Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2024, 21:44   #61
BHPian

Re: Honda teases new variant of CB350 with classic touches

I think Honda is late to the party and this model might not get the same attention that RE models get. RE even with the list of problems still attract most customers. Honda lost the opportunity to make use of the quality centric brand perception associated with it. I really hope Honda survives.
Old 13th January 2024, 03:47   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedaliah View Post
I think Honda is late to the party and this model might not get the same attention that RE models get. RE even with the list of problems still attract most customers. Honda lost the opportunity to make use of the quality centric brand perception associated with it. I really hope Honda survives.
This could have become the kind of hit it deserved to be had Honda worked on the overall quality of the bike.

With reports of issues and niggles with the bike, the kind that were usually reserved for Royal Enfields, I think Honda just shot themselves in their foot.

Lack of spares further spoils the party for Honda.

Apart from Activa's and Dio's Honda isn't much interested in working with any other model in their portfolio.

I believe they do have the right products, but they lack the commitment.
Mr.Ogre is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2024, 08:09   #63

Concerns regarding Honda CB350 and Honda itself

Hi TeamBHPians,

After an intensive journey of analysis (TeamBHP, YouTube, Reddit, X, real life conversations with owners and mechanics), test drives and everything else, I decided to go ahead with Honda CB350 'BABT' and move over to riding gear selection. But during the process of paying my booking amount and actually going ahead for a PDI and final sourcing of the bike, I came across a number of concerns.

1. Does Honda even care?

I lodged a complaint regarding the Gen Z scheme which advertised a discount of approx 12.5k for people between ages 18-25.

My sibling turned 25 and the next day the offer became non-applicable for us. I demanded as a customer to see the *terms and conditions* in writing for this scheme; to clearly see that the interpretation of this T&C is as strict as they say. The executive at the showroom told me that there is 'nothing' in writing and there is 'nothing' you can do about it. It was at this moment that I decided to call
up Honda official customer care number and inquire about it myself.

What followed was no less than a comedy of errors, and I wasn't amused. I told Honda that I've paid the booking amount, but the dealer is not able to show me any terms and conditions regarding a discount scheme. To this, the employee told me that, "There is no such scheme approved from our end. Where did you hear about this?" I was shocked. Additionally, even this Honda executive couldn't furnish anything in writing anywhere (remember, he already denied the existence of a scheme in the first place) and lodged a complaint.

Now, listen to this. The guy sent an email back to the dealer, and in the email/complaint he stated 'Customer has been demanded money, he has paid the booking amount but dealer has not given the discount'.

What? Seriously? Did the person even understand my concern? The salesman I was in contact with was now in the crosshair, as if he duped me. I had to calm him down along with the whole team there.

I wouldn't take names, but it was evident that the dealers themselves have nothing in written. There no written terms and conditions anywhere. The dealer simply punches in the details of a customer, and a backend system approves/declines the discount. I realised that now it is Me vs Honda, not Me vs Dealer.

I called back again, explained the situation. I was told the escalation team will call me. It is now 24 days since then and Honda has not cared to call me back.

What's ironic is that the dealer team already told me about this, that I'm crying on deaf ears, and no one will call. 'Sir, they're a Japanese company in Japan, why would they talk to you? They ultimately instruct us sir. Please come and let's finalize, dont waste your time', was what the dealer team said.

Since then, I have been extremely disappointed in Honda as a company. As much as I liked the bike, I'm losing faith in this brand every day that passes by.

What will happen if I face an issue in the future?

Please note that I reached out to Honda on X, Facebook and Instagram too, but it was like there's a void on the other end. No one is there to listen. We're on the whim of dealers. They're the kingpins. This actually reminded me of Tata Motors Passenger Vehicles, but that's a story for another day.

Also, 2 days later, the sales executive sent me a Whatsapp message with self typed terms and conditions. I could fight no more. (Keep in mind that the complaint at Honda was/is still open, not resolved/closed. Honda has not called me since then, at all.)

2. The Egregious Headlight and The Curious Case of Aftermarket Lights :

Almost everyone, including me, has felt how subpar the headlight of this bike is. Even though Harley Davidson X440 is at a completely different price point, why couldn't Honda provide a better lighting setup akin to that of X440, or maybe as an accessory?

Talking of accessories, I discovered how measly the OEM aux lights are. I was advised to get aftermarket solutions like Maddog, and here began the curious case of legality of aftermarket accessories/modifications/upgrades.

I scoured the internet. There is a prevalent myth that says a bike owner can legally install fog/aux lights if it's below the height of the main headlight, has lower cumulative power than the main headlight, is tilted downwards and is yellow. I would like to inform you all that after calling Delhi Traffic Police Helpline 5 times on 5 different days to confirm my suspicion, I was clearly told that 'anything that does not come stock is considered a modification, and can be fined, including the fog lights you're talking of'. This made me realize that the so called document everybody quotes to justify aux light mods is probably meant for the manufacturers, not us owners waiting to dash to aftermarkets.

Even though roads are bad, the country as a whole doesn't have pitch perfect lighting system for roadways and no matter how grim the situation is, I did not want to modify my brand new bike with aftermarket solutions, that too on Day 1, due to a shortcoming of the manufacturer itself.

Moreover, I recently came across an article which talked of how a burnt down Thar was denied insurance since an aftermarket electrical accessory was installed by the owner, even though from the OEM service centre.

I've made peace with buying Honda OEM aux lights when the day comes, in order to be able to show the bill or document when needed by the Traffic Police or the Insurance company, but it's really disappointing.

Living with bad headlights and an average aux light to avoid being fined by the traffic police and save myself from a denial of insurance in a rare instance? Thank you, Honda. I don't have the luxury to say I'll pass.

3. The MRF Zapper Y Tyres Conundrum :

I learnt that the MRF tyres are just okay. Realising that one can exchange them for way better ones to improve riding aspects, I looked forward to exchange them with Pirelli, Michelin or some other nice brand with a better model. To my surprise, even after searching by size of a tyre, there is no official listing of a tyre that matches recommended configuration of Honda CB350! Pirelli, Michelin, Metzeler, or even Apollo! It is only when you visit their global websites, or use Google boolean searches, you finally visit some archived pages, or listings that are miles away from our country.

I contacted a Michelin dealer, and he told me he has Metzeler LaserTec. Gave me a quote of 20k. I'll consider it, but the non availability of tyres was disheartening. I dont even know if Metzeler LaserTec is a relevant product in today's day and age, since the only YouTube video regarding it I saw was 9 years old. Maybe I didn't look enough.

I need your guidance, everyone. The issues I stated above, they might seem like senseless rambling, but a purchase of 2.5L OTR is a big thing for me. I made the mistake of not doing my due diligence for my car previously, and to this day, I suffer, along-with a lot of other owners. The dealer is simply waiting for me to circle back and finalize deal. I don't expect much knowledge from a dealership anyway. If I had the budget and the pillion seat was better, I would have gone ahead with the X440 which would eliminate atleast 1 of the aforementioned issues. But that would mean going beyond my means, and I would not like to take a loan.

This post may have given grumpy vibes, but trust me, I was so happy imagining my family standing with the CB350; yet these concerns popped up, and they aren't easy to sway or ignore.

I am looking forward to your inputs and guidance. Would like to know your thoughts on this, everyone.
omni is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2024, 23:30   #64
Senior - BHPian

Re: Concerns regarding Honda CB350 and Honda itself

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni View Post

1. Does Honda even care?

Please note that I reached out to Honda on X, Facebook and Instagram too, but it was like there's a void on the other end. No one is there to listen. We're on the whim of dealers. They're the kingpins. This actually reminded me of Tata Motors Passenger Vehicles, but that's a story for another day.
Not just Honda, most customer care of OEM's are like this barring Maruti & Hyundai/Kia to an extent. The best is Maruti where dealers are afraid if you say you will call the Maruti customer care. One thing with Honda BigWing is that the dealerships make or break the sale. I have had the experience of owning 2 BigWing bikes (CB300R & CB 350RS) from Mysore BigWing and their service, attitude & hospitality is amazing and much better than even some car showrooms that I have visited. Regarding the offer, i dont think it is an offer from Honda but from specific dealers who are willing to give discounts for the sake of sales. Also if a person is over 25 and does not qualify, not sure what is the point of complaining?

Quote:
2. The Egregious Headlight and The Curious Case of Aftermarket Lights :

Almost everyone, including me, has felt how subpar the headlight of this bike is.
The headlight of any OEM barring the X440/Maverick is pathetic to say the least. But one thing I have understood is majority of it is to do with the correct focussing of the headlight. The 300R that I owned has seen a 1000kms tour of which 500 was in the night. I had got the headlight focussed before the ride and the lighting on dark highways was much better than a Himalayan accompanying me with aux lights. Same for the RS. I have got the focussing done to my liking and the headlights feel plenty enough for unlit roads. Only on brightly lit roads, any LED headlight will feel fully washed out and nothing you can do about it.

Quote:
3. The MRF Zapper Y Tyres Conundrum :

I am looking forward to your inputs and guidance. Would like to know your thoughts on this, everyone.
Honestly, let the tyres be. Dont even try to swap them out this early. Use the bike, learn how it performs and then decide if you really want to change it. Both the CB 300R and current RS had MRF's and if you ask me, unless you are riding on the track, our skill level will run out faster than the tyres losing grip on normal tarmac. So dont worry much and use the bike with the current tyres or change them to the Zapper Kurve that is available on the RS if you so want to swap them. Dont look for imported brands as tyre imports have been on hold for quite many years and anything you find now will be older stock.

End of the day, if you have taken a test ride and you like the bike then go ahead with the purchase. The discount will be a drop in the ocean when compared to the satisfaction you will get with the rides on the steed if you are fully happy with it during the test rides.
abhinav.s is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2024, 06:08   #65

Re: Concerns regarding Honda CB350 and Honda itself

Thank you so much for your response! This gave me some perspective.

Quote:
Regarding the offer, i dont think it is an offer from Honda but from specific dealers who are willing to give discounts for the sake of sales. Also if a person is over 25 and does not qualify, not sure what is the point of complaining?
Surprisingly, this discount scheme was everywhere on social media and was being marketed like anything. Every targeted ad had the name 'Honda' on it, which signaled that it's a company wide plan. Just recently, the General Manager of the showroom showed me an internal circular from the higher ups. While this instilled confidence within me with respect to the showroom, I learnt that Honda even in its circular hasn't given any terms and conditions.

The complaint was actually for the non-availability of 'Terms and Conditions' in writing. The problem wasn't getting a discount, rather the lack of on paper facts. Everything, literally everyone was verbal. I didn't even get a booking form.

Quote:
The headlight of any OEM barring the X440/Maverick is pathetic to say the least. But one thing I have understood is majority of it is to do with the correct focussing of the headlight. The 300R that I owned has seen a 1000kms tour of which 500 was in the night. I had got the headlight focussed before the ride and the lighting on dark highways was much better than a Himalayan accompanying me with aux lights. Same for the RS. I have got the focussing done to my liking and the headlights feel plenty enough for unlit roads. Only on brightly lit roads, any LED headlight will feel fully washed out and nothing you can do about it.
This insight of yours have bestowed tranquility upon me. I'm relieved to hear that this is a widespread issue, and that X440 is just an outlier in this price range/segment. I will make sure to get my headlights focused and that special care is given to that. I'll try to learn it's mechanical know-hows too.

Also, my major concern was dimly lit streets. I understand that on brightly lit roads the LED will simply fade away into nothingness. Hopefully, CB350 headlights will have ample utility.

Quote:
Honestly, let the tyres be.
Alright, I will first live with the stock configuration and understand it's nature.

Quote:
Dont look for imported brands as tyre imports have been on hold for quite many years and anything you find now will be older stock.
Man, I didn't know about this! No wonder the prices are also so high for international brands.

Quote:
End of the day, if you have taken a test ride and you like the bike then go ahead with the purchase. The discount will be a drop in the ocean when compared to the satisfaction you will get with the rides on the steed if you are fully happy with it during the test rides.
My major concerns and fears were regarding Honda (The Company) and headlights. The reason I still held on to the idea of riding this bike, discount or no discount, is not just that I liked it; my father chose it too. This will be my first bike after my his trusty Bajaj Discover (scrapped after serving us for full 15 years). It will be a treat to eyes to see him ride the Mat Green CB350.

I test drove Triumph Speed 400 and Scramber 400x, Royal Enfield Hunter|Bullet|Classic|Meteor, Harley Davidson X440, Ather 450X(for the lols and curiosity) and Honda CB350RS|Hness|CB350 BABT.

Right off the bat, the CB350 BABT captivated me. Keeping all the financial and utility factors in mind, this bike made it till the end. So yes, I'm getting your drift when you speak of the drop in the ocean. I'm really excited.

Thank you once again for the response, sire. You've alleviated a lot of my concerns.

But I've gotta say, the laws around aftermarket modifications and all is so jumbled up!
omni is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2024, 23:03   #66
BHPian

IMO, only old Bullet (pushrod valve actuators) had a real character. Newer Bullet completely lost it. I remember taking test-drive sometimes back, so many vibrations and no where impressive thump that old Bullet use to have.

No one can touch Honda on reliability front. My CD 100 has completed 34 years, still running on stock clutch plates, had only two failure in the entire history that were, electrical ignition coil and electrical starter plate. No mechanical failures. Zero rattle. Still going on strong is enough to speak about Honda's reliability.

So, when Honda launched 350CC bike, I took test drive in Kovid times and was not impressed. But just few days back took test drive of newer CB 350 and it was very easy to drive in back to back traffic. May be Honda silently improved something that has made it more city friendly. I just love that Brown-dune color paired with brown seat.

I have only one grouse that at standstill, handle becomes very stiff but when it pickup speed it just floats on the road.
IP_Man is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2024, 13:15   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP_Man View Post
IMO, only old Bullet (pushrod valve actuators) had a real character. Newer Bullet completely lost it. I remember taking test-drive sometimes back, so many vibrations and no where impressive thump that old Bullet use to have.

No one can touch Honda on reliability front. My CD 100 has completed 34 years, still running on stock clutch plates, had only two failure in the entire history that were, electrical ignition coil and electrical starter plate. No mechanical failures. Zero rattle. Still going on strong is enough to speak about Honda's reliability.

So, when Honda launched 350CC bike, I took test drive in Kovid times and was not impressed. But just few days back took test drive of newer CB 350 and it was very easy to drive in back to back traffic. May be Honda silently improved something that has made it more city friendly. I just love that Brown-dune color paired with brown seat.

I have only one grouse that at standstill, handle becomes very stiff but when it pickup speed it just floats on the road.
There is nothing that honda has improved over the period, for hness. It is the same bike. May be your first ride was a bad sample, which I doubt.

The old bullet, with push rod and cast iron engine gave that feel!
gkrishn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2024, 05:48   #68
BHPian

The MRF tyres are horrible, on the Highness/CB350. Virtually every owner is facing wobbling of the handlebar. I was smug that my Highness did not face any wobbling, but it started after 2 years. Luckily, I've done close to 22000 km and though my tyres have some life left, I am going to Ladakh later this year and plan to change them to Reise tyres, which most have had a very good experience with
Old 25th April 2024, 20:17   #69
BHPian

I love CB 350 and almost finalise it for the touring but I saw some YouTube videos esp. route to Chandratal water crossing in-between. I slowly realise that in Himalaya, weight of the bike/luggage becomes your enemy.

Honda CB 350 is OK on the plain road but you need a high revving lightweight bike in Himalayan roads. I have seen bullets and other heavy bikes are struggling to cross water bodies at the same time light weight bikes Honda CB 200X, Suzuki V-storme and KTM are crossing water bodies easily.

Last edited by IP_Man : 25th April 2024 at 20:20.
Old 26th April 2024, 22:28   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post
There is nothing that honda has improved over the period, for hness. It is the same bike. May be your first ride was a bad sample, which I doubt.

The old bullet, with push rod and cast iron engine gave that feel!
There are two major improvement/modifications factory installed in the new 2024 CB2024.

1. Flex fuel E20 update.

2. ECU update to cure AMS () of Highness.

Regarding second point, it is basically correction in the fuel injection map. Many has reported improvement in the low end pickup of the bike.

Anyway I find good improvement in the city driving condition. I used second gear as good as automatic in slow moving traffic.

Last edited by IP_Man : 26th April 2024 at 22:30.
IP_Man is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks