Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2023, 23:39   #61
BHPian

Re: 2024 KTM Duke 390 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamg28 View Post
Hey @100Kmphormore! That is amazing to know!
Can you let me know where you got a test ride?
I've been eagerly waiting for one.
Thinking of picking up a Duke 390 sir? I think we will share the same garage then. Himalayan 411 in Common, You have the Wee 650 which I am thinking of buying and I have a Duke 390 which you are thinking of buying?
rahul4321 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2023, 23:50   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4321 View Post
Thinking of picking up a Duke 390 sir? I think we will share the same garage then. Himalayan 411 in Common, You have the Wee 650 which I am thinking of buying and I have a Duke 390 which you are thinking of buying?
Hahaha! You're the OG Himalayan-Duke390 guy! A combo that sounds counter intuitive, but makes absolute sense when you've ridden them both.

The Wee 650 - interesting, solid choice sir! That said, you don't want to consider the latest entrant in town for quick jaunts to le Himalayas?

My thing is, I have had access to a BS3 Duke 390 fairly frequently. And I've loved every moment with it. Wife is also hunting for a vehicle actually. So this is one of those in our list. Let's see

Last edited by shyamg28 : 11th November 2023 at 23:52.
shyamg28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2023, 14:14   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamg28 View Post
Hahaha! You're the OG Himalayan-Duke390 guy! A combo that sounds counter intuitive, but makes absolute sense when you've ridden them both.

The Wee 650 - interesting, solid choice sir! That said, you don't want to consider the latest entrant in town for quick jaunts to le Himalayas?

My thing is, I have had access to a BS3 Duke 390 fairly frequently. And I've loved every moment with it. Wife is also hunting for a vehicle actually. So this is one of those in our list. Let's see
The Duke 390 is a lovely motorcycle to add to your stable; in some aspects it will be exactly splitting the difference between the 411 and the Wee but it will kind of become no man's land.

If you want to tour with your mind at ease; lost in thoughts then its the fuss free 411. If you want to cover serious miles in comfort, its the Wee. The Duke will sit right in the middle; it can cover miles but not in as much comfort as either of them and at the same time the peaky high revving single will give you a different kind of rush which the linear accelerating Wee or the diesel locomotive like 411 wont. The KTM IS so hardcore in terms of acceleration, braking and turning on a dime that your body wont be physically tired at the end of a 500 kilometer trip but your mind surely will be as a result of all that concentration.

The H450 is nice; no doubt about it. But I am now looking to experience a parallel twin (or a triple). It may be my last motorcycle purchase so I am looking to go all out on a touring middleweight motorcycle in which i can do 700 kilometers per day in ample comfort.

Currently the 411 is too slow to do that kind of range and the 390 is too mentally tiring. Plus since I have the Duke and not the Adventure, it doesnt take too well to bad roads and my spine takes quite a bashing.

So i am seriously considering the Vstorm 650 now or the Tiger 660. Between the two, I seem to prefer the Vstorm. Although i haven't ridden either of them. The only parallel twin I have ridden (Barring the Interceptor) is the Versys 650 which is a great bike but too tall for me. I am a shorty 5'4-5'5 guy.

I love your travelogues on the Wee and each day, I am getting more attracted to the motorcycle
rahul4321 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th November 2023, 13:20   #64
BHPian

Quote:
The H450 is nice; no doubt about it. But I am now looking to experience a parallel twin (or a triple). It may be my last motorcycle purchase so I am looking to go all out on a touring middleweight motorcycle in which i can do 700 kilometers per day in ample comfort.
Exactly just the other chain of thought that is running in my mind.

Quote:
So i am seriously considering the Vstorm 650 now or the Tiger 660. Between the two, I seem to prefer the Vstorm.
The VStrom 650 is certainly a bulletproof tourer for sure with comfort being a big plus, but i feel power delivery may be a lot like the 411 barring the fact it can do triple digits much better. I had a short spin of the showroom bike and it felt nice but not exciting. I felt that on F900XR and the Multi 950, you should check them out in case you like a more engaging motorcycle. The upcoming 800DE Vstrom might be worth considering too, considering the 650 has been stopped, atleast here in Bengaluru.

Last edited by 100Kmphormore : 13th November 2023 at 13:30.
100Kmphormore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2023, 14:26   #65
BHPian

Are there any reputed after market marks that have started manufacturing accessories specific to the new gen3 duke 390 like top rack, saddle stays, radiator guards, sliders etc? Seeing multiple options for new launches like speed 400 but next to none for duke 390. Is it too early to expect this.
Old 14th November 2023, 21:11   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonith View Post
Came across this video today. It's sad to see such things happen on a new bike.

https://Youtu.be/ndbFK_TroZc?si=cTtmvOKGSXri9fO4
One of my friends Duke faced the same issue while he was traveling to native from Bangalore. Unfortunately I couldn't add the vedio here, bike had done approx 550 kms, the service center in banglore arranged for towing service we had to pick my friend as it happened in the night and far from closeby cities. The next day the cluster head called us and told the issue was fixed. When asked what the issue was he connected me to their mechanic and he told me that the oil jet supplying oil to the clutch side was blocked by metal debris. When I asked how can that happen when there are oil filter/screens he said not sure may be during manufacturing it had gotten between the oil screens we have cleaned it now.
I wasn't convinced by the explanation and asked what if it repeats, reply was they will take responsibility and fix it. Hope these are one off issues and not a design/manufacturing flaws.
Attached Thumbnails
2024 KTM Duke 390 Review-pxl_20231111_172032983.jpg  

2024 KTM Duke 390 Review-pxl_20231111_172019436.jpg  

PreethamNag is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th November 2023, 10:39   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreethamNag View Post
One of my friends Duke faced the same issue while he was traveling to native from Bangalore. Unfortunately I couldn't add the vedio here, bike had done approx 550 kms, the service center in banglore arranged for towing service we had to pick my friend as it happened in the night and far from closeby cities. The next day the cluster head called us and told the issue was fixed. When asked what the issue was he connected me to their mechanic and he told me that the oil jet supplying oil to the clutch side was blocked by metal debris. When I asked how can that happen when there are oil filter/screens he said not sure may be during manufacturing it had gotten between the oil screens we have cleaned it now.
Sorry to hear about the issue. Glad that the SVC was able to assist while stranded. Do keep us posted.

That being said, the second image, is that a tail tidy I see? Or was this a jugaad on the existing rear extensions?
Endless.... is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2023, 10:42   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless.... View Post
Sorry to hear about the issue. Glad that the SVC was able to assist while stranded. Do keep us posted.

That being said, the second image, is that a tail tidy I see? Or was this a jugaad on the existing rear extensions?
Sure, will update on if the issue is solved or if it persist. It is a tail tidy being tested is what my friend told. But I feel its a terrible idea as the tyre throws slush till the tank
PreethamNag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2023, 17:50   #69
BHPian

Any new owners here figure out how the navigation option works? I tried it today but seems like only audio commands heard on the SENA, no directions on the display. Not sure if I'm doing this wrong. Any inputs appreciated.
Old 15th November 2023, 19:22   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Any new owners here figure out how the navigation option works? I tried it today but seems like only audio commands heard on the SENA, no directions on the display. Not sure if I'm doing this wrong. Any inputs appreciated.
I was told by the dealership that on-screen navigation works as a paid service through KTM app. When I showed interest in getting this paid service, I was told to hold on as apparently KTM may make it a free service to all soon.

I maybe wrong but I reckon the navigation audio coming to your Sena is directly coming from your phone (assuming it’s also connected to your Sena) rather than through KTM’s console.
Old 15th November 2023, 19:48   #71
BHPian

Quote:
I have seen ktm adv riders use the following 3rd party app for navigation. Works fine with tiny bit of delay. Not sure if it works with the new 390 and 250 Duke. Do try and share your update

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ingen.maps4ktm
Old 16th November 2023, 13:20   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedar3223 View Post
I have seen ktm adv riders use the following 3rd party app for navigation. Works fine with tiny bit of delay. Not sure if it works with the new 390 and 250 Duke. Do try and share your update

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ingen.maps4ktm
Tried to use this app with my 390 Gen3 but not successful. The last option "Connected to the motorcycle" in the app is staying disabled (the remaining options are all on) even though the bluetooth is connected to the bike. Google maps navigation too was turned on but to no avail

I guess will have to wait for the developer to update for the new 390.
Old 16th November 2023, 23:18   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by camitesh View Post
I was told by the dealership that on-screen navigation works as a paid service through KTM app. When I showed interest in getting this paid service, I was told to hold on as apparently KTM may make it a free service to all soon.

I maybe wrong but I reckon the navigation audio coming to your Sena is directly coming from your phone (assuming it’s also connected to your Sena) rather than through KTM’s console.
Yep. The audio was from the phone to Sena. Had nothing to do with the bike. Not like I miss that feature with all the mounts at hand but still, would be nice to see being put to use
Old 17th November 2023, 09:56   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikman View Post
Tried to use this app with my 390 Gen3 but not successful. The last option "Connected to the motorcycle" in the app is staying disabled (the remaining options are all on) even though the bluetooth is connected to the bike. Google maps navigation too was turned on but to no avail

I guess will have to wait for the developer to update for the new 390.
Oh that's a disappointment. Lets hope the developer updates the app or better, ktm comes up with their official solution. As of now, navigation seems to be a feature just on paper.
Old 17th November 2023, 19:34   #75

THE NEW DUKE 390

BACKGROUND
I had started my motorcycling journey with a 2011 Yamaha R15.It served my daily commutes and occasional highway rides absolutely well until I had to sell it off in 2019.The launch of the 2nd generation TVS Apache RR310 triggered my passion for motorcycling again but I was not able to buy one then.I was always a fan of fully faired motorcycles until the Triumph Speed 400 grabbed my attention.The brand image and the premium looks won me over but after a test ride I was still left wanting for more.The decision to not buy the speed 400 is a story for another day.

CAPTIVATED
The new DUKE 390 was launched.The only thing I had loved from the images is its Blue avatar.As it is I was hopping from one to the other motorcycle dealerships for test rides and of course KTM was on my list.The day I saw the new Duke390 in flesh,it completely shattered my pre-conceived notions based on photos/videos.It looks hunky and radical,although it is a polarising aspect.But the test ride just blew me away! Nimble,agile,powerful and tech loaded.Booked it at once and got it delivered on 12 October 2023.

PURCHASE
I have bought it from MM Motors in Bhubaneswar,Odisha.The owner of the showroom went way out of his way to meet my each and every requirement.Excellent PDI,very cooperative and patient.The purchase experience was utter smooth.

Scratch prone area on the side fairings
2024 KTM Duke 390 Review-img_20231112_151333.jpg

TFT display in broad daylight
2024 KTM Duke 390 Review-img_20231112_151414.jpg

2024 KTM Duke 390 Review-img_20231112_162522.jpg

2024 KTM Duke 390 Review-img_20231112_162612.jpg

Let me immediately dive into the pros and cons of this machine.Please note I am neither a trained rider nor a track-guy so my perspective is purely based on my present riding ability and practicality.

PROS
1.Menacing look and attention grabber.
2.Gorgeous TFT display and very informative.
3.Power to weight ratio is terrific.
4.Handles like a dream and a corner just epitomizes its pedigree.
5.More practical pillion seat.
6.Increased ground clearance for the geometry defying speed breakers and potholes.
7.Switchgear quality is nice and back-lit.
8.800mm seat height comes as a blessing for shorter guys like me.
9.Quick shifter and auto-blipper work just fine above 6000rpm on my machine.
Everything else can be found on the spec sheet.

CONS
1.Cleaning this scalpel is comparatively difficult,courtesy its edgy design.
2.Vibrations on the handle bar are noticeable until 5000rpm and hands feel numb after a 15-20kms ride.
3.I am only 5ft6in tall but surprisingly I felt cramped,I have to compromise the comfort of my knee,feet or buttocks on a long ride.But for taller guys there is not enough space to shift on the rider seat.So please check this out before buying.
4.Head light throw is fine inside the city but insufficient on the highways.
5.I felt the brakes to be just OK.Improved from the previous generations but not exceptional.
6.Tank panels are very susceptible to scartches even from regular pants.
7.Using the TFT on the fly can be quite distracting,please do take care.
8.No user manual available yet.
9.Bluetooth connectivity with One plus phones is not possible till date.

SUMMARY
If you are looking for an upgrade from your existing 150/250/300cc motorcycles,if you need a fun bike for the streets,effortless highway ride with all the bells and whistles from the equipment department, the new DUKE 390 is an absolute value for the money you will pay.And if you can wait for the second batch,it will be definitely worth it.

CONCERNS
KTM seems to have delivered these Dukes in a hurry,completely unacceptable from an established brand.So many heartening experiences of our fellow riders across the country,Youtube is flooded with videos of the same.

The paintjob is not finished properly specifically on my unit.
Paint mounds on the intake slots of tank shrouds on both sides 2024 KTM Duke 390 Review-img_20231114_133715.jpg2024 KTM Duke 390 Review-img_20231114_133758.jpg

The tank panels are very scratch prone as pointed out by a fellow BHPian and the only solution is to wait for an after market tank grip.

During the first service of my bike the SVC did not have spare gaskets for the engine oil filter cover.2024 KTM Duke 390 Review-img_20231114_123832.jpg

Service technicians are not properly trained or aware about details of this product.
The first batch of these dukes definitely has some issues but not as exaggerated by some vloggers,boils down to how you treat your dragon.
KTM has not released the owners manual on its app yet for the duke 390.In this era riders have completed 1000kms without an owner's manual and the answer KTM India customer support have for this issue is "5 years warranty sir,don't worry".

PS- This is my first detailed post for Team-BHP.Absolutely open for suggestions to improve.Hope I have done OK.
DBS65 is offline   (18) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks