Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2024, 15:47   #361
BHPian

Re: Harley-Davidson X440 Review

I use an iphone and For me HD connect has run into issues even before setup. I keep getting Mobile number not registered message. Dealer his trying his bit but clueless, HD customer support on phone was of no help saying check with dealer. Shot off an email to HD support, got a call in under 3 hours promising they will look into the issue…. still waiting.
Attached Thumbnails
Harley-Davidson X440 Review-img_9664.jpeg  

Old 23rd February 2024, 23:51   #362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDx440Life View Post
Do you have a iPhone? I've heard some people getting issues with Apple devices; however, the bike software update seems to fix the issue.
Nope. I have an android phone. Will try with my wife's iPhone tomorrow.
Old 26th February 2024, 12:37   #363
BHPian

Inspite of staying in Magarpatta, somehow never got a chance of test riding the X440. "2 Rivers" is the only Harley showroom in Pune, situated in Amanora Mall, Magarpatta.

Today decided to check out and ride the bike to see if can be a replacement of my aging R15 ( 11 yrs). So below are some of my observations/opinions after checking out and test riding the bike.

1. The bike looks much better in person. Oodles of road presence but certainly not a beautiful bike. Maybe with time the looks may grow on me.
2. Upright stance, seat is soft with good cushioning.
3. Switchgear felt premium. The horn sound was pathetic. My fascino has better horn.
4.Bike feels heavy at low speeds, not sure if this is a good city bike. But at high speeds you don't feel the 190 kgs. I am sure this bike will shine on highways for touring.
6. Engine is the best part. Strong bottom and mid range.3 gears were enough for me to enjoy the bike. The thump too is sweet and adds to the character.
7. Not the best gearbox, felt notchy, clutch too was a bit heavy.
8. No complaints with brakes and the suspension.
9. The display is clear but should have been bigger. Not a deal breaker for sure.
10.Showroom experience was average. Maybe I expected more considering Harley as a premium brand. No feedback asked after the test ride nor did they handover the quotation, I had to ask for the quotation.

With the recent launch of Maverick, the top variant of the x440 at 3.55 feels a bit overpriced. I have a feeling Maverick will sell in good numbers, as people who are not willing to pay that much will walk into the Hero showroom after test riding the X440.
Attached Thumbnails
Harley-Davidson X440 Review-img_20240225_163420.jpg  

Harley-Davidson X440 Review-img_20240225_162321.jpg  

RD150 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th February 2024, 10:46   #364
BHPian

Finally managed to get around this issue yesterday evening. A good 15 minute was what all it took. Turns out the hero dealer had not entered the mobile and vehicle registration number in their DMS (assuming its Dealer management system...) No idea how they missed this out (mine was through company, so suspecting some missed steps on part of Hero dealership team).

Frankly the buying experience at these dealership is okayish, but thats a tradeoff between having to wait months at Tusker and almost instant delivery here.

For me the instant delivery was a big win, I was able to get the bike within 2 days of booking. Many people have waited for months and then transferred from Tusker to these dealership as there is quota earmarked to these dealers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranxter View Post
I use an iphone and For me HD connect has run into issues even before setup. I keep getting Mobile number not registered message. Dealer his trying his bit but clueless, HD customer support on phone was of no help saying check with dealer. Shot off an email to HD support, got a call in under 3 hours promising they will look into the issue…. still waiting.
Old 7th March 2024, 07:26   #365
BHPian

Got the first service done yesterday at Tusker Bangalore.Opted for a weekday due to low rush , bike was serviced within 3 hours total cost Rs2925. Enquired for availability of backrest , but still no news as to when the rest of the accessories would come in.
Dushie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2024, 20:51   #366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD150 View Post
… to see if can be a replacement of my aging R15 ( 11 yrs).
I dont think there is any motorcycle in the market(in the same segment) which can replace R15. If you want a replacement, consider R15 V4 and if you are looking for an upgrade, test ride a R3.
Old 8th March 2024, 21:04   #367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetaWatt View Post
I dont think there is any motorcycle in the market(in the same segment) which can replace R15. If you want a replacement, consider R15 V4 and if you are looking for an upgrade, test ride a R3.
Yes, in same segment probably no other bike. But I think it's not necessary that replacement of a bike should belong to same segment or style. By that logic, an activa user should stick to Activas and a Splendour user should only buy Super Splendour.
RD150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2024, 10:57   #368
BHPian

Folks, pls can someone let me know when the first service is scheduled? The manual says First 60 days or 500-750 kms. I am seeing the reminder on the console / app that its in coming week and its going to be just 30 days and I have driven only 400 kms.
Old 18th March 2024, 21:13   #369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranxter View Post
Folks, pls can someone let me know when the first service is scheduled? The manual says First 60 days or 500-750 kms. I am seeing the reminder on the console / app that its in coming week and its going to be just 30 days and I have driven only 400 kms.
I was also getting reminders , but got my bike serviced post it crossed 750 kms. It took me 2 months to get the first service done.
Dushie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2024, 01:44   #370
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (10)

Did anyone bought the seat back rest?
Old 29th March 2024, 13:14   #371

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumosari View Post
Did anyone bought the seat back rest?
As it was much delayed, I recently bought an aftermarket one. Saw this video few days ago, not sure if its really OEM one though shot at some hero showroom. Someone in comment indicated this is also aftermarket.

If someone can confirm if above is OEM one or has more info on OEM backrest availability and pricing, please share.
Old 4th April 2024, 00:19   #372

Overall Experience- 2000km

It's been more than 3 months and 2000km, I took the delivery of the x440s. I am fairly in a better position to word my overall experience and thought of sharing with all BHPians.
  • Engine & Thermals: Both the engine and thermals behave the way you ride the bike. My commute on weekdays is mostly to office in peak Bengaluru traffic around noon. The engine feels more refined post the oil change in 1st service and the gear-shifting is now smooth. Initially, I was unable to find the neutral and now it's just a quick click. The low end torque is ample to drive you through the city without frequently changing between (1-2-3). However, with the temperature touching 37-38C, you will feel the heat in traffic on your legs. One Saturday afternoon, I was riding within city limits for long (around 2-3 hrs) in shorts and the heat was horrible. The engine and silencer was literally suggesting me to wear Denim/Shoes, if I want to ride in Bangalore dry heat this summer . Clutch is now smooth and always a two-finger operation. It feels good to lead immediately after the signal turns green, that's the level of torque it delivers. Now, the story is quite different in my weekend highway rides. The engine is quite calm with the 5th/6th gear at around 3000-4000 rpm. The calmness continues till 5500 rpm may be. Vibrations post 5500 rpm can be felt on mirrors, legs and handlebars to some extent. But who cares, you will be riding at 115 kmph before the vibration starts. I will never recommend touching those 120+ on Indian highways. Who knows when the stylish-auto sir, my bullock-cart bro, that smiling-uncle or some fast-furious tommy appears out of nowhere. The thermals are pretty well managed, when you are on highway at any speed. I never felt the heat on highways. The torque & power distribution is very well managed across the revv range.

One thing I would like to highlight on the cold-start of the engine and my experience/learning. I was getting unexpected engine cut-offs during my ride just after 30-45 seconds of the 1st start in the morning. I reported the issue to service executive and they have suggested to keep the bike idle for a minute before 1st ride of the day. And this trick seems working for me.

How can an Indian rider discuss about the engine, without discussing on Mileage? The mileage is in-sync with what was committed by the manufacturer. Bengaluru city ride in 1st, 2nd & 3rd gear with frequent operation of the clutch gave around 25 kmpl. The mixed city+highway ride returned around 32 kmpl. The highway-only rides with rpm maintained around 3000-3500 rpm returned around 37 kmpl and high revv highway rides returned around 33-34 kmpl. All mileage figures mentioned, are the figures from display console. The display console has error around ~0.5 kmpl from tank to talk method. The mileage error in display console is more, if you are taking more short trips (2-3 km trips). I observed that the mileage figures were much better after the 1st service.
  • Suspension & Comfort: Wow- that's the one word answer. I loved the suspension setup and riding posture. The rear suspension is an adjustable one and was preset in step-2. I felt that too soft for my weight. The Headlight Dipper felt like the Upper with my pillion. Adjusted it to step-3 and it feels nice now. The front suspension is soft and travel could have been better for a bike of this weight (with a heavy rider as well). The suspension manages small potholes and speed breakers really well. I can easily ride over the regular speed breakers on 3rd gear. However, the story is quite different for large speed breakers or potholes at moderate speeds (30 kmph). I felt, the front suspension travel getting bottomed-out multiple times in moderate speeds. Better to reduce the speed and use 2nd gear for better ride quality. The straight posture is awesome for long rides. No pain on wrist, back or legs at all. However due to the straight posture, the wind-blast was horrible at higher speeds during highway rides. Installed a taller after-market windshield and the issue is resolved. Installed the OEM touring seat and it feels so good, specifically for long rides. Feels much more comfortable for rider and pillion both, than the preinstalled one. I would recommend everyone to switch to OEM touring seat and feel the difference. The thump is prominent, while accelerating. It gives a pleasant and calm feeling while cruising at 80-110 kmph in highways. The backrest is a necessity for pillion and I don't know why Hero-Harley has not yet come up with any accessory. Got one after-market and it's working fine for me. The OEM horn was the worst part of the bike. I felt, the exhaust sound is louder than the horn. I can recall the Hero-Honda CD100 horn was far better than this. Again, installed the Roots Smartone -dual horn and now it gives a big bike feel. The weight distribution is well managed and manoeuvring is okay for the size & weight of the bike. The display is small but crisp. Provides all relevant information and can be read easily in midday as well. Tyres have good grip on normal roads and I am yet to test the rainy season performance. The front brake has nice bite, but the rear one is weak. I always apply both the brakes simultaneously and experienced the emergency braking too, which works well.
  • Build Quality: The build quality of x440 feels sturdy and reliable. Most of the parts are made up of metal, which makes it heavier. The machine-cut alloy wheels look premium. Paint quality is good. I have read a lot of negative reviews for the initial lot of x440. However, I don't find any major flows in my bike. The position of the throttle wire and clutch wire could have been better. The headlamp is powerful and gives good visibility at night. The all LED setup is a bonus.

I would like to highlight the issue, I faced for my fall-detection sensor. Somehow, I got a faulty fall-detection sensor on my bike. I was commuting to my office and suddenly the bike engine was cut-off. I rested it for few minutes and somehow managed to get the ignition. But it hardly lasted for 1-2 minutes and again was cut-off. I was worried as I was getting frequent calls from my emergency contacts. Later, I realised that the app triggered the fall-detection and accident alert to my emergency contacts multiple times. I called the service centre and they suggested to tow the bike to their centre. I was really worried and never expected, that I would have to tow a brand new Harley bike to service centre. My office was just 500m away and I preferred to push and park the bike there. Next day when I started the bike, it was all well. But I preferred to drive it to service centre and get it checked. The executive checked the bike and informed that the fall-detection sensor was faulty and have to replace it. It was sending misleading signal to ECU that the bike has fallen and that's the reason, it was not allowing the bike to start for safety reasons. The sensor was not available with the service centre and it may take 7 days to get it from factory. They suggested to leave the bike in the centre. I was not convinced and suggested for alternatives. I asked them to disconnect the sensor and try to start the bike. Hola! It started and ignition was stable. That day I realised, too much technology is not good . I came back home with my bike (without the fall-detection sensor). After 7 days, I called the spares executive and he asked me to come to the service centre to get the sensor replaced. It was claimed under warranty (1 year).

I am attaching few pics before and after installation of some after-market accessories and the day, I faced the sensor issue.

I covered multiple trips in and around Bengaluru and enjoying the rides with my x440. Will keep sharing my experience.
Attached Thumbnails
Harley-Davidson X440 Review-img_9319.jpg  

Harley-Davidson X440 Review-img_9464.jpg  

Harley-Davidson X440 Review-img_9429.jpg  

CoreDeduction is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th April 2024, 12:11   #373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreDeduction View Post
Overall Experience- 2000km

It's been more than 3 months and 2000km, I took the delivery of the x440s. I am fairly in a better position to word my overall experience and thought of sharing with all BHPians.
Thanks for sharing your experience corededuction.
I have ridden my bike for 500kms so far and it’s due for its first service. I am from Bangalore too and agree with your observations. It’s a delight to ride in city and torque feel is amazing. The front suspension does bottom out and it appears this hasn’t been improved in 2024 units.
I am yet to test its refinement on speeds above 100 and only then can comment on vibrations.

Also glad that your faulty sensor has been replaced in a weeks time. That says something about the after sale experience and should give some confidence to the potential buyers.
May I check where did you get the windshield from? Is the quality and the fitment good?
Thmh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2024, 22:20   #374

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thmh View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience corededuction.
I have ridden my bike for 500kms so far and it’s due for its first service. I am from Bangalore too and agree with your observations. It’s a delight to ride in city and torque feel is amazing. The front suspension does bottom out and it appears this hasn’t been improved in 2024 units.
I am yet to test its refinement on speeds above 100 and only then can comment on vibrations.

Also glad that your faulty sensor has been replaced in a weeks time. That says something about the after sale experience and should give some confidence to the potential buyers.
May I check where did you get the windshield from? Is the quality and the fitment good?
Thanks! The service is okay with Tusker Harley but better with Hero Premia- M/S RT Krishna Auto. I have plans to got for the 5k service with Premia showroom.

And on your query for the accessories- I got it from "Favourite Car and Bike Accessories- JC Road" after getting details from this Forum. You will get all car and bike accessories around that area.
CoreDeduction is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2024, 23:10   #375

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDx440Life View Post
Do you have a iPhone? I've heard some people getting issues with Apple devices; however, the bike software update seems to fix the issue.
For last couple of weeks i have been facing connection issue mostly with navigation feature. While navigation is in progress, console often disconnects from phone and i see msg "Start Nav from phone" msg on console. Sometime it connects back, but mostly it does not. Many a times, app says its connected to bike but battery/signal strength does not show up on console so not sure if its really connected or not.

Also sometime when navigation does work, i see updates on console lag behind app navigation updates by some 20-30 sec. For example, the next instruction on console was spoken by app many seconds ago, and even after i have taken a turn the console indicates take turn after xx m.

I was not facing such issues initially. Anyone else facing this? Any suggestion for fix for this. I am using iphone. Background refresh is enabled and "location always" is set. Reinstalling HD connect app or phone restart etc dint help.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks