Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2008, 20:48   #1
BHPian

Suzuki Shogun.

Hi All,

I have been looking for a shogun for about a year now and today i found one finally but have some questions about this.

This is a 3 owner bike, no insurance, DRC the owner is quoting about 7k for this but the bike needs a complete work done from the engine.

The tank, tank shields, head unit is of shaolin, but in the RC book it is mentioned it is a suzuki shogun and also as per my knowledge shaolin came with a 5 speed gear box, where as the shogun was 4 speed and yes this is 4 speed gear box...

Now the question is it worth paying 7k for this bike keeping in mind that complete work needs to be done... also are the spares still available..

need help bikers.....
Old 10th September 2008, 23:07   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeel View Post
Hi All,

I have been looking for a shogun for about a year now and today i found one finally but have some questions about this.

This is a 3 owner bike, no insurance, DRC the owner is quoting about 7k for this but the bike needs a complete work done from the engine.

The tank, tank shields, head unit is of shaolin, but in the RC book it is mentioned it is a suzuki shogun and also as per my knowledge shaolin came with a 5 speed gear box, where as the shogun was 4 speed and yes this is 4 speed gear box...

Now the question is it worth paying 7k for this bike keeping in mind that complete work needs to be done... also are the spares still available..

need help bikers.....
I think you would need to churn out around 20k to 25k to bring it back to top notch condition.
Original spares are difficult to find at least in delhi.
I think its worth 5k.
Is it still running?
Old 10th September 2008, 23:24   #3
BHPian

akeel i am in punjab otherwise u can take a look at my shogun its for sale .its a 96 model done about 31k, running condition everything stock. i recently bought r15 and can't ride 2 bikes simultaneously so shogun for sale. onlything missing on my shogun is headlight fairing
Old 11th September 2008, 08:18   #4
BHPian

@maxj2005,

Thank you,

It is still in running condition but will have to be restored completely, spoke to some of the service center yesterday and they say it could be done in about 10k to 15k....

@rupinder

Thank you,
I am from bangalore so might be a little difficult to get it out here transfer it to my name, NOC, shipping and stuff... please send me the price details will check it...

today evening i would be going to the service center with the bike to check before had as to how much would it cost for a full restore.
Old 11th September 2008, 10:04   #5
BHPian

I have a SHOGUN for sale if you're interested call me on 98451 23554. More info can be given on phone.

CHEERS,
G D
Old 11th September 2008, 14:38   #6
BHPian

I am a shogun-bhakt and inspite of that will say not more than 4-5K for the condition you describe it to be in.
also depends on whether the bike rides perectly with no chassis or steering or swingarm issues, etc etc.
Also make sure bike has no case against it or anything with the local RTO/police station and make sure all nos on bike match the papers.
One friend had sold his stand-still Shaolin for as low as 2.5K as it had become more of a burden.
Also check the month and year of registration- 15 years get over very fast you know.

A good bike usually has all papers in order- a lot of hanky panky may have happened when bike changes several hands and ends up not in a good condition.

Redoing a Shogun is pretty expensive and will easily cost you much more than 25K, provided you get all oem parts.
eg. RX do pretty ok on worked upon cranks with spare parts available but Shogun/Shaolin demand new, original cranks.
It costed us 25K in 2000/2001 to restore a totally rundown Shaolin to almost stock condition- that too we didn't work upon the cosmetics much.
Availaibility of genuine spares is very dicey and those who can provide charge a fair amount extra.

If you are that keen on owning a Shogun and keeping it, i will suggest waiting for the right bike/seller.
Bike better be as good as possible and the papers all in order, preferably not more than one owner.
Usually good bikes are like that, with the seller preferring not to sell but having to do so due to unavoidable circumstances.

Last edited by BIKeINSTEIN : 11th September 2008 at 14:41.
Old 11th September 2008, 16:03   #7
BHPian

dude was that shaolin in running condition. because i have a shaolin myself which hasn't been run in more than a year and won't start. it will require a restoration though i'm not sure what all this will involve right now - i'll have to open it out first and then see. i'm toying with any one of these options ATM
1) going ahead with restoration
2) looking for an RX (Z hopefully) and modding it
3) looking for a junked RX engine and doing a transplant though this would be quite complicated.

@ TS: shoguns should be selling for quite low and from what you describe, the bike is probably shagged and shouldn't be an exception to that rule.
Old 11th September 2008, 22:25   #8
BHPian

Hi All,

Thank you for that, I went there today and to started the bike and it started in 2 kicks, took it to the service center guys and they have quoted a price of 10k to fully restore it, is it worth that money or should i want and see if i can get some thing of a single hand used bike may be i would have to wait for some more time...
not sure what to do...... please suggest
Old 11th September 2008, 23:26   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

Thank you for that, I went there today and to started the bike and it started in 2 kicks, took it to the service center guys and they have quoted a price of 10k to fully restore it, is it worth that money or should i want and see if i can get some thing of a single hand used bike may be i would have to wait for some more time...
not sure what to do...... please suggest
BTW which showroom is this? the best by far for a shogun would be zen TVS near BMS college. go to them and get a quote from them too. if it's 10-15k even 20k i think that is decent to restore a shogun. my friend got his restored (not sure where though) a month ago for 30k. but i highly recommend zen motors if you go for it.
Old 12th September 2008, 18:44   #10
BHPian

@p180vn

I will give you a call some time later and check out the bike...

@ silver shadow

Thank you i will check with them a later as the owner of the bike has gone to chennai for some work and once he is back let me check..

Thank you
Old 12th September 2008, 20:19   #11
BHPian

yes please take the bike to zen , they are rally professionals .
Old 12th September 2008, 20:48   #12
BHPian

Please note that apart from the money it is going to cost you, the parts for the shogun are not available easily either. I realised this while restoring a Shogun for myself and finally had to sell it despite bringing it back to stock shape cosmetically.

Some critical parts like engine head/assembly, clutch, etc were just not available in the market and after hunting around for months, we had to compromise and use oversized pistons and a Suzuki Max 100 R clutch (I know... yuck!)

This is how my bike looked when I sold it off for 9K.

Suzuki Shogun.-sri-017.jpg

@ silver_shadow: I did not mean to de-grade the Shaolin, the Yuck! was for the Max 100R clutch, since it was not a proper match for the Shogun and ended up affecting the performance.

Last edited by quicksilver : 12th September 2008 at 21:03. Reason: response to silver_shadow added
Old 12th September 2008, 20:55   #13
BHPian

the story goes that they are the ones who modded the shaolin and showcased what could be done with it to TVS. it was then that TVS became serious about entering drags with that crazy shaolin. the rest as they say is history.

@ QS: dude i thought the shogun and shaolin share the same clutch! and i'm not sure what's yuck about the shaolin clutch. perhaps you aren't aware that the shaolin is the one with more potential in it.

EDIT: in fact it turns out that the shogun/shaolin/ax100/samurai/fiero ALL share the same clutch man!

Last edited by silver_shadow : 12th September 2008 at 21:03.
Old 14th September 2008, 08:13   #14
BHPian

@QS that is very good looking shogun.

you sold it for 9K

I had checked with one if my fried who in hosur and he told me that spares are available out there. but again let me check when the owner is back so that i can take the bike to zen and ask them about the spares.

Thank you all
Old 14th September 2008, 20:04   #15
BHPian

Quote:
@QS that is very good looking shogun.

you sold it for 9K

I had checked with one if my fried who in hosur and he told me that spares are available out there. but again let me check when the owner is back so that i can take the bike to zen and ask them about the spares.

Thank you all
hey akeel, i've also planned to overhaul the complete engine. Can you pls let me know where can i find the shogun spares in bangalore or hosur. I'm currently at bangalore.

cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks