Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2011, 07:52   #2176
J.Ravi

Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_gr8est1 View Post
I would like to know the functional differences between the two.
The wider rear tyre ensures more road grip thereby more stability. There were complaints against fish-tailing at higher speeds. Hence, RE introduced 19" tyres for the front with the modified fork [for higher GC and better handling] and wider 120 mm tyres for the rear [for more stability].

Last edited by J.Ravi : 2nd December 2011 at 08:10.

Old 2nd December 2011, 08:20   #2177
BHPian

Thank you... But I would like to know the functional difference between having an aspect ratio of 80 as compared to 90 with the corresponding difference in width.

(I have an early 80's 350 and want a tyre upgrade. Hence the question.)
Old 2nd December 2011, 12:54   #2178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
NOT AT ALL ACCEPTABLE.

Please do not do any guessing when it comes to engine oil. fight with RE and make sure they rectify it. The bike should not drop even a single drop.
If we loose one a drop of blood, our body makes another drop in a few hours time, but the engine wont do so.
Minor sweating of oil after long rides, from certain weak spots, will be there, but should not be enough to accumulate in a drop and fall on ground.

Applying wax polish regularly will keep the finish in good shape. Not sure if we get any dust repelling products in India. Alternatively, u can use a cover when parking for longish hours. Dust on black was one of the factors which made me go for the teal green.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoghe View Post
There should be no leakage whatsoever if it has been fixed properly. Please park your bike at a different spot to see if the leakage continues or if it was oil residue from the previous leak.
RTO formalities done. My beast will get its identification number on Tuesday. have asked for a speical number, same as my Fiat Punter.

I checked the oil leak. not a drop. as advised by you guys i parked the bike on main stand as well as side stand on different locations and not a drop. What i had seen earlier was may be the residue from previous leak. All seems ok for now. I am facing a small issue with the front brake. Every time i engage it, i have to make sure to push it outwards to disengage it completely.

Spoke to the mechanic at the work shop, he has asked me to bring over the bike to him and he will recity the issue. Says its nothing major to worry about. I was thinking i might as well list down all queries and get them resolved in the first service which is only 150 kms away.

Going to get hold of that Amway kit soon and give the beast a nice clean over the weekend.

Regards,
Old 2nd December 2011, 14:05   #2179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_gr8est1 View Post
Thank you... But I would like to know the functional difference between having an aspect ratio of 80 as compared to 90 with the corresponding difference in width.

(I have an early 80's 350 and want a tyre upgrade. Hence the question.)
This reply presumes you know exact what aspect ratio of a tyre is.
Coming to your question, the functional difference between a tyre with an aspect ratio of 80 and 90 is the ride quality. A tyre with lower aspect ratio will have a hard ride but will be better in cornering than a tyre with 90 aspect ratio which will have a slightly more cushioned ride but compromised cornering ability. However these subtle difference can only be experienced in hard racing conditions or tracks days.

Hope this helps.........!!
bradhey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2011, 15:47   #2180
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield 500 Classic 4100 km Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussigreg View Post
reswaran,

If I'm right about your oil consumption there isn't a whole lot to worry about but I'll try to explain a common situation in more detail so you can get that piece of mind that we all love.

The rings aren't supposed to seal to the piston tightly, combustion pressure is supposed to creep into this clearance and force the rings out tight to the bore. With carbon build up from rich air/fuel mixture and lower cylinder pressures from extended periods of light load the ring grooves in the piston clog up and combustion gas connot do its job of forcing the rings outward. Then when load and cylinder pressure is increased combustion gas creeps between the rings and the bore and pressurize the crankcase. Some pressure and oil escapes through the crankcase breather and into the airbox, all oil seals come under extra pressure but shouldn't really fail, and some pressure and oil escapes back past the rings into the combustion chamber on the intake stroke where it is then burnt. This whole phenomenon is called "blow by".

Good news is its not too serious, it happens a lot and engines self clean under load, but sometimes we need to help them. Try this,
1. check that you haven't developed any oil leaks yet.
2. check oil breather into airbox for oilly signs of excessive venting.
3. buy a de-carbonizing fuel additive and use per instructions for about 3 tanks of petrol. It may be a good idea to use this stuff at half strength permanently if you town work leads to a gummed up cylinder.
4. find some good hills to work that additive through. You don't have go fast, just get that motor digging its toes in on and off etc.

This should make all the difference but if oil consumption persists the next step is a compression test. Your bike is way too young to have worn out rings or valve guides and I know C5s tend to carbon up easily around town so apart from shoddy assembly carbon is my best guess.
No oil leaks, no more rapid reduction in oil level. Looks like it was a one-off thing. Thanks aussiegreg!
Old 5th December 2011, 21:39   #2181
BHPian

I am new to the forum. I booked my DESERT STORM on 20 th of oct with ESS ARR Motors, Jhandewalan New Delhi. Was given a a waiting period of 2-3 months. I was quite satisfied with the time as this color was in huge demand.
But to my surprise the dealer called me on 18th Nov and asked me bring in the payment and take the delivery..
The Bull looked far better in meat than on site pictures. I was completely overwhelmed by the look of it. The color made the bike look one in million.
Enroute the dealership to my office, I was asked at least ten times about the color. And not to mention the attention I was getting
The dealer told me to keep the bike under 60 km /h till 500 km and then under 80km/h till 2000. Not a problem at all. I am more of a relaxed biker than an aggressive one.
Only two problems
1. the headlight focus is abrubt. Low beam in high beam and high beam seems to point the spaceships.....
2. After a week the the handle bar with head casket seems to be out of alignment from the front line. It is slightly tilted left when going in straight line.

Any idea how to correct the above two....

I will take the bike to service station after 500 km only and not one month.
Sadly I dont get much to ride as office is nearby.

Anyway...
THE BULL ROCKS...................................
Old 6th December 2011, 10:27   #2182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupkrverma View Post
1. the headlight focus is abrubt. Low beam in high beam and high beam seems to point the spaceships.....
2. After a week the the handle bar with head casket seems to be out of alignment from the front line. It is slightly tilted left when going in straight line.
The headlight alignment is due to the Stainless Steel Peak in front of the lamp assembly. It pushes the reflector dome back a bit as this is a design flaw. The peak was designed later and no groove made in the casing to accommodate that in the light housing.

If you ride a lot in the night, you can get rid of it and the focus will be spot on. The flip side - you lose the "classic look" albeit just.

Most of the owners who do not have much of night riding have opted to suffer the unusable beam focus.
Old 6th December 2011, 11:41   #2183
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Sadly I dont get much to ride as office is nearby.
That is precisely why there is no office on the weekends.

Get up early morning, warm-up the engine and leave your house and the city. Hit the highway. Feel the coolbreeze n breathe the clean. stop for a chai/breakfast on the roadside. Believe me, C5+highway is always a better combination then C5+office.
Old 6th December 2011, 11:46   #2184
BHPian

@nasirkaka : thats why I have bought this beauty. Being a motor enthusiast but trapped in the world of international financial markets, I just want to let loose on weekends. Though probably will have to hold the plans till 500 km running in.

@nareshtrao : I have talked to a C5 owner who gave me address of a mechanic in karolbagh who does something innovative like enlarging the upper hole of casing by using files and then placing an abrupt washer type somewhere inside to tilt the headlight assembly downwards. Will post once I get to him.
Old 6th December 2011, 15:16   #2185
BHPian

OT:

Who's the green C5 I see almost everyday morning on the Varthur-Gunjur-Carmelaram road headed towards Varthur from Carmelaram? If you're on the forum, I'm the other green C5 you're wondering about.
Old 6th December 2011, 15:48   #2186
BHPian

Quote:
If you're on the forum, I'm the other green C5 you're wondering about.
the RE crowd has evolved much! there were times when guys would stop by the roadside to get known. cheers...
Old 7th December 2011, 11:24   #2187
Senior - BHPian

I was told by the RE sales guy that if i buy a Desert storm in January 2012, i will get a 2012 manufactured bike, but i could not understand how it is possible, since the bikes manufactured in December will only be sold in January, do anyone has a idea how royal enfield manufactures since logically bike will be December manufactured only, this is only for information purpose, it does not include any debate over why i am concerned about the December manufacturing for a RE since i own one and know that it does not make any difference.
Old 7th December 2011, 17:57   #2188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
I was told by the RE sales guy that if i buy a Desert storm in January 2012, i will get a 2012 manufactured bike, but i could not understand how it is possible, since the bikes manufactured in December will only be sold in January, do anyone has a idea how royal enfield manufactures since logically bike will be December manufactured only, this is only for information purpose, it does not include any debate over why i am concerned about the December manufacturing for a RE since i own one and know that it does not make any difference.
Sometimes a manufacturing company would intentionally keep a certain 'lot' of cars/bikes behind in December and punch in the chassis number which would correspond to the manufacturing date of next year. This 'lot' is referred to as a Black-Buffer.
I dont know the exact reason for this, but I'll find out... And Im guessing this is whats happening in your case.
Old 7th December 2011, 18:29   #2189
BHPian

Well my Engine Case just cracked.

Can happen to anyone. Check this Topic

Link http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...gine-case.html
Old 8th December 2011, 15:53   #2190
BHPian

Hi to all Bulleteers
Its been 20 days of my DS500. My ride pattern is as follows
1. morning 10 am , starting the bull with ES, giving around 20 sec for idling, taking off at gentle pace of around 30-40 km, a redlight of around 60 sec left idling, reaching office just 800 meters away, parking.
2. A couple of trips to home during lunchtime in exactly the same manner
3. Taking my bull out in city on weekends for a 20-30 km ride at aroun 50-60 km.

Am I doing the right kind of running in, Please advise....Its only 260 km on the odo..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks