Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2010, 13:24   #316
Senior - BHPian

@Danny, you've a same taste of mine. I was looking out for some help regarding the chrome works on the rear swing arm, drums, head, L brackets, engine covers & I find your job something what I dream off. I'd people telling me that don't even think of chroming & provided me various reasons. Since my rebuild might kick off in couple of weeks, appreciate if you can give me some pointers. But I'm really happy to look that chromed rear swing arm, light switches, clutch & front brake levers & how did you even silver coat the footrest. Simply loved your work.
Old 17th May 2010, 17:12   #317
BHPian

@danny2599,

Man... neat bike that. Except for the chrome bits. (Personal view)
However I got to say work done is really excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
don't even think of chroming & provided me various reasons.
I'll give you only one - Location (Chennai = Rust)
Old 17th May 2010, 18:29   #318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post
I'll give you only one - Location (Chennai = Rust)
Big NO if the work is done neatly. I've this CD100's rims on my RX that hasn't got even a single micron of rust for last 3 years while you can see minute spot of rusts on the OE handle bars after 4 years & the little chrome visible amidst of rust on the exhaust after I got it chromed in 2002. It all depends on the quality of chrome & again, it is prone to rust, but a good quality of work postpones the rust as much as possible.

Last edited by Rehaan : 22nd May 2010 at 15:57. Reason: Fixing quote.
Old 19th May 2010, 23:18   #319
BHPian

DAnny your bike looks very clean and neat with the plating. Dont you have a tough job in the rainy season keeping it dry and rust free. I was also thinking of painting my bike's rim to avoid the specks of rust .

Last edited by Chipz : 19th May 2010 at 23:20.
Old 20th May 2010, 01:26   #320
BHPian

chipz i appreciate your comments thank you.and i dont need to worry about the rain because for the 4 months of rainy season my bike never comes out of the garage.i dont take it out that's why its still very maintained
Old 20th May 2010, 01:44   #321
Senior - BHPian

@Danny - Try to get a pair of new C5's RVMS to add elegancy & more chromy look; incase you don't get the C5's RVM's, go for TBTS's RVM. Appreciate if you can share some details on the chrome job done. What I heard was, by chroming the parts, they increase the size by few mm & thus blocking the free movement on bolt-nut threads. Could you clarify this point pls?

PS - I use TBTS's RVM on my RX
Old 20th May 2010, 17:46   #322
BHPian

Quote:
Big NO if the work is done neatly.
I don't agree. My bike is 1997 Dec, it was shipped to Chennai Dec 2005. In that 8 years the rims, exhaust, handle, grab handle had 0 rust.
The engine casing and the front shocks paint was in good condition.

I had noobs (Who does't know anything about bikes) asking if my bike is "new model" when I brought it here to Chennai.

I kid you not.

Now I have specks of rust on the chrome bits and the paint from the shocks have peeled off.

Heck, my zen was rust free till it came to Chennai. Now it has a started bit by bit. My Bro Wagon-R (sold now) was the classic example of what Salty water and air can do.

Plus the extreme heat here kind of acts as a "catalyst".
Old 20th May 2010, 20:37   #323
Senior - BHPian

@YZFRJ - My point to convey was, be it Kerala or Kulalumpur any piece of iron/chrome is prone to rust, a good job will only prolong the rust. As you said, Chennai's weather is definitely a catalyst.
Old 21st May 2010, 17:21   #324
BHPian

Quote:
@YZFRJ - My point to convey was, be it Kerala or Kulalumpur any piece of iron/chrome is prone to rust, a good job will only prolong the rust. As you said, Chennai's weather is definitely a catalyst.
Taken from here- > What is Rust?

Quote:
The main catalyst for the rusting process is dihydrogen oxide, but we know it better as water. Iron or steel structures may appear solid, but water molecules can easily penetrate the microscopic pits and cracks in any exposed metal. The hydrogen atoms present in water can combine with other elements to form acids, which will eventually cause more metal to be exposed. If sodium is present, as is the case with saltwater, corrosion will likely occur more quickly. Meanwhile, the oxygen atoms combine with metallic atoms to form the destructive oxide compound. As the atoms combine they weaken the metal, making the structure brittle and
Chennai has salty air. Heat just speeds up the process.
I never said iron or plated parts will not rust, its only a matter of time.
And "time" depends on the proximity to sea, temperature, salinity in the air and water etc.
So it helps
Old 26th May 2010, 05:08   #325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipdrive View Post
here is the pic of the carbs: they are mikunis
IIRC, Jap RX, 86-87, had 'Made in Japan' embossed on the crank case cover and the carb too.

BTW, is that the fuel filter usually found in Hero Honda CD100/Splendor/etc?
And by any chance, is it fitted upside down?
These were pretty useless imho.
The disposable ones found in TVS Max/Samurais etc were quite good inspite of being very inexpensive.

Been ages since i used to ride- so please pardon me if wrong.
Old 1st June 2010, 22:59   #326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipz View Post
That is great, but where are the photos. longing to see it.
Finally learnt how to post pics here

And one slightly old with the original exhaust...
Attached Thumbnails
The Yamaha 'RX' Thread (with pics)-dsc_1185m.jpg  

The Yamaha 'RX' Thread (with pics)-dscn2273.jpg  

The Yamaha 'RX' Thread (with pics)-dsc_1171c.jpg  

The Yamaha 'RX' Thread (with pics)-dsc_1159c.jpg  

The Yamaha 'RX' Thread (with pics)-dsc_1201c.jpg  

Old 2nd June 2010, 20:31   #327
Senior - BHPian

@XH_Vee - Oh!!! God!!! good to see the mint vehicle (actually I'm stumbling for words due to joy)

So beautiful looking motorcycle & sad that YMI stopped manufacturing this anymore. Atleast they could've tested a probability with 2-strokes in controlled emissions (they did the catcon one, but somehow it didn't catch up with the mass).

Hope you still are able to get the genuine parts for this model. Thanks for sharing.
Old 2nd June 2010, 20:49   #328
BHPian

Quote:
@XH_Vee - Oh!!! God!!! good to see the mint vehicle (actually I'm stumbling for words due to joy)

So beautiful looking motorcycle & sad that YMI stopped manufacturing this anymore. Atleast they could've tested a probability with 2-strokes in controlled emissions (they did the catcon one, but somehow it didn't catch up with the mass).

Hope you still are able to get the genuine parts for this model. Thanks for sharing.
Believe it or not, I got her paying full cost 15 days in advance. There was no display vehicle in the showroom and when I asked for a broucher (after writing the cheque of the full amount) the guy in the showroom searched through his drawer for 20 mins and got me a postcard size photo. It was in Pune and that city doesn't even have any on the roads. At that time I did not care how she looked as long as the on-paper specs were correct.

But when I finally saw her - boy it was love at first sight! (I remember that was the last TV commercial of RX135)

Parts are a problem - especially the body parts. That's why you see the headlamp cowl missing. The service is also quite poor. Couple of years back, I busted the original Yamaha front disk brake master cylinder oil seal. And many mechanics in Bangalore told me I would have to change the entire disk brake kit + the front forks and install KBX kit. Finally I went to DTW in Bangalore. That guy not only repaired my bust seal but also got me another new kit (Master cylinder & Disk) from his stock. Now I have a spare set.

By the way my bike came with a cat-con exhaust. But I changed to a RX100 exhaust with a modded bend pipe. I have still retained the original 13.5 kg exhaust and lug it around with me wherever I go. But even with the non-catcon exhaust, my PUC levels are way below modern electronic ignition 4-strokers. And they are no match in performance as well
Old 2nd June 2010, 21:21   #329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by XH_Vee View Post
Parts are a problem - especially the body parts. That's why you see the headlamp cowl missing.
Yes, I'm aware. Trust me, you could find even parts for RX100, but not for this model. Reason being, low numbers in sale & YMIS doesn't find much takers for the parts. Same case with RXZ 4-speed old model without the disc brakes.

Quote:
The service is also quite poor.
Well, you could change the way Y.A.S.S behaves; anyway majority of Yamaha loyalist have the same opinion as you do.

Quote:
Couple of years back, I busted the original Yamaha front disk brake master cylinder oil seal. And many mechanics in Bangalore told me I would have to change the entire disk brake kit + the front forks and install KBX kit. Finally I went to DTW in Bangalore. That guy not only repaired my bust seal but also got me another new kit (Master cylinder & Disk) from his stock. Now I have a spare set.
Right; Y.A.S.S doesn't repair stuffs as they're instructed to replace the parts.

Quote:
But even with the non-catcon exhaust, my PUC levels are way below modern electronic ignition 4-strokers. And they are no match in performance as well
Why wouldn't I agree?
Old 9th June 2010, 18:19   #330
BHPian

My Yamaha RX-100

Model :1990
Restored:Oct 2009
Single owner since 1990
Completely stock,no change in appearence,engine etc.
Attached Thumbnails
The Yamaha 'RX' Thread (with pics)-yam2.jpg  

The Yamaha 'RX' Thread (with pics)-yam4.jpg  

Attached Images
File Type: bmp yam1.bmp (801.7 KB, 403 views)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks