Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2008, 11:52   #61
Senior - BHPian

I had the Gypsy headlight unit fixed on my old RX. I didnt modify the rectifier or dynamo. My Mech did something that led the bike to start producing enough current to get amazing headlight power.

I got a metal casing to fit the unit and changed the wiring. Cost about 800Rs in 1999. Was a god send change to my pathetic 6 volt headlight.
Attached Thumbnails
Living with my dream my RX 135-9.jpg  

Old 21st April 2008, 12:12   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
I had the Gypsy headlight unit fixed on my old RX. I didnt modify the rectifier or dynamo. My Mech did something that led the bike to start producing enough current to get amazing headlight power.

I got a metal casing to fit the unit and changed the wiring. Cost about 800Rs in 1999. Was a god send change to my pathetic 6 volt headlight.
Which bulbs did you upgrade to when you did this? Are you still in touch with that mechanic so that you can ask him what he did?
Old 21st April 2008, 12:41   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
Which bulbs did you upgrade to when you did this? Are you still in touch with that mechanic so that you can ask him what he did?
I am guessing its the one that comes standard on the gypsy. Sorry, no idea of rating, was a halogen for sure. My uncle got one from Oman called some "all wheather" (not sure), with a huge ceramic holder. Couldnt fix it in the reflector, was a 3 pin type.

I dont have any contacts with the mechanic. He asked me to buy a diode of a particular rating and fixed it with some wiring. Said it will convert my bike into 12 volt from existing 6 volt, I upgraded the battery. I had to change that diode after 3 years when it failed. The horns, indicators, brake light bulbs were changed and worked perfectly till the bike was sold in 2003.
Old 21st April 2008, 13:14   #64
BHPian

Quote:
I got a metal casing to fit the unit and changed the wiring. ...
Where did you get this metal case? is it readly available in the market?
Old 21st April 2008, 13:31   #65
Senior - BHPian

It's readily available in the market. Ask for yezdi/large headlight doom (yes doom... lol )

You can fit any light unit that will fit an ambassodor/premier/bullet inside it. You'll get bulbs for these lights from 35w and higher...
Old 21st April 2008, 13:57   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabs78 View Post
Has anybody tried to fit Pulsar or Apache gas shocks to rx135? Will it work well considering the weight difference?
I have a Pulsar Gas shocks in my 2003 Yamaha Rx135. Works like a charm. But I had to be a bit careful while making sharp turns since i had it configured for soft ride (using the stiffness adjust option in the shocks). No modifications were made in the bike to fit these..
Old 21st April 2008, 14:48   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I had the Pulsar gas shocks on my 5Speed. But t was not fitted with the stock swingarm, i had a longer rectangular section swingarm of the Fazer's and the shock swing arm combi was nice.

On a stock swingarm the shock would be too long and very stiff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by K a s h View Post
I have a Pulsar Gas shocks in my 2003 Yamaha Rx135. Works like a charm. But I had to be a bit careful while making sharp turns since i had it configured for soft ride (using the stiffness adjust option in the shocks). No modifications were made in the bike to fit these..
hummm.. I think Apache shocks may be more sutable for rx135 as apache weighs lesser.
Old 21st April 2008, 16:57   #68
BHPian

Quote:
hummm.. I think Apache shocks may be more sutable for rx135 as apache weighs lesser.
How much does that cost any idea ?
Old 21st April 2008, 17:50   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Where did you get this metal case? is it readly available in the market?
Yes Sankar's right, just ask for a headlight doom. This was very popular in the 90's. Not sure now. There must be fancier stuff now. I dont track them now. My RX135 is stock. Just want to keep it that way.
Old 21st April 2008, 17:56   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would seriously suggest you keep the shocks standard unless you are getting the entire kit along with the swingarm changed. It changes the handling of the bike dramatically.

I had rings welded on to the bottom of my shocks to raise the back. I was unable to keep the lines on hairpins turns. I got it disposed after a near miss.
Old 21st April 2008, 19:00   #71
BHPian

Quote:
I had rings welded on to the bottom of my shocks to raise the back. I was unable to keep the lines on hairpins turns. I got it disposed after a near miss.
Can you please elaborate of the exact problem?

I understand that due to raising rear hight, caster angle on your bike reduced. This will result in reduced stability and light steering.
Old 21st April 2008, 21:03   #72
Senior - BHPian

Prajeep, I'm going to send the coil to you. Just a little busy. How much will a new coil cost? I cant have the bike dead when I send it to you. I asked at one store and he told me it will cost 150. Is that the right price for an original by your knowledge? I have never really needed one before.

Last edited by straight6 : 21st April 2008 at 21:09.
Old 22nd April 2008, 11:26   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
Prajeep, I'm going to send the coil to you. Just a little busy. How much will a new coil cost? I cant have the bike dead when I send it to you. I asked at one store and he told me it will cost 150. Is that the right price for an original by your knowledge? I have never really needed one before.
where did you enquire ? enquire with any one of the dealers. i don't have any idea about the rates. before sending the coil over to me call this person once and speak to him his name is kennady 9945138274 refer my name pradeep not prajeep call him After 2pm any time coz he opens his eyes only at 1:30pm everyday...
Old 22nd April 2008, 11:41   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you please elaborate of the exact problem?
I understand that due to raising rear hight, caster angle on your bike reduced. This will result in reduced stability and light steering.
Thats right, the bike started bouncing a lot around corners. Riding alone made things difficult. If I had a pillion, the handling wasnt that bad.

The good thing: The rings coupled with a 3.25x16 tyres from the Yezdi gave good travel for the suspension especially on bad roads. Badly needed it on the way to my plantation. The issue was on sharp turns at higher speeds.
Old 22nd April 2008, 12:30   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praJEEP View Post
where did you enquire ? enquire with any one of the dealers. i don't have any idea about the rates. before sending the coil over to me call this person once and speak to him his name is kennady 9945138274 refer my name pradeep not prajeep call him After 2pm any time coz he opens his eyes only at 1:30pm everyday...
That timing seems to be the trend in Bangalore. Do you know Irshad bhai in Shivaji Nagar? He too opens shop in the afternoon and stays until 2 am or so.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks