Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2009, 20:12   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
sure man respect that but i cherish reliablility over the originality some times. cause if you use the premix you would never need to bother about the Oilpump.
desideep your point is well taken and appreciated. I will keep it as an option only if thats inevitable......

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan666 View Post
Thanks Anjan, you can take a look at it if you click on my garage ! Will also try to post a few pics of it in this thread !
Kannan666 its an excellent 1987 Jap bike. The carrier used to be appended behind the seat- its there. Though one suggestion- why don't you get the black painted parts chrome plated (chain cover in silver aluminum paint)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Absolutely agree with that one! I like to keep everything exactly as it is... unless there is an EXTREMELY good reason to do otherwise. And if something dosen't work perfectly the way it is, then I'd prefer to get rid of it...
Raccoon fully agree with you!
Old 14th June 2009, 09:09   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Kannan666 its an excellent 1987 Jap bike. The carrier used to be appended behind the seat- its there. Though one suggestion- why don't you get the black painted parts chrome plated (chain cover in silver aluminum paint)?
That actually is a long story. During my college days (yes, quite a long time ago !), I never liked all the shiny stuff that came on the bike and prefered to have most of the bike in black, so got the chain cover, indicators and rear grab rail with carrier painted in black and also changed the chrome mudguard with a black fibreglass one.

Had to change the original headlight which had a chrome ring to the one which came on Yezdi's for brighter light since the RX still came with 6V electricals and I could not get a halogen bulb that fitted the holder of the RX headlight way back then.

Had also run the bike with the RD350 dashboard (black twin pods with a tachometer with indication lights in a small console between the two pods) but have changed back to the original one now when the odo meters rematched after 1L kms !

Like you and many others have suggested, should probably try and restore all the chrome back. Still have the original front mudguard and the headlight.
Old 14th June 2009, 20:25   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That actually is a long story. During my college days (yes, quite a long time ago !), I never liked all the shiny stuff that came on the bike and prefered to have most of the bike in black, so got the chain cover, indicators and rear grab rail with carrier painted in black and also changed the chrome mudguard with a black fibreglass one.

Had to change the original headlight which had a chrome ring to the one which came on Yezdi's for brighter light since the RX still came with 6V electricals and I could not get a halogen bulb that fitted the holder of the RX headlight way back then.

Had also run the bike with the RD350 dashboard (black twin pods with a tachometer with indication lights in a small console between the two pods) but have changed back to the original one now when the odo meters rematched after 1L kms !

Like you and many others have suggested, should probably try and restore all the chrome back. Still have the original front mudguard and the headlight.
Its logical Kannan, we all try to modify our bikes and cars when too young to suit our then youthful and exuberant tastes.
Rather most of us have passed through this phase.
In 2008, when no 6 Volt battery was available in the market, I was unwillingly compelled to modify my bike's electricals to 12V. The headlight is a bit more powerful and the horn sounds louder. Earlier with the 6V when turn indicators were used the horn sounded feeble and even croaked sometimes.Not so now.
Is your bike with its original 6 V or 12 V electricals ?
Old 15th June 2009, 10:44   #34
Senior - BHPian

Sadly it is still with the original 6V system which IMHO is very poor when it comes to lighting up the road. However, as far as reliability is concerned, it is still tops, am still running it with all the original switches and wiring.
Old 15th June 2009, 14:24   #35

Quote:
No way, I cherish originality in any automobile as long as it is practicable.
Anjan, I agree with desideep on going premix, though the reason may be different!

I own a 1998 RX-135 and used to faithfully maintain proper oil levels till I experienced engine seizure attributed to a faulty oil pump. According to many people I've spoken to, even a small speck of dirt in the pump can shut the supply of oil and end up being fatal. It is therefore a safer option in my opinion. If you use premix, your 2T oil tank and oil pump have no role in the running of your engine.

I also know of many people who have used their oil tanks without any problems for years, so it's ultimately a matter of personal choice!
Old 15th June 2009, 17:15   #36
Senior - BHPian

^^^ So make sure you keep the the system clean! Thats why I fill the oil tank myself, in the most finicky way possible. Have not let any mechanic even touch it.
Old 15th June 2009, 20:29   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sadly it is still with the original 6V system which IMHO is very poor when it comes to lighting up the road. However, as far as reliability is concerned, it is still tops, am still running it with all the original switches and wiring.
Are 6V batteries still available in your place? Its nice to know that the bike still has the original 6 V electricals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysteve View Post
Anjan, I agree with desideep on going premix, though the reason may be different!

I own a 1998 RX-135 and used to faithfully maintain proper oil levels till I experienced engine seizure attributed to a faulty oil pump. According to many people I've spoken to, even a small speck of dirt in the pump can shut the supply of oil and end up being fatal. It is therefore a safer option in my opinion. If you use premix, your 2T oil tank and oil pump have no role in the running of your engine.

I also know of many people who have used their oil tanks without any problems for years, so it's ultimately a matter of personal choice!
Thanks for the info about faulty oil pumps.Touchwood! I have never had it conking off since 19 years but have to have an open mind to your and desideep's suggestion.

Quote:
^^^ So make sure you keep the the system clean! Thats why I fill the oil tank myself, in the most finicky way possible. Have not let any mechanic even touch it.
Its good to do such jobs needing cleanliness and precision on our own. I too do it myself, but sometimes there pops up a mechanic! I'll also do it on my own from now on. Have always been using Castrol TT since day one on this bike. About 55000 kms done with no problems.
Old 15th June 2009, 22:36   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are 6V batteries still available in your place? Its nice to know that the bike still has the original 6 V electricals.
I last changed the battery in 2005, it seems to be still chugging along even after 4 years, will have a real job on hand finding one now when it finally dies down.

Regarding 2T oil, I have been using Castrol 2T too and find it quite good although a lot of others here beg to differ !
Old 16th June 2009, 00:15   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for the info about faulty oil pumps.Touchwood! I have never had it conking off since 19 years but have to have an open mind to your and desideep's suggestion.

Its good to do such jobs needing cleanliness and precision on our own. I too do it myself, but sometimes there pops up a mechanic! I'll also do it on my own from now on. Have always been using Castrol TT since day one on this bike. About 55000 kms done with no problems.
19 years on the same pump without it needing any attention? Thats cool!

Castrol Super TT... tried it sometime back and it was amongst the "dirtiest" oils I'v come across. When I last looked, it also carried a lower JASO rating. You really ought to use something better.
Old 16th June 2009, 05:10   #40
BHPian

I had Hero Honda, Shogun, Roadking and RX 100. Without any doubt, RX 100 is the best bike I ever had and like most of you regret selling it. It was a 87 model with Y 1 bore - Orignial Jap. Bought it for 25k and spent another 25k on the Mods (spent all the money Dad had kep in my bank ac) .

It is the best tuner friendly bike ever!!

Gives me lot of pleasure to share this info. Don't know its been a decade that I sold the bike, very nice memories.

Below were the mods done, and also Pic attached:

1) Navy Blue painted chasis and Silver body paint from Sarakki. He was famous in those days in Bangalore
2) 115 CC piston
3) Imported Front Mud guard
4) Straight handle with sticker
5) Box Swing arm
6) Gas shock absorbers in the rear and hightened, elongated in the front
7) Shogun indicators
8) Bucket seats - Well, Kind of!
9) Buffing and chroming Cylinder head, nuts and bolts, brake drums, Silencer
10) Yezdi headlight unit, 90/100 lighting, Yezdi rim/tires in the rear.
11) Aluminium foot rests, Headlight clamps, Chain cover
12) Bosch horns
13) Big button tires in the front with balancer
14) Ported Exhaust to increase the BHP, along with altered Muffler with steel wool...OMG..I do remember all these fine details

Longing for a RX 100 from a long time, will keep the seach on!
Attached Thumbnails
My Red Yamaha RX 100-crr-68.jpg  

Old 16th June 2009, 22:13   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandkumargb View Post
I had Hero Honda, Shogun, Roadking and RX 100. Without any doubt, RX 100 is the best bike I ever had and like most of you regret selling it. It was a 87 model with Y 1 bore - Orignial Jap. Bought it for 25k and spent another 25k on the Mods (spent all the money Dad had kep in my bank ac) .

It is the best tuner friendly bike ever!!

Gives me lot of pleasure to share this info. Don't know its been a decade that I sold the bike, very nice memories.

Below were the mods done, and also Pic attached:

1) Navy Blue painted chasis and Silver body paint from Sarakki. He was famous in those days in Bangalore
2) 115 CC piston
3) Imported Front Mud guard
4) Straight handle with sticker
5) Box Swing arm
6) Gas shock absorbers in the rear and hightened, elongated in the front
7) Shogun indicators
8) Bucket seats - Well, Kind of!
9) Buffing and chroming Cylinder head, nuts and bolts, brake drums, Silencer
10) Yezdi headlight unit, 90/100 lighting, Yezdi rim/tires in the rear.
11) Aluminium foot rests, Headlight clamps, Chain cover
12) Bosch horns
13) Big button tires in the front with balancer
14) Ported Exhaust to increase the BHP, along with altered Muffler with steel wool...OMG..I do remember all these fine details

Longing for a RX 100 from a long time, will keep the seach on!
anandkumargb Nice to know all about your 1987 RX 100. Wish you still had it with you.

Quote:
19 years on the same pump without it needing any attention? Thats cool!

Castrol Super TT... tried it sometime back and it was amongst the "dirtiest" oils I'v come across. When I last looked, it also carried a lower JASO rating. You really ought to use something better.
Thanks Raccoon, long live the oil pump but TOUCHWOOD! But my love for Castrol is sublime, though its not liked by many.

Quote:
I last changed the battery in 2005, it seems to be still chugging along even after 4 years, will have a real job on hand finding one now when it finally dies down.

Regarding 2T oil, I have been using Castrol 2T too and find it quite good although a lot of others here beg to differ !
Kannan its great that your battery is lasting you 4 years plus! I too am a Castrol fan but these days there's lot of adulterated stuff in the market. I complained on their website. As a result, their local Area Manager contacted me and thereafter I get my requirement for my 3 cars and 3 two wheelers from their depot- THATS PURE FOR SURE!
Old 17th June 2009, 17:10   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Raccoon, long live the oil pump but TOUCHWOOD! But my love for Castrol is sublime, though its not liked by many.
Since you have used Super TT throught, can you tell us how many times and at what km reading you have decarbed your bike (I'm assuming you have decarbed it...). If it has been decarbed it, you have decarbed the cylinder/silencer/? Any other details?

Quote:
its great that your battery is lasting you 4 years plus! I too am a Castrol fan but these days there's lot of adulterated stuff in the market. I complained on their website. As a result, their local Area Manager contacted me and thereafter I get my requirement for my 3 cars and 3 two wheelers from their depot- THATS PURE FOR SURE!
Good that you got such a response. I tried writing to them at least couple of times. Never got any reply. Even spoke to their customer care number... no response as promised. Whats more, their marketing ways are less than ethical. Also, insufficent product info. And last but not the least, average quality (mostly), overpriced products.

Quote:
Kannan its great that your battery is lasting you 4 years plus!
The original battery in my Suzuki Shogun lasted a good 7 years!

Kannan666, which brand of battery are you talking about?

Last edited by Raccoon : 17th June 2009 at 17:15.
Old 17th June 2009, 18:45   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

[quote=[B]Raccoon[/b];1351065]Since you have used Super TT throught, can you tell us how many times and at what km reading you have decarbed your bike (I'm assuming you have decarbed it...). If it has been decarbed it, you have decarbed the cylinder/silencer/? Any other details?[quote]

On an average every 10,000 kms the silencer requires decarbing. The cylinder was decarbed once at about 45,000 kms and gaskets changed.Earlier I used to do he decarbing on my own at home, but now prefer not to soil my hands, unless unavoidable.It involved heating on a stove on an open part of my house plot and scraping the pipe that connects the cylinder, manually. Before heating the silencer, I used to give it a thorough kerosene wash.

[quote]Raccoon Good that you got such a response. I tried writing to them at least couple of times. Never got any reply. Even spoke to their customer care number... no response as promised. Whats more, their marketing ways are less than ethical. Also, insufficent product info. And last but not the least, average quality (mostly), overpriced products.[quote]

I had written a long note about how spurious oils are being sold as Castrol in India, even through authorised outlets to them. It had many anecdotes including a reputed spare part dealer committing to me "I have stopped keeping Castrol in stock because I just want to avoid being labelled as one who sells adulterated stuff." As I did not mention the dealer's name , the company people were after me asking me to reveal it. I said "No".I had also written to them that only Castrol remained in India all through the past many, many decades when many others came and went away due to adversities, but again came back in fair weather.The Area Manager told me that this had become a topic of discussion and their management in the U.K. also took note.
But as you rightly say, their products are overpriced.They are quite laid back in their approach towards marketing.But touchwood again! I get their products at my doorstep from the depot.

Quote:
Raccoon: The original battery in my Suzuki Shogun lasted a good 7 years!
Kannan666, which brand of battery are you talking about?
Unbelievable that is! A battery for seven years! People change automobiles faster! But this seven year feat deserves compliments.Once I went to change my EXIDE car battery after 4 years 8 months. I told the dealer that I was waiting for another four months for this to complete 5, but it conked off.
The dealer said that if people keep batteries nicely for so long, the dealers would be on the streets with no business. ME ! The Dealer
If its seven years then imagine!

Last edited by Dippy : 25th November 2009 at 15:31. Reason: Post edited. Excessive use of smilies is strictly prohibited on Team BHP. Only two smilies per post allowed.
Old 17th June 2009, 19:30   #44
Senior - BHPian

@ Raccoon - The brand that I have on my RX is Exide which I got in 2005 June, not too sure it is still available any more. Also, over the years, the Exide brand name has taken a beating and today the product quality is not what it was. Also, remember having a debate with you over my usage of Castrol and my decarb experiences, so not going into that again here ! Which brand of battery for you ran for 7 years ?

@ Anjan - I too am a Castrol diehard fan and use only that brand of oil in all my vehicles too, Castrol TT for the bike and the Kine and Castrol Magnatec for the four wheelers.

Last edited by kannan666 : 17th June 2009 at 19:32.
Old 17th June 2009, 19:34   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandkumargb View Post
13 Big button tires in the front with balancer!
what is this balancer thing? please explain.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks