Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2023, 16:58   #46
BHPian

Re: Ownership Review | KTM Adventure 250

Took delivery of my Adventure 250 on 25th evening. Have ridden it exactly 69kms till now, and waiting for the registration process to get completed. Some pictures:
Ownership Review | KTM Adventure 250-55dba37dec3d4c6789f73eec73eaafe3.jpeg

Ownership Review | KTM Adventure 250-9a9ba7a1b8644f7cb40a9375b49378b1.jpeg

Ownership Review | KTM Adventure 250-e886698324a0447090b930664526c577.jpeg

Ownership Review | KTM Adventure 250-369a08e881804d9b86a1bbae014ed1b0.jpeg

Ownership Review | KTM Adventure 250-017f9b23bbfd4f6cae49c12616e61b75.jpeg
boniver is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 20:50   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
Took delivery of my Adventure 250 on 25th evening.
Welcome to the rare KTM ADV 250 club!

Fun fact I had also taken delivery of my KTM ADV 250 on Jan 25 a year ago.
advstreak is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 21:50   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by advstreak View Post
Welcome to the rare KTM ADV 250 club!

Fun fact I had also taken delivery of my KTM ADV 250 on Jan 25 a year ago.
Thanks advstreak. Nice coincidence indeed!

As of now, the only gripe I have is the windshield (either the glass, or the black frame below it) is very buzzy. Have to get around to sticking double sided tapes on the offending edges, till I go for my first service.
Old 27th January 2023, 22:41   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks advstreak. Nice coincidence indeed!

As of now, the only gripe I have is the windshield (either the glass, or the black frame below it) is very buzzy.
Have you made sure the bolt holding it is properly tightened? The Allen key for that it also present in the tool kit that came with the bike.
Old 27th January 2023, 22:52   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Have you made sure the bolt holding it is properly tightened? The Allen key for that it also present in the tool kit that came with the bike.
Yes, I took it off and installed it again myself. Will have to look into what’s wrong when I get time over the next few days.

The KTM showroom seems to be deliberately delaying my registration because I didn’t purchase their super expensive insurance plan for the bike, so once that’s done I’ll be able to ride the bike more and pen down my observations!
boniver is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2023, 11:39   #51
Senior - BHPian

The Royal Brothers rental VSTROMs are an abused lot. My friend had taken one on rent while riding with our group and the wheels were bent, the suspension had issues etc. You may borrow from an owner or take test ride and confirm this behaviour plz? I was doing a constant 120 KMPH+ on the VSTROM 250 without any problem
Quote:
If the V-storm 250 had a slipper clutch I would have considered side/downgrading to it just for that smooth engine. But the V-storm chassis and suspension start really showing their basicness at triple-digit speeds. The V-storm seems a little willowy when compared to the KTM ADV 250 at highway speeds
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2023, 20:13   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Took delivery of my Adventure 250 on 25th evening.
Congrats on your new ride.. Wishing you a happy and safe miles ahead

Quote:
As of now, the only gripe I have is the windshield (either the glass, or the black frame below it) is very buzzy. Have to get around to sticking double sided tapes on the offending edges, till I go for my first service.
If you check above few comments, even I've mentioned it after a long ride.
The most common plastic of the ktm adv that rattles/buzzes is the boomerang shaped translucent black plastic on either side of the headlight.
It happened to me when decelerating using engine braking between 3-4k rpm especially on not so great roads. Next time when it buzzes, try holding that plastic and see if the buzzing stops. Also when parked, see if there's any play in the plastics.
I fixed it by using mseal in it's joint such that there's no movement at all(attached picture below. It's not visible to the eye unless you squat and poke your eyes inside like in a microscope)

Ownership Review | KTM Adventure 250-img_20230128_201150.jpg

Last edited by shravansp24 : 28th January 2023 at 20:14.
shravansp24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2023, 20:34   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shravansp24 View Post
I fixed it by using mseal in it's joint such that there's no movement at all(attached picture below. It's not visible to the eye unless you squat and poke your eyes inside like in a microscope)

Attachment 2411390
Can you share more pics of the area? I want to check if something else can be done to solve the issue.
Old 28th January 2023, 22:13   #54
BHPian

Quote:
It happened to me when decelerating using engine braking between 3-4k rpm especially on not so great roads.
Ok, even the same thing is happening on my bike too. Its not at all noticeable with the helmet maybe that's why I have observed it till now. But without the helmet its really hard to miss.

In my case, both the headlight mask right and the spoiler right seem to vibrate. I have put a DST on the edge for trial and it does seem to help. Let's see if other things can improve the problem apart from the m-seal solution.

Ownership Review | KTM Adventure 250-pxl_20230128_155754728.jpg

Ownership Review | KTM Adventure 250-1.png

Ownership Review | KTM Adventure 250-2.png
Old 29th January 2023, 11:33   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Ok, even the same thing is happening on my bike too. Its not at all noticeable with the helmet maybe that's why I have observed it till now. But without the helmet its really hard to miss.
For me, it's very much audible w/wo helmet

Quote:
Can you share more pics of the area? I want to check if something else can be done to solve the issue.
Here you go :

Quote:
Use the DST on the underside joint(attached pic below) such that it'll be hidden from the eyes
Ownership Review | KTM Adventure 250-img_20230129_114012.jpg
my thin 3m tape got over and it's out of stock in my nearby Hyundai SVC.. Once it's back in stock, will replace the mseal with the 3m dst

Last edited by shravansp24 : 29th January 2023 at 11:41.
Old 29th January 2023, 22:10   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Angle Adjustable Wind Deflector
This purchase was inspired by reading a couple of articles on windshield aerodynamics.
https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/3...#post-45763729

It was very wobbly when attached to the top of the Inscape Dreamz V4 windshield leading me to remove and attach it to the stock windscreen. I will keep on experimenting with various angles and jot down my observation in the follow-up posts.
So after experimenting on a couple of rides here are the observations:

Stock windshield in low position
Clean air flow on the helmet with some minor turbulence over shoulders at triple digit speeds.

Stock windshield in high position
Clean air flow on the helmet with some decent turbulence over shoulders at triple digit speeds. I would not prefer to ride this way.

Stock windshield+ V4 extension in low position
There is no wind pressure and wind noise till 100 kmph. After crossing that there is a decent amount of buffeting mainly from the sides on the helmet. Maybe drilling holes in the V4 Extension sides can help with that.

Stock windshield+ Wind Deflector in low position
The only angle that makes sense with the wind deflector is the almost flat one. Any other angle cause of lot of buffeting everywhere.
But when it is placed in this angle the airflow is clean everywhere. There is some wind pressure over the chest area but I think I prefer that over the turbulent flow.

Ownership Review | KTM Adventure 250-wd.jpg

As the mount is a little flimsy it shakes when go over a rough patch. So next step will be to make sheet metal brackets to hold it rigidly.

On that note that anybody know Carbon Racing People? The problem with windshield for ADV is that the mounting points shake around. I think we need to use brace rods to support the top position of the windshieds like it is done for dominor/interceptor etc. Although the space is tight it is enough for the rods to come straight up.

Ownership Review | KTM Adventure 250-support.jpg

Quote:
Use the DST on the underside joint(attached pic below) such that it'll be hidden from the eyes
Yeah, I did that but there was still some minor noise maybe because I was not able to fix it properly because of the lack of space due to aux lights. So as a stop-gap solution, I have stuffed a piece of EVA foam and that has solved the issue completely.

Ownership Review | KTM Adventure 250-3m-foam.jpg

Ownership Review | KTM Adventure 250-f2.jpg

I also noticed that the headlight mask part has a crack near the mounting point. This is not present in the left one. Is it the same case with you?

Ownership Review | KTM Adventure 250-crack.jpg

Also, I have noticed that a there is a little more wear on the right hand side in both tyres (notice the groove is almost gone on that side. It could be due the camber angle of Indian roads. https://www.cambriantyres.co.uk/moto...on-right-side/

I have done 16K Km till now. Have you observed the same in case you have done similar amount.

Ownership Review | KTM Adventure 250-front.jpg

Ownership Review | KTM Adventure 250-rear.jpg
advstreak is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2023, 15:36   #57
BHPian

Appreciate the conversation above regarding the buzzing sound. I took the bike out for around 50kms yesterday, and the buzz is very prominent between 3-4k RPM. Holding the part circled in the picture makes it go away. Due to the running in period, I'm mostly keeping the bike in that RPM range and it's irritating.

Ownership Review | KTM Adventure 250-whatsapp-image-20230131-12.54.52-pm.jpeg
boniver is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2023, 16:41   #58
BHPian

Quote:
the buzz is very prominent between 3-4k RPM. Holding the part circled in the picture makes it go away.
Yes, it is that boomerang shaped plastic.

Check with the svc once during your first service to see if the joint is broken. If it's not, follow my(post #55)/AdvStreak's above MSeal or double side tape solution

Quote:
I have done 16K Km till now. Have you observed the same in case you have done similar amount.
yes, mine too has a similar thread wear and it has done 15.2k kms. My motorcycle already pulls a bit to the right with my hands off the handlebar as I have mentioned in the original review. I have replaced the T stem, reinstalled the front forks and wheel, but it's still the same. So I have given up on it for now. The local mechanic said a tyre change should be the final point in troubleshooting

Last edited by shravansp24 : 31st January 2023 at 16:48.
Old 31st January 2023, 22:46   #59
BHPian

I have been reading the ktm adv 250 and the suzuki vstorm 250 threads for a while now. I am not able to decide between the two bikes.

Guys, help me out here.

I heard the suspension is stiff on both bikes? Which one is better ? I am on wrong side of 30s. I have no off road intentions .

I read vstorm 250s FE is better than ktm adv , true?

Vstorm 's initial cost seems lot lesser than ktm. How expensive is ktm service and maintenance compared to suzuki.

Bhpians - Sebring, advstreak, shravansp24 please share your advice, inputs here.
Old 31st January 2023, 23:31   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
I have been reading the ktm adv 250 and the suzuki vstorm 250 threads for a while now. I am not able to decide between the two bikes.

Guys, help me out here.

I heard the suspension is stiff on both bikes? Which one is better ? I am on wrong side of 30s. I have no off road intentions .

I read vstorm 250s FE is better than ktm adv , true?

Vstorm 's initial cost seems lot lesser than ktm. How expensive is ktm service and maintenance compared to suzuki.

Bhpians - Sebring, advstreak, shravansp24 please share your advice, inputs here.
Hi,

Suspension :

Regarding the suspension, from what I heard, V-Storm suspension is comparitively softer and shares much of it's components with the gixxer whereas the KTM has the underpinnings of a sports bike. So, it has a very stiff chassis and the suspension has a very harsh rebound. So, under 60kmph, it's very stiff and more or less similar to sporty motorcycles like the Duke/R15. Post that speed and corners is where the suspension shines (both on-road and gravel)

Suspension - Suzuki is softer than KTM

If the suspension is something that's high on your priority list, comfort if your age is a consideration and your majority of the riding is within city speeds, there are much better motorcycles than these 2.

Fuel Efficiency:

The city fuel efficiency of vstorm should be better as it has much better low-end power. KTM has no torque in the lower end and hence resulting in poorer FE due to the riding style that's needed. In highways though, both of them are more or less similar with the KTM being more spirited and powerful

My KTM gives a mileage of ~30kmpl in city and 34-38kmpl on the highways (riding between 85 and 100kmph)

City FE - Suzuki
Highway FE - similar with KTM having slight edge

Service Cost :

KTMs higher initial cost is justified for the more sophisticated engine and other hardware that went into it's making.

KTM service is quite a bit expensive. A basic paid service will set your back to atleast 2500-3000. Any additional servicing will add on to the bill. Also, the service interval is quite short at 4 months per service. Suzuki will be definitely cheaper to maintain especially considering its non-techy parts but the service network of Suzuki is quite poor compared to the KTM is what I heard.

And regarding my suggestion - I'm not sure with your requirements for me to suggest either of the motorcycles. Please state what exactly are you looking for in your next ride.
If city comfort, fuel efficiency and cost of maintenance are on your priority list, the KTM is definitely not the one to get

Do take a test ride of these motorcycles. It'll give you a clear picture of what they have to offer

Last edited by shravansp24 : 31st January 2023 at 23:36.
shravansp24 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks