Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2008, 11:19   #16
Senior - BHPian

People should understand that stretch is not for drag racing. Unfortunately, young people like the 2 people killed y'day with head on collusion with truck, has that adrenaline rush and think that they can do anything and everything.

The drag racing should be done only in stand alone stretches which has less traffic (though not recommended) or on the specific ground where it is meant for these type of racers.

Unfortunately 2 lives are lost and that too at a very young age. We also need to tihink about the parents who has brought us up all these years and just to get killed like this is no meaning.
Old 29th September 2008, 11:30   #17
BHPian

Guyz there was no drag or racing at all its just that these guyz maintain min 120km/hr on there every weekend rides, they all meet at nice road junction and in the next 20 - 30 mins they would be sipping cappucino at maddur ccd which is approximately 90kms away.
Old 29th September 2008, 11:48   #18
Senior - BHPian

Did anyone even read it properly before blaming the bikers?

Quote:
they overtook a lorry, and failed to see another lorry approaching from the opposite direction.
What business did the lorry have coming in the opposite direction. Its a 4 lane road with a big divider in the middle. The lorry should have been on the other side of the divider. That lorry driver should have been punished for this. As for the bikers... let the poor blokes rest in peace.
Old 29th September 2008, 11:52   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praJEEP View Post
Guyz there was no drag or racing at all its just that these guyz maintain min 120km/hr on there every weekend rides, they all meet at nice road junction and in the next 20 - 30 mins they would be sipping cappucino at maddur ccd which is approximately 90kms away.
I was speaking about the below takenf rom today's TOI edition, Bangalore:

2 drag racers ram into truck, die on the spot

TIMES NEWS NETWORK
Bangalore: A rush of adrenaline, machines flying at a wild 130 kmph, a smooth tarmac — it is the dream of every youngster who wants to be the next Valentino Rossi. But these two young men paid with their lives for a fractional slip in concentration.
Naren Kumar and Varun, both 20, were cruising on their modified motorbikes
on the Bangalore-Mysore Road, at around 6 am. Close to Banandur cross near Bidadi railway bridge, they overtook a lorry, and failed to see another lorry approaching from the opposite direction. Unable to control their vehicles, they rammed into the lorry and died on the spot. The racers were zipping towards a coffee outlet at Maddur, which has become a popular hang-out for Bangalore’s young crowd.
Varun and Naren were students of Ghousia College in the city, and were staying on Bannerghatta Road.
With the city’s roads jampacked from morning to night, the popular stretches are Bangalore-Mysore highway, Bellary Road, BMIC Road connecting Kanakapura Road and others. Police dismiss it as a menace, and have arrested a number of racers in the past to keep highway accidents in check.
In a city which shuts off the lights early, it is common to find youngsters heading out for parties, and many are drunk when they return in the early morning hours.
Sunny Gulati was one such reveller returning on Sunday. Overspeeding on his bike, he rammed a parked truck near Chikkajala, and died. Sunny (24), an engineer with an MNC firm, was a resident of BTM Layout.
He and friends partied all night, after which they decided to ride up to Nandi Hills at 3.30 am to view the sunrise. On the way, a drunken Sunny rammed the truck.

WHAT IS A DRAG RACE?

A competition in which two vehicles race to the finish line over a straight, measured distance, usually from a dead stop. The standard distances are roughly 402 m, 301 m or 201 m. Cars and bikes are used in this sport common in America and Canada. Also popular in Australia, New Zealand, Japan, the Caribbean, United Kingdom, South Africa, and the Scandinavian countries. In Bangalore, it is not an organized sport; racers take to the track for the thrill of racing.

FAVE STRETCHES

BMIC Road connecting Kanakapura Road-Mysore Road

Peripheral Ring Road connecting Mysore Road-Tumkur Road

Mysore-Bangalore highway

Bellary Road
Old 29th September 2008, 11:55   #20
BHPian

First of all, I feel sorry for them.

It is not a new thing which is happening and nothing s going to change! This incident is not going to change the mentality of most of the riders (who want to show off with their DAD's gift). Next Sunday morning, you will see a lot of them riding to Maddur CCD, at excess 120 kmph.

@Psycho... I completely agree.

I presume that the truck involved in the accident was on the wrong side of the road. We get to see a lot of trucks/buses like that on highways. It seems no one is bothered to write about it.

Edit: @reignofchaos... That s exactly what I said.

Last edited by TomRider : 29th September 2008 at 11:57.
Old 29th September 2008, 11:56   #21
Senior - BHPian

Well the media is known for the bull crap they write, I really wouldnt want to go by the news and speculate on what really happened.
Sad to know that young lives have been lost in such a tragedy.
Old 29th September 2008, 11:59   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The Maddur CCD is turning out to be dangerous place to visit, just because of the road.
Yes, many have got to the coffin before they got to the coffee.

:(
Old 29th September 2008, 12:03   #23
BHPian

For Bangaloreans who crawl in city traffic everyday, just seeing a wide road with a median provides enough reason to floor it.
I have myself driven fast on Mysore Road, but not like a maniac. Even the best driver in the world cannot foresee a truck parked round a corner.
Feels really bad to see young chaps lose their lives for a few seconds of cheap thrills. The problem with two wheelers is that even though for that last fraction of a second you know you are going to crash and die, there's nothing you can do.
The cops are always fire-fighting and not taking any steps whatsoever to prevent such accidents.
Old 29th September 2008, 12:05   #24
BHPian

I have observed that bangalore-mysore road is in noway can be called highway, the nearby villagers have made it just another public road(only potholes are missing) where tractors, cattle and people move around as if it is their backyard. Blame should go to those two birdheads for trying out their stupid skills on that road. This incident should help other bikers of same mentality to wake up.

Let their souls RIP.
Old 29th September 2008, 12:14   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
I was speaking about the below takenf rom today's TOI edition, Bangalore:

I know that crap report, btw did you ever notice that had they mentioned that the lorry was on the wrong side of the road, they are only cribbing about those bikers blahh blahhh. poor chaps may there souls rest in peace.

P.S My previous post was never indicated towards you thats the reason i mentoined the term Guyz .

@ madhu could you please elaborate what kind of stupid skills where the bikers doing ??

Last edited by praJEEP : 29th September 2008 at 12:25.
Old 29th September 2008, 12:24   #26
Senior - BHPian

@praJEEP: Cool dude. I do not take these things to my mind. Was discussing just what was said in paper.

Yeah, is does not mention about the lorry which side he was driving and nobody knows what happened to the lorry driver. whether ran away or stayed there till police arrived. This stretch has lot of lorry traffic carrying the sand. Howmuch ever you honk for us to give the way, they will just drive on the same RHS in 20~30 kmph.

But all said and done, is it right on these guys to drive like that in Mysore Road in 120~130kmph? Everybody knows how much traffic is there on that road and that too it was a weekend.

Last edited by snaronikar : 29th September 2008 at 12:25.
Old 29th September 2008, 12:30   #27
BHPian

This term "drag racing" seems to be used in a very wrong way by the media. Its bad for the sport too. May God give strength to the parents and loved ones of the boys. Just out of curiosty does anyone know what bikes were these guys riding?
Old 29th September 2008, 12:40   #28
Team-BHP Support

Life on two wheels always carries a certain element of risk, especially while you're riding highways.
You could always be right and inch perfect, but there lies a chance that a fellow motorist could wrong you, and that too very unknowingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by praJEEP View Post
these guyz maintain min 120km/hr on there every weekend rides, they all meet at nice road junction and in the next 20 - 30 mins they would be sipping cappucino at maddur ccd which is approximately 90kms away.
Nothing personal, but don't you sound like just another media guy? Lets not speculate without knowing facts, atleast your numbers above make no practical sense for right now. Two young lives are lost, and nothing can be changed with respect to that.
May their families and loved ones find strength to cope with this terrible loss.

manson.
Old 29th September 2008, 12:46   #29
Senior - BHPian

Read the second page of the newspaper. Makes me go after the media persons and kill them all.

RIP blokes.
Old 29th September 2008, 12:54   #30
BHPian

My bad. I noticed the flaw in the report after posting my message, how can a lorry come from opposite direction when there is a big median in between. Either the lorry was trying to take turn or the lorry driver is retarded to move in wrong direction.

@praJEEP, doing 3 digit speeds with the bike on mysore road itself seems stupid, even I do frequent MCD, not trying to generalize but i had chance of see some young kids riding recklessly endangering theirs and others lives.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks