Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2021, 12:15   #181
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
And what is typically done in servicing for an e-bike like an Ather?
This is one of the key advantages of EV over ICE. Ideally, there should be no servicing needed and service costs tend to 0.

Unlike 100s of moving parts in an ICE, it has only few componetns. Servicing should be just checking the battery and motor condition. The BLDC motors are what are used in the powersaver fans like Superfan. There is no need to service them.

How long before they give up the ghost and what happens then is an unknown. Can it be fixed? Are the components cheap? Or it needs to be fully replaced?
m8002? is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 15:07   #182
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Nope, it's pretty much an electric motor, so no pistons. (Your question made me realize that even though I'm supposed to be an electrical engineer by qualification, I have no idea what an e-bike motor looks like, so looked it up.)
Oh man.. I didn't quote the post above mine, and you mistook my query, just look up who posted me before and what they posted.

I own a Nexon EV and an Ather scooter. I bought it in Jan 2020, and covid hit, I am yet to cross 5k so haven't gone for first service and unlike ICE, there is no need to service at regular interval.
on Nexon EV, they changed trans axle oil on 2nd service and nothing other than that.
DarthVeda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 15:27   #183
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVeda View Post
Oh man.. I didn't quote the post above mine, and you mistook my query, just look up who posted me before and what they posted.
Haha, yeah, I see that now. Chal, anyway got to learn something because I misread your post!
Old 9th December 2021, 18:27   #184
BHPian

I think many people relate battery degradation to battery loss. Battery degradation doesn't mean battery will become unusable. It only means the range on a single charge reduce by some kms so it will need bit frequent charging from before.

Below is a video of 2 people who use Pure EV ePluto 7G Electric Scooters for food delivery services. One of them have driven the scooter for more than 40,000 kms and another one has driven for more than 30,000 kms. And still they have not faced battery degradation issue.

In fact MotorOctane has also reviewed this Scooter and confirmed this to be the best Electric Scooter in the affordable segment.

So my point is that there are Electric Scooter companies in India apart from Ather, Ola and TVS which are also coming up with new age electric scooters and you should definitely check out all the dealers in your area before making a decision.
souvikjana83 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 18:44   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Now that it is out, I really have real choice and we've hit a dead end! Considering all the points, one option I can think of is a pre-owned Ather 450 or Bajaj Chetak If I can get a good one. The search is on and till we find that, My dad has to ride the vespa and I've to continue listening to his complaints...
Have a look at Simple One: https://www.simpleenergy.in/
Old 9th December 2021, 19:54   #186
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw the above video in one of my whatsapp groups. I just can't imagine the nuisance and noise this will cause on our contry's roads which has amazingly responsible drivers/riders

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveenkkr View Post
Have a look at Simple One: https://www.simpleenergy.in/
Take a look at this
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post5138893 (Dubious claims of the Simple Energy One electric scooter | Might be based on an Ather (page 3))
hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 20:28   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post

Saw the above video in one of my whatsapp groups. I just can't imagine the nuisance and noise this will cause on our contry's roads which has amazingly responsible drivers/riders
College going Dio "rider" boys are going to lap up this scooter in no time I hope the volume is upto certain limit and not full blown speaker
Akshay6988 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th December 2021, 10:58   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIY410 View Post
Is that the reason you are not considering the iQube, yes it has a hub motor buts its a bosch made hub motor. But I read that iQube is better on bad roads.

I think you should just postpone your purchase and wait for the Hero motors EV or the improved IQube that is said to be launched in a few months time.

Who knows Ather may be forced to cut the price once there is more competition.
I am an iqube owner of 6 months and still struggling with many of its idiosyncrasies. While the motor and ride quality so far have no issues but the sensor and its software is all glitchy to say the least. The dashboard warnings come up for no reason and I have to visit the iqube service center all the time to recalibrate the throttle sensor. My advice is to take it easy with EVs as many of them are riddled with software bugs and we as early adopters are being treated as test dummies.
Also keeping 10 km as the charging "reserve", the range is around 60 km which is nothing great and range anxiety is all too real unless there are good charging facilities.

I am appalled with TVS for this but I am guessing other EVs are no better. Don't go by the subsidy trap- it is still expensive in terms of your precious time if you have to keep taking the vehicle to service station all the time. IMHO buy an EV two wheeler if your daily commute is 40 km or less and you are staying within 3-5km from your service center. Fancy features count for nothing if the vehicle fails its basic premise as a reliable transport.

Last edited by Aditya : 13th December 2021 at 06:03. Reason: Grammatical error
kingjulian is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 10th December 2021, 14:35   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjulian View Post
I am an iqube owner of 6 months and still struggling with many of its idiosyncrasies. While the motor and ride quality so far have no issues but the sensor and its software is all glitchy to say the least. The dashboard warnings come up for no reason and I have to visit the iqube service center all the time to recalibrate the throttle sensor. My advice is to take it easy with EVs as many of them are riddled with software bugs and we as early adopters are being treated as test dummies.
Also keeping 10 km as the charging "reserve" range is around 60 km which is nothing great and range anxiety is all too real unless there are good charging facilities.

I am appalled with TVS for this but I am guessing other EVs are no better. Don't go by the subsidy trap- it is still expensive in terms of your precious time if you have to keep taking the vehicle to service station all the time. IMHO buy an EV two wheeler if your daily commute is 40 km or less and you are staying within 3-5km from your service center. Fancy features count for nothing if the vehicle fails its basic premise as a reliable transport.
I think you just bought a compliance product which was made with sole purpose of greenwashing. TVS isn't a committed EV maker and they have their ICE investments at risk if EVs take off. If you buy EVs from dedicated EV manufacturers your experience will be vastly different.

If you have a commute of longer than 10 km and you can charge at home, you should definitely get an EV 2W. It'll pay for itself in couple of years. There is no contest.
sreeharipv is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th December 2021, 14:41   #190
BHPian

Got a call from Ola to confirm my order details today. I guess they are slowly starting to rev up to deliver the scooters.
fuzzydealhunter is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th December 2021, 15:17   #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreeharipv View Post
I think you just bought a compliance product which was made with sole purpose of greenwashing. TVS isn't a committed EV maker and they have their ICE investments at risk if EVs take off. If you buy EVs from dedicated EV manufacturers your experience will be vastly different.

If you have a commute of longer than 10 km and you can charge at home, you should definitely get an EV 2W. It'll pay for itself in couple of years. There is no contest.
That is very accurate. I have ather and have had almost no major issues. Plus the ride is just great. ICE manufacturers want to delay EVs as long as possible as they are highly invested in ecosystem.
Bhaveshmestry is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th December 2021, 15:25   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreeharipv View Post

Yes no doubt about that. TVS does not want it's EVs to cannibalize it's ICE line. The con seems to be overprice the scooter, point to fame2 subsidy so that customer feels good and charge additional for charging accessories (no pun intended).
I went with the hope that their service network and understanding of the two wheeler market will lead to an overall better product but sadly it isn't so.

Just want to know how do fellow BHPians feel about lack of branding and a local service network (Ola, Ather,etc) is not a major worry when it comes to purchasing a new two wheeler? Surely we have all seen bricked EVs being towed in the metros?
kingjulian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2021, 10:38   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post

Unlike 100s of moving parts in an ICE, it has only few componetns. Servicing should be just checking the battery and motor condition. The BLDC motors are what are used in the powersaver fans like Superfan. There is no need to service them.
While the moving parts in the power-train has come down, there are still things that need to be checked. The brakes pads have been one of the major expenses for Ather service and there are some videos on YouTube by Ather owners who claim that the brake pads are wearing out before 5000kms and the brake pad change is quite an expensive affair.
Other than brakes, the suspension components also need to be checked, while their duration would be longer.
Old 12th December 2021, 17:47   #194
BHPian

Got a sms as well as email from Ola today saying the scooter is getting ready to ship shortly. Looks like they are chugging along to meet the dec 15th to 30th deliveries.
fuzzydealhunter is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th December 2021, 14:39   #195
BHPian

Got a call explaining the home charger installation process before the scooter delivery. Looks like the first lot of delivery is on schedule this time.

Video link sent along with the email that read :
Your Ola scooter will be dispatched soon : https://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws....vent-Video.mp4

Last edited by Blackbolt : 13th December 2021 at 14:44.
Blackbolt is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed