Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2010, 16:04   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
I bought my RTR 160 (the Refresh), also in Red , about a year and a half ago and its still running like a thoroughbred . I did 118 last nite on NH7 with my friend riding pillion (she's really light and we were both crouching), there was room for it go much more. Reving to 11 grand in first gear is priceless . The bike was built with one thing in mind and thats acceleration. Yeah it might not have the top end speed but ive gotten it up past 120 and that was only in 4th gear. You can win traffic light races with ease and pretty much outflank anyone in traffic. I think TVS looked at the situation and came up with a precise city tool which doubles up as an excellent track tool as well. As for the TVS tires, yes they are the biggest POS's ever, but everyone with an RTR needs to put a Michelin M45 on the back and the handling will become a lot more sharper . The way that tire sticks to the road is amazing and the bike will not fishtail during heavy braking. But one of the best things about this bike is the exhaust note...so sexy . Hearing it at idle, the burble, is intoxicating. I seriously think it has the best note among all the indian bikes. Sorry R15 guys, we got you beat on this one. The banshee like screaming at WOT isnt bad either. Im only assuming the RTR180 improves on this. I cant wait to see what TVS has in store next.

Hey, I brought a apache RTR 160(non FI) last month(Jan11,2010), This is my first 4 stroke bike. Had some doubts over the pickup of a 4s bike.

But apache killed my doubts.

Definately, i completed 600km on my bike today and dropping it for service tomorrow, till now my ratings:

Looks: 5/5
Pick-up: 4/5 (i owned a RX100 before so people would understand)
Balance: 5/5
Gear shift: 3/5 really bad and rough the showroom guys told me this will become ok after sometime. (any idea when this will improve)
Lights: Little dull at night.
Seating comfort: 5/5 Great (initally little uncomfortable, but will get adjusted after sometimes)
Handling: 5/5 (My height is 5,7 so am a short person but apache handling is just superb in traffic, i found PUlsar a little bit tough to control)
After sales TVS Service: Actually, the best till now that I experienced..
I was facing some problem with the carburetor, they took the bike and replaced the whole assembly with a new one.
Old 11th February 2010, 18:52   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bose.srijit View Post
Gear shift: 3/5 really bad and rough the showroom guys told me this will become ok after sometime. (any idea when this will improve)
Lights: Little dull at night.
Welcome to TBHP Srijit and congrats on your RTR.

The gearshifts should be ok after about 3-4k kms on the bike.

Happy motoring.

Recently acquired a used RTR160 Refresh. I guess I was not able to get enough of this bike. Have done 1000 kms on it till now. Loving every moment of it.
Old 13th February 2010, 14:25   #18
BHPian

Me too having an RTR , put Motul semi synth or the petronas oil and the bikes becomes more smooth and even gear-shifts become softer and better . use Xw40 oil where x can be any number .
Old 20th May 2010, 17:39   #19
Senior - BHPian

* BUMP BUMP *

Hi All,

Bumping my thread as I have a query regarding tubeless tires for RTR160 refresh.

I know that the size of the rims are 17" front and 18" rear.

What is the right tire size and brand to go for in tubeless please??

Will the stock size suffice or should i upsize?

I am happy with the stock size and I am changing to tubeless since I m planning some long rides on the RTR thru mildly harsh terrain and mountain roads with potholes. I dont want to be stranded in the middle of the mountain with a flat tire. I will also be doing few hours on the NH at moderate speeds of 80-90 kmph for extended periods, so the tire should be able to bear with this as well.

Please pour in your suggestions and help me decide on the right tire.

Mods: Can we please change the title to "Apache RTR160 - Ownership Review"
Old 24th May 2010, 15:04   #20
Senior - BHPian

Guys, some help and advice
Old 31st May 2010, 12:23   #21

I know of someone who did a tubeless conversion on his RTR few months back. Let me get the info. will post back his tyre details.
Old 31st May 2010, 19:02   #22
BHPian

@abhinav-Can you please tell me if you are hearing any tappet noise? I just got my bike back from the first service (500+ kms on odo) and I had mentioned about tappet noise. Couldn't hear it for the first 5-6kms, but later I can hear. Care to comment please?
Old 1st June 2010, 15:50   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bose.srijit View Post
I know of someone who did a tubeless conversion on his RTR few months back. Let me get the info. will post back his tyre details.
Thanks a lot buddy.. It would really help as i want to do this the coming weekend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdna View Post
@abhinav-Can you please tell me if you are hearing any tappet noise? I just got my bike back from the first service (500+ kms on odo) and I had mentioned about tappet noise. Couldn't hear it for the first 5-6kms, but later I can hear. Care to comment please?
Well i do hear a noise but the mech said its some spring which makes the noise as opposed to the tappet. Will let you know when i go him this weekend.
Old 11th June 2010, 17:20   #24
Senior - BHPian

Finally managed to go tubeless on the RTR.

Since the MRF factory was locked out, there was no MRF tires available. Only option was the Michelin Sirac which was 120 section and also damn heavy. Did not want to upsize the tires. So went for TVS Jumbo at the back and continental at the front. Went for stock size only.

To be frank the grip level at the rear has improved by about 40%. Confidence on the wet has increased from the stock TVS tire. Gravel is still tricky and i dont expect it to be great on gravel as we have to be careful whatever be the tires.

The main assurance is the peace of mind on the highway trips with respect to punctures.

Happy so far with the tires. Still running it in the city to ensure its run a few hundred kms before taking it to the highway

So far bike's been performing well and also returning a decent average of 42kmpl under hard riding.
Old 11th June 2010, 17:28   #25
Senior - BHPian

Thats good to know Abhinav, the stock tires on TVS are very scary on gravel & wet roads. Keep us posted
Old 11th June 2010, 17:35   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Thats good to know Abhinav, the stock tires on TVS are very scary on gravel & wet roads. Keep us posted
Agree.. Specially in the wet. Due to the recent spell of rains here, got a chance to test the new tires in wet conditions and it performed better but i guess it has to run for a few more kms to get grippy. The tread pattern is totally different to stock and that helps a bit. Overall in rains on slippery roads, i was a lil more confident in taking turns and riding at 45kmph compared to stock tires.
Old 11th June 2010, 19:24   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
but i guess it has to run for a few more kms to get grippy.
Well if that doesnt work then there is nothing that a good burnout cant fix
Old 11th June 2010, 20:47   #28
Senior - BHPian

Nothing comes close to the Adreline rush an RTR Series can give in a 0-60km run. Even the famed R15 is actually bit slow till 50km after which it runs like there is no tomorrow!!

The Other bike which comes close here is the FZ, however, a sligtly slimmer tire would have really helped its cause here.

Just my 2 cents,
Old 13th June 2010, 13:47   #29
BHPian

Here is a problem which I noticed from the past 2-3 days. Since I was getting irritated with the front suspension sound, I had gone to the service center and he tightened the fork stem. The flickability is now lost. As part of the conversation about the bike, the mechanic started to explain something about the rear suspension. Then he took a look at the chain tension and he decided to tighten. All done, I reach home.

The next day, after riding around 6kms in the evening, when I slow down I noticed mild "tak, tak, tak...." sound and this was only when I used to ride slowly. Stopped the bike, revved a bit, but figured out that its not from the engine and was sure that it was somewhere in engine, gearbox area. No matter how hard I tried to replicate the sound, I couldn't figure out what it was. I got too scared and didn't use the bike the next day thinking that I'll take it to the service center, but couldn't. Discussing this with my colleague, he was on the negative and even he couldn't hear any sounds. Aaarggghhh....!

I use the bike yesterday morning, take it for nearly 50kms, no sound. In the evening, while I slow down to park at the house, then I hear the sound. I finally realised that it was from the tightened chain. My friend says that it is normal for the tightened sprocket to make sound, but its not from the rear sprocket, but from the front where it goes into the gearbox(?) I had taken my bike out again for a spin this morning, for around 50kms, no sound. The sound turns up usually when I take it on long rides and when the bike is stationary and the rear wheel is given a spin by the hand. The noise is very irritating and I'm scared that it might damage the parts. How should I explain it to the service center guys about the problem? Sometimes the mechanics are just not ready to accept about things which don't work properly. I take it to Bridgestone TVS in Rajajinagar. Please advice.
Old 14th June 2010, 13:26   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Well if that doesnt work then there is nothing that a good burnout cant fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
Nothing comes close to the Adreline rush an RTR Series can give in a 0-60km run. Even the famed R15 is actually bit slow till 50km after which it runs like there is no tomorrow!!

The Other bike which comes close here is the FZ, however, a sligtly slimmer tire would have really helped its cause here.

Just my 2 cents,
The part in bold is very true! Since i have used the R15 and FZ only for a few kms on a test ride, i will not comment on them but the P220 was a bike i owned for nearly 6 months and can compare with the RTR. The adrenaline rush in the RTR and the feel is much much better than the 220. The 220 was a good tourer though. I will take the RTR on a long ride shortly and will be able to comment further after the ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdna View Post
Here is a problem which I noticed from the past 2-3 days.
The next day, after riding around 6kms in the evening, when I slow down I noticed mild "tak, tak, tak...." sound
Please advice.
This sounds similar to the sound i was getting in my bike after a service. The culprit was found to be the chain fouling against the chain cover. My mechanic did some slight adjustments and viola the sound is gone.

Since the sound is from near the chain, get it checked at the SC. To prove your point run the bike for a few kms before you take it to the SC. In my case the mech took me along with him on the test ride and i told him exactly when the " tak tak tak" sound was coming. He also noticed it and zeroed it to the chain fouling with the chain cover.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks