Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2009, 03:23   #61
BHPian

Motul 300 4 stroke engine oil works well with the RX and RD gearboxes . u get gearbox oil additive that are also good . or atleast supposed to be that way . Ive been using an Exide battery from 2002 and mine still works and other than a few recharges a few years ago i have had zilch problems till date ( touch wood !! ) btw i run a 90/100 kit so thats whats probably keeping my battery juiced !
Old 23rd June 2009, 12:04   #62
BHPian

@anjan: Apologies for going OT on your thread. Your thread is refresher of sorts for me. Also, kindly PM me Maulana Mansoor's number. Dunno why, but that name rings a bell. Strangely, I was reminded of the 'Jonga' chap in the movie 'Bade Miya Chote Miya'. Was the character's name the same ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
what is this balancer thing? please explain.
@Mpower/Anand: It is actually a stabilizer. It is a piece of thick metal used as a brace. This was mostly fabricated in aluminium or adopted from a TVS 50 moped. This ensured that the fork legs were supported and helped arrest fork flex. In a stock bike, the original mudguard also doubles as a stabiliser. This was only required where the front stock mudguard was removed to accomodate a motocross mudguard like in anandkumar's rx pic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
There is one possible adverse effect of doing this. If you keep the pipe dangling too far down, it will catch a lot of mud and slush, esp. in the rains. This may eventually clog the pipe at the bottom end. And you know what this means...
Sorry buddy, but I don't know what this means. We are talking about a pipe that is almost half a metre long with an ID of around 4 mm which means 6 months worth of electrolyte discharge. You should be fine if you wash your vehicle atleast once a fortnight or do a quick inspection every weekend. I think most of us do this and still there is Murphy's Law.

Quote:
Have myself seen this happening... so its not just a theoritic possibility.
Nothing is idiot proof my friend.

[quote=2StrokeJunkie;1358234]Motul 300 4 stroke engine oil works well with the RX and RD gearboxes . u get gearbox oil additive that are also good . or atleast supposed to be that way . Ive been using an Exide battery from 2002 and mine still works and other than a few recharges a few years ago i have had zilch problems till date ( touch wood !! )

Will try Motul 300 next oil change on my RD then. Same here dude, I have been using Exide for over 10 years now and don't see any issue with it. Same with Castrol. I agree there are a lot of fake and spurious stuff in the market but it is the same with Penzoil, Gulf, Mobil. One just needs to buy careful while buying. I wouldn't boycott any of my favourite brands just for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2StrokeJunkie View Post
btw i run a 90/100 kit so thats whats probably keeping my battery juiced !
Longevity of a battery increases if it charged and discharged on a regular basis. Maintenance being the other factor. So correct me if I am wrong, but it is not the 90/100 kit which is keeping your batter juiced. You are spending it well by using horn, indicators etc and your regulator/rectifier is in top shape. Like every other bike (except RD, old bullets and some), your bike will run without a battery. Your 90/100 lighting also works without a battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandkumargb
Hey! Santosh - Good to see you man!!...
We shd catch up sometime soon buddy!
Same here buddy. You have a PM.
Old 23rd June 2009, 12:16   #63
BANNED

Why use old technology battery Amaron makes good maintenance free battery, use that ones, no issue of leaking and rusted parts in bike.
Old 23rd June 2009, 15:00   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@~+#0$# View Post
Sorry buddy, but I don't know what this means. We are talking about a pipe that is almost half a metre long with an ID of around 4 mm which means 6 months worth of electrolyte discharge. You should be fine if you wash your vehicle atleast once a fortnight or do a quick inspection every weekend. I think most of us do this and still there is Murphy's Law.

Nothing is idiot proof my friend.

quote=2StrokeJunkie;1358234]Motul 300 4 stroke engine oil works well with the RX and RD gearboxes . u get gearbox oil additive that are also good . or atleast supposed to be that way . Ive been using an Exide battery from 2002 and mine still works and other than a few recharges a few years ago i have had zilch problems till date ( touch wood !! )

Will try Motul 300 next oil change on my RD then. Same here dude, I have been using Exide for over 10 years now and don't see any issue with it. Same with Castrol. I agree there are a lot of fake and spurious stuff in the market but it is the same with Penzoil, Gulf, Mobil. One just needs to buy careful while buying. I wouldn't boycott any of my favourite brands just for this.

Longevity of a battery increases if it charged and discharged on a regular basis. Maintenance being the other factor. So correct me if I am wrong, but it is not the 90/100 kit which is keeping your batter juiced. You are spending it well by using horn, indicators etc and your regulator/rectifier is in top shape. Like every other bike (except RD, old bullets and some), your bike will run without a battery. Your 90/100 lighting also works without a battery.
What I meant is that a low dangling pipe is likely to get clogged from the lower end due to mud/slush/etc. Most likely, the tyres themselves will keep throwing gunk on them. So you'll may have a clogged pipe soon. Washing your vehicle isn't really going to help, as I don't think anyone is going pay attention to it... or wash the pipe internally, lol! You can of course keep checking for this... and add one more thing on your to-be-done list. Personally, I'd prefer not to.

The thing with Exide is that some of their battries seem to work ok. Which means manufacturing quality is very inconsistent. So its your luck that you seem to have got a good piece. But for any new buyers, his luck is going to be streched to the max, if he buys an Exide. And I'd rather not strech mine at least.

About spurious oils, its not really the same with other brands. Castrol is by far the MOST counterfeited oil. So again your luck is streched to the max. And now after hearing that even some authorised dealers seem to be selling counterfeit stuff, its even scarier.

Longevity of an automobile battery is not increased by charge-discharge cycles. It is in fact shortend by it.

Last edited by Raccoon : 23rd June 2009 at 15:04.
Old 23rd June 2009, 15:37   #65
Senior - BHPian

@ anjan, bike looks much better without the rubber flap. I think a carrier would make the bike have a more better look. I have a 89 model rx 100 and am never planning to sell it irrespective of the fact that my parents say its the loudest bike in the neighbourhood and smokes too much. Even mine is red, will post some pictures when I get some.
beejay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2009, 20:15   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthvader5000 View Post
I still regret selling my RX 100 after owning it for 10 years in 2001. Bought it for 26.5K in 1991 plus interest on a two year loan at 16% per annum flat !!! ( sounds terrible today ) Never had any issues with it except the damn 2T tank leaking once a while , whihc you later learn to adjust yourself. Remember fiddling around with the oil screw to increase / decrease the smoke when you rev off from a red light , all depending on your mood :-)
Back to the bike. I bought my first car a year later and somehow neglected the bike. But whenever i drove it , she drove like a darling. nver less than 40kmpl. And fotr some damn stupid reasoning made me sell her in Jul 2001 . I got 25K for it :-)

Regret selling her till today. She was my red beauty :-)
Nice review darthvader-sorry to know that you sold it.

[quote=S@~+#0$#;1358634]@anjan: Apologies for going OT on your thread. Your thread is refresher of sorts for me. Also, kindly PM me Maulana Mansoor's number. Dunno why, but that name rings a bell. Strangely, I was reminded of the 'Jonga' chap in the movie 'Bade Miya Chote Miya'. Was the character's name the same ?[quote=S@~+#0$#;1358634]
santosh even though OT its informative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2StrokeJunkie View Post
Same with Castrol. I agree there are a lot of fake and spurious stuff in the market but it is the same with Penzoil, Gulf, Mobil. One just needs to buy careful while buying. I wouldn't boycott any of my favourite brands just for this.
Same here buddy. You have a PM.
Right it is. Castrol is faked most commonly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
@ anjan, bike looks much better without the rubber flap. I think a carrier would make the bike have a more better look. I have a 89 model rx 100 and am never planning to sell it irrespective of the fact that my parents say its the loudest bike in the neighbourhood and smokes too much. Even mine is red, will post some pictures when I get some.
Its without the mud flap now. In July come monsoon, it has to wear the flap until August or so. Hope to see pictures of your bike soon. The carrier was an OE till 1988 I believe.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 23rd June 2009 at 20:16.
Old 24th June 2009, 13:51   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post

Its without the mud flap now. In July come monsoon, it has to wear the flap until August or so. Hope to see pictures of your bike soon. The carrier was an OE till 1988 I believe.
I am not sure of that. Mine is a 1989 model and the carrier was a part of the bike.
Old 24th June 2009, 21:06   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
I am not sure of that. Mine is a 1989 model and the carrier was a part of the bike.
beejay, the carrier was affixed to the rear seat grabrail (chrome) and used to come as a standard fitment for all RX 100's earlier. I though it was till 1988 but your case proves that it was still there in 1989. Mine is a June 1990 model minus the carriers.
Santosh I forgot the Jonga scene in Chhotte Miya Bade Miya- saw it a long time back.
Old 9th July 2009, 10:43   #69
Senior - BHPian

Red Rx 100-

This is my Rx 100, 1989 model.

Wanted to share the pics with you guys.

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
My Red Yamaha RX 100-rx100.jpg  

Last edited by Technocrat : 9th July 2009 at 15:15. Reason: Please upload images in proper format instead of as Word document. Thanks
Old 13th July 2009, 01:50   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Thanks for the battery information. Now Amco batteries is owned by Exide which we all detest these days.Exide has also taken over a company that marketed batteries under the name Standard Furukawa.So it has grown financially, but not in product quality. I'll too go for Amaron sealed batteries that are far better.Its an Exide under my RX 100 seat now.

Dude, whats the source of the info that Amco is now owned by Exide? Have been asking several people in the know about this including dealers... and they all say they are seperate companies.

Also, most authorised Exide dealers here don't seem to stock Amco. That too suggests that they are seperate.

Furthermore, most of them also say that if given a choice between Exide and Amco batteries, Amco is relatively better.

Last edited by Raccoon : 13th July 2009 at 01:52.
Old 20th July 2009, 22:57   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Dude, whats the source of the info that Amco is now owned by Exide? Have been asking several people in the know about this including dealers... and they all say they are seperate companies.

Also, most authorised Exide dealers here don't seem to stock Amco. That too suggests that they are seperate.

Furthermore, most of them also say that if given a choice between Exide and Amco batteries, Amco is relatively better.
Racoon I am sorry and stand corrected. Its actually the company Standard Furukawa that Exide had acquired.Amco is still owned by the Amalgamations Group.Please check up:
Amco Batteries Limited - Group companies
Old 20th July 2009, 23:49   #72
Senior - BHPian

Yes, actually I did check that out myself when all those people said they are seperate entities. SF I guess was acquired long ago... and that is fairly well know.
Old 29th September 2009, 16:28   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Today got the bike serviced at BIKE ZONE (Castrol) and will post pictures here soon of the post-service RX 100.
The servicing took about three hours.I was one of the first customers at 9.30 am. They diagnosed the bike- no problems at all. Only the tail light bulb needed a replacement.I felt on Top of the World as a 19 year old bike bumping into a service zone and coming out unscathed is miraculous!
It went through a wash, cleaning, oil change, lubrication and came out with its wine red and chrome shine.
Finally I got the bike at 12.30 pm. Took the day off from office and was with the bike watching it from the glass enclosure a floor above.
Am quite happy with the job done. The charges were Rs 299=00 (an introductory offer) for the service and oil change plus Rs 24 for the tail light bulb.
And lastly they diagnosed that the brake light activator in the front and rear brake levers had conked off. They did not have this spare.I 'll get that changed from the Yamaha A.S.S.
While delivering they also diagnosed that the handlebar/ steering bearings in the box in front of the petrol tank were faulty and also needed replacement. I do not have any problem with the handlebar movement and hence did not pay much heed to this diagnosis.
Old 6th October 2009, 19:53   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

The Yamaha as it looks after 19 plus years of use and the servicing now!

My Red Yamaha RX 100-yamaha-1.jpg

My Red Yamaha RX 100-yamaha2.jpg

My Red Yamaha RX 100-dsc04375.jpg

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 6th October 2009 at 19:55.
Old 15th November 2009, 23:07   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

The bike is feeling quite youthful again and whenever I take it around for a spin it for sure rattles some Pulsars, Hunks, FZ 16's and RTR's nonetheless.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks