Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2011, 13:57   #2161
BHPian

Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

bradhey,

it could be that the boss on your electra is by luck fixed in the best position to allow both pads to apply evenly.

girileo81,

WaGs are for rich famous guys that play english soccor or live in hollywood. If they truelly made the riding experience better, they would be included in the purchase price and upgrades may even be available. In my experience they are noisey, expensive, cause excessive brake and tyre wear/fuel consumption, and they cut short a well planned day out on the bike. To me a C5 looks so much better without the pillion seat.

I checked my speedo on sunday and it's out by 5% you don't get that on new OEM tyres on any other bike except maybe a Ural. If your speedo is out then so is your fuel consumption estimate. Remember that when trying to calculate whether you should turn back for that last fuel stop you missed or push on to the next.
aussigreg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2011, 22:11   #2162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradhey View Post
I have come across this video on improving the rear brakes on the C5 /C3.5. Although I have not had the time to do it myself before recommending, but I am hoping that with so many people having this problem, somebody will give it a try and report the forum.....................I think this should work
Hi,
I would think that the best (only) procedure would be to leave the two bolts loose, apply the brake gently to centre it, and then while centred, tighten the two bolts.

Leaving it loose (ie floating): only with locknuts or castle nuts and cotters.

My opinion only.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 29th November 2011, 11:46   #2163
BHPian

I remember quite vividly that when I changed the brake shoes, recently, both were equally worn out. So this mystery still bugs me..............???
Old 29th November 2011, 13:49   #2164
BHPian

sutripta,

I don't think centering before tightening is possible because the wheel has to be on to centre the boss by applying the brake, and wheel off to access the nuts inside the hub. The boss is actually designed to float but it's a manufacturing flaw that has led to it being tightened up and painted over.

jim,

It may be common enough practice to locktight fasteners everywhere but it only takes some trainee gimp fresh outta hi-school with x-box on his mind to miss it at the workshop when you get you pads changed and those little nuts will be rattling around in your hub, locktight is only as good as the guy using it, nylock nuts are largely better than foolproof, they are circumstance proof. ..I hope.

bradhey,

You say that your c5 has brake pads wearing evenly, indeed, wearing at all! and yet it has very poor brake feel in comparo to your electra? Is it adjusted up propperely? are the hubs of both bikes the same size. Perhaps the pads made for c5 is an entirely different compound? There's an o-ring seal that stops chainlube and water from entering the hub, it may be failling a little bit?
Old 30th November 2011, 13:46   #2165
Senior - BHPian

Hello All,

As advised by all i took the C500 to the enfield work shop and the oil dripping has stopped. It still does but qty has come down. after an over night parking on main stand all i see a drop slightly bigger than a coin, which i guess is acceptable.

Now i have a very basic question.

Since ahmedabad is a very dusty city and black color attracts a lot of dust. I want to understand from all guru's here, How do i keep the bike clean? What do i use to clean it? Any recommended cleaning kits? or any home made remedies?

Apart from the above issues, bike is riding well and i am awaiting RTO formalities to be completed. Have done about 230 kms so far and beast is doing well.

Thanks a lot.
Old 30th November 2011, 14:05   #2166
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
As advised by all i took the C500 to the enfield work shop and the oil dripping has stopped. It still does but qty has come down. after an over night parking on main stand all i see a drop slightly bigger than a coin, which i guess is acceptable.
NOT AT ALL ACCEPTABLE.

Please do not do any guessing when it comes to engine oil. fight with RE and make sure they rectify it. The bike should not drop even a single drop.
If we loose one a drop of blood, our body makes another drop in a few hours time, but the engine wont do so.
Minor sweating of oil after long rides, from certain weak spots, will be there, but should not be enough to accumulate in a drop and fall on ground.

Applying wax polish regularly will keep the finish in good shape. Not sure if we get any dust repelling products in India. Alternatively, u can use a cover when parking for longish hours. Dust on black was one of the factors which made me go for the teal green.
Old 30th November 2011, 15:06   #2167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
There should be no leakage whatsoever if it has been fixed properly. Please park your bike at a different spot to see if the leakage continues or if it was oil residue from the previous leak.
Old 30th November 2011, 15:13   #2168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
NOT AT ALL ACCEPTABLE.

Please do not do any guessing when it comes to engine oil. fight with RE and make sure they rectify it. The bike should not drop even a single drop.
If we loose one a drop of blood, our body makes another drop in a few hours time, but the engine wont do so.
Minor sweating of oil after long rides, from certain weak spots, will be there, but should not be enough to accumulate in a drop and fall on ground.

Applying wax polish regularly will keep the finish in good shape. Not sure if we get any dust repelling products in India. Alternatively, u can use a cover when parking for longish hours. Dust on black was one of the factors which made me go for the teal green.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoghe View Post
There should be no leakage whatsoever if it has been fixed properly. Please park your bike at a different spot to see if the leakage continues or if it was oil residue from the previous leak.
Thanks guys.

Will get hold of some wax polish and give the beast a good clean. Any brand suggestions welcome.

Will park it at a different spot to ensure that oil leak is not the residue from previous leak.
Old 30th November 2011, 15:26   #2169
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Will get hold of some wax polish and give the beast a good clean. Any brand suggestions welcome.
Have tried various products in the market, but what i prefer is AMWAY SILICONE GLAZE. Its meant for cars, but works just fine on the bike as well. Easy to spread and easy to shine.
Old 30th November 2011, 16:29   #2170
BHPian

Hi All,

Last friday got my DS delivered. Till now i have enjoyed every bit of it. Will be soon starting a new thread with ownership experience and pics.

Currently done 200KMs. Changed oil and oil filter at 141 Kms. Bike feel lot smoother and gears are easy to engage post oil change. Before it was kind of hard in first, second and third gear.

Also following guru's advise to stop the bike for 5 to 10 mins every 35 kms ride. Trying as much as possible. Sometimes it becomes difficult as i would be inbetween traffice.

Do you guys suggest separate thread to DS or shall i update my experience in this very own thread which is already a bible for C500
Endofdayz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2011, 17:05   #2171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endofdayz View Post
Do you guys suggest separate thread to DS or shall i update my experience in this very own thread which is already a bible for C500
It would be greatly beneficial if all Classic 500 related reviews, experiences and discussions are in one thread. A separate thread may lead to parallel and tangential discussions and many of us may miss some good points.

Request please post here if that is fine by all.
nareshtrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2011, 17:19   #2172
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endofdayz View Post
Last friday got my DS delivered.
Congratulations and best wishes, Endofdayz. Explore and enjoy your RE DS.
Quote:
Will be soon starting a new thread with ownership experience and pics.
Please go ahead. Yours will be the first thread dedicated for RE DS.
Quote:
Changed oil and oil filter at 141 Kms. Bike feel lot smoother and gears are easy to engage post oil change. Before it was kind of hard in first, second and third gear.
As per owner's manual, oil change is specified at 500 km. Did you go for oil replacement because of hard gear-shift?
Quote:
You can start a separate dedicated thread for your DS. Already, DKG has his exclusive thread for his black beauty RE C500.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 30th November 2011 at 17:20.

Old 30th November 2011, 17:51   #2173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Congratulations and best wishes, Endofdayz. Explore and enjoy your RE DS.
Please go ahead. Yours will be the first thread dedicated for RE DS.As per owner's manual, oil change is specified at 500 km. Did you go for oil replacement because of hard gear-shift?
You can start a separate dedicated thread for your DS. Already, DKG has his exclusive thread for his black beauty RE C500.

Hi Ravi,

Nope the oil change was suggested by randhawa. followed his guidance. 500 kms oil change will follow. I understood why randhawa has suggested to change. there were lot of small particles in oil filter. randhawa might be able to explain the technical terms. But whatever it is after change i'm feeling good for engaging gear.

Alright as suggested a separate thread will be created for DS.

Happy riding.
Endofdayz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2011, 19:50   #2174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussigreg View Post
sutripta,

I don't think centering before tightening is possible because the wheel has to be on to centre the boss by applying the brake, and wheel off to access the nuts inside the hub.
Hi,
You are right.
Modifying to have the nuts on the outside shouldn't be difficult. Will look ugly though.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 2nd December 2011, 07:42   #2175
BHPian

What is the difference between 110/90 - 18 (CL350) and 120/80 - 18 (CL500) rear tyres? I know what the numbers mean, I would like to know the functional differences between the two.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks