Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2019, 13:23   #76
Senior - BHPian

re: Bajaj Chetak electric scooter, now launched at Rs. 1 lakh

I see a Petrol Engined Variant of the Chetak a very real possibility.

The EV can't be expected to generate volumes.. and a Petrol Engined Variant could help bring manufacturing costs down.

Chetak - IC | 150 cc | Fi | ABS | CVT | 80-85K (Ex-Showroom) - What Say?

Last edited by payeng : 21st October 2019 at 13:34.
payeng is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2019, 14:00   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
No one has shown what lies under the seat yet, since its not disclosed we can safetly assume it may not have any storage space.I hope i am wrong and we atleast have space to store a full size helmet.
The below image is that of the battery pack..I took it out of their promotional video.
Bajaj Chetak electric scooter, now launched at Rs. 1 lakh-screenshot_20191016213135_video-player.jpg

from another shot, it is clear that the battery is below the under-seat storage compartment.
Bajaj Chetak electric scooter, now launched at Rs. 1 lakh-screenshot_20191021132931_video-player.jpg

I've circled the Battery pack for clarity. Ather has the motor in approximately the same location.
Bajaj Chetak electric scooter, now launched at Rs. 1 lakh-chetak_20191021132931.jpg

The charging port is below the seat where ICE scooters traditionally have fuel filler opening
Bajaj Chetak electric scooter, now launched at Rs. 1 lakh-screenshot_20191016213212_video-player.jpg

Looking at these, we can safely assume that there definitely is a storage space under the seat. the above image shows that too.
However what's not clear is the exact amount of space. Assuming that the 19litres is actually true, my guess is that a full size helmet cannot be accommodated in this space. In fact I will be surprised if it can be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Scooters place batteries in the footboard area? I've not seen that. Or maybe it was well hidden. Hope the underseat has helmet storage and not packed to the gills with battery.
Ather 450 houses the battery in the footboard area. ICE scooters need a just a tiny battery and it will be generally below the seat storage area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
I see a Petrol Engined Variant of the Chetak a very real possibility.
Looking at how the Chetak is designed and constructed, I feel it will definitely get a ICE variant too. Battery pack area in the EV will be replaced by Engine and GB, the charging point location will get the fuel tank, the swing-arm mounted motor will just be removed

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 21st October 2019 at 14:02.
hemanth.anand is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st October 2019, 14:23   #78
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
Chetak - IC | 150 cc | Fi
Followed by Chetak 150 Carb, Chetak 125, 110, 135, 100 etc. Would be very unlike Bajaj to not think about several engine configurations already!

But I'm guessing they may wait for some time (at least till the 2020 festive season) so that the electric can cash in on the novelty factor.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st October 2019, 15:24   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Followed by Chetak 150 Carb, Chetak 125, 110, 135, 100 etc. Would be very unlike Bajaj to not think about several engine configurations already!

But I'm guessing they may wait for some time (at least till the 2020 festive season) so that the electric can cash in on the novelty factor.
EV's with the current tech | infrastructure and | pricing do not stand to bring in numbers.

Regarding to "Chetak 150 Carb, Chetak 125, 110, 135, 100 etc." ...

1. Post April 2020 every IC Engine would get converted to Fi thanks to BG6 norms. (therefore no chance of a Carb version)

2. Anything above 125 cc will have to get ABS (no chance of a 135) and

3. anything below 125 cc won't give any strategic advantage (since there are umpteem options from Honda , TVS, Suzuki, Yamaha, Vespa, Piaggio) - (Dont think a 110,125 version makes sense now).

4. A 150 cc IC Engined offering would also go with the Premium Positioning of the Chetak. Might not generate the numbers that current 100-110-125 cc scooters make.. but should sell more than the EV

Last edited by payeng : 21st October 2019 at 15:28.
payeng is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2019, 07:30   #80
BHPian

Closer look at Chetak and its charging cable. While charging port is under the seat, looks like seat can be closed once the charging cable is connected to the port. Also, you can hear the noise the fan makes while its charging.

sri_tesla is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2019, 08:32   #81
BHPian

Quote:

No one has shown what lies under the seat yet, since its not disclosed we can safetly assume it may not have any storage space.I hope i am wrong and we atleast have space to store a full size helmet.
Here it is,

Bajaj Chetak electric scooter, now launched at Rs. 1 lakh-bajajchetakelectricfeatures.jpg

Source - https://www.motorbeam.com/bajaj-chet...h-in-jan-2020/

As per the specifications I read elsewhere it is 19 liters, which is tad less than our Access 125. So I feel a medium size full face helmet goes in there.

KK
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2019, 17:10   #82
Senior - BHPian

The depth looks very less. Maybe those half helmets can fit in. So all that gorgeousness comes with a price! Ather has decent storage there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
As per the specifications I read elsewhere it is 19 liters, which is tad less than our Access 125
Old 22nd October 2019, 17:54   #83
Senior - BHPian

First Chetak in the family was in 1985, a blue colored hulk. My favorite part of riding it was to wave by extending arm on the side of turn. I was designated HUMAN INDICATOR.

Second Chetak (with indicators) came into family on 06th Jan 1997, a beige one & was sold off on 6th Jan 2006. I still regret selling it but I had moved on to 4 wheels. Alas those were the days of riding scooter in winters of Chandigarh. I always preferred scooters over motorcycles as the shielded front area saved legs & feet from getting frozen in winters.

All The Best to Bajaj & as from experience with old-gen Chetaks, I hope that this one wont require to be tilted to one side to START it.

Regards-Sonu

Last edited by ariesonu : 22nd October 2019 at 17:54. Reason: Typo
ariesonu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 11:35   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
Here it is,

Attachment 1925627

Source - https://www.motorbeam.com/bajaj-chet...h-in-jan-2020/

As per the specifications I read elsewhere it is 19 liters, which is tad less than our Access 125. So I feel a medium size full face helmet goes in there.

KK
Wow, if the charging point is located under seat, does Bajaj expect us to keep seat open while charging? can you imagine this in our typical indian parking scenario?

Also I hope the battery is removable so that this particular thing goes out of question.
Old 25th October 2019, 11:43   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Wow, if the charging point is located under seat, does Bajaj expect us to keep seat open while charging? can you imagine this in our typical indian parking scenario?

Also I hope the battery is removable so that this particular thing goes out of question.
I doubt it. Looking at the pictures of the battery pack that @hemanth.anand has posted in the same thread, it does not look removable. That said, IMO, the electrical socket must be shaped in such way that it allows the charging cable to be connected with seat closed. For mitigating the heat during charging cycle, there is cooling fan i think. That's only my guess.
Old 26th October 2019, 09:06   #86
BHPian

Though the present design looks very clean, chic and modern, I still love the age old styling of Chetak. I still love the steel wheel design of the old one.
Would have bought one if it was the classic model with an electric heart. This modern version has not really appealed to my heart.
Pic courtesy: http://350cc.com/wp-content/uploads/...or-Customs.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Bajaj Chetak electric scooter, now launched at Rs. 1 lakh-restoredbajajchetakscootereimorcustoms.jpg  

Old 26th October 2019, 09:23   #87
Senior - BHPian

No, the charging point is external. Just below the seat, at the end, where the rear light usually is. There was a video shared on charging the Chetak, alone.
Quote:
Wow, if the charging point is located under seat, does Bajaj expect us to keep seat open while charging? can you imagine this in our typical indian parking scenario? Also I hope the battery is removable so that this particular thing goes out of question.
Old 26th October 2019, 12:34   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
seat can be closed during charging. The port on the scooter is similar to the one on our Desktops CPUs but with a rubber seal to make it water resistant. The wire looks like the one from the E2O. This is clear in the video that Sri_tesla has shared a few posts above (Post #80)

Bajaj Chetak electric scooter, now launched at Rs. 1 lakh-20191026_121855.jpg
Charging with seat closed

Bajaj Chetak electric scooter, now launched at Rs. 1 lakh-20191026_123150.jpg
Scooter end of the charger

Bajaj Chetak electric scooter, now launched at Rs. 1 lakh-20191026_123135.jpg
Wall end of the charger

Quote:
removable battery may seem advantageous but it has it's own set of problems. Not the best solution IMO. Just like how our phones don't come with removable batteries anymore.

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 26th October 2019 at 12:35.
hemanth.anand is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th October 2019, 12:27   #89
Senior - BHPian

Bajaj has an official video out
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2019, 11:34   #90
Team-BHP Support

ACI speculates that Chetak will initially be sold only through KTM dealerships -

Quote:
According to our sources, the new Bajaj Chetak will go on sale in Pune, Bengaluru and other initial markets through KTM dealerships. The KTM dealer network is more premium, and is therefore more fitting for the premium positioning Bajaj has in mind for the new Chetak
https://www.autocarindia.com/bike-ne...n-india-414663

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks