Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2021, 16:47   #31
BHPian

Re: Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by umohan98 View Post
Oh, I stand corrected. I belive Tatas and Konas and MGs use the CCS2.

Was doing some readup and found that Chetak has NO DC fast charging, and even TVS iQube has some proprietary port.

Isn't Hero lining up to use Ather's technology and port?

Will a EU like rule to make Type C ports mandatory be needed here to have a common standard?
As an EV owner I dont think having the same ports makes a difference. Most CCS2 chargers in India are 25kwh chargers at a minimum. I highly doubt that these smaller scooters with the puny 4kwh batteries will be able handle that kind of wattage or have the software/hardware to do the handshake.

The S1Pro has a range of 181km, a range not too many people will be able to extinguish in a day.

From my experience most EV owners charge at home, this would apply to a 2 wheeler as well that has a decent range such as Ola S1 pro. The charging infrastructure is not something to worry about much in the case scooters with over 150km range. The key would be to charge at home and office if needed.

Personally on my Nexon EV I use the external chargers very rarely, mostly when on outstation trip.
fuzzydealhunter is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 16:49   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Even Shumi and Singhee ran into overheating issues with the Hyper Mode, as mentioned in the Powerdrift and Zigwheels videos respectively. And with two different units as compared to ACI! Looks like the initial media batches were spared from the downpour and ran into overheating issues with Hyper mode instead.

A concern indeed - If it can't manage 25 degrees in Bangalore - what about peak summer in Delhi or Chennai?
If you notice the heating issues, The Etergo Appscooter was designed and marketed for a 240Km range at 20kmph and not as a Sprint King as what Ola is trying to do. They just closed out the swappable batteries by giving some lame reasoning of battery being heavy and the range being sufficient

Ola got overzealous and testing electric motor performance limits without testing it extensively and making changes accordingly. The range also was reduced because of enabling higher speeds.

They may give a software update to reduce the speed later and may also need extensive battery management research and fixes.

One question though. By any chance did you get any info about the original Dutch Etergo guys are still onboard and part of Ola and helping them out with the current issues and future products.

I have paid my remaining balance in spite of the minor issues with a hope that they will iron out with software updates. There are 1000s of crores being poured into this product and am sure they will not leave the customers high and dry.
muni is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 16:57   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by umohan98 View Post
Isn't Hero lining up to use Ather's technology and port?
They have confirmed...please check this post below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtkarshC View Post
Hero MotoCorp is going to use Ather Energy’s proprietary fast-charging connector technology. The two-wheeler giant is likely to implement this tech in its electric scooters, however, the company is yet to enter the E2W segment.

Ather Energy had made its fast-charging connector tech public in August 2021. Since then, the EV-maker has received interest from multiple players in the market. Hero MotoCorp has become the first major OEM to adopt this tech.

Quote:
Will a EU like rule to make Type C ports mandatory be needed here to have a common standard?
Finally that's what will happen I think. We have enough standard connectors for car but they are not suitable for 2-wheelers it seems. So once there are some mature design options, the market will end up with one common (and a special one for Apple) charger.
hemanth.anand is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 17:11   #34
BHPian

Quote:

Ergonomics and Comfort

Switchgear is unique with 5 buttons on either side. Clockwise from top-left: headlamp high beam ON/OFF, reverse assist, right indicator (with a press to cancel function), horn and left indicator (with a press to cancel function).
Kudos to you for the detailed compilation and exhaustive review. If I'm not mistaken the second button from the top-left is for Cruise Control and not for Reverse assist as you have mentioned. Correct me if I'm wrong

Last edited by srivatsahg : 15th November 2021 at 17:13. Reason: updated reasoning
Old 15th November 2021, 17:37   #35
Senior - BHPian

Looks to be a promising new scooter.
Every new product in its initial days will have teething problems, (ask our very own Tata & Mahindra)
It's how fast the engineers at the OEM understand those problems and then proactively goes about to solve them is the key issue.

OLA needs to reassure customers on the after sales service part. Everyone is not as tech savvy as Gen-Z or Gen-ZZ or whatever.
If OLA wishes to make a dent in the mindspace of the traditional, conservative scooter owner, especially in the Tier - 2 / Tier - 3 towns, it may think of setting up some brick-and-mortar sales & service touchpoints, at least in the district headquarters.

A large section of conservative Indians, particularly in rural U.P and most of Eastern India, (Western and Southern India are more tech savvy, maybe because of the high penetration of engineers and the "I.T. culture"), still like to "see" things "being repaired or worked upon", which apparently gives them a sense of reassurance.

In reality, if quality processes are followed right , because of fewer moving parts compared to an internal combustion scooter, electric scooters should have lesser problems.
OLA needs to ensure they incorporate and programme a very robust BMS,(Battery Management System) for their battery pack alongwith excellent thermal management.
Most issues arising in electric scooters in India can be traced back to an inadequate or improperly programmed BMS which do not live upto to its task in the harsh Indian operating conditions. BMS programming is a black art and in India we have a handful of people & even fewer companies indigenously doing it.

I'm sure in the days to come OLA will take all feedback to heart, will refine and set right all potential glitches and make their products a serious alternative to the traditional petrol driven two wheeler.
arjab is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 17:43   #36
BHPian

Quote:
If
Cutting the accelerator completely upon a slight touch of the brakes - was poor calibration indeed! I see even seasoned EV owners like Hemanth were surprised by this behaviour. Along with the freaky silence of an electric vehicle - I feel many ICE scooter owners will wonder if the scooter got switched off or something when it fails to respond with the hand lightly tapping the brakes - till they get used to the behaviour. My wife just couldn't accept the silence on the Ather in fact, and I expect her to freak out with this throttle behaviour.
This is what befuddled me on my second ever EV ride on a (point to point) rental Bounce last year. It was an Ampere. Had ridden one earlier that very morning and did not find the issue as the bike died before my destination and had to switch to another petrol one.

But this was in heavy (for those who know Banashankari / Kanakapura Road) traffic. Plus there was some play in the brake level and the bike wouldn't just move. It was only when I fiddled with the brake lever could I connect the behaviour! Crazy stuff in stop-go traffic, with impatient honkers behind me. Only later did I realise what was the issue and then proactively pushed out the brake to ensure I have torque.

On Bounce Electic rides later, have always kept that in mind and pushed out the brake levels to ensure I have the power!
Glifford is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 18:09   #37
BHPian

Looks like they hurried with the media test drives. Pretty much every [video] review is filled with what's not right/not working in the scooter from it's long list of features + issues related loss of power owing to over heated battery/motor. IMO they definitely should've waited for issues to be sorted rather than providing 'not ready yet' scooter for reviews.
somspaple is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 19:53   #38
BHPian

Thanks for the detailed review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somspaple View Post
Looks like they hurried with the media test drives. Pretty much every [video] review is filled with what's not right/not working in the scooter from it's long list of features + issues related loss of power owing to over heated battery/motor. IMO they definitely should've waited for issues to be sorted rather than providing 'not ready yet' scooter for reviews.
I am more than tempted in getting S1 pro. But mind says to wait at least till first couple of stabilization phases after watching these initial reviews.
Andaleeb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 20:06   #39
BHPian

I don't see any where any information on the replacement battery cost. Was the actual battery price mentioned in the media event. Can some one please shed some some light on this topic as i see none are talking about this important aspect. This will the most major expense on the scooter and it better be priced right or else makes no sense at all.
AnishRanjan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 20:06   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srivatsahg View Post
If I'm not mistaken the second button from the top-left is for Cruise Control and not for Reverse assist as you have mentioned. Correct me if I'm wrong
Currently it works only for Reverse Assist and also marked with "R" on the button. After coming to a complete standstill, hit the button to engage reverse and then twist the throttle the opposite way to start moving backwards at 2 km/h.

Cruise control is still in alpha testing phase and was not enabled on our scooters and also won't be available to customer scooters initially. Once enabled, this button could also be used for cruise control as the markings indicate - but currently we have no confirmation on how the logic is implemented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnishRanjan View Post
Was the actual battery price mentioned in the media event. Can some one please shed some some light on this topic as i see none are talking about this important aspect. This will the most major expense on the scooter and it better be priced right or else makes no sense at all.
I had asked this question, but did not receive a direct reply. Was informed that the battery is covered under warranty for the initial 3 years at the minimum. So customers don't need to worry, and they will work on declaring competitive rates once once the 3 year period approaches.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 15th November 2021 at 20:12.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 20:32   #41
BHPian

I had asked this question, but did not receive a direct reply. Was informed that the battery is covered under warranty for the initial 3 years at the minimum. So customers don't need to worry, and they will work on declaring competitive rates once once the 3 year period approaches.[/quote]

I really cant understand the logic of this company. It's a launch event and they don't even declare the price of the most important piece of kit which will eventually need replacement and lot of buyers will want to know that before they put their hard earned money on a EV. What are they trying to hide? High battery replacement cost? Only time will tell. And by the way which company says they will reveal the price of the battery eventually once the 3 year period approaches. Is this called professional, it all sounds very fishy to me and very unprofessional.

These guys have screwed up big time rushing things without a proper finished product or plan. The initial hype in now over and their brand image will take a beating reading all these reviews online about this half baked product.

Last edited by AnishRanjan : 15th November 2021 at 20:35.
AnishRanjan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 20:46   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srivatsahg View Post
If I'm not mistaken the second button from the top-left is for Cruise Control and not for Reverse assist as you have mentioned. Correct me if I'm wrong
Yes it is Cruise Control and is available only on the S1pro. The S1 doesn't get this along with voice assistance and Hill hold.

Quote:
Cruise control is still in alpha testing phase and was not enabled on our scooters and also won't be available to customer scooters initially. Once enabled, this button could also be used for cruise control as the markings indicate - but currently we have no confirmation on how the logic is implemented.
I asked this question and was told that cruise control can be activated above 25kmph only. It will be deactivated by the tap of a brake. Like cars there is no plus and minus but just activation and deactivation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnishRanjan View Post
I don't see any where any information on the replacement battery cost. Was the actual battery price mentioned in the media event. Can some one please shed some some light on this topic as i see none are talking about this important aspect. This will the most major expense on the scooter and it better be priced right or else makes no sense at all.
The battery prices are so dynamic these days and will only go down. For example if the battery pack costs 50k today...it will cost probably 30k 5years later. And it's not that after 3 years warranty it will die on you. It'll slowly reduce in range like our phone battery.

IMHO, We should be prepared for that expense 5 years down the line if we wish to continue using the vehicle but we shouldn't base our buyimg decision on that.
hemanth.anand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 20:57   #43
BHPian

The battery prices are so dynamic these days and will only go down. For example if the battery pack costs 50k today...it will cost probably 30k 5years later. And it's not that after 3 years warranty it will die on you. It'll slowly reduce in range like our phone battery.

IMHO, We should be prepared for that expense 5 years down the line if we wish to continue using the vehicle but we shouldn't base our buyimg decision on that.[/quote]

This is where I feel a lot of us are not well versed with reality and just go with the hype. We are not well read about the current market scenario. Please read this article, lithium prices have shot through the roof this year due to greater demand, less supply and other constraints.

https://m.economictimes.com/industry...w/87215939.cms

And also 50k is what you are guessing. We don't know the actual price and there is no guarantee lithium prices will go down and battery costs will reduce. With demand only projected to go up, there are only a few countries that produce lithium and they can form a cartel like OPEC and create a saga like what is happening with crude today. So therefore no point being overly too optimistic.

The 5 year battery life logic is based on what guarantee? It's all an unknown. For rich people it may not be an issue but for an average Indian family all of this will surely matter and influence their buying decision.

Last edited by AnishRanjan : 15th November 2021 at 21:00.
Old 15th November 2021, 21:31   #44
BHPian

Similar to the proverb "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride". There are so many things that can or could happen. If we go by that standard we could have a solar storm and have every electronic device wiped out on earth reverting us back to bullock carts (Using hyperboly here) .

Other manufacturers use the same line, case in point Ather:
https://forum.atherenergy.com/t/if-i...placement/5464

I would suggest patience as like you mentioned prices can go up and down, what is the point of them setting a price now knowing for at least 2 years no one would need a paid battery change. Ather scooters has the same number of bugs if not more when it came out. I don't think their product is that much worse than Ather's in comparison to what they have put out initially. It would come down how quickly they can follow up and fix the bugs. The users need to hold Ola accountable similar to how we hold out politicians accountable to their poll promises().
fuzzydealhunter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 21:37   #45
BHPian

Quote:
If it is implemented in the ideal fashion - this might just be a small matter of getting used to! With the phone, there is nothing you have to do other than to walk upto the scooter with the phone in the hand/pocket/bag. And without the phone, you hit a six digit number on the screen instead of taking the key out and turning it - prompted visibly on the screen when you hit the start button.
How does this code feature work? I mean is the vehicle always waiting for someone to press a button and show the screen to input the code? isnt this a nightmare scenario where when parked in market a child/adult can fiddle with the screen all day long? what if someone inputs wrong code several times and it just locks up?

I'm all for phone based unlock but not giving the key is stupid IMO.

I feel the vehicle is 6 months behind on its software. The motor fins are exposed to muck in rains unlike the competition.

Also are there any clear pictures of the standies on the stage? like the one below. The battery pack seems to be of plastic unlike aluminium in Ather.
Attached Thumbnails
Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review-untitled.png  

Last edited by rascalangel : 15th November 2021 at 21:58.
rascalangel is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks