Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2013, 16:00   #541
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
Do not park in the Open in rain. I am speaking from experience. I had to change the ignition key-switch set in just 5 months. This was when the rains had not even started.
I don't have an option of a covered parking. Does using a "Cover" help to some extent? The original RE "Cover" costs somewhere around 1000/-. I am trying to check the local markets for a decent cover to protect the Bullet from rains.
Old 17th June 2013, 16:23   #542
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abeer View Post
I don't have an option of a covered parking. Does using a "Cover" help to some extent? The original RE "Cover" costs somewhere around 1000/-. I am trying to check the local markets for a decent cover to protect the Bullet from rains.
I bought an after market cover the one looks like the cement bags which are weaved out of strands of plastic. The cover is very much water proof but comes only in the size that would fit a standard bullet without the rear view mirrors. Since i have a Thunderbird I was in a fix and finally decided to park my ride at a friend's place in a covered parking lot throughout these monsoons. This cover cost me 200 bucks. It is decently designed and will cover all RE's except the Thunderbirds.

From my recent visit to the service center for getting the ignition switch replaced i got a Teflon coat and anti rust coating done on the bike. Cost me 650 bucks. The anti-rust was a gel like liquid no brand no make just some liquid kept in a bottle which stuck onto the shiny parts and made a protective layer and can only be removed with a solvent like petrol. This was done at the authorized RE service center but by a guy to whom this work was outsourced. Make sure you are present when getting Teflon and anti-rust work done. The guy rubbed off a layer of paint from my fuel tank at one portion as he was using an electrically operated buffer and didn't realize how much pressure he was exerting. I asked him to do it manually after that.
Tgo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2013, 19:08   #543
BHPian

Quote:
I bought an after market cover the one looks like the cement bags which are weaved out of strands of plastic. The cover is very much water proof but comes only in the size that would fit a standard bullet without the rear view mirrors. Since i have a Thunderbird I was in a fix and finally decided to park my ride at a friend's place in a covered parking lot throughout these monsoons. This cover cost me 200 bucks. It is decently designed and will cover all RE's except the Thunderbirds.
The one you are referring is made of Woven PP. Be careful of its contact area with Painted surface (tank, side flanks etc) as it will cause abrasion scratches.
KkVaidya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2013, 12:40   #544
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
The one you are referring is made of Woven PP. Be careful of its contact area with Painted surface (tank, side flanks etc) as it will cause abrasion scratches.
I have decided not to use it since the bike is parked in covered area for this monsoon with occasional trips over the weekends. I believe the OE RE cover is also the same when it comes to leaving scratches but due to its lighter weight you can probably use it for a longer period before worrying about scratches.
Old 19th June 2013, 12:49   #545
BHPian

Quote:
I have decided not to use it since the bike is parked in covered area for this monsoon with occasional trips over the weekends. I believe the OE RE cover is also the same when it comes to leaving scratches but due to its lighter weight you can probably use it for a longer period before worrying about scratches.
I have been using the OE RE cover for about an year now and have had absolutely no problems other than some drops of water mysteriously finding its way inside the cover. It looks good as well (with the RE mark and all). You would need to keep cleaning the cover about once a month normally and in about 2 weeks in the monsoon.
pratyush6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2013, 18:31   #546
BHPian

Is there any updates about the waiting periods. It should be quiet natural that the waiting period should be reduced because of the new plant at Chennai. But till today i really don't get any true updates from the dealer here in Jayanagar, Bangalore about the reduction in the waiting period. They seem to still underplay. I really don't understand why? Do anyone have any idea? Please share any informations about this.
Old 19th June 2013, 20:12   #547
BHPian

I have booked a TB350, having read about the new plant I went and inquired with the dealer at Chennai last week, he is still sticking to the originally quoted waiting time of 8 months although he is aware that the production capacity has been increased.

my point to him was if the production capacity is increased naturally the waiting time has to come down I got only a smile as the reply.

I am not able to understand why these guys are not being transparent to the customers
Old 19th June 2013, 23:56   #548
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
Is there any updates about the waiting periods. It should be quiet natural that the waiting period should be reduced because of the new plant at Chennai. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravinrd View Post
I have booked a TB350, having read about the new plant I went and inquired with the dealer at Chennai last week, he is still sticking to the originally quoted waiting time of 8 months although he is aware that the production capacity has been increased.
From what I read about the new plant and heard of the review of the new plant , it rolls out only Desert Storm as of now which can be the reason for the same waiting periods. But they have shifted some other processes to the new site as well which I am not sure of.

May be the link will help,

Regards
Old 20th June 2013, 00:38   #549
BHPian

I booked an Electra 350 earlier this month keeping in view the new plant started. I expected the delivery to be sooner than the usual 6-8 months.

However, per the dealer here in Bangalore, I need to wait 6-8 months, and was told to expect the bull anywhere around January 2014.

To which I questioned him as to why such a long wait since the new plant has started, he said even though the new plant has started it only churns out the Desert Storm and the TB 500 etc..None of the 350's are made in the new plant.

I called up the RE office in TN and was told they would stick to the same wait period committed by the dealer.
I then happened to call the Area Manager as well, who also said the same thing to wait as much as the dealer mentioned.

It seems even though the new plant has started, which certainly has taken off some load from the old one. The delivery times remain the same. Even for the Desert Storm, which is now made in the new factory also has the same 10-12 months wait, just as it was before the new plant opened.

I think there are some important points that would really tell whether the delivery times would come down soon or not.

1) Do they have more staff to work in the new plant?
2) Were new personnel hired well before the new plant was scheduled to start? (Since training the new hires would take time)
3) Is it that the existing staff has been moved to the new plant and no new staff hired keeping the productivity a little more than that of the old factory?
4) Are vendors equipped to send in more stuff for more production to the new factory?
5) Enough vitamin "M" for input costs to churn out the max number of bulls per year? Starting NOW?

Since the company would need to train the new guys well in advance for the new factory, and since the old plant was clogged with no space, I wonder if RE ever hired the required people to start working in the new plant well before the new plant started to start churning out more bulls than before.

The above points are my personal opinion, and to me sounds like these will take time to happen and the wait time is going to stay the same as it was prior to the new plant setup.

From the answers i got so far from speaking to the RE guys, I feel the above points I mentioned are not a reality at RE yet. I just hope I get mine soon....just cant wait.

Last edited by gearbox : 20th June 2013 at 00:41.
Old 20th June 2013, 01:16   #550
BHPian

This is a query I have asked many times but I have still not got a satisfactory answer. Okay, here I go again. Where can I get an airflow fairing for my Royal Enfield 1978 Bullet? Does anyone make it or sell it? Any tips guys?
Old 20th June 2013, 07:10   #551
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leepower View Post
This is a query I have asked many times but I have still not got a satisfactory answer. Okay, here I go again. Where can I get an airflow fairing for my Royal Enfield 1978 Bullet? Does anyone make it or sell it? Any tips guys?
If you can't get it here in India, try these guys:

http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/home

They're pretty good and ship internationally.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2013, 13:31   #552
BHPian

Dear brothers,

I got my Thunderbird 500. Superb bike. Mind blowing. Pulls like a locomotive and makes me feel like god!

There's no authorized dealer/ service centre in these islands. Hence I am arranging the oil filter (500 km replacement) to be sent from chennai. The manual suggests following engine oil for renewal
MOTUL 3000 4T Plus, 15W50 API SL JASO MA

but it is not available in the island. Please suggest me an alternative.
Few guys in the islands are using
ELF MOTO 4XT Tech 10W50 synthetic oil
Is it good? Can I use it while renewing oil after 500 kms?
Old 21st June 2013, 04:13   #553
Distinguished - BHPian

You could use it if there are no other motorcycle oils available with a 15W50 or a 20W50 viscosity. I believe ELF also makes a 20W50 motorcycle oil so you may want to look for it.

The important thing is that whatever oil you use in your air cooled Royal Enfield has the 50 weight rating and it meets JASO MA to prevent clutch slipping.

Be sure to remove all of the drain plugs and clean the screen oil filter that is on the oil pump inlet. This screen is under the small cast part with two small hexagon head bolts on the bottom of the oil sump.

If you have the latest engine it also has a drain plug under the crankshaft to drain that area of the engine. The side covers do not have a oil drain plug.

After removing all of the drain plugs it is helpful to tip the motorcycle to the left and to the right. This removes much of the oil that is located in the side covers.

If you are careful and you don't try to remove the O-rings on the oil inlet or the oil filter cover they do not require replacing. It is helpful to coat the mouth of the main oil filter cavity with oil when reinstalling the oil filter cover to keep from pinching the small O-ring that's on the cover.

The small hex head bolts that hold the filter cover and the oil pump inlet screen cover are very easy to damage by over-tightening them. They only need 4 lbs/ft of torque to be fully tightened.

The oil capacity listed in my owners manual is totally wrong.
It says the UCE requires 2.75 Liters of oil.
Based on my (and many others) experiences, that value should have read 1.75 Liters.
1.75 Liters of oil will bring the level up to the middle of the sight glass when the motorcycle is sitting on the center stand.
ArizonaJim is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2013, 06:06   #554
BHPian

Thank you ArizonaJim.
Old 21st June 2013, 07:52   #555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearbox View Post
I booked an Electra 350 earlier this month keeping in view the new plant started. I expected the delivery to be sooner than the usual 6-8 months.
Did you book the Electra 350 or Classic 350 ? Because 6-8 months for an Electra is a bit surprising to me. 2 months back when I went to book my Desert Storm, I was told that the waiting period for Electra 350 was around 2-3 months and Classic 350 was close to a year. Desert Storm waiting period was 6 months but now with the new plant opening up and its focus being on the Desert Storm plus new TB, he has told me that the waiting period could come down to 4 months possibly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks