Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2013, 12:28   #631
Senior - BHPian

Re: My first RE ever.. And a bike after 8 years.. Help!

Quote:
You wont worry much about power difference in 350 & 500 unless you are in hills where torque play a major role.
Not really. The difference between the 350 and 500 even in city roads are quite evident and the torque is so much fun to ride in city traffic as well.

And the same torque is achieved at a comparatively lower RPM which means the perceived and actual strain on the rider is much less.

If you have the moolah go for the TB500. But now at that price point you are right there at the 390 price point. I would definitely consider the KTM390 if budget is there
Old 5th August 2013, 12:43   #632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adroit View Post

I will check and PM you if there is any possibility to get the bike without booking.. by the way, what is the mode of payment, cash or loan ? A lot will depend on this.
I have the funds ready.. Just waiting for the call..
Old 5th August 2013, 13:01   #633
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisiddiqui View Post
I have the funds ready.. Just waiting for the call..
checked. It seems 350 may take sometime but surely not 2 month. I can arrange before that if required. If you need TB 500, i can arrange in few days. Take your call.
adroit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2013, 14:31   #634
BHPian

Quote:

checked. It seems 350 may take sometime but surely not 2 month. I can arrange before that if required. If you need TB 500, i can arrange in few days. Take your call.
Called the dealer.. He says max 45days and may be lesser too.. Guess will wait... Do not want to spend more for the 500 though it will be more powerful for sure but the 350 should do the job for me as of now... Thanks..
Old 5th August 2013, 15:44   #635
BHPian

Re: All T-BHP Royal Enfield Owners- Your Bike Pics here Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Accept on the leisure ride. And Bullets are best suited for long drives, keeping in mind the comfort.
That means Bullets are not for daily commute?
I am thinking of replacing my Unicorn. Which version of Bullet would be the right replacer. I am not in to travelogues.
In my opinion, you can go to any 350 CC RE, they all have same engine and the only difference stays with cosmetics & price. I don't think you will utilize much from 500 during your day to day city rides. When it comes to RE, carb setup is anyday better than EFI setup as RE didn't bother to include O2 sensor in bikes they sell in India. And of course, 350 will give you better FE compare to 500.
Old 5th August 2013, 23:31   #636
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
http://www.nandanmotors.com/bullet.html

The articles still hold good for most of the machines. You can view it with your "own" pinch of salt.

But the science sounds very convincing and a common response to the article i have got is "Makes Sense".

This sums up my view on running in.
http://www.nandanmotors.com/running.html
Wow.. This is pretty amazing.. Does it all apply to the new bikes too.. The run in method does make sense, though will need 8-10 months riding daily an hour.. Haven't gone through completely , will do over time..
Old 6th August 2013, 03:17   #637
Distinguished - BHPian

The link to nandanmotors is quite well written and I must agree with most of it.

It was written with the old Cast Iron Bullet in mind and a few things do not apply to the new UCE engines. For instance, the comment about a sleeve bearing on the big end of the aluminum connecting rod.
The UCE uses a roller bearing at that location and the connecting rod is now made of steel.

I mention this because the new bearing and steel rod are much more durable and less likely to ever need repair or replacing.

The new UCE also now uses the steel cylinder liner cast into an aluminum finned casting. This greatly improves the transfer of heat from the piston and piston rings so there is a notable reduction in the chance of freezing up the engine by overheating.
I am not saying that there is not a need to go gently during the initial break in. There is.
I am merely pointing out that things in the new engine have improved greatly.

The new UCE also allows a increase in the maximum break in speed after the first 500 km and first oil change is achieved.

Following the first 500km, the bike can safely be ridden at speeds up to 80-90 kmph (for the 500cc engine).
After the bike reaches 1000 km there is no maximum speed requirement.

One of the things that greatly helps with breaking in a new engine is to vary the speed. In other words, don't ride at just one speed for any length of time.
Changing the speed allows the parts to warm up and cool off gradually which allows them to expand and shrink. As they expand and shrink they will gently wear themselves to achieve the best fit for all conditions.

Also, the article made mention of draining some oil following a overheated engine. Do not do this with the UCE engine.
I'm sure you won't intentional overheat the engine but draining the oil from anyplace on the engine will accomplish nothing except the loss of the very important lubrication and cooling that is needed.

Ride safe.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 6th August 2013 at 03:20.
ArizonaJim is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2013, 10:49   #638
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
The UCE uses a roller bearing at that location and the connecting rod is now made of steel.

I mention this because the new bearing and steel rod are much more durable and less likely to ever need repair or replacing.
Jim, purely by anecdotal real life evidence (personal and biking circle), regardless of what should or should not be or happen on paper, this is sadly diamterically opposite of what realy happpens.

The Machismo LB500 (as the UCE 500) also has a needle roller bearing big end with forged con rod. And the LB500 big end (as does the UCE 500) grenades way more often and far earlier in the operational life than the humble floating bush-ed big ends of the Standard 500 CI engines.

It does not end there.

While rebuilding the big end of the CI Standard 500 is a relatively simple and inexpensive affair, with many very nice and durable alternatives available for the floating bush (which can either be bought or machined in any half decent tool shop - from a variety of meterials ranging from humble white metal to more exotic alloys), the big end of the LBs (and UCEs) is a different story altogether.

If the steel inner core of the big end of the con rod is scored or has gone out of circular (as usually happens and very often and very quickly once the bearing cage grenades), it is usually bad enough to not be salvageable by machining. Result : New con rod needed.

If by happy chance you can salvage it, the I.D. now becomes too large for the standard sized bearing. And since different bearings are not available, you go hunting for the correct oversized sleeve with the correct surface hardening. Result : You get it - finally - if you are lucky. Please note these are all after market parts. None of this is available from the company (their solution to rebuilding the crank is a modular one - i.e. buy a new crank assembly - maybe leave out the flywheels if you are lucky and have the right contacts).

Then you source the bearing (a feat in itself - and not something you can machine yourself) and then start rebuilding, machining, and balancing your crank.

The cost of the rebuild (assuming you are blessed and get all required parts - and on time) is easily many times that of the CI floating bush big end.

As is the off-the-road (OTR - a term coined by RE for their parts dispatch department, and which they seem to love) garage time for the two bikes.

My 2007 LB500 big end grenaded at around 35,000 kms. I was one of the lucky ones. Most go at as early as 7-15,000 kms. My 2002 Std 500's factory big end is still going strong. Both bikes were and are ridden equally hard and long. They say the roller bearing big end is more tolerant of abuse and can pull much higher rpm's. Well, not true. I pull similar rpm's on both my Bullets. And the LB big end grenaded.

That should say volumes.

Technology is supposed to make things better, and life easier.

Last edited by ebonho : 6th August 2013 at 10:57.
ebonho is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2013, 11:12   #639
BHPian

Thank you all. I have freezed TBTS 350cc. Unfortunately last week my search for RE showroom in Nagole went for a waste. So waiting for the next to next weekend to get my hands on the beast.
Old 6th August 2013, 12:28   #640
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Thank you all. I have freezed TBTS 350cc. Unfortunately last week my search for RE showroom in Nagole went for a waste. So waiting for the next to next weekend to get my hands on the beast.
Hi dre@ms,

congrats on the choice of the TBTS, I just had my TBTS 500 delivered and each day riding the TBTS is an experience itself.

Enjoy and do keep us posted on the progress.

Regards.
Old 6th August 2013, 12:43   #641
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When it comes to RE, carb setup is anyday better than EFI setup as RE didn't bother to include O2 sensor in bikes they sell in India.
Mate,
I would not be bothered if RE gives the bike with o2 sensor or not. For the simple reason that many of my SBK brethren remove the O2 Sensor when they are putting in the slip ons or FFE. It is not a deal maker or breaker.

Carb means more prone to adjustments, inconsistency. Trust me if Carbs were very good, the world would not have moved into EFI technology at all.
Old 6th August 2013, 13:06   #642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Mate,
I would not be bothered if RE gives the bike with o2 sensor or not. For the simple reason that many of my SBK brethren remove the O2 Sensor when they are putting in the slip ons or FFE. It is not a deal maker or breaker.

Carb means more prone to adjustments, inconsistency. Trust me if Carbs were very good, the world would not have moved into EFI technology at all.
I won't deny your point that EFI is anyday better with Carb but when its RE, Carb setup is far better then their EFI setup. I have a CL500 and there are many issues with the bike. This is the simple reason a lot of 500 owners have converted their bikes to carb and RE has also introduced a carb version 500.
Old 6th August 2013, 13:29   #643
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is the simple reason a lot of 500 owners have converted their bikes to carb and RE has also introduced a carb version 500.
Suppose the earlier models have had the issue, but during my triage with the new TB500 they were a lot better. Never had fuelling issues which leads to bad running.

Out of curiosity can you please share the issues you commonly faced. Just for my own knowledge.
Old 6th August 2013, 13:49   #644
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Suppose the earlier models have had the issue, but during my triage with the new TB500 they were a lot better. Never had fuelling issues which leads to bad running.

Out of curiosity can you please share the issues you commonly faced. Just for my own knowledge.
misfire, sparkplugs gone black are major issues faced during my experience with EFI. Initially these problems were more evident but almost a year back they have remapped the ECU and problem has been resolved till some extent. I have many other friends who faced problem with fuel pumps, sensors & Fuel Injectors etc. I have installed BS33 on my bike and the performance and FE was way better than the EFI.

Also, so far the feedback from fellow riders, TB500 has its own issues. To me RE is always a company for which R&D is done by its rider. So final product for TB500 will still take some time to come.
adroit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2013, 15:34   #645
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_u View Post
Hi dre@ms,

congrats on the choice of the TBTS, I just had my TBTS 500 delivered and each day riding the TBTS is an experience itself.
Congrats buddy. What was the waiting period in your case? And which color did you choose?
dre@ms is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks