Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2019, 10:34   #16
BHPian

Re: Updated Royal Enfield Classic & Thunderbird spied

Either the test bike is fitted with the adjustable brake lever directly lifted off the new Duke 390 or Royal Enfield is going to provide it in the new variant. This is interesting since the clutch lever still seems to be the non adjustable one.

If it is indeed the same one as the Duke 390, the brake lever is going to be expensive to replace.

Last edited by nikhn : 24th June 2019 at 10:36. Reason: Additional information.
nikhn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 21:26   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Has anyone noticed? That is not a regular production Unit Construction Engine on the motorcycle in the pictures.
The side cases on both sides are totally different and the spark plug is on the right side rather than on the left.

Maybe I overlooked it but I didn't see this mentioned, except for one comment about it could be a OHC design.
Has anyone seen any information about this?

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 24th June 2019 at 21:27.
ArizonaJim is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 08:05   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismaya View Post
Now, only if they got rid of the noise creating long stroke engine for BSVI norms, it'd be an icing on the cake for me.
Oh that beautiful Thump! My 3 year old son makes me start my TB to listen to it! He calls my bike Dug Dug for its thump. RE will be history without the thump.

Also i'd love the kick starter atleast on the 350. Although I have an electric starter, but I usually kick start for the love of it.
Old 25th June 2019, 08:57   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
Has anyone noticed?
Maybe I overlooked it but I didn't see this mentioned, except for one comment about it could be a OHC design.
Has anyone seen any information about this?
Jim, you are right, these seem to be OHC engines as I can't see any openings for the Push Rod Adjustment. Even the crankcase looks very much similar to the twins.
Old 25th June 2019, 09:18   #20
Senior - BHPian

Looking at the new engine design looks like RE is gearing itself for the BSVI norms that will kick in from April 2020. If noticed carefully the Kick starter is no longer available on this new engine. Indeed it looks like an OHC engine but not sure if it will have EFi which is also one of the norms for BSVI.

I am also not sure if RE would be offering the same engine size as there was news a few years back of them replacing 350cc with 410cc and 500cc with 610cc single cylinder engines.

It looks like a thorough overhaul in engine design for meeting BSVI.

About the thump. As long as it is a big single it will thump albeit a very mild thump as seen on Himalayan LS410 engine.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 25th June 2019 at 09:20.
Old 25th June 2019, 09:22   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
Has anyone noticed?
Also the chassis is a double cradle one rather than the single cradle ones currently in production.

The headlight looks straight from the 50s RE Clipper model which had a smaller profile than the current ones.

The rear brake lever design seems to have been changed, earlier ones used to come below the footrest, and single horn unit instead of the dual ones.

Last edited by The Great : 25th June 2019 at 09:29.
The Great is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 11:33   #22
BHPian

Looks like these new bikes have nothing in common to the current gen bikes. Everything form the engine, chassis, tank, panels, lights, brakes look newly designed. Funny thing is RE designed and developed these bikes faster than Jawa delivery.
Torino is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 21:47   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torino View Post
Funny thing is RE designed and developed these bikes faster than Jawa delivery.
That's it. A fitting reply to it's real competitor. But wait;RE is now not the old company that spun motorcycles according to their on fancy. The Classic may be still better than Jawa; it ought to be - survival of the fittest, you know
Old 26th June 2019, 07:55   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torino View Post
Looks like these new bikes have nothing in common to the current gen bikes. Everything form the engine, chassis, tank, panels, lights, brakes look newly designed. Funny thing is RE designed and developed these bikes faster than Jawa delivery.
RE mite have quite a few projects running parallelly, as we know developing an engine from scratch is a long task. I am pretty much sure they might have started working on the new motor long time back, even before the Jawa was launched. With RE applying for patents for the "Meteor" and the Himalayan 650 in the grapevine, we need to see what further surprises RE has in its kitty. Things might not be as rosy as before for RE with lots of options cropping up.
Old 3rd July 2019, 10:55   #25
BHPian

More changes noticeable from these spy shots of the 2020 RE Classic. Looks like it'll get a digital display screen below the speedometer.

Updated Royal Enfield Classic & Thunderbird spied-img_20190703_105628.jpg

Updated Royal Enfield Classic & Thunderbird spied-img_20190703_105619.jpg

Source

Last edited by jailbird_fynix : 3rd July 2019 at 10:57.
jailbird_fynix is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2019, 16:56   #26
BHPian

2020 Royal Enfield Thunderbird 350 spied.

The next gen thumper will be equipped with electronic fuel injection in a bid to comply with upcoming BS6 emission norms. The test mule features alloy wheels, indicating that this is the X variant. (Rushlane)

Updated Royal Enfield Classic & Thunderbird spied-royalenfieldthunderbird350spiedlaunch3.jpg

A few more spy shots of the Classic 350 as well -

Updated Royal Enfield Classic & Thunderbird spied-2020royalenfieldclassic350fi21021x550.jpg

Updated Royal Enfield Classic & Thunderbird spied-2020royalenfieldclassic350fi31068x575.jpg

Last edited by jailbird_fynix : 5th July 2019 at 17:06.
jailbird_fynix is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th July 2019, 17:03   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailbird_fynix View Post
2020 Royal Enfield Thunderbird 350 spied.

The next gen thumper will be equipped with electronic fuel injection in a bid to comply with upcoming BS6 emission norms. The test mule features alloy wheels, indicating that this is the X variant. (Rushlane)

Attachment 1890454
It took me a really long time to get adjusted to the current Thunderbird's rear mudguard and design. And now RE have made it look even more alien, I am going to have a hard time going forward
aravind.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2019, 18:16   #28
Senior - BHPian

Looks like they are experimenting on a new cat-con set up.
The circled part wasn't there on the earlier test bikes.
With the push rods gone and a big cat-con, it's bye bye thump.
Old 5th July 2019, 19:08   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Looks like they are experimenting on a new cat-con set up.
The circled part wasn't there on the earlier test bikes.
With the push rods gone and a big cat-con, it's bye bye thump.
The thump is not a result of the pushrod setup. A bit of trivia I learnt just a few days ago: Vehicles in Britain used to be taxed according to the bore size and not according to the total displacement. This resulted in a variety of very long stroke engines in both cars and motorcycles. Technology at that time did not permit high engine speeds with long stroke engines because of the limitations of materials and processes used. So most engines were slow speed by modern standards, and required heavy flywheels to maintain momentum. Pushrod valve train was the most common technology at that time. Chain-driven valve train was reserved for racing engines. This then is the reason for the thump - a deep bass, slow engine beat.

Also note that had RE continued to be in business like Triumph, Norton, etc. They too would have moved on to more modern designs to keep up with the competition.

In my opinion, RE are very aware of attraction that "The thump" holds for loyal bullet fans and they wouldn't want to upset their loyal fanbase. So their new bike, if it's going to be called "Bullet", will have to be similar in character and sound to the existing bullets.
Motard_Blr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th July 2019, 21:14   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
The thump is not a result of the pushrod setup. A bit of trivia I learnt just a few days ago: Vehicles in Britain used to be taxed according to the bore size and not according to the total displacement. This resulted in a variety of very long stroke engines in both cars and motorcycles.
Was taxed on calculated, not actual HP. Calculation was called RAC rating.
Reason for basing taxation on this was that it was felt manufacturers could fudge HP figures, but not mechanical dimensions. Later on also the reason (till CO2 emissions came to the fore) taxation being based on capacity rather than HP.

You are right about the pushrods. Lots of misconceptions in this forum about pushrods, DOHC, and SOHC.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks