Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2009, 21:16   #46
BHPian

My heart goes out to the parents and friends of the two kids , I only blame the administration - driving a heavy vehicle requires great amount of skill and logic and its hightime we respect the lives of people and have a Commercial driver's license training program like it is done in the west. The drivers who are poor and uneducated will be lacking in many respects and its time this was changed, the owners of these commercial vehicles make a killing in terms of profits.
Old 27th January 2009, 21:55   #47
Senior - BHPian

Really sad incident.

Last week, I was going up the ramp on Richmond circle flyover. There was a oil tanker moving slowly on the left lane. I was on the right lane just behind to pass it. Suddenly, a biker decided to get in between and overtake the tanker. If I had not braked hard, it could have been.."A car hit the bike from behind and .."

Two wheelers are not really safe on our roads. How many time you have to honk and brake at them for veering in front of you ?
Old 27th January 2009, 22:18   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyb View Post
I was about to overtake from left (yes - technically its wrong) - suddenly he veered to the left and I thot Wow - he gave me way - only to my surprise - a bullock cart was coming towards us - that too on the right most lane - supposedly the fast lane.
Bullock carts on the wrong side of the road are a serious menace on Mysore road. I have come across many such morons while i was travelling along this road.
Old 28th January 2009, 09:40   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Bullock carts on the wrong side of the road are a serious menace on Mysore road. I have come across many such morons while i was travelling along this road.
Benny just think of my plight man. I drive to Mysore every weekend and find these sort of morons in all shapes and sizes. Absolutely no remorse for oncoming traffic or other peoples lives.

Just yesterday morning while driving back an Innova had a near miss. Both of us were doing speeds of around 120-140kmph coz the road was relatively empty.He's been tailing me for about 20kms or so now and has lost patience.

Now there's a bus ahead of me and he decides not to give me way. The dude in the innova veers to my left and then floors the pedal on the curve. I am still following the bus and then I hear a loud screech.

A tractor is parked on the extreme left lane with a load of hay. Its still dark and therez no ways anyone could even make out if there a vehicle parked there. The hay in the tractor acted as the cushion for the innova, else all 4 occupants would have been history by now. They had the brains to wear their seat belts and drive.

I some times dread at the very thought of driving on our state or national highways duh !!

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 28th January 2009 at 09:41.
Old 28th January 2009, 10:59   #50
BANNED

now ull c more enforcement on these roads...but how to enforce some village idiots
Old 28th January 2009, 11:57   #51
BHPian

Eye-witness..................

This incident happened when 10 of us were rolling on Bangalore - Mysore highway enroute Maddur .
The lead rider was fed up with the traffic situation and started weaving lanes to cut traffic - wrong move. I was second to lead but I overtook with precaution. After successfully overtaking a couple of cars came the trucks.
There were two trucks occupying both lanes of the highway, my friend as usual took the faster lane(right lane), the truck on the right lane came to an abrupt halt with no visual or electrical indicatons whatsoever. Having no space to overtake between the two trucks and also hardly 10 metres to come to a halt from 80, the biker went into the truck sending the pillion flying. The pilllion and the rider were run over the head by the slower lane truck . The rider's face was intact because he wore a helmet. The pillion rider's parents did not want to look at his face because it was so disfigured and all internals were dangling.

Unfortunately, both did not live to tell the tale.
All this happened in a matter of seconds, I was just behind them and saw the whole thing happen. Could'nt sleep for nights together, sometimes still get nightmares of the accident. From then on I'm promoting safe-biking amongst friends and relatives.

PS : Naren was my close friend and a good rider, he always rode with helmet & gloves before helmets were made mandatory in B'lore.

We complained to TOI the very day of the allegations and the next day a apology was printed which was so well disguised that even we failed to acknowledge it.
Old 28th January 2009, 19:26   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_666 View Post
This incident happened when 10 of us were rolling on Bangalore - Mysore highway enroute Maddur .
The lead rider was fed up with the traffic situation and started weaving lanes to cut traffic - wrong move. I was second to lead but I overtook with precaution. After successfully overtaking a couple of cars came the trucks.
There were two trucks occupying both lanes of the highway, my friend as usual took the faster lane(right lane), the truck on the right lane came to an abrupt halt with no visual or electrical indicatons whatsoever. Having no space to overtake between the two trucks and also hardly 10 metres to come to a halt from 80, the biker went into the truck sending the pillion flying. The pilllion and the rider were run over the head by the slower lane truck . The rider's face was intact because he wore a helmet. The pillion rider's parents did not want to look at his face because it was so disfigured and all internals were dangling.

Unfortunately, both did not live to tell the tale.
All this happened in a matter of seconds, I was just behind them and saw the whole thing happen. Could'nt sleep for nights together, sometimes still get nightmares of the accident. From then on I'm promoting safe-biking amongst friends and relatives.

PS : Naren was my close friend and a good rider, he always rode with helmet & gloves before helmets were made mandatory in B'lore.

We complained to TOI the very day of the allegations and the next day a apology was printed which was so well disguised that even we failed to acknowledge it.
scary!

folks need to take safety more seriously in india than in other countries. you have to assume that the other guy is an idiot (visible to you or about to pop out of nowhere) and will make a mistake any moment and be doubly cautious. it's easy to say it and we may slip up but at least give it a try.
Old 13th April 2011, 17:10   #53

Re: Crash On Mysore Road.. :(

Guys,

You would not believe it. I am alarmed at the rate of accidents that i come across when i travel on the Mysore Bangalore road. I drive every weekend.

Two weeks back when i was driving back to Bangalore from Mysore on a Monday morning, i see that there is a santro that facing opposite to me. I am on the fast lane. I slowed down and notice that the car has a smashed windshield and a blown tyre. There were a couple of bikes thrown around. One adjacen to the car and another behind it.

I was praying first for the bike riders and then i see that there is a person lying on the road and he did not seem to be moving. It was a bad scene.

That day and a couple of days after that were completely ruined.

Like that wasn't enough, when i was on the same road the day before yesterday, i see that a car has ploughed into a field on the other side of the road. That vehicle was almost vertical.

I urge people to please follow lane discipline, wear helmets and all protective gear. When you are on a vehicle, you have a lot of power under your control. Please use this power responsibly.
Old 13th April 2011, 17:49   #54
BHPian

I have lost 1 of my office colleague in such an accident on Mysore Road so very well can understand the grief and sorrow of the close frieds and relatives.

Have seen many a post about authorities should regulate and etc. Let me narrate an incident.

Due to my work some 1.5 years back i used to come back home around 3 AM in the night. That day was no different than any other day. I was in my Logan and was driving on the Mysore Road Flyover (KR Market). Even though the stretch was empty i made it a habbit of not crossing 70Kmph at any time. Just over KR Market, you can see a bend in the road ( with a junction for vehicles from Market to join in).A loaded truck was somewhere in the middle of the road and i asked for side with dipper as well as horn this #$%$@# truck driver gave me side at the very bend. I pressed the accelarator to take over and as i was in the middle of the manouver what do i see? A Bike coming from the opposite side and that too on a Flyover!! I ramned on the brakes with only 1 thing in mind to save the "pour" riders and the vehicle stopped with a screaching noise just mm from the bike and without touching the truck (Lucky Me).

I lower my window only to realise that the bike was that of Police doing routine round in the night. If i would have hit them ..phew!!

And heights is yet to come, the "riders" approach me asking if I am drunk to drive like this!!! Finally after a short conversation they realised that i am coming back from office and the mistake was solely theirs.

I just narrated this incident to highlight that those who are expected to maintain law & order are the biggest violator of the same.

Last edited by soumobakshi : 13th April 2011 at 17:51. Reason: spelling
Old 13th April 2011, 18:06   #55
Senior - BHPian

While coming back from Ooty - Mysore to Bangalore on 8th of April, 2011 near Maddur I saw badly mangled bike and two badly injured person in the Maddur town itself. Lots of blood on road. It was very scary. Crowds already gathered and they were taking care of. One ambulance was rushing from opposite direction.

There was one more incident I saw on road. It was not fatal. A bus touched Tata Ace and Tata Ace people were taking course of bus driver.

This is not the first time I saw in Mysore road. Whenever you see that traffic is piled up unexpectedly, you can think of some accident on the road.

Day by day number of accidents on Mysore road are increasing.
Old 13th April 2011, 18:24   #56
BHPian

There are different problems here. Speeding and reckless driving and riding compounded by zero enforcement of discipline for pedestrians. To get around this, more and more speed breakers are introduced on the roads. It is tough to enforce road manners on jay walkers and pedestrians at large, so we bring in more and more obstacles(speed breakers) to make traffic slower so that "pedestrians" using the road the wrong way escape getting killed.

This is serious stupidity. Strict punishment and correct road building are the need of the hour and not breakers. I feel pedestrian punishment has to be really stringent for jay walking and wild road behaviour.

Construction work on roads are carried out in the most careless manner and diversions are put up even after work has been finished. Creates confusion and is a death trap.

What I am trying to bring out is that you really don't need to speed and drive recklessly to get killed with the situation on the roads. Only a massive law and order effort can cure this. Public at large are also equally to blame. The speed bumps on Mysore road are just killer obstacles. You dont need to be doing 160 clicks to get killed. They are unscientific, unreasonable and utterly foolish. Have seen many cases of vehicles losing control after hitting unseen breakers and launching themselves into others.
There should be no rich and poor and flexibility for the villager and his bullock cart etc allowed. On the road, a rule is a rule.
Old 13th April 2011, 19:03   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by megazoid View Post
There are different problems here. Speeding and reckless driving and riding compounded by zero enforcement of discipline for pedestrians. To get around this, more and more speed breakers are introduced on the roads. It is tough to enforce road manners on jay walkers and pedestrians at large, so we bring in more and more obstacles(speed breakers) to make traffic slower so that "pedestrians" using the road the wrong way escape getting killed.

This is serious stupidity. Strict punishment and correct road building are the need of the hour and not breakers. I feel pedestrian punishment has to be really stringent for jay walking and wild road behaviour.

Construction work on roads are carried out in the most careless manner and diversions are put up even after work has been finished. Creates confusion and is a death trap.

What I am trying to bring out is that you really don't need to speed and drive recklessly to get killed with the situation on the roads. Only a massive law and order effort can cure this. Public at large are also equally to blame. The speed bumps on Mysore road are just killer obstacles. You dont need to be doing 160 clicks to get killed. They are unscientific, unreasonable and utterly foolish. Have seen many cases of vehicles losing control after hitting unseen breakers and launching themselves into others.
There should be no rich and poor and flexibility for the villager and his bullock cart etc allowed. On the road, a rule is a rule.
I completely agree with you!! These are the few reasons I refrain doing any rides on this stretch. There are numerous speed breakers(call it neck-breakers!) that is not possible to see until the last moment especially during twilight. Lot of localites in this stretch choose to ride/drive the wrong way and have the audacity to curse and speed over 50kmph!! Bikers, my sincere request to avoid night rides on this stretch. We have maniacs all over the place.
Old 13th April 2011, 20:20   #58
Senior - BHPian

Mysore road has got killer tag long time back and unfortunately it has maintained the same, still remember my uncles narrating incidents 20+years back, itseems people used to faer to venture in the night...
Old 13th April 2011, 20:31   #59
Senior - BHPian

While coming back to Bengaluru in Bus on sunday evenings, you can see so many vehicles rushing ahead trying to overtake one another. The bad thing is even two wheelers do the same thing.
Old 13th April 2011, 21:14   #60
BHPian

I have been doing the mysore-bangalore strech for the last 7-8 years in both car and bike,based on experience always be wary between 6AM - 8 AM (lots of farm equipment, bullock etc) and in the twilight (6PM till 7:30PM).

I'm not saying other times are safe but these times are not good times for doing 100+ for sure..
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks