Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2021, 16:23   #1
BHPian

My Honda Activa got stolen in front of my house

Hi all, I have read several vehicle theft cases on this forum itself and never did I know that I'll be a victim to this one day. Never knew vehicle thefts are so rampant in Bangalore too :(

Yesterday(20 March), in the early hours my mom's Honda Activa had been stolen which was parked right in front of my house gate(Area: Horamavu) . Since the elevation difference is there between the road(it's actually a mud road) and my platform, we usually park the scooter and my 200NS outside. Unfortunately I don't have pictures of the scooter , I know the registration number though.

Scooter number KA 03 JK 8704, white Honda Activa. Identification marks: paint chip on the front mudguard and bent LHS mirror. If anyone comes across this vehicle, please ping me( I'm sure that there are less chances of getting my scooter back but in case by chance if anyone in Bangalore finds this vehicle, please inform me)

An attempt had happened on my 200NS 2 days prior to this theft.

Observe the image closely for a metal chip and oil leak. This was an attempt on my bike
My Honda Activa got stolen in front of my house-img_20210321_120739.jpg

Comprehensive Insurance is valid till May 2021 and I have complained to the cops but they haven't given an FIR copy to me which is mandatory for insurance claim and RC cancellation. I know my scooter might have been stripped apart in some part of Bangalore, so I'm having no hopes of getting it back. The only issue is the procedures involved and the slow pace of the government departments

I have already called up the insurance guys yesterday and they told Sir, it's a weekend and we'll get back to you on Monday

If anyone has faced such an issue please guide me on how to go about it. Thanks

Also, please let me know if there are good GPS trackers for My Ford EcoSport and Bajaj Pulsar 200NS

Last edited by Aditya : 21st March 2021 at 23:02. Reason: As requested
jithin23 is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 21st March 2021, 20:28   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: My Honda Activa got stolen in front of my house

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2021, 21:22   #3
BHPian

Feeling sorry for you. Activas are becoming easy target these days. Old Activa's handle lock is very easy to break.

My uncles old Activa was stolen during lockdown. It was parked right outside their house. He submitted following documents to claim the insurance.

1) FIR copy

2) Khatma ( Closure) report: This document is issued by court, based on investigation report filed by Police department. Police report should say that they tried to find the vehicle, but could not find it. In my uncle's case, khatma report was given to him by Police man himself as courts were non functional during lockdown. Police took 3+ months for this report.

3) Key: You will be asked to submit both the keys, else some amount will be deducted from the claim amount.

4) Original RC

5) Original insurance letter

6) Photocopy of Driving license

7)Theft details on Rs 100 stamp paper.

Insurance claim was then settled in around 5 months.
INJAXN is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 21st March 2021, 22:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

I don't have first hand experience that I am drafting here, but have seen this happening to my friend.

Procedure wise, it is the same as above post in Bangalore. But point 2 above will take easily 6 months in Bangalore. At any cost, don't show urgency with police to get this closure certificate. My friend lost his wife's Activa that was parked in RV Road metro station parking area. Police said they would search for 6 months and then issue closure certificate. My friend started following up showing urgency to get certificate within a month. He was prepared to bribe some amount as well to get the certificate quickly.

But, they started doubting him and started investigating him against the theft. He had to prove his innocence first and had to bribe them as well. They did not issue certificate even 1 day earlier. All he got by showing urgency was unnecessary humiliation of investigation and to come out of that, some amount as bribe.

Last edited by gkveda : 21st March 2021 at 23:03.
gkveda is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 21st March 2021, 23:27   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by INJAXN View Post
Feeling sorry for you. Activas are becoming easy target these days. Old Activa's handle lock is very easy to break.

My uncles old Activa was stolen during lockdown. It was parked right outside their house. He submitted following documents to claim the insurance.
Thanks INJAXN! These steps would do fine right? Also can this be done by our own in the RTO or do I need to hire an agent. Plus the vehicle is in my mom's name and she isn't in a good health condition to follow up with the cops, insurance and RTO. I'll be doing that on her behalf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
But, they started doubting him and started investigating him against the theft. He had to prove his innocence first and had to bribe them as well. They did not issue certificate even 1 day earlier. All he got by showing urgency was unnecessary humiliation of investigation and to come out of that, some amount as bribe.
What! Scooter got lost in public parking even after paying parking charge. Since it's a metro station, they could have traced the vehicle by checking CCTV footage. I used to frequent RV road for my embedded course classes and I always thought it was a posh area. However, even Tilak nagar is in the vicinity. It's sad that cops take innocent citizens like us for granted.

Yeah, I've seen this trend with cops over here and when we had been to the police station yesterday, they told a statement and on hearing that itself I know that my vehicle isn't going to be found( I can't share the statement what "they" told us, because it might become an issue later for me and I intend to stay clear from cops). My only concern is that the vehicle registration needs to be cancelled no matter what because if some anti-social element has the vehicle in their hands, God alone knows what they'll do with the scooter.

I'm planning to go for a pre owned scooter though( I just checked for a new Suzuki Access/ TVS Ntorq and Honda Activa and My God! The On road price is in 6 digits). I remember paying 63k for the white activa in 2017. I hope the cops do not do the same thing what happened to your friend. I'm sure even insurance amount will reach my hands after 4-6 months.

Last edited by Aditya : 22nd March 2021 at 18:46. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
jithin23 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 10:15   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jithin23 View Post
Hi all,

Yesterday(20 March), in the early hours my mom's Honda Activa had been stolen which was parked right in front of my house gate(Area: Horamavu) . Since the elevation difference is there between the road(it's actually a mud road) and my platform, we usually park the scooter and my 200NS outside. Unfortunately I don't have pictures of the scooter , I know the registration number though.
Sorry to hear about the theft of your mom's scooter. You will of course get the run around from all the rest of the people involved to make sure that you regret it. A colleague lost his brand new bike a couple of days after he bought it. He finally got some compensation from the insurance company.

I am sure you will get a reasonable amount for your lost scooter, please keep chasing the authorities and best wishes.

If you could document the process involved, it would be helpful for everyone in future.
mvadg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 11:09   #7
BHPian

Quote:
I have already called up the insurance guys yesterday and they told Sir, it's a weekend and we'll get back to you on Monday

If anyone has faced such an issue please guide me on how to go about it. Thanks

Also, please let me know if there are good GPS trackers for My Ford EcoSport and Bajaj Pulsar 200NS
Sorry to hear about your loss.

Hope you have a written record like an email communication with the insurance guys. I am not sure what being a weekend has to do with a 24/7 service like insurance claims.

For my bike I do have a generic gps based tracker that I don't think would do much good. We notice these thefts only after a few hours of then being committed. In that time any decent mechanic could have stripped the bike apart. Maybe in a car you could hide it better.

This is the one I use:
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01NCSBN6T/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_5ZFTCFKTY9M5Z0JV58EP.

P.S Don't believe in any of the 'Make in India' claims you might see on these products. They are all mass produced in China. They are also overpriced. I got mine from AliExpress 2 years back for half the price and free website/app access.
JithinR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 15:12   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Sorry to hear about the theft of your mom's scooter. You will of course get the run around from all the rest of the people involved to make sure that you regret it. A colleague lost his brand new bike a couple of days after he bought it. He finally got some compensation from the insurance company.

I am sure you will get a reasonable amount for your lost scooter, please keep chasing the authorities and best wishes.

If you could document the process involved, it would be helpful for everyone in future.
That's too sad, a brand new bike being stolen.
I'll update this thread once the insurance steps are complete

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
Sorry to hear about your loss.

Hope you have a written record like an email communication with the insurance guys. I am not sure what being a weekend has to do with a 24/7 service like insurance claims.

For my bike I do have a generic gps based tracker that I don't think would do much good. We notice these thefts only after a few hours of then being committed. In that time any decent mechanic could have stripped the bike apart. Maybe in a car you could hide it better.

This is the one I use:
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01NCSBN6T/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_5ZFTCFKTY9M5Z0JV58EP.

P.S Don't believe in any of the 'Make in India' claims you might see on these products. They are all mass produced in China. They are also overpriced. I got mine from AliExpress 2 years back for half the price and free website/app access.

Thanks for the concern Jithin! Since it's a theft case, I had to go in person for intimation too. The insurer is United India Insurance, purchased form policy bazaar. A lesson learnt is always buy insurance through the dealer or an agent so that they will do all the claims work for you and you need not go through the ordeal yourself. Never buy insurance online, use the online quote to price match with the agent or dealer.

This will help for new owners too so that they might not think that they have saved a few thousand bucks and purchased online. The online guys are there only till you buy the insurance from them, post that the onus is upon us no matter what happens.

Yeah, I'm also planning to install CCTV in my premises and the GPS will certainly help the car if not for the bike. I'll give this a look!
jithin23 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 20:37   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My only concern is that the vehicle registration needs to be cancelled no matter what because if some anti-social element has the vehicle in their hands, God alone knows what they'll do with the scooter
Please don't cancel the registration TILL YOU RECIEVE police closure certificate.

If in case your vehicle is found by police, and it's registration is cancelled by you already, then you may have to run around for re-registration OR police may not even handover the vehicle to you since you are not the current registered owner.

Even if your scooty gets involved in some antisocial activities after you register police complaint, you will not be questioned by police because you have evidence to show that you have lost the vehicle (police complaint acknowledgement)

So, don't worry about that scenario. But cancelling registration while police is still searching would be bigger risk

Last edited by gkveda : 22nd March 2021 at 20:45.
gkveda is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 20:54   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Please don't cancel the registration TILL YOU RECIEVE police closure certificate.

If in case your vehicle is found by police, and it's registration is cancelled by you already, then you may have to run around for re-registration OR police may not even handover the vehicle to you since you are not the current registered owner.

Even if your scooty gets involved in some antisocial activities after you register police complaint, you will not be questioned by police because you have evidence to show that you have lost the vehicle (police complaint acknowledgement)

So, don't worry about that scenario. But cancelling registration while police is still searching would be bigger risk
That's a point there. However as per law, we're supposed to inform RTO as well within 14 days from the day of theft. That's why I was concerned about the registration part.

The cops did not give me an acknowledgement either. Today I went to the insurance office and they told to get the FIR ASAP and the cops are telling statements like don't you trust us or what. I'll be going again to the police station tomorrow to request them to give the FIR

As you said they almost made me regret on why did I own a vehicle.
jithin23 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 22:40   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks INJAXN! These steps would do fine right? Also can this be done by our own in the RTO or do I need to hire an agent. Plus the vehicle is in my mom's name and she isn't in a good health condition to follow up with the cops, insurance and RTO. I'll be doing that on her behalf.
Yes, that should be fine. My uncle’s son did all the running for insurance claim.
You will just have to get your Mom’s signature wherever needed.
INJAXN is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2021, 09:15   #12
BHPian

Re: My Honda Activa got stolen in front of my house

Quote:
The cops did not give me an acknowledgement either. Today I went to the insurance office and they told to get the FIR ASAP and the cops are telling statements like don't you trust us or what. I'll be going again to the police station tomorrow to request them to give the FIR
Clearly tell them that FIR is needed for insurance process. Do the following.

1. BCP has a web page where you can share details of things lost. It’s online and hence no explicit police acknowledgement is needed.

2. Go to police station and ask to talk to the SI or CI , which ever the case may be.. insist on this. The Constables are uneducated and don’t know the proper procedure.

3. If none of the above works, write an email with all proofs to the local DCP. You need to find this information from either police station or through some local people. Write this from your mothers email I’d. For women, compliant through any medium including email needs to be followed through per Karnataka state police guidelines. I know this from personal experience.

4. Worst case , write your compliant on a piece of paper and send registered post with acknowledgement to SI, CI and DCP.

Once your complaint is registered, then you will be absolved of your responsibilities in case your vehicle is used for any anti social activities.

Getting insurance back is a tedious process, it took me 15 months when my bike was stolen back in 2011.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 28th March 2021 at 12:06. Reason: Fixed quotes.
charanreddy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th March 2021, 09:38   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charanreddy View Post
Clearly tell them that FIR is needed for insurance process. Do the following.

1. BCP has a web page where you can share details of things lost. It’s online and hence no explicit police acknowledgement is needed.

2. Go to police station and ask to talk to the SI or CI , which ever the case may be.. insist on this. The Constables are uneducated and don’t know the proper procedure.

3. If none of the above works, write an email with all proofs to the local DCP.

Once your complaint is registered, then you will be absolved of your responsibilities in case your vehicle is used for any anti social activities.

Getting insurance back is a tedious process, it took me 15 months when my bike was stolen back in 2011.
I did inform the police that FIR is mandatory for RTO and insurance and they said "don't you trust us" or they fabricate false cases on us. Luckily I got the FIR 2 days ago. If not I was about to follow the steps mentioned by you.

For the BCP lost article report, it is not valid for vehicles as I tried showing the same report to the insurance company and they told only FIR is supported in this case. The lost article report is useful for Phones and wallets

With respect to insurance, I know that they will take months or years to give that money and till a no trace report is obtained from the the court insurance won't take further steps.
jithin23 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th March 2021, 09:42   #14
BHPian

From personal experience, the local police station will not file an FIR and stall as much as possible as it impacts their closure rate. Instead I was advised to call 100 and report the theft, they will still direct you to the local police station but it's now official and they have to file it. If you go directly to the station you get weird responses ranging from, "Sir go search at all railway station and bus station parking .." (I always thought that was the role of the police) to "Wait for next month sir the bike might turn up, this month crime rate is already high and commissioner will shout at us".
deepfreak15 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th March 2021, 09:44   #15
BHPian

Quote:

For the BCP lost article report, it is not valid for vehicles as I tried showing the same report to the insurance company and they told only FIR is supported in this case. The lost article report is useful for Phones and wallets
Good to know that you got the FIR. The reason I suggested the online page is that you will have ‘some’ proof that you tried to contact the authorities, though it may not be valid for insurance purposes. Will come in handy in court if something untoward happens before you get FIR. General rule of thumb for online page is that you just informing the police of a theft and don’t expect any action from them.
charanreddy is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks