Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2008, 20:50   #16
Senior - BHPian

Guys my mech used to source Shogun spares from Hosur on a regular basis and he often used to go over to Hosur. At that point of time my ride was an RX so i never really bothered to gather the details from were he gets the spares.

He even used to get new bore and piston kits but the pistons were not plasma coated (some kind of coating that was there on OE pistons Suzuki used to call it plasma coated) like the original shogun pistons.

Find a good garage where they do Suzukis rest getting spares and all will be managed by the mech. If someone can introduce you to a good workshop it will be an added advantage.
Old 15th September 2008, 06:58   #17
BHPian

@lancer & shogun,

Sure i would let you know once i get the details from him also found my old mechanic who is to good at all these bikes, previously i had a RX 100 which i sold as my brother wanted a unicorn he did the engine work and all was too good... I spoke to him and he told me that to completely restore it might cost me about 15 -17k and not to worry about the parts. I have asked the other friend of mine to get the details from hosur will buzz you once i get the details...
Old 15th September 2008, 19:10   #18
BHPian

The spares problem is why I didn't buy my SHOGUN back, but my mechanic restored my friend's shogun for him fully, but it was in his garage for almost 3-4 weeks.

CHEERS,
G D
Old 15th September 2008, 21:21   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by P180V1 View Post
The spares problem is why I didn't buy my SHOGUN back, but my mechanic restored my friend's shogun for him fully, but it was in his garage for almost 3-4 weeks.

CHEERS,
G D
same with my friends bike. if you are prepared for this and/or you have another ride and the shogun is just your fun bike then don't think twice. that is if shogun is something you really have set your heart on.
Old 16th September 2008, 09:08   #20
BHPian

@ss

that is correct, I always wanted to have a shogun for a long time it is just for fun.
i do have a unicorn, and 2 cars mostly travel by car. but some times at weekends like to take the shogun out...
Old 16th September 2008, 10:59   #21
BHPian

Hi Akeel,
I was owning a Shaolin for almost 5 years. When I bought the Shaolin, it clocked only 18,000 kms and I did some performance modifications. I rebored it with a .5piston and a performance filter available those days. My bike was doing fine and in 2005, one of my very close friend wanted to use that bike. By that time my bike's performance was not very great so he decided for a complete restoration.

From here onwards what I am going to tell share my experience which is applicable for Shoguns too. We bought a brand new engine assembly(Including New Bore and Piston, Clutch plates, Carburretor, gear box etc..). We ordered and got the stuff from TVS's Hosur factory. After shelling our almost 20,000 for the bike, it was on the road. But what we have experienced is the worst in my entire life. My Shaolin was performing like a Max100. We were dead angry and we thought the dealers gave us duplicate spare parts. We had a big fight with the dealership and finally they called the Hosur factory and we got a confirmation that all parts were original.
So what went wrong?? We consulted different mechanics and people with experience in owning shoguns or shaolins. Later we realized that ANY OF THE BRAND NEW SPARE PARTS YOU GET IN MARKET TODAY DOESN'T HAVE THE QUALITY OF WHAT TVS WERE OFFERING DURING SUZUKI COLLABORATION. By all that said, buying and shelling alot of money will not give u a sexy Shogun. The best way is to find one which doesn't need too much of money to restore.

What I have written is my own experience and during the investigation we conducted to know what went wrong, we found other people also with the same experience. In my personal opinion, Shogun is the best 100 cc bike with all those 14bhp power and sexy beat. Why Yamahas are so famous not because (I had a Yamaha 5speed with rebored piston, K&N, Disc brakes and free flow exhaust) they perform better than XX Enduras, KB 100s or Shoguns but because of a simple fact that they have better build quality and easy to maintain. U will never have a head ache in finding spare parts.

eg: If u want to change the clutch plate of a Yamaha RX 100 or 135, go and get the originals from Yamaha. But the same originals from TVS which is suitable for Max 100 doesnt have equal quality. So u will end with a Max100 with alot of noise (It will have power but will be performing asif u are using Kerosine to run it).

Oh my God!! I have written an essay. I have told u things which I experiened. If u love shoguns u get one which was maintained decently to avoid troubles.

Disclaimer: what i have told is my own experience. I am not claiming that I know everything about Suzukis and Yamaha. If anyone in this forum have solutions to overcome the issues I discussed plases share it since it will be useful for everyone.
Old 16th September 2008, 12:27   #22
BHPian

Why Yamahas are so famous not because (I had a Yamaha 5speed with rebored piston, K&N, Disc brakes and free flow exhaust) they perform better than XX Enduras, KB 100s or Shoguns

I totally disagree with you my friend. It means you never driven a fully ported shogun!

cheers
Old 25th September 2008, 00:16   #23
BHPian

Dear Lancer&Shogun I told
"YAMAHAS ARE FAMOUS NOT BECAUSE THEY PERFORM BETTER THAN SHOGUNS
that means I was not disagreeing with the performance factor. What I pointed out is the build quality part
Old 25th September 2008, 06:56   #24
BHPian

Hi. Try out the DTW. Though a little pricey, DTW will arrange all the parts with least hassles. BTW, Zen motors is good too.

-Harshavardhan
Old 25th September 2008, 08:18   #25
BHPian

@harshavardhan

would you please pass me on there contact number or the location??
Old 25th September 2008, 11:35   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gears2go View Post
Dear Lancer&Shogun I told
"YAMAHAS ARE FAMOUS NOT BECAUSE THEY PERFORM BETTER THAN SHOGUNS
that means I was not disagreeing with the performance factor. What I pointed out is the build quality part
So you mean to say:

1. Yahamas are performing better than shogun &
2. Yahamas has better quality part than shogun

anyway have a nice day!!!
Old 25th September 2008, 16:04   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer&shogun View Post
So you mean to say:

1. Yahamas are performing better than shogun &
2. Yahamas has better quality part than shogun

anyway have a nice day!!!
Why are you hell bent on reading between the lines pal? I think he said "Yamahas are not popular BECAUSE they perform better than Shogun BUT because they are built better".

I tend to agree with that statement. I have never owned a Yamaha but I did own a Shogun albeit for a short period of time and I still have that flame burning inside me to buy a Shogun in pristine condition.

That said, you cannot deny the fact that the RX100's are still running strong with almost all parts easily available and there are hardly any Shoguns that are in original shape anymore. Even when the bike was new, it had issues with body panels coming loose, rattling, braking issues etc.

Only wish TVS had paid more attention to this model.
Old 26th September 2008, 10:37   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
Why are you hell bent on reading between the lines pal? I think he said "Yamahas are not popular BECAUSE they perform better than Shogun BUT because they are built better".

I tend to agree with that statement. I have never owned a Yamaha but I did own a Shogun albeit for a short period of time and I still have that flame burning inside me to buy a Shogun in pristine condition.

That said, you cannot deny the fact that the RX100's are still running strong with almost all parts easily available and there are hardly any Shoguns that are in original shape anymore. Even when the bike was new, it had issues with body panels coming loose, rattling, braking issues etc.

Only wish TVS had paid more attention to this model.
If you can see the title of this thread (SUZUKI SHOGUN) so contribute some ideas to the owner of this thread to get rid of his problem. If you want to praise the Yamaha(100,135....) pls open a New thread and discuss there. cheers:
Old 26th September 2008, 10:41   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeel View Post
@harshavardhan

would you please pass me on there contact number or the location??
Akeel, even i heard Zen motors are doing a good job. If it is possible can we go there since i'm new to bangalore!

cheers
Old 27th September 2008, 22:28   #30
BHPian

@lancer&shogun

Sure i will pm you when i am going there so you can also join me.
The owner is yet to be back, once he is then we can go there.

Most Viewed