Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2020, 13:11   #151
BANNED

Re: Bajaj Chetak electric scooter, now launched at Rs. 1 lakh

Chetak Urbane deliveries to get delayed - Report
Old 19th January 2020, 20:56   #152
BHPian

I visited the Chetak experience centre in Pune and few things stand out.

1. After visiting showroom and workshop of the many small time players in EV scooter segment including Hero Electric, the Chetak experience centre is very nice.
2. The staff were knowledgeable and answered all queries.
3. Plenty of test drives given out and also a bunch of charging points available.
4. Fit and finish and power of scooter is a league above the small players.

I think it is a good product and will give a boost to the 2 wheeler EV segment. Even TVS is now getting into the game.
ohaak is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th January 2020, 08:56   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohaak View Post
I visited the Chetak experience centre in Pune and few things stand out.
Strange that Bajaj is already giving test rides in Pune and there are no scooters available in Bengaluru. Test rides in Bengaluru are still two weeks away starting from Feb 1st

Quote:
1. After visiting showroom and workshop of the many small time players in EV scooter segment including Hero Electric, the Chetak experience centre is very nice.
These small time players are the real culprits of spoiling the image of EVs. The kind of questions I get from people when I ride my Ather are funny but at the same time proof to this. People ask "No licence needed?", "Can it cross 30kmph?", "Can it pull with a pillion?", "Helmet needed for this also?", "Can you ride the ups and downs of Bengaluru?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
With BSVI becoming mandatory from April 2020 .. all ICE 2 Wheelers will increase in price as a shift from Carb to FI will happen for all two wheelers. This should make E-Scooters at least Competitive in terms of Running Costs Vis-a-Vis ICE Scooters
True. EVs will be lot cheaper than ICE vehicles...The other day My colleague got a quote for for Activa 125 BSVI. It was 98K OTR. 15k more for Ather and 6K to 22K higher for Chetak in OTR prices is nothing actually.
With a minimum of ₹1.50 less cost per km, the cost will be recovered in roughly 10000 kms of running.

Now considering the battery replacement at the worst case scenario of 30k kms and at the current cost of ₹30k (my estimate is that it will actually happen at 50K Kms and will cost around ₹20k IMO 3 years down the line), all the savings from running 10000-20000 kms will go towards that. still you save on running costs from 20000-30000kms. Either ways, EVs are cheaper to maintain!
hemanth.anand is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th January 2020, 09:49   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Strange that Bajaj is already giving test rides in Pune and there are no scooters available in Bengaluru. Test rides in Bengaluru are still two weeks away starting from Feb 1st
Akurdi (Pune) headquartered company with manufacturing spread between Pune and Waluj(Aurangabad), this one doesn't surprise me at all. Have seen many such launches where if the usage trend and buyer sentiment for a specific vehicle is prominent, and if the manufacturing hub is local, it is always these locations first. In this case, since it is a 2 wheeler first and an EV later, Pune has been synonymous with 2 wheelers that the fact also irritates you when you drive around the city .
Old 20th January 2020, 10:04   #155
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Akurdi (Pune) headquartered company with manufacturing spread between Pune and Waluj(Aurangabad), this one doesn't surprise me at all. Have seen many such launches where if the usage trend and buyer sentiment for a specific vehicle is prominent, and if the manufacturing hub is local, it is always these locations first. In this case, since it is a 2 wheeler first and an EV later, Pune has been synonymous with 2 wheelers that the fact also irritates you when you drive around the city .
Not surprised that it is offered in Pune as it is manufactured there. I find it surprising that it is not offered in Bengaluru. When it is launched in 2 cities, they should offer test rides in both cities. Pune and Bengaluru are connected by good roads and are less than 1000kms apart. sending 26 scooters (two per dealer) is hardly a day's task...3 weeks gap in this age is too much
Old 20th January 2020, 10:06   #156
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Not surprised that it is offered in Pune as it is manufactured there. I find it surprising that it is not offered in Bengaluru. When it is launched in 2 cities, they should offer test rides in both cities. Pune and Bengaluru are connected by good roads and are less than 1000kms apart. sending 26 scooters (two per dealer) is hardly a day's task...3 weeks gap in this age is too much
I am sure it's neither the distance nor the roads. May be something else. May be they wanted to check the response where it is launched first. May be they are finalizing their strategy on the launch circuit across the country.
Old 20th January 2020, 10:25   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
True. EVs will be lot cheaper than ICE vehicles...The other day My colleague got a quote for for Activa 125 BSVI. It was 98K OTR. 15k more for Ather and 6K to 22K higher for Chetak in OTR prices is nothing actually.
Plus the Govt. is also providing Tax Benefits for Loans on EVs.
Old 20th January 2020, 13:24   #158
BHPian

Some outside pictures of the Chetak Experience Center at FC Road, Pune. This is not associated with any dealership. There are plenty of those to buy and exchange vehicles from.
Attached Thumbnails
Bajaj Chetak electric scooter, now launched at Rs. 1 lakh-img_4259.jpeg  

Bajaj Chetak electric scooter, now launched at Rs. 1 lakh-img_4260.jpeg  

Bajaj Chetak electric scooter, now launched at Rs. 1 lakh-img_4262.jpeg  

Bajaj Chetak electric scooter, now launched at Rs. 1 lakh-img_4266.jpeg  

ohaak is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th January 2020, 13:34   #159
BHPian

Hello Riders,

I visited the Chetak brand showroom on FC Road, Pune (Opposite Police grounds)

Took a silent test ride with my wife. Power felt adequate but the silence of the EV was unnerving. The sports mode was really fun. The rear brakes felt a bit faded so the front disc brakes are a no-brainer in choosing the variant. The reverse gear is a novelty and there will be some bumps while parking initially as new riders will be confused between steering and throttle while reversing.

It felt a proper scooter in terms of size, feel and experience. Kudos to Bajaj! The switch gear and keyless entry are a bit modern to my liking. Short press one feature, long press another feature. This will take some time to build muscle memory. I was clueless (coming from an Enfield) what to press!

Booking amount is only INR 2k and online. No deliveries from the brand showroom so it's a hassle free test ride. No pressure for booking.

We just went to check it out and experience an EV and it was a good one to start with.

There is an adapter available for plugging into any 5A AC socket. (As per sales, I didn't see it)

Keep them charged,
surjaonwheelz

Last edited by surjaonwheelz : 20th January 2020 at 13:35.
surjaonwheelz is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 20th January 2020, 14:43   #160
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
There is an adapter available for plugging into any 5A AC socket. (As per sales, I didn't see it)
You should've checked for the adapter here!
Bajaj Chetak electric scooter, now launched at Rs. 1 lakh-annotation-20200120-143938.jpg

I saw the below one on Chetak's Social media account. I can see that there is an additional adaptor there to plug it into a 15A plug
Bajaj Chetak electric scooter, now launched at Rs. 1 lakh-smartselect_20200120142038_gallery.jpg
hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 13:59   #161
BHPian

Quote:

Two things:
I visited chandralayout KTM, No test drive!

Bangalore has the highest population of modern two wheeler Indian made EVs mainly due to Ather. Bangalore is the home of electric vehicles from Reva, E20 and even e verito has origins in Bangalore. I am really surprised to see why Bajaj does not want initial feedback from Ather guys of Bangalore. And Bangalore has the highest two wheeler population in the country. It took over from Delhi in 2018 as far as I know from statistics point of view. Every one here talks of reducing two wheelers but never happened.

Secondly, video below shows women manufacturing bajaj e chethak, seems like scooters are rolling out of the assembly line almost three months ago. Where are the scooters?

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st January 2020 at 16:49. Reason: Last line removed. Please avoid such comments on Team-BHP.
Old 21st January 2020, 14:17   #162
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogo0120 View Post
Two things:
I think only some showrooms are going to sell the electric. Indiranagar will have it soon.

Last edited by Aditya : 21st January 2020 at 17:20. Reason: Quoted text & subsequent reply edited
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 14:51   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Two things:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I think only some showrooms are going to sell the electric. Indiranagar will have it soon.
The following 13 KTM showrooms in Bangalore will have Chetaks
  1. Indiranagar
  2. HRBR layout
  3. Langford road
  4. Marathahalli
  5. Rajajinagar
  6. Banashankari
  7. Yelahanka
  8. Bhannerughatta road
  9. Whitefield
  10. Mekhri circle
  11. Electronic city
  12. Chandra layout
  13. BTM layout

In Pune it is only 5
  1. FC road
  2. Wakdewadi
  3. Bundgarden
  4. Kharadi
  5. Chakan
Old 21st January 2020, 15:30   #164
BHPian

https://www.drivespark.com/two-wheel...22-030228.html

Chandra layout is on the list as per above

In Bangalore, the Chetak electric scooter will be available in KTM dealerships located in Indiranagar, HRBR Layout, Marathahalli, Electronic City, Whitefield, Yelahanka, Mekhri Circle, BTM Layout, Banashankari, Lanford Road, Bannerghatta, Chandra Layout and Rajajinagar.

Visited Chandra layout and dropped my number to get back once we have scooter ready.
Old 24th January 2020, 18:05   #165
BHPian

Quote:
2. Weight is just 100 kgs, inspite of all metal body? Is this figure right?
Th showroom guys told me weight is 130 Kg. If true, then it will compete with Gixxer and FZ 155 both in price and weight.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks