Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2020, 13:40   #46
BHPian

Re: My Hero XPulse 200 - Himalayan Wanderlust

Quote:
Originally Posted by antihero View Post
Meanwhile heromotors is asking for user details on twitter for people who are reporting the ABS issue. If you are facing this issue. I request everyone to ping them asap.
Thanks, I did it as soon as I saw your post day before yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast.ggn View Post
If anyone here has received a feedback from Hero till now, kindly share.
Received a call from the dealership today so the guy on phone already knew why the complaint was raised. He assured me that he will order a new ABS unit for me and will let me know once it gets delivered. There was no mention of words like 'recall' or 'replacement'. I did ask him whether or not they are supposed to replace the ATE ABS unit with the MiniMAB ABS unit on all Xpulse units sold by them and not just mine to which there was no firm reply.
VR/46_Chet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 10:54   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Then he tells me that the Hero RideGuide app is extremely buggy as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VR/46_Chet View Post
Yes, the navigation sucks. Outside city limits, most of the times it just keeps reconnecting forever until you stop - disconnect - reconnect manually.

Lastly, I'd like to add that although the USB charger is a nice feature, there's not much space to keep the cellphone (especially given the ever increasing size) and the size of the storage unit could've been a bit more to accommodate.
While the app is lousy to put it mildly, I think the issues you guys are facing are down to Android (assuming you are trying on Android device) and not the app.

Go to Settings (phone settings)> Installed Apps / Manage Apps > Hero Ride Guide > Battery Saver > Select 'No restriction'

Android limits the power an app can use in background which messes with the GPS usage. Try this and the problem should go away.

About the USB port, the current output is way too low for it to be usable for anything other than an emergency. True about it not being safe to keep a Lithium Ion battery there in a closed compartment as well.

Apart from that, all valid observations. My experience with Hero workshop was pretty similar. Mechanics are eager to jump on the motorcycle and one gets sort of a priority treatment, which is pleasantly nice. My other ride is also a Duke 390 and I find the seat on Xpulse much less comfortable over anything more than 120-130 kms.

I am close to 6'3 and the low seat (relative to footpegs) makes it a little uncomfortable. Getting the rally seat as soon as it is available. The handle also feels low when standing up so the risers are also coming for sure. Have also asked the local Hero workshop to get the main stand as it would make fixing punctures easier.

I don't have a lot of experience with tube tyres except for a Thunderbird for like 17-18K kms. I was considering keeping a spare tube tucked under the seat for sticky situations outside city but not sure what size to pick with the wheels being 21 and 18. Any suggestions?
motonomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2020, 12:32   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motonomad View Post
I think the issues you guys are facing are down to Android (assuming you are trying on Android device) and not the app.
That's quite possible. I'll try the solution suggested by you and check if it works better.

Quote:
I was considering keeping a spare tube tucked under the seat for sticky situations outside city but not sure what size to pick with the wheels being 21 and 18. Any suggestions?
If it's only for getting out of situations, a 21" front tube is all you need. It can fit the 18" rear and easily get the job done for ~100kms. There are cases where people have used this setup for 1200kms+ and there are cases where this has failed within 50kms as well. So I'll say this setup is only for emergencies, one can always carry both the tubes when going for a long ride.
VR/46_Chet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2020, 13:54   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR/46_Chet View Post
If it's only for getting out of situations, a 21" front tube is all you need.
Yes I meant for getting out of situations only, like leaving a backup tube there for occasional trips of 200 kms I have to take to my hometown. Will carry the right sizes obviously for longer trips but I guess I would stick to the Duke 390 if it is going to be on highways. The possibility that I see with the Xpulse is to load it up on a train and send it someplace to go around, something I was not comfortable doing with the D390. All the bumpy but beautiful sections I omitted with the D390 are gonna get covered starting now. The highways get boring eventually anyway on a slow motorcycle.
Old 3rd April 2020, 08:47   #50

Hello, fellow riders
A little introduction about myself before we get into the topic right away. I'm a mechanical engineer from Bangalore, also an avid follower of T-BHP since my college days. Around 2019 I started looking for a bike to hit some trails on weekends, initially planned on buying a used Impulse and modify it along the way to suit my needs and preference. Meanwhile, Hero had announced it would be launching the new Xpulse and my friend convinced me to take a look at it. One of the major problems with the Impulse was lack of spares and most used bikes were abused.
Around May 2019 we test rode a bike and I was convinced with the bike though it wasn't as agile as Impulse, braking, and the suspension were better than Impulse. Impulse vs Xpulse is a big debatable topic as impulse chassis is perfect for off-roading since it was developed by Honda, on the other Xpulse shares its chassis with Karizma and is a huge mix and match of parts from Hero.
My friend picked up the first bike in Karnataka and I got to experience it for a couple of months before I take a leap into buying one. Since I got more time to review the bike for a long time, it grew on me.

Then I got busy with work and by the end of 2019, I decided to buy one since it was year-end I thought I'll buy a 2020 model and went to SAI MOTORS Banashankari and found out all the 2020 model bikes would be BS6 and will be available after March 2020, So I bought a 2019 bike, took delivery on 27th of January 2020. Ex-showroom price was about 1,06,000L, Road taxes, and 5-year comprehensive insurance the total came to 1,41,000L.

• Most affordable soft off-roader in the segment.
  • Fuel Injection is controlled by Keihin ECU is excellent and efficient. It is also a closed-loop system with Lamda(O2 sensor).
  • Easy to maintain, Easy availability of spares.
  • Availiblity of rally kit, will be upgrading to fully adjustable suspensions as soon as it is available (stock suspension is too soft for my liking).
  • 21 Inch front and 18 inch rear wheels are just perfect for city and off-road use (most dual-sport/dirtbike come with the same setup).
  • Decent Ergonomics and handling.
  • Multi-function display is good and readable.
Dislikes
  • ABS has a major calibration issue, every time I hit a road bump or pothole or the front wheel is off the ground it kicks on the ABS pump and jams the front brake lever.
  • Multi-function display has turn by turn navigation which can be connected to the phone via Bluetooth but it is very slow rendering useless.
  • Also MFD has a gear shift indicator that is not connected to any sensor, it works with the ECU which calculates gear according to wheel speed, my friend's bike has a different sprocket so the gear indicator reads a gear higher or so.
  • Hero could have done a better job with the wiring, most of the wiring ends are wrapped with insulation tape which unwraps itself over a period of time.
  • LED Headlight isn't good enough for highway use.
  • WIth a Kerb weight of 154 Kgs and 12-13 hp the bike feels underpowered, but I'm very much enjoying it apart from doing some top speed runs.
My Hero XPulse 200 - Himalayan Wanderlust-aa0e82054a564672a75fca14fa23956f.jpg

My Hero XPulse 200 - Himalayan Wanderlust-img7437.jpg

My Hero XPulse 200 - Himalayan Wanderlust-img7453.jpg

My Hero XPulse 200 - Himalayan Wanderlust-img7456.jpg

My Hero XPulse 200 - Himalayan Wanderlust-img7457.jpg

My Hero XPulse 200 - Himalayan Wanderlust-img7458.jpg
SpeedPsych is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th April 2020, 17:07   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedPsych View Post
Dislikes
  • Multi-function display has turn by turn navigation which can be connected to the phone via Bluetooth but it is very slow rendering useless.
  • Hero could have done a better job with the wiring, most of the wiring ends are wrapped with insulation tape which unwraps itself over a period of time.
Likely because of power usage restrictions on the app. Try the method I shared previously and see if it fixes.
Quote:
I think the issues you guys are facing are down to Android (assuming you are trying on Android device) and not the app.

Go to Settings (phone settings)> Installed Apps / Manage Apps > Hero Ride Guide > Battery Saver > Select 'No restriction'

Android limits the power an app can use in background which messes with the GPS usage. Try this and the problem should go away.
Also true about the wires, I was pissed when I saw the insulation on the wires of O2 sensor, then noticed it was the same everywhere on all the motorcycles. Couple of other rough edges too.
But then I told myself that it has 5 year warranty and it is their problem, not mine till then, in any case it is not my primary vehicle and service is cheap so I can live with any time it spends in the workshop if these issues cause any trouble.
Old 15th September 2020, 12:07   #52
BHPian

First of all, great thread, some really nice insights. Glad to have gone through these experiences.

I am very close to getting an Xpulse after having raced an RE Himalayan and my dad's old Impulse in multiple dirt track events and a handful of rallies. I really like the Impulse but that bike requires way too much mechanical intervention which is just not trustworthy in NCR and spares are also getting scarce every day.

Back to the X now, I would love to know if the BS4 and the BS6 variants really differ all that much, I know the BS6 version weighs about 3kgs heavier (@indian companies, pls make lighter bikes, we're trying to enjoy the dirt, not wrestle in it) and makes a little less power, but is that difference noticeable? Should I go for a second hand BS4 or a brand new BS6? My intent with riding is going to be 80% dirt riding and 20% road use.
jaymanrides18 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2020, 12:58   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymanrides18 View Post
I am very close to getting an Xpulse after having raced an RE Himalayan and my dad's old Impulse in multiple dirt track events and a handful of rallies. I really like the Impulse but that bike requires way too much mechanical intervention which is just not trustworthy in NCR and spares are also getting scarce every day.

Back to the X now, I would love to know if the BS4 and the BS6 variants really differ all that much, I know the BS6 version weighs about 3kgs heavier (@indian companies, pls make lighter bikes, we're trying to enjoy the dirt, not wrestle in it) and makes a little less power, but is that difference noticeable? Should I go for a second hand BS4 or a brand new BS6? My intent with riding is going to be 80% dirt riding and 20% road use.
The weight gain is unavoidable due to the BS6 / Euro 5 transition, every motorcycle company around the world is struggling with this thanks to the tighter emission norms that they have to comply with. I have heard that the power delivery on the BS6 bikes is slightly smoother but I havent test ridden it yet. The additional 3 kgs will be noticeable to you, given your rallying experience and the BS4 options appear to make more sense in this situation. Try and a relatively newer BS4 bike though, I have heard of some bikes needing a lot of engine work, all of which was covered under warranty.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 13:58   #54
BHPian

Hey! Thanks for this thread, it's so wonderfully drafted and full of information.

I wanted to share that I too recently became the owner of this beautiful red Hero Xpulse BS4.
My Hero XPulse 200 - Himalayan Wanderlust-whatsapp-image-20200924-5.47.18-pm.jpeg
I want to buy the carb version because of the tinkering it allows and my experience with an FI Himalayan when compared to my dad's carbureted Himalayan often seemed dull. I intend on using the X for the occasional rally or two, weekly trail rides and maybe some touring.

I do really like the agility and the nimble feeling of the X and the responsiveness over the Impulse. Although since my Impulse was set according to me, ergonomically, I do miss that connection but I will soon modify the bike according to me.

My Hero XPulse 200 - Himalayan Wanderlust-_mg_9851.jpg

This is the Impulse I was riding before the X, it's my dad's bike - he's gotten a couple podium finishes on this moto.

A lot of people compare the X to the Himalayan which I think is not a fair comparison, the weight, the power are very different on the two. I've raced and toured on the Himalayan and I think it's an excellent bike but it requires quite a lot of skill when ridden fast on the dirt, the bike tank slaps like it's getting paid for it

Although, I am glad it was my first bike, it taught me a lot about riding safely and realize the forgiving nature of Indian motorcycles (the KTM 450EXC makes you pay for every decision you make on it, Indian motos are more forgiving as they're docile)

My Hero XPulse 200 - Himalayan Wanderlust-1e81e3b4a347420db5ec32f920d9528d.jpg

But uff, the grunt and the power to go over an obstacle, just too good. I think the Himalayan can only truly be compared to the older KLX 650, but I could be wrong. I reduced about 13kgs on my Himalayan, that made the bike more manageable but increased vibrations and rider discomfort as we essentially removed parts that absorbed the vibrations; parts like the tank guard, center stand, exhaust, extra plastic and metal bits.

So yeah, I am very happy with the X, it feels like the right bike for me for my purpose and it allows for enough tinkering without seemingly getting worse. I intend on keeping the bike stock whilst only making ergo changes.
jaymanrides18 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 18:33   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymanrides18 View Post
Hey! Thanks for this thread, it's so wonderfully drafted and full of information.
I wanted to share that I too recently became the owner of this beautiful red Hero Xpulse BS4.
Congratulations, and nice photos.
I see that you are from Gurgaon as well. What are the usual areas where you train / practice? So far, I have been using some trails that branch out from Gurgaon- Faridabad road near my place which is good fun but at times crowded. Was also thinking of checking with the folks at Throttle Shrottle about their track but didn't get the chance. Also, since I am new off road, if you have suggestions for trainers / classes if any?
Old 13th October 2020, 12:30   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations, and nice photos.
I see that you are from Gurgaon as well. What are the usual areas where you train / practice? So far, I have been using some trails that branch out from Gurgaon- Faridabad road near my place which is good fun but at times crowded. Was also thinking of checking with the folks at Throttle Shrottle about their track but didn't get the chance. Also, since I am new off road, if you have suggestions for trainers / classes if any?
Hey man, yes - G town boi here. We actually have service where we train people, if you're keen on joining or discussing more, hit me up on Instagram, @jaymanrides18.
Old 10th January 2021, 17:03   #57
BHPian

This one is my bike.
The forest trail is just 6km from my home in Pathanamthitta. Language barrier aside, please enjoy.

sreeJiva is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 16:00   #58
BHPian

A small long overdue update on the Xpulse from November 2020.

I had to help a friend shift house from Delhi to Himachal and this is when public transport read trains and busses are not running. So decided to use the Xpulse200 for a one stop run from Patnitop to Dehi and back the next week.
This was a 700km+ ride one way and my plan was to do it with my own packed water and food so I wouldn't have to interact with anyone along the way (corona fear). I was a little apprehensive about doing it on a bike that had only done 2000 kms but what the heck. It's not like I had any choice in the matter.

To cut a long story short I started from Patnitop at 3:45 am on November 12 and was parked at Delhi vasant kunj exactly at 5:45 pm. 14 hours in total with a riding time of 12 hours 48 mins. Most of this was a highway run of 4 lanes and wider. The speed that I usually stuck to was 80kmph. 2 fuel pitstops along the way. Total fuel used for the 704 km journey was around 1250 rs / 15 litres.

My Hero XPulse 200 - Himalayan Wanderlust-screenshot_20210113152628_photos.png

The return was the same. Start from Vasant Kunj Delhi at 3:45 am and back in patnitop just before sunset at 5:30pm. Again 13 hours 44 mins in total with a ride time of 12:48 hours. Again similar speed and similar fuel usage.

My Hero XPulse 200 - Himalayan Wanderlust-screenshot_20210113152538_photos.png

Maintainence:

Only mantainence carried out was self tightning the chain in Delhi.

The problems:
1. The chain was running excessively dry on my way back to the point it started causing slight judders. Stopped at a roadside mechanic and used his oilcan to lube it up with geariil. Was perfect after that. Kicking my shins for not relining the chain in delhi. Human error, not the machine.

2. Horn stopped working at jammu. Returned home to find an insect had got inside the switchgear (two small holes at bottom) and died causing the horn switch to not complete the circuit. Cleaned dead insect. Horn back to normal.

So for those of you who are wondering what is the best bike for touring or whether the Xpulse can be used for a highway run?
My answer: the best touring bke is the one that you own and have maintained properly. As for highway touring on the Xpulse I guess the two photographs above answer that question.

Last edited by antihero : 13th January 2021 at 16:06. Reason: grammar
antihero is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 16:11   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

To cut a long story short I started from Patnitop at 3:45 am on November 12 and was parked at Delhi vasant kunj exactly at 5:45 pm. 14 hours in total with a riding time of 12 hours 48 mins. Most of this was a highway run of 4 lanes and wider. The speed that I usually stuck to was 80kmph. 2 fuel pitstops along the way. Total fuel used for the 704 km journey was around 1250 rs / 15 litres.

The return was the same. Start from Vasant Kunj Delhi at 3:45 am and back in patnitop just before sunset at 5:30pm. Again 13 hours 44 mins in total with a ride time of 12:48 hours. Again similar speed and similar fuel usage.
Very impressed by your off saddle break management.

When touring, its not your moving average that counts, but your total elapsed time between your start and getting out of your gear and bathed at the end.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 23:09   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot for sharing. These details are really helpful in a way to get inspired to travel more and more in a bike.
Meanwhile, could you please let me know how many breaks you had? This is just to understand the soreness for sitting longer time and the comfort of the seats.
I have a thunderbird with a well padded seats, but I am ain't able to do more than 1.5 hours continuously. I see one reason could be is i cramp myself for my height (178 cms) while I try to make myself comfortably sit. I do have a decent fitness level considering I tend to go for marathons atleast twice a year if not regularly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks