Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2023, 23:04   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2024 KTM Duke 390 Review

A good friend of mine recently picked up an Atlantic Blue Duke 390. Before this he owned a first gen Duke 200 and a second Gen Duke 390. Hes clocked some serious miles on both motorcycles. I think its safe to say that he loves his KTMs!

Having completed a few hundred kilometers on the new Duke 390, his initial feedback is that it feels a lot like the first Gen 390, in terms of that raw, excited feeling. There is no more of that neutered un-KTM like sensation that the previous Gen 390 was blessed with.

However, being a KTM, there are bound to be some early gremlins. The quickshifter on his motorcycle isnt working. On the other, as yet undelivered Atlantic Blue Duke 390 in the showroom, the quickshifter isnt working, as well. However, all the Electronic Orange units in the showroom have fully functional quickshifters. Go figure!
neil.jericho is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st November 2023, 10:07   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
A good friend of mine recently picked up an Atlantic Blue Duke 390. Before this he owned a first gen Duke 200 and a second Gen Duke 390. Hes clocked some serious miles on both motorcycles. I think its safe to say that he loves his KTMs!

Having completed a few hundred kilometers on the new Duke 390, his initial feedback is that it feels a lot like the first Gen 390, in terms of that raw, excited feeling. There is no more of that neutered un-KTM like sensation that the previous Gen 390 was blessed with.

However, being a KTM, there are bound to be some early gremlins. The quickshifter on his motorcycle isnt working. On the other, as yet undelivered Atlantic Blue Duke 390 in the showroom, the quickshifter isnt working, as well. However, all the Electronic Orange units in the showroom have fully functional quickshifters. Go figure!
Here are a couple of images that highlight the issue. The first image shows the screen of the new Atlantic Blue motorcycle. The second image shows the layout that should be displayed. You will notice that KTM hadnt enabled the Quickshifter+ setting on my friend's motorcycle before it was delivered

2024 KTM Duke 390 Review-whatsapp-image-20231101-9.39.37-am.jpeg

2024 KTM Duke 390 Review-whatsapp-image-20231101-9.41.00-am.jpeg
Old 2nd November 2023, 14:18   #48

Quote:
Even the quickshifter on my Atlantic Blue Gen-3 seems to have a mind of its own. I’ve had multiple instances where it just does not work at all. I’m close to 1000 km so I hope I can sort this issue out once i speak to the service technician.
ellusiv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2023, 10:11   #49
BHPian

Look maa,new shoes 😁
Attached Thumbnails
2024 KTM Duke 390 Review-img_0129.jpeg  

2024 KTM Duke 390 Review-img_0128.jpeg  

Endless.... is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th November 2023, 15:08   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless.... View Post
Look maa,new shoes 😁
Which tires are this? How does the bike behave on rough roads with these?
kedar3223 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2023, 17:48   #51
BHPian

Got this beauty delivered last week!

Background Have been away from riding much since a few months due to a medical condition. With the situation improving, I intended to get one of the Triumph 400s. Had booked both the 400s in July and I was awaiting the test ride for Scrambler 400x. Speed 400 was already out of contention after a long test ride due to multiple reasons.

Was in touch with KTM folks for their adventure 390 lineup, but tried on the new Duke 390 once and booked it. All my life i’ve been strictly against being a beta tester for initial batches of any new vehicle but couldn’t hold back from taking a risk on this one 🤞

The entire booking to delivery experience was simply amazing, the staff and owner at Ahuja KTM Mumbai were outstanding at each step.

Here are some quick thoughts with approximately 500kms on the odo.

Positives
1. The new engine is simply amazing. Doesn’t disappoint one bit. Even in the run-in period it’s pretty fun with revs being under check
2. The handling is simply amazing, city roundabouts are fun even in crazy Mumbai traffic. Not a direct comparison but I feel the Metzeler are amazing in comparison to my Apollo Alpha H1 (these are new too) on CBR250
3. Heat management is pretty good, almost at par with my CBR250 in city
4. The electronics package is amazing including the gorgeous new console. Everything that i have tried so far works as intended, including the quickshifter
5. Personal opinion but looks absolutely smashing in person
6. Liking the adjustments on the suspension already, though I’m yet to explore its full potential. The changes are noticeable when you play around the settings
7. Braking is good, should get better in due course
8. At approximately 3.43 lakhs on road with BH registration, this is a steal IMHO
9. Full tank range of >350 kms

Negatives
1. Vibey at low revs, came back with buzzing hands after a 200kms ride although i had good gloves on. Have to give it some time to get used to this innate nature of the motor
2. At 5.10, overall space is a bit of a concern. Didn’t feel this as much of an issue in a short test ride but the long ride was not exactly comfy. Will be going for 820mm seat when its available.
3. Headlights have just below adequate illumination IMO. Will have to explore auxiliary lights
4. Rain mode map configuration seems a bit off for me. May be useful in tricky situations though
5. Can’t describe this well but the bike feels slightly unsettling under hard braking. Abs is intrusive and makes its presence felt. Bike does stop well as intended but not without some drama
Attached Thumbnails
2024 KTM Duke 390 Review-fullsizerender.jpeg  

2024 KTM Duke 390 Review-img_6531.jpeg  

2024 KTM Duke 390 Review-11fed1c0dc974802b35113ece024c6d0.jpeg  

camitesh is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 6th November 2023, 10:24   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by camitesh View Post
5. Can’t describe this well but the bike feels slightly unsettling under hard braking. Abs is intrusive and makes its presence felt. Bike does stop well as intended but not without some drama
Please check the tire pressure once. I took delivery of my 390 a week ago and didn't check the cold tire pressure till yesterday.

Rear tire was at 45 psi (recommended 29 psi-Solo) and front was at 40 psi (recommended 29 psi). I have set it right, but yet to take the bike out after that. Hopefully the rear will be a more comfortable after this.
nikman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2023, 11:23   #53
BHPian

These are some nice, strong words spoken about the 2024 KTM

Happy riding,
surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th November 2023, 11:26   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellusiv View Post
Even the quickshifter on my Atlantic Blue Gen-3 seems to have a mind of its own. I’ve had multiple instances where it just does not work at all. I’m close to 1000 km so I hope I can sort this issue out once i speak to the service technician.
Handed the bike in for her first service. They kept the bike an extra day stating there was a test KTM asked them to perform that my bike failed. There’s a good chance a lot of what they tried to explain to me got lost in translation due to my poor grasp of Telugu. Finally got the bike back yesterday and now the quickshifter and connectivity unit isn’t working. Can’t help but laugh at this point.
ellusiv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2023, 16:44   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedar3223 View Post
Which tires are this? How does the bike behave on rough roads with these?
Pirelli Scorpion rally STR. These have been my go-to tyres for the last 4/5 years now. Have the same on my other 390 as well. Rough roads, no roads, on beautiful tarmac, these shoes have been the most confidence inspiring for me personally. It costs a pretty penny but totally worth it.
Endless.... is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th November 2023, 17:16   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikman View Post

Rear tire was at 45 psi (recommended 29 psi-Solo) and front was at 40 psi (recommended 29 psi). I have set it right, but yet to take the bike out after that. Hopefully the rear will be a more comfortable after this.
Thanks Nikman, that was the first thing I did right out of the showroom after my first fuel-up. Will keep an eye out on the tire pressure though, have an extra pair of Sensairy external TPMS sensors which I’ll put to use on Duke shortly.

On another note, is anyone able to find any accessories at all, even the basic ones like tank pad and grips? The riding pants and jacket are starting to make some minor scuffs on the tank region.
camitesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2023, 12:10   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

An update on the above mentioned issue - the OBD2 tool was connected to a phone via a proprietary application. Using this, the SVC was able to unlock the feature. Now, the quick shifter works very well.

It appears as though the KTM factory workers forgot to activate the quick shifter for the blue bikes but did so on all the orange bikes which were allocated to this showroom.

These are just KTM quality things, I guess!

2024 KTM Duke 390 Review-before.jpeg
Before sorting the issue

2024 KTM Duke 390 Review-after.jpeg
After sorting out the issue

My friend's bike was at 99x kms yesterday and he would have crossed the 1,000 km mark sometime today. He is thoroughly enjoying the motorcycle.
Old 11th November 2023, 20:36   #58
BHPian

Test rode the bike last week and this seems to be all the "allrounder" 390 that everyone's been waiting for. Simply loved everything about the bike, and the engine/suspension was terrific, even more improved than the 2nd gen. No heating at all and if any, the fan does its job. The brakes are awesome as usual and the quickshifter is what it should be. The brap sound at upshift and the smooth yet fast acceleration (though the raw,scare you feel of the previous gens aren't there) is something that had me giggling everytime in my helmet. This would be a great breakfast ride bike for someone who is starting out and has plans of owning the big boys while owning an ADV for touring.
100Kmphormore is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th November 2023, 20:57   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100Kmphormore View Post
Test rode the bike last week and this seems to be all the "allrounder" 390 that everyone's been waiting for.
Hey @100Kmphormore! That is amazing to know!
Can you let me know where you got a test ride?
I've been eagerly waiting for one.
Old 11th November 2023, 21:11   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamg28 View Post
Hey @100Kmphormore! That is amazing to know!
Can you let me know where you got a test ride?
I've been eagerly waiting for one.
Thanks Shyam! I got it at the KTM showroom in Hoskerehalli, south Bengaluru. Got a spanking new bike
100Kmphormore is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks