Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2019, 12:22   #1
BHPian

1st Motorcycle for a beginner

I have been driving since my childhood but at 39 I just thought I should start exploring the world of riding.

Long back I have learnt riding bicycles during my college, and had met with a scary accident not knowing how brakes work. I can ride bicycle fairly well. Recently, after so many years, I just bought a Honda activa and started learning riding in it. Last week I got my two wheeler license approved. I am able to manage to ride the activa on my own, did not try with pillion yet.

Given this background, I was thinking about buying a motorcycle. My question is, which is the best motorcycle for new riders that offers good stability and very forgiving, and does not tend to fall down with stupid mistakes from a learner. Also, I would like to know how important is dual channel abs and tire width. I can stretch my budget but safety is my primary concern. I am 6 ft 2 inches.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by sumannandy : 22nd December 2019 at 12:25.
sumannandy is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2019, 12:33   #2
BHPian

re: 1st Motorcycle for a beginner

It is the 1st time you're going to be riding a motorcycle so i suggest you start with the 150-200cc category, you've a variety of motorcycles to choose from this category, from the Yamaha Fz and the Yamaha Mt-15 to the Apache 200's and KTM Duke 200. May be we can help you choose a motorcycle based on what your budget, your riding style- Highway/City, and what type(Naked, Faired etc) would you prefer.
CarManMotorcycl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2019, 12:46   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
Given this background, I was thinking about buying a motorcycle.
No such thing as a safe motorcycle. If you stretch your imagination you may be able to arrive at the perfect motorcycle(paradox in itself) but you'd never be able to arrive at something that's absolutely safe.

So you'd be fine going for what your heart desires as long as you keep the nut connecting the handlebars and saddle in check.

ABS doesn't guaranty utmost safety, it just lets you get away with a lack of finesse at times given there are certain conditions in your favor i.e condition/compound of tyres, type/condition of braking surface, weight transfer etc.

If you're adamant on researching then I'd suggest you give priority to understanding mechanisms over peoples opinions cause machines simply aren't opinionated.

Cheers and Happy Riding,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2019, 13:01   #4
BHPian

I'd say stick with the scooter for now. Take advantage of the simplicity of riding a scooter to get some more riding experience. Move onto motorcycles a few months later or when you feel confident about things
drt_rdr is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2019, 13:25   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
No such thing as a safe motorcycle. If you stretch your imagination you may be able to arrive at the perfect motorcycle(paradox in itself) but you'd never be able to arrive at something that's absolutely safe.
Yeah, what he said. Absolutely correct.

Quote:
.. My question is, which is the best motorcycle for new riders that offers good stability and very forgiving, and does not tend to fall down with stupid mistakes from a learner. Also, I would like to know how important is dual channel abs and tire width. I can stretch my budget but safety is my primary concern. I am 6 ft 2 inches.

Thanks in advance.
I have two suggestions for you.
  • Buy something light. You should be able to easily move the bike around when you are not on it. The weight should be easy to handle and there should be good grab handles on the stock bike.
  • Buy a bike on which, once perched, you can comfortably keep both feet on the ground. Try this with bare feet; which will translate to even better comfort and reach with shoes on.

Whatever you choose to do; ride slow and be safe. Try to research online about riding safety. There is tonnes of material out there. While you are reading up on it, be advised that India is a country where safety is not prioritized in any way, shape, or form - not only are people casual about their own safety, they tend to laugh at others who take a more serious outlook towards the same So, read everything; talk to as many people as possible; and then take your own decision.

Cheers
mohansrides is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2019, 14:15   #6
BHPian

Quote:
I am 6 ft 2 inches.
I’m 6.2 ft myself, and have been looking for a motorcycle in the past few months. I should mention that I’m only a scrawny teenager and that you probably would have a much better time handling a moderately heavy bike anyway.

Coming to the point, take a look at the Yamaha Saluto. It’s lightweight (I can put on the centre stand blindfolded- which is saying something), provides decent mileage, and comes with CBS (combi brake system). Doesn’t get ABS though, but it’s not a deal breaker for a beginner. The stock brakes offer sufficient bite- again, from a beginner’s point of view). Comes in two engine options: 110 and 125 CC. Choose the latter for obvious reasons. It has good pickup in first gear, albeit a little jerky for my liking.

There’s other bikes like the Honda Shine, Dream series, Bajaj Platina etc., but they’re not really that great all rounders compared to the Saluto. You might want to check out the rides from a segment above- Unicorn etc.

It all boils down to what you want, at the end of the day. List down your needs and expectations, test them all out first, and then make your call. Best of luck!
TheHelix0202 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2019, 14:30   #7
BHPian

Congratulations for getting your 2 wheeler liscence approved and welcome to the world of motorcycles.

Just invest some amount in descent helmet and riding gear if you haven't purchased yet.

My advice would be start with basic motorcycles, buy yourself a used Bajaj Platina / Hero Splendor / Honda Shine (though it is 125cc, light enough to handle) and keep them for a year. These are very nimble , easy to ride - easy to fix simpler motorcycles. With such motorcycle work on your riding skills (riding motorcycle through city traffic requires special set of skills ) , know motorcycle and its mechanicals and at least learn to fix minor problems by self like spark plug change, brake adjustments, oil changes etc. Learn to ride with pillion as well and do longer weekend rides which would help immensely to boost your confidence. Once you get past the stage where you no longer count yourself a beginner sold off the old motorcycle and get yourself a upgrade - a good, fun motorcycle according to your requirements.

Last edited by Eddy : 22nd December 2019 at 17:21. Reason: Removed the last line since it was not appropriate for all ages.
JJay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2019, 14:41   #8
BHPian

Apart from few, every motorcycle available in the current Indian market is good in its own right. It all boils down to one's requirements, budget, riding style and also what one expects from a bike. So, a perfect bike in my book is what it is, a perfect bike in my book!

My suggestion would be to buy a used lightweight motorcycle, something like a Splendor, CT100, Star City, CD110, etc and get hang of it. When you are confident enough AND when you think you are happy riding a geared motorcycle in traffic then you can get yourself a brand new bike, and by that time you will know what you want from a bike.

But if you want to buy now, in my opinion Honda Unicorn would be a great option, comfortable, easy to ride, easy to maneuver, enough power but at the same time not intimidating for a beginner, butter smooth engine.. I guess I have said enough.

But, the best way to find out what motorcycle to buy is to ride a dozen then short list half a dozen then ride them again for long periods then zero in on one. Cheers!

Edit: we are on the same page JJay!

Last edited by tchsvy : 22nd December 2019 at 14:44.
tchsvy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2019, 01:48   #9
BHPian

Re: 1st Motorcycle for a beginner

Age isn’t a limitation, not at least 39, I have seen cases where someone learned driving at 60 and renews license every five years.

As many have suggested, basic time tested commuter bikes with upright posture such as Splendor, Unicorn, should be good. Better keep the Lean forward types for a later stage if that is your liking.

Although I am a great fan of used cars, when it comes to motorcycles, I would prefer new. That’s because no matter how good a rider is, motorcycles degrade fast. vibrations amplify, handle bars wobble. ride comfort, handling, stability and safety are compromised.
Thermodynamics is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2019, 09:00   #10
BHPian

Quote:
I have been driving since my childhood but at 39 I just thought I should start exploring the world of riding.

Given this background, I was thinking about buying a motorcycle. My question is, which is the best motorcycle for new riders that offers good stability and very forgiving, and does not tend to fall down with stupid mistakes from a learner. Also, I would like to know how important is dual channel abs and tire width. I can stretch my budget but safety is my primary concern. I am 6 ft 2 inches.

Thanks in advance.
I have a totally different take on this. I'm 38 years old and can understand the some of the unsaid requirements at this life stage. I myself have a RE classic 350 and have stopped riding it frequently due to the horrible brakes and couple of scary moments when the brakes didn't make the bike stop on time. This brings to my first point.
Point 1: Your bike should have excellent brakes. Front and back discs with ABS. So normal commuter bikes are out.

Agreeing to some of the comments from other members that on the seat height factor
Point 2: you should be able to flat foot sitting on the bike with some ease. This would give you better control while moving the bike around.
But you are 6'2". Hence , this doesn't affect you at all. Most bikes sold in India shouldn't give you a problem.

Point 3: I'm guessing that a bike that you are buying now ( at 39) should be good enough NOT to make you upgrade very frequently. It should be good for city, highway commute and if you get hooked and decide to ride long distance, it should be equipped to do that.

Considering all the above factors, i would suggest you give all entry level commuter bikes a miss. Buy a mid level ( 600-800cc) bike like Ninja , Versys, vstrom etc. You can decide on second hand or new depending on your budget.
Lambydude is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2019, 09:34   #11
BHPian

Quote:

Long back I have learnt riding bicycles during my college, and had met with a scary accident not knowing how brakes work. I can ride bicycle fairly well. Recently, after so many years, I just bought a Honda activa and started learning riding in it. Last week I got my two wheeler license approved. I am able to manage to ride the activa on my own, did not try with pillion yet.

Thanks in advance.
Hi Suman,
A simple Rule of thumb to be followed when driving any vehicle ( 2 / 4 wheeler ) is the fact that. You need to understand the vehicle dynamics and modify your driving habits to suit it. Once you are confident enough to ride your vehicle then try the extremities like understand at what speeds applying sudden brake causes your bike to lock wheel, fish tail, safely brake etc..
According to me there is a honeymoon period associated with every new / old vehicle, if you are riding it for the first time.
Regarding your question on Dual channel abs & tyre width. "Yes" it does help immensely if you are a new rider. ABS basically avoids you having wheel locks and fishtails thus ensuring you dont skid of from your bike during hard braking.
SAMUDRA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2019, 10:26   #12
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest, stick to the Activa and learn the basics of 2-wheeler riding. (Though this is easier to learn on a bike than a moped).

My suggestion comes from the fact that every decent bike is a Lakh rupees today and unless you are sure, doesnt make financial sence to buy one. See how you take to riding on a Activa and then transition to a geared bike.

Transitioning to a geared bike right away may scare you from riding two wheelers altogether.
2000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2019, 11:13   #13
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Hi Suman, yours story is same as mine. I used to ride my cycle though a bit rash and always dreamed of riding a bike someday. However, once while sitting pillion, an accident broke 5 bones of my feet and I almost dropped the idea of riding a 2 wheeler ever in my life.

With increasing traffic while commuting to office, I broke my promise one day and started with a TVS Wego almost 8 years back. I was scared, shaky but still could manage to ride it for 20K KM.

In 2017, I switched to first bike of my life which is a Honda Hornet 160. I liked its looks, X style brake lights and large rear tyre. Like all my other vehicles, I could not drive this one to my home from the showroom and needed help.

In next 6 - 8 months, the odo clocked just 100 KMs. I took utter precaution, because of my past and definitely I did not want to hurt anyone while learning to ride a bike.

In this slow process of learning, I could differentiate the driving style between a car and bike e.g. in car, I use neutral, its the baseline from where you know where to go. What I understood, the same funda one should not apply to a bike. For bike, just move up or down based on your speed and engine rev, do not try to find the neutral which you might just pass by and hit the 1st gear instead.

Bike driving is much unsafe in India. What I learnt, is gravels are the most treacherous for a bike. If you are speeding, turning on gravels and suddenly you have to apply brakes, then God can only save you from falling. Your body balance, reflex and ability to get back your bikes balance can save you. Not the ABS, tyres or some other bike feature. That's my take.

Now my odo is clocking 6000 KM and definitely I still consider myself a novice rider. I brake much earlier and don't want to push the bike or myself to a doubtful situation at high speeds.

With your height, I think even if you do not get a test ride, but atleast sit on different bikes before finalizing one. Its good to start with something comfortable and gradually upgrade.

Happy biking.
livetodrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2019, 14:16   #14
BHPian

I have recently bought a used Avenger Street 220, and after having ridden a Dio for almost the last ten years, it has been a fairly easy upgrade. That's what my recommendation for you would be, provided you can manage it at your height. However, as stated earlier, riding a scooter for a while should be your priority at the moment. Happy riding!
Attached Thumbnails
1st Motorcycle for a beginner-images-9.jpeg  

sainyamk95 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2019, 17:33   #15
BHPian

Only one bike to fit all,
Hmmmm...

Go for Honda Unicorn. You'll love it. It is beginner friendly, has impeccable road manners and is quite forgiving.
Cool_leo_guy is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks