the Yamaha RX 100, but can't find any reference to the exact shade. Comparing the RAL chart with some restoration photos, I'm guessing that RAL 5015 (Sky Blue) will be a good match. Experts, do refer to the chart below and give suggestions on the right shade to go for.

Reviving the legend - My Yamaha RX100-ral-blue.png
Old 13th October 2019, 09:25   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Apologies for the (very) late reply mate.

Had my plate full with so much other stuff that the RX has been neglected for so long. Bought the side panels (Lumax brand) and the emblems. Planning to give it for painting soon. I've decided to go with the original Peacock Blue Green shade of the Yamaha RX 100, but can't find any reference to the exact shade. Comparing the RAL chart with some restoration photos, I'm guessing that RAL 5015 (Sky Blue) will be a good match. Experts, do refer to the chart below and give suggestions on the right shade to go for.

On my recent visit to lakshadweep islands, I clicked a picture of this beautiful blue Yamaha RX100. It looked like it was still in original paint. It was a very well kept example:
Attached Thumbnails
Reviving the legend - My Yamaha RX100-20191013_092442.jpg  

Sanidhya mukund is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2019, 19:17   #37
BHPian

A small teaser of the makeover under progress

Reviving the legend - My Yamaha RX100-img_20191104_165153_1__01.jpg
RiGOD is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th November 2019, 12:27   #38
BHPian

Quote:
And without further adieu, I named her, BABY BLUE (Three reasons : 1.My Fiesta is named Baby 2. I'm going to paint her blue in future 3. Hardcore Breaking Bad fan).
Quoting myself from the very first post of this thread. Finally, after a lot of sleepless nights worrying about the exact shade of blue to go for, I managed to get her painted exactly the way I wanted it to be. Presenting to you, my beloved BABY BLUE

Reviving the legend - My Yamaha RX100-01.jpg

The paint used was DuPont costing a total of Rs.1400 (for 100ml paint and 200ml clear). The job was done by an expert who does only two wheelers and labour cost was Rs.2000. The tank line sticker was done from a sticker shop for Rs.200. So total damages around Rs.3600, which I would say is very reasonable considering the pristine finish it has. Attaching a couple of images.

Reviving the legend - My Yamaha RX100-02.jpg

Reviving the legend - My Yamaha RX100-03.jpg

As of now, the major gripe I have is the rusting front mudguard, which is a duplicate one I guess. The original ones are not available currently. So have to do something about it soon, as it ruins the overall looks of the bike.

Reviving the legend - My Yamaha RX100-04.jpg

Will keep the thread updated with upcoming improvements
RiGOD is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 00:30   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quoting myself from the very first post of this thread. Finally, after a lot of sleepless nights worrying about the exact shade of blue to go for, I managed to get her painted exactly the way I wanted it to be. Presenting to you, my beloved BABY BLUE
Ping me when free, I have an original mudguard in factory chrome lying around, if you are interested you can have it.

Pramod

Last edited by ampere : 26th July 2020 at 19:23. Reason: removed dead link from quoted post
pramodkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 18:55   #40
BHPian

Quote:
A query to 2-stroke Gurus

Tried a RX 135 silencer core (with two inner caps) on my RX 100 yesterday. The exhaust note was not so appealing but I felt like the same was giving better acceleration that too with a sudden surge. The silencer core that I earlier had was RX 100 stock (with no caps inside). Have anyone of you experimented with the same? Ever noticed any variation in pickup?
It is because the caps act as barriers for the escaping gases, which slightly increases the the pressure on the piston going down. These inserts are good for low end but on my bike, at higer rpms they seemed to 'choke' it.

Try an RD 350 insert which I have to me it is best of both low and high end power delivery.
Manan9876 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 21:16   #41

[quote=RiGOD;4572135]Took the bike to an expert mechanic K.Rejendran a.k.a Yamaha Rajendran (thanks to fellow BHPian @pramodkumar for suggesting him) here at Trivandrum and got some work done on my Baby Blue.

Hi RiGOD, I am a newbie in this forum, found your thread really interesting. Congratulations on your prized possession. I own a Rx100 '86 model for past 27 years which was in running condition till the lockdown but not so at present. I was on the lookout for a trustworthy mechanic for restoration of my bike. Can you please share the contact details of Mr Rajendran whose work appears really impressive, Thanks in advance
Mahesh Babu is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 22:00   #42
BHPian

[quote=Mahesh Babu;4937790]
Quote:
Hi RiGOD, I am a newbie in this forum, found your thread really interesting. Congratulations on your prized possession. I own a Rx100 '86 model for past 27 years which was in running condition till the lockdown but not so at present. I was on the lookout for a trustworthy mechanic for restoration of my bike. Can you please share the contact details of Mr Rajendran whose work appears really impressive, Thanks in advance
Thanks for the kind words Mr.Mahesh. Mr.Rajendran's workshop is near Maruthankuzhi. His contact number is 9847502918/9526432104.
Old 23rd November 2020, 22:58   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Presenting to you, my beloved BABY BLUE
Beautiful bike. Beautiful restoration.

Here's what the factory original blue used to look like ... She's still in her original paint in Delhi currently. Sweet bike.

Reviving the legend - My Yamaha RX100-212.jpg

Reviving the legend - My Yamaha RX100-215.jpg

Reviving the legend - My Yamaha RX100-228.jpg

Reviving the legend - My Yamaha RX100-187.jpg

Reviving the legend - My Yamaha RX100-186.jpg

Reviving the legend - My Yamaha RX100-226.jpg

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by Sheel : 24th November 2020 at 16:59. Reason: As requested.
ebonho is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 8th June 2021, 19:29   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A small teaser of the makeover under progress
Can you help me with the color code? I'm restoring my bike and looking for a similar shade. TIA
Old 9th June 2021, 11:11   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Can you help me with the color code?
For sure. I got it mixed from a DuPont dealer at Trivandrum. So, if you have a similar dealer at your location, I can collect the mixing ratios from here and let you know so that you can get it done there.

Another (easier) way is the ask your paint dealer if he has the colour chart for Hero Honda Karizma. If yes, the Turquoise Blue shade of Karizma (with it's gold shade brought down to 1/4 th of the actual value) is the shade you're looking for.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks