Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2023, 09:25   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Resurrecting a Bullet Std 350 CI - Suggestions on the important work

masterChief007 mate its good to know that you are going the resurrection/restoring way for your beloved CI Bullet 350. Most of the owners these days have either sold or scrapped their Bullet altogether. The fact that you are restoring it implies that you love the motorcycle. Like others here have suggested to start with the basic stuff first and then moving to more complex stuff and lastly cosmetic.

I am from Bombay so cannot suggest you about any mechanics in Bangalore but I can see that many here have given you their suggestions. I would suggest first get the motorcycle in basic running condition and ride it for a few days to get a feel of it. Meanwhile get a list of parts to be procured by consulting your mechanic. Go for OEM genuine parts only.

As the one who restored my 96 CI 350 recently and resurrected my 69 CI 350 back in mid 2010's, let me tell you; the time, efforts, money, etc. are all totally well worth it.

P.S. I have no other motorcycles in my stable except RE's (3 out of 5 are CI Bullet 350's).
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 03:34   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterChief007 View Post
Hi Ron/MadMax, can you give the details of your mechanics? I had delivered my bike to the garage last week, but I am yet to get their final review of the work needed and the work order generated. Will mostly be visiting the garage for getting the work order next week.

It will be good to have alternatives in case there is some problem, Have to renew my registration soon so want to test ride it till then to make up my mind.
@masterChief007 - How is it progressing with the Bull resurrection ?

As requested, below is the details of my trusted mechanic -

Shop Name: Bengaluru Motorcycles
Owner Name: Mr. Sagar
Mobile: +91 9971692687
Address: #21, 3rd Cross Rd, Ramaiah Layout, Kammanahalli, Bengaluru, Karnataka - 560084
Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/aEri9ZdPR6vJgDN39

You can use my reference - "Sandeep - Kerala _ Bullet Electra 5s".

About Sagar & his team - They are passionate about their work. Sagar is someone who listens to your needs & does the work accordingly. You have a very rare option of being able to DIY with their guidance & tools to help you get sorted out, if you so wish. I have seen quite a few Bullets (old & new), Harleys, Scooters & some rare bikes been resurrected to life by them. Pick Up & Drop facility is also available.

Do let me know incase you are coming down to check out / enquire, as I would be around the shop area sometimes.
MaDMaX_MaXMaD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 20:02   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
Most of the owners these days have either sold or scrapped their Bullet altogether.

P.S. I have no other motorcycles in my stable except RE's (3 out of 5 are CI Bullet 350's).
Navin, I would be lying if I said the heretical idea of scrapping didn't come to my mind, but I just wanted to give it another chance wholeheartedly just because there is nothing that can replace the fun I had with it. I daresay RE has made some really good products of late that has quite a bit fan following across the globe, it is a proud moment as Indians

Down the line I may get an Interceptor. But for now I will be glad with the CI if restoration goes fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDMaX_MaXMaD View Post

Shop Name: Bengaluru Motorcycles
Owner Name: Mr. Sagar
Mobile: +91 9971692687
Address: #21, 3rd Cross Rd, Ramaiah Layout, Kammanahalli, Bengaluru, Karnataka - 560084
Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/aEri9ZdPR6vJgDN39

Do let me know incase you are coming down to check out / enquire, as I would be around the shop area sometimes.
Thanks for the reference, I will definitely check them out. As for the restoration progress, the bike is still with the garage and I haven't got any concrete communication of their analysis, or work related updates. It's been a week. I guess I will have to drop down there and check what is the status. If by Monday, I don't see things moving forward I will mostly decide to take the bike to a different garage.
Old 26th January 2023, 12:24   #34
BHPian

So I visited the workshop and had a discussion with them, apart from regular replacements of old wirings, rubber parts etc, they suggested to undergo the following, which I think are unnecessary at this point of time:

1. engine overhaul -> is it really needed at just 25k ?
2. head lathing work -> again I have doubts on this work too
3. use a engine reconstruction kit (new cyclinder/piston set etc) -> definitely a no from my side, as the rebore was done at 12k and I don't see any smoke/ compression issue through exhaust etc
4. replace the carbeurettor -> cleaning job should fix this, no need for replacement

I did agree to the following though:
1. replace the clutch plates and assembly -> extremely irritating shifts and slippages
2. gasket and engine packing replacement -> there was some signs of oil leakage
3. chain and sprocket replacement -> total rust bucket and chain slacking observed
4. tank related work -> this i forgot to suggest them.

I will visit them again soon to give them the go ahead. They started the bull and heard it after 4-5 years. The engine was noisy (tappet noise as well as some noise around the head) -> this prompted them to suggest engine overhaul and lathing work. I am not convinced though.

They also had a fully restored cast iron which was butter smooth sweet sounding and slick shifting machine

Please give me inputs if the engine overhaul, lathing is a good idea? I don't think so based on my observations with the bike.
Old 9th February 2023, 19:56   #35

With regard to the engine overhaul & lathing - I would suggest you to take a second opinion from another mechanic as well, before you put in the bucks for it.

Carburetor does not go bad easily unless it has been messed / worked upon with multiple times Or a manufacturing issue (very rare). As mentioned by you - Cleaning job should fix it.

The work you have agreed with to be done are very much required.
MaDMaX_MaXMaD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2023, 21:29   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDMaX_MaXMaD View Post
Most of the work is completed now, I have been given an ETA for a week or so. Will visit them again before that. Did go ahead with the engine overhaul, valve seating and lathing.

Also have to replace the tires after I receive the bike. And have to go for registration renewal post that.

Will use it for office and jogging commute for the first 2 weeks, Hopefully in March I may start some smallish rides of 100 kms or so (starting with a coffee ride to the airport, idly ride to Murugan Idly )

Plan is to stay within reach of getting it dragged back home in case it's giving up on me again.
Old 26th February 2023, 09:47   #37
BHPian

The work is almost complete, engine sound is sweet now, only seeming issue might be the point setting as while starting I felt it was back-kicking but not sure. Some electric work is pending. I am restless to take it out for a spin ! So hopefully next weekend I will post some snaps here after delivery.

Will have to get some new tyres fitted (going to retain the stock 3.25X19 profile front and back), please suggest if Michelin Sirac Street will be a good option? Otherwise what should I opt for (not over costly options as I want to keep the budget near about 5k).
Old 4th March 2023, 10:44   #38
BHPian

She run so fine, her song is divine ...

Got my steed back, the job was done excellently barring a little oil leak. Will keep an eye on it. Gear shifts are smooth and not rattling sounds after the valve work etc.

Took it for a run today ~50km within city mostly at 50-60kph and just opened up a little to 70kph in some stretch. Tomorrow will do a smallish highway trip ~100 km nearby. I do feel a little steering wobble at higher speeds. Will check this issue in tomorrows ride.

Next week planning to do a bit outskirts ride (depending on the performance tomorrow).

I have to get some riding gears today gloves (must) and pants (mostly as I already have the knee guard, but would prefer the pants due to better protection). Enjoy the beauty.

Resurrecting a Bullet Std 350 CI - Suggestions on the important work-img_20230303_204614422_hdr.jpg
Resurrecting a Bullet Std 350 CI - Suggestions on the important work-img_20230304_064525881.jpg
Resurrecting a Bullet Std 350 CI - Suggestions on the important work-img_20230304_082019012_hdr.jpg
Resurrecting a Bullet Std 350 CI - Suggestions on the important work-img_20230304_091634217_hdr.jpg
masterChief007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 09:38   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Will have to get some new tyres fitted (going to retain the stock 3.25X19 profile front and back), please suggest if Michelin Sirac Street will be a good option? Otherwise what should I opt for (not over costly options as I want to keep the budget near about 5k).
For the front tyre, you can stick to the MRF rib tyre or Michellin and for the rear I would suggest Apollo Actigrip R1 in 3.50 as the 3.35 is just too thin for this bike and will keep locking up the wheel on hard braking.
I have the Michellin on my bike and didn't feel much of a difference compared to the MRF RIB tyre.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 18:07   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
For the front tyre, you can stick to the MRF rib tyre or Michellin and for the rear I would suggest Apollo Actigrip R1 in 3.50 as the 3.35 is just too thin for this bike and will keep locking up the wheel on hard braking.
I have the Michellin on my bike and didn't feel much of a difference compared to the MRF RIB tyre.
Yes I too was contemplating to move to a fatter tyre for the rear, only worry was that if it will hit the mudguard on heavy loads/touring luggage. (as the height will increase by 0.25 inches from axle to mudguard). I will however change from the RIB to more allround pattern so will go for the Michelins. While cornering I cant currently rely on the tyres as I always feel it giving way (tyres are now 15 years old so thats expected I guess).

I had to already start tinkering with the clutch cable little joys of owning this !!
Old 6th March 2023, 18:57   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes I too was contemplating to move to a fatter tyre for the rear, only worry was that if it will hit the mudguard on heavy loads/touring luggage. (as the height will increase by 0.25 inches from axle to mudguard). I will however change from the RIB to more allround pattern so will go for the Michelins. While cornering I cant currently rely on the tyres as I always feel it giving way (tyres are now 15 years old so thats expected I guess).

I had to already start tinkering with the clutch cable little joys of owning this !!
I don't think it will. The same type mudguard was what came with the 5 speed AVL engined Machismo back in early 2000 and that came with a 3.50 size rear tyre. I am not sure why RE decided to go for a 3.25 on the STD 350 and Electra. I changed the rear tyre at the showroom to 3.50 before I rode it out. Mine is a 2002 Electra.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 20:05   #42
BHPian

Quote:
You should consider changing the clutch pack from stock 4 to a 5. I have that on my CI and what a difference. No more clutch slippage on hard pulls and that too with a smaller final drive sprocket.
Old 7th March 2023, 11:03   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
You should consider changing the clutch pack from stock 4 to a 5.
I had asked if I should make it 5 plates but they said since its a 4 speed so not required. Anyways if there is problem in future will explore this.

One thing was that they over tightened the cable so that there was no free play. I have resolved it with 1 mm free play, but due to this the shifts are not as smooth anymore, but not too much troublesome. Will tighten it a bit more retaining some amount of free play. I find it easier to play with the clutch adjuster screw inside the gear case than to adjust from the midway adjuster (I can't make out any difference whatever I do from there )
Old 11th March 2023, 22:33   #44
BHPian

Finally headed out on the highway on the beauty. Did a solo 180 km roundtrip BLR-Mulbagal-BLR (Ok I admit that I had decided to do a 100km round trip while in the trial phase after the restore, but just couldn't resist !!). This boosts confidence on the machine that at a slower pace she will do the distance. So will get her new shoes next week Michelin Siracs 3.25 X 19 in front and 3.5 X 19 rear.

Started off at ~5.30 am and with ample stops here and there returned home by 10 am. This was my first highway ride after the engine seizure incident in 2014. So intentionally I kept the bike @70-75 kph so not to get it a heart attack after so many years. Near Mulbagal I took a random left through some village roads which spit me out on the highway again after 10-15 kms.

Just before Mulbagal I encountered dense fog with mist forming and a faulty speedometer the needle getting stuck at a fixed value even when engine is off or speed is higher than what is indicated (the odometer was working fine though, suspecting issue with the magnet/electrical component of the speedometer due to encountering wet mist?). Due to this I just made a U turn as I suspected some sort of electrical issues, and didnt want to take risk in dense fog with electrical issues.

Notable observations:
- Bike engine is stable at 70-75 kmph, at 80 kmph it is not giving much confidence (maybe psychological due to the history of engine siezure), either way I dont need that extra 10 kmph for now. So will jhave to wait for longer rides ~500 km till I plan my second bike (KTM 390 Adv/Himalayan 450/Interceptor 650), the CI is good to do 350 - 400 km trips for now
- Rynox gears are excellent, tested the storm evo 3 gloves and the advento pants (only grouch with the pants is that my knee will get bruised in longer ride days)
- Neck pain mostly due to the lack of riding longer, also as my excercise routine is suffering due to some issues in my feet so basically a wake up call for restarting at least non running excercises.
- Stopping for food needs to be planned with visibility (not an issue with cars). Carried all tools and puncture repair kit, tyre irons, air pump etc, so taking a break where I can't see the bike was not possible so skipped any breakfast. Didn't want to overload on sugar in CCD outlets today.
- Stuck to the left lane in contrast to middle/right lane driving when in car. This was a new realization as previously I didn't drive when I used to ride. This was an interesting observation as I was rarely irritated by any trucks (all were in right lane), but yes had to put constant vigil for fast cars in the left, role reversal of sorts.

Enough talk now the pics Btw I really like the cockpit view in my photos so pardon me for that.

Resurrecting a Bullet Std 350 CI - Suggestions on the important work-img_20230311_054115130_hdr.jpg
Resurrecting a Bullet Std 350 CI - Suggestions on the important work-img_20230311_064747653_hdr.jpg
Resurrecting a Bullet Std 350 CI - Suggestions on the important work-img_20230311_064841459_hdr.jpg
Resurrecting a Bullet Std 350 CI - Suggestions on the important work-img_20230311_064851377_hdr.jpg
Resurrecting a Bullet Std 350 CI - Suggestions on the important work-img_20230311_075940119_hdr.jpg
masterChief007 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th March 2023, 14:15   #45
Senior - BHPian

70-75 kmph is a good speed for the 350CI engine. You get good fuel efficiency, the engine is not being stressed and won't overheat.
If you do 80 and above for long durations, there are chances or partial seizure on a bike that is run a lot.
My cruising speed or sweet spot on my 350 Electra is 70 kmph and on my 500CI was 80-85 kmph. Felt good and it could run all day at those speeds.
The speedo issue mostly will be due to the wheel speedo hub being worn.
tharian is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks