Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2009, 14:00   #61
Senior - BHPian

Running-in the bike between 3 and 4K Rpms.Occasionally rides to 65-70kmph for a few seconds and slows down using brakes(Should I shift down gear to slow down:?.
Old 31st August 2009, 12:22   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Hee hee and I just completed 139 kms
That's good news..just last week it was 100kms.
Amazing that you did 39 in such a short time
Old 5th September 2009, 00:59   #63
Senior - BHPian

Due to Full day Rains here ,I am not able to get my bike out(Except few times).

I hope I can ask some Queries Regarding the Bike in this thread.

I experience "Thud" Sound when Goes through a Hump fast,feels front shock is travels a little more down,but in normal ride ,No Issues With Shocks.I doubt about Cone(Steering Cone) Set problem.OR is it front fork needs adjustment.the Service Advisor is just busy in confusing me more-telling last time that If Cone set is Adjusted then it will act adverse for the forks kind of Blabbering.then there was a similar sound from the rear ,and that turned out to be due to the tool kit not secured with Rubber band!YES ,the Bike came without that band for keeping toolkit proper!.The Service Guy Showed me new RTR 180s without any Band to Secure toolkits!

Then ,My Bike's Handle Bar's Left Side Balance weight seems separated a little more from the Grip area.These All I came to know via another RTR 180 Owner's doubts in another forum!Seems Same for all?.

Any Clues ,Especially what I should tell to convince them to check for cone set issue?Can Someone Tell Me How to Know whether it is front fork adjustment or Cone Set Issue?
Old 5th September 2009, 19:31   #64
Senior - BHPian

Collected the Bike at 4PM evening.They have adjusted cone set and it seems the problem is not with cone set.front fork may be topping up with Me(108kg) ,while others who ride My Bike Seems to have no issues riding through humps!. One thing I felt Disgusted with RTR is How the Dirt is jetted on to the Leg when riding through Rain.

Anyways ,All TVS Apache RTR 180s which came to Main Dealer in Kochi(and even other dealers!) does not have a band to fix the tool kit!Later ,they gave a Band from tvs Scootty to satisfy Me.

Completed 305kms now.Any Other RTR 180 Guys ,Share your ride here.

Last edited by deepclutch : 5th September 2009 at 19:34.
Old 10th September 2009, 19:47   #65
Senior - BHPian

I have completed 530kms on RTR180.From 500kms onwards ,"Service Reminder Indicator" lamp starts blinking(the one with Spanner Logo) for few seconds every time I start the Bike.I think ,I will give the Bike for First Service Tomorrow.

PS:the service reminder indicator is a great service as it depends on kilometers covered and reminds about service times.
Old 10th September 2009, 19:53   #66
Senior - BHPian

Yes the service reminder light is really helpful in keeping the service intervals in check
Old 12th September 2009, 04:24   #67
Senior - BHPian

First Service Done Yesterday.Completed 600kms till now.After First Service ,they adjusted the Idle Rpm to around 1400rpm.But ,After I ride the Bike for some 15minutes(Engine to get Hot working temperature),the rpm increases to 2000-2200(needle not stable) and settles down at 1400 after some time.I got the reply "Tappet Adjusted and needs few 100kms to be completed to Iron this problem out" from another forum.Is it So?
Old 16th September 2009, 14:44   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
First Service Done Yesterday.Completed 600kms till now.After First Service ,they adjusted the Idle Rpm to around 1400rpm.But ,After I ride the Bike for some 15minutes(Engine to get Hot working temperature),the rpm increases to 2000-2200(needle not stable) and settles down at 1400 after some time.I got the reply "Tappet Adjusted and needs few 100kms to be completed to Iron this problem out" from another forum.Is it So?
Hi Deepclutch.. First of all congrats on a handsome looking BLACK RTR180.

And i guess the biking bug has bit you too since you have completed 600 kms in a very short interval.

I will try to answer your query from my experience of owning the Pulsar 220 '09 for over a week now. In the last 11 days i have completed 516 kms and the bike has finished the first service yesterday. Even in the P220, the Idle RPM is adjusted at 1300-1500 rpm. But when i start riding the bike and once the engine gets hot it hovers around 2000 rpm point before it settles down to the set Idle Rpm. When confirmed with the service advisor, he said its normal for new engines and once the engine gets stabilized more with constant running, it will be fine. Hope this helps!!
Old 16th September 2009, 21:28   #69
Senior - BHPian

thanks @abhinav.s for the reply.Yes ,Abhinav ,I prefer Bike for Commuting ,But Scorching Heat During Noon Time is an Issue for Me though these days.I am accustomed to the Sporty Riding Position ,Since I used a 2001 Hero Honda CBZ for Some Time.
UPDATES:
Currently ,My Bike Has Completed 783 kms.The Bike is rode Between 3K and 5K rpms after the First Service.I am Running-in the Bike By Often Taking it to 4.5-5K rpm(65kmph) Top End and Closes the Throttle to decelerate or By Shifting down Gear.And Rarely Does a Thorough Go at 75kmph for a second.The Average Riding Way is - 43-60kmph with changing rpms.
Is this the Correct Method ?I Hope The Piston Rings are Not Fried By My Break-in Method.Because ,It Indeed Gets Real Hot.
In Slight throttle in the 1st,2nd gear the Pulling is not so Good in this Bike.But ,after hitting 5k range it literally Pulls Great.I Ride through a Hill and in the 2nd gear ,it made the bell ring like Noise(like Knocking and I weigh a good 108kg!).

My Speed is 55-60kmph in Good Roads and Top Speed I took is 75kmph.Well ,The Valves are now Noisy along with Tappet Noise Especially After Some Spirited Rides Revving constantly Between 4K and 5K RPMs Yesterday.

Since the Noise(Tik Tik Tik tappet noise When Hot) Worried Me ,
Today ,I Took the Bike to The TVS Dealer Service Near Me(Vandana Motors,Kothamangalam) and the Service Advisor Says He can Tight tappets, But Overheating will be an Issue.

He Did Tighten Foundation Bolts.this is the 2nd time A.S.C Does that.When Started from Cold ,there is Not Much Noise from Engine.But ,When You Ride atleast 20kms ,The Bike Really Gets Heated.

Idling is at 1350rpm as tuned by them,Idling is Now Kind of Staying Correct.Especially After Valves/Engine Opened in past 2-3 days Ride By Me
By Browsing through Many Forums ,I think this is Common For Fiero/Apache Bikes- Vibration and Tappet Noise.Mileage? didn't checked Yet.But Approximates to 40-45kmpl (Rides mostly in above average Speeds!).

Last edited by deepclutch : 16th September 2009 at 21:31.
Old 25th September 2009, 17:27   #70

Hi Guys ,
I've been keepin an track of this thread since quite some time now .

I've planned to get a bike this diwali.

An after a lot of i've decided the RTR 180 over the FZ-16 and the P180.
So comin to the topic, i've read hell lot of reviews about both bikes , both of'em have got their pro's n cons...... thats it. Now i dont want more of all the technical stuff.

Im quite a newbie in terms of the " from which dealer to buy a bike" (Im frm Mumbai) ,test drive and the the initial servicing n stuff .

So need your sugesstions on this :
1. I'm confirmed on the RTR 180 . Just need to know from where to buy . I stay in Santacruz ,Mumbai . which wud the nearest/genuine dealer around. I chked the TVS website, the addresses given there are almost useless. They've jus given the dealer name,road name,mumbai. i dunno where is mumbai the damn road is :@
Old 26th September 2009, 01:39   #71
Senior - BHPian

dear Penno ,as per justdial ,there is a TVS dealer "Loyal TVS" at Santacruz,Mumbai.contact details:
Justdial: Loyal Tvs in Santacruz W Mumbai
Old 29th September 2009, 21:52   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penno View Post
Hi Guys ,
I've been keepin an track of this thread since quite some time now .

I've planned to get a bike this diwali.

An after a lot of i've decided the RTR 180 over the FZ-16 and the P180.
So comin to the topic, i've read hell lot of reviews about both bikes , both of'em have got their pro's n cons...... thats it. Now i dont want more of all the technical stuff.

Im quite a newbie in terms of the " from which dealer to buy a bike" (Im frm Mumbai) ,test drive and the the initial servicing n stuff .

So need your sugesstions on this :
1. I'm confirmed on the RTR 180 . Just need to know from where to buy . I stay in Santacruz ,Mumbai . which wud the nearest/genuine dealer around. I chked the TVS website, the addresses given there are almost useless. They've jus given the dealer name,road name,mumbai. i dunno where is mumbai the damn road is :@
Hi,Peno congrats for the great choice its the best bike..

today i went to tvs workshop at my city asked numbers of some of the dealers,he gave me two numbers just try these numbers ,these numbers are may be of service enginers but you can ask them the showroom number

Innovative tvs 022=22903929
nv at grant road 022=65500800

Let me know if you are getting any reply or not
Old 1st October 2009, 00:01   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by parimal_g View Post
Hi,Peno congrats for the great choice its the best bike..

today i went to tvs workshop at my city asked numbers of some of the dealers,he gave me two numbers just try these numbers ,these numbers are may be of service enginers but you can ask them the showroom number

Innovative tvs 022=22903929
nv at grant road 022=65500800

Let me know if you are getting any reply or not

hey thnx a lot parimal for the contact numbers ,

actually i desperately want the menace but still its my dad's call to go to the showroom do the paper work (im 19) . So he's jus pushed it till diwali

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

Like Please type 'thanks' instead of 'thnx'

Last edited by Technocrat : 1st October 2009 at 12:32. Reason: Please read the note in post, thanks
Old 3rd October 2009, 04:06   #74
Senior - BHPian

Few Doubts:

Hello ,I am using this thread to ask Some Queries with My RTR 180.

I am nearing 1500kms(Due to rains ,did not took Bike on Road for few days!).I strongly feel TVS-TRU4 20W40 Oil is Not Doing Justice to the Engine of RTR180(Heating).So ,I am thinking of changing to another Mineral Oil this time.
I will change Engine Oil and Oil Filter at 1500kms.My Idea is to Complete 1500kms with new Oil.Recommend Me which Mineral Oil Should I Try?
My Experience with Valvoline on Earlier Bikes Was Good.

Lubricants ::Valvoline Cummins::

And Castrol?Is that red Bottled 4 stroke Oil is Mineral Oil?I would have tried Activ 4T.But I feel it is semi-synthetic.
Castrol India - Two Wheeler Oil

Then ,Elf Moto Gold is Someone recommended.Is it Mineral Oil?Which Brand of Motul Oil is Mineral 20W40 Rating?
Old 11th October 2009, 00:35   #75
Senior - BHPian

Update:

Hello All ,
I completed 1600kms as of Now.Tappet/Valve Noise(Tik Tik like noise) When Engine Become Hot is a characteristic of this RTR Engine.I took the Bike upto 109kmph(on speedo)
--
Now ,I was experiencing this "Thud" Noise from Front Shock Absorbers While riding over bad surfaced roads and speed breakers.From the day First ,I was experiencing this.Cochin TVS ,Even showed Me New RTR180s also having this same issue By Pressing Front shocks down.Their Story was it is Due to Sound from Front Mudguard.

Even I went their like 5 times to resolve this issue.Local Authorized TVS Service Discovered it is an issue with Front Shocks "Pump" or "piston" and asked Me to Approach Cochin TVS to Replace it Under Warranty.

Now ,I left the Bike on 9th October 8.30AM and Asked their Workshop Manager to resolve this.He is insisting that this issue is due to front mudguard and I have a small arguement to Make Him Learn it is not the Noise from Steering Cone/Ball Raiser(Whatever).

I got My Bike Back yesterday(10/10/2009).I have complained with TVS Customer Care regarding this Sound already.I got a mail as response within 1 hour or so.I got a call from Mr.Pichaiyah who said He will resolve the Issue by Sending TVS Engineer There at Cochin Motors Yesterday.

Anyways ,They have done Fork Overhauling and Now the "Thud" Sound Which used to Come at every speed breakers is gone(As of Now).If I Ride fast through real bad Gutters, there is that "Thud" Sound ,But it is Milder Now.I Hope this Problem is Resolved as of Now.
Let Me Ride it For Few days to Verify.
There was a Very Slight Oil Leak near O-ring on Engine(Tappet Cover).They Replaced Gasket,O-Ring cover and Tappet/Valve Clearance adjusted.Tappet Sound Sure Decreased. As of Now ,Things are Going Good.

The Service Manager of Cochin Motors Mr.Ramesh ,He claims this "Thud" Sound issue is due to a difference in length of the springs in front shock absorbers.Some RTR180's have it as shorter;while Mine included have longer spring and travel length.I cannot vouch for his Story though.This Mr.Ramesh is the same fellow Who claimed this irritating "Thud" sound is due to front Mudguard making the Noise.While TVS Customer Care Intervened ,He Did this Fork Overhauling.

I rode 60kms Yesterday and As of Now ,the problem seems to be disappeared.
I must say TVS Customer Care Cell Indeed Helps in Scenarios like Above where Customer feels Helpless in front of their Service Centres.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks