Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2013, 03:40   #3346
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

I believe a small amount of oil can be trapped in the valve area on the cylinder head but most of the oil on the Unit Construction Engines "disappears" into the left hand side cover. This is most noticeable if the side stand has been used prior to placing the bike on its centerstand.

The wet plate clutch and starter sprag clutch both use engine oil to provide lubrication and there is a direct communication between the inside of the cover and the oil sump. Once the oil gets into the left sidecover, much of it remains there, even though the bike is up-righted and placed onto its center stand.

Starting the engine will almost immediately pump out the trapped oil and return it to the sump allowing it to flow into the right side cover and appear in the oil level sight guage.

The lack of oil raghu.t.k found does sound like the dealer failed to adequately fill it before delivering the bike.

Because no mention was made of a very loud whacking/clacking sound I must assume there was enough oil in the engine to provide the needed oil pressure for the engine.
If the oil pump had been unable to pump enough oil to prevent damage, the hydraulic valve lifters would have not pumped up.
Had they failed to pump up the noise would have been so loud and obnoxious he would have been afraid to ride it 10 feet.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 14th November 2013 at 03:41.
ArizonaJim is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2013, 11:38   #3347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
I believe a small amount of oil can be trapped in the valve area on the cylinder head but most of the oil on the Unit Construction Engines "disappears" into the left hand side cover. This is most noticeable if the side stand has been used prior to placing the bike on its centerstand.

The wet plate clutch and starter sprag clutch both use engine oil to provide lubrication and there is a direct communication between the inside of the cover and the oil sump. Once the oil gets into the left sidecover, much of it remains there, even though the bike is up-righted and placed onto its center stand.

Starting the engine will almost immediately pump out the trapped oil and return it to the sump allowing it to flow into the right side cover and appear in the oil level sight guage.

The lack of oil raghu.t.k found does sound like the dealer failed to adequately fill it before delivering the bike.

Because no mention was made of a very loud whacking/clacking sound I must assume there was enough oil in the engine to provide the needed oil pressure for the engine.
If the oil pump had been unable to pump enough oil to prevent damage, the hydraulic valve lifters would have not pumped up.
Had they failed to pump up the noise would have been so loud and obnoxious he would have been afraid to ride it 10 feet.
@ArizonaJim: Thx for the explanation. You are right, there was no noise, and everything sounds normal, also no smoke or anything abnormal. Given that the earlier bullets were very famous for the oil being lost, through various points on the engine, it is one fear that I dont want to wake up to!!

If the oil moves to the left chamber, they could have provided a window on the left as well. This would give peace of mind for the owners as well.

Also what would happen to the excess oil, if the oil had moved to the left chamber and excess oil is poured.
Old 14th November 2013, 12:28   #3348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
Also what would happen to the excess oil, if the oil had moved to the left chamber and excess oil is poured.
Excessive oil pressure build up inside the engine. Which could easily blow some rubber oil seals. (But that is the smallest thing that could happen). Remember that excess oil will replace the air cavity required in the engine.

Excess oil will seep beyond the piston rings into the combustion chamber there by damaging them. And due to the excess oil the piston's downward movement will be restricted and it can affect the piston, cyl bore, valves, con rods etc etc..
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2013, 01:17   #3349
Distinguished - BHPian

One of the most common problems with excessive oil in the engine is that a great deal of it may be blown out thru the crankcase vent.

On the older RE's this usually filled the overflow can or ended up being blown all over the rear of the motorcycle.

With the newer RE's, the excess oil can end up in the air filter box where it can soak the paper air filter.
Once this has happened, there is no way of removing the oil from the filter and ignoring its presence will greatly reduce the fuel economy and often foul the spark plug.

The only fix for a oil saturated paper air filter is to totally replace it.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2013, 19:35   #3350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Excessive oil pressure build up inside the engine. Which could easily blow some rubber oil seals. (But that is the smallest thing that could happen). Remember that excess oil will replace the air cavity required in the engine.
Quote:

With the newer RE's, the excess oil can end up in the air filter box where it can soak the paper air filter.
Once this has happened, there is no way of removing the oil from the filter and ignoring its presence will greatly reduce the fuel economy and often foul the spark plug.

The only fix for a oil saturated paper air filter is to totally replace it.
Thanks @ArizonaJim and @man_of_steel, just back from the RE company service center at OMR. Looks like a case where the oil level was not checked at delivery of the new bike. There was no excess and no excess oil was out on the cover or air filter. I am now left to believe that it must be one of RE signatures!! The first thing I did on reaching the service center was to ask about it and also check the window. The level was indeed correct. They confirmed that there is no issue and no explanation on how the level could be low on a brand new bike. The other problem was one of the bulbs in the speedometer was replaced - the one for the turn indicators!

I have bought a 2.5 ltrs can just in case the problem is to recur, else will be used for top-ups So would keep a daily/weekly watch to ensure that its truly a miss and not a problem with the bike. Else was good.

Anyone in Chennai managed to get a good seat cover for the bike? The stray cats like to sit on top of the riding seat shows its affection!! Even they dont find the pillion comfortable

Last edited by raghu.t.k : 15th November 2013 at 19:49.
Old 15th November 2013, 19:45   #3351
J.Ravi

Quote:
The stray cats are like to sit on top of the riding seat shows its affection!
Even if you put on a seat cover, the stray cats will continue to sleep on the seat. The only way to protect your bike from them is by covering it with a cover or a bed-sheet as I do.

The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-dsc09956.jpg
  (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2013, 19:50   #3352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Even if you put on a seat cover, the stray cats will continue to sleep on the seat. The only way to protect your bike from them is by covering it with a cover or a bed-sheet as I do.

Attachment 1166630
Thanks, I am looking to get a cover soon. Probably until then I could use an old bedsheet.
raghu.t.k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2013, 23:17   #3353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, I am looking to get a cover soon. Probably until then I could use an old bedsheet.
If you have not already placed the order for a cover, then you may look for the RE branded one.

Yes, yes, I know, it is expensive, not that great in comparison to the local available options blah, blah, blah but it has the Royal Enfield written on it. I have seen the admiration in the eyes, when they look at the covered Royal Enfield, with Royal Enfield written on it. Even a parked RE demands admiration and respect.

The overall length, breadth and height is good. It covers my Amun-Ra in totality. The only drawback that I have observed is that after a ride, you cannot cover the motorcycle as the exhaust is very hot. But give it 30 minutes and it will be cool.

Sometimes, for passion, heart overrules the mind. RE cover is one such thing. Same like the Royal Enfield jackets etc. Though you can get better options outside, but the "badging" demands respect and admiration.

Just my thoughts

P.S. from usage point of view, cotton bedsheets with rope fixed at the ends for tying up, are the best off-course.

Last edited by Majumdarda : 15th November 2013 at 23:19.
Old 16th November 2013, 17:16   #3354
BHPian

Hi Friends and Experts, I have a query regarding my DS500.
For the past 2 days I am seeing an issue when starting the bike after a long hiatus of 8 to 10 hours. As soon I start it, I get a fire cracker sound and a distinct burning smell. No problems later while riding it.
Can any one guide me to what could be the issue? The bike is about 2.5 months old and has gone through the first servicing.

Thanks,
Manish
Old 16th November 2013, 20:02   #3355

Need some expert opinion regarding touring after the first service. I am planning on a 20 day tour of Karnataka and Goa (2300kms).
Will it be bad for the running-in? I dont intend on going over 80kmph for a prolonged period.

Any precaution i should take with regards to the engine?
Old 16th November 2013, 20:05   #3356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishw View Post
For the past 2 days I am seeing an issue when starting the bike after a long hiatus of 8 to 10 hours. As soon I start it, I get a fire cracker sound and a distinct burning smell. No problems later while riding it.
Assuming that you were starting with the starter. Definitely sounds like some wire getting short and the insulator melting. Most probably associated with the starter. Were you able to pinpoint the source of the smell? Try starting from the 2 wires connected to the starter motor below that round chrome cover. Or else check the starter relay near the battery. It will be a cylindrical looking thing with 2 wires(IIRC) from it.

Or try parking the bike in a dark area and check if you are able to pin point any sparks while starting.
Old 17th November 2013, 03:08   #3357
Distinguished - BHPian

@jundi
According to my Owners Manual, after the initial 500km and oil change you can freely ride your bike in the 80-90 kmph range.

IMO, after the first 500km your engine and transmission have gotten use to the slower speeds so it's time to expand their knowledge.

They recommend avoiding opening the throttle more than 3/4 of the way to wide open and not riding at just one speed for long periods of time.

While riding at higher speeds don't forget to watch everything that's ahead of you including the condition and roughness of the road. Plan your evasive responses to these and other obstacles well ahead of time.
I'm sure you will enjoy your trip.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 17th November 2013 at 03:10.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2013, 10:17   #3358

Quote:
@jundi
According to my Owners Manual, after the initial 500km and oil change you can freely ride your bike in the 80-90 kmph range.

IMO, after the first 500km your engine and transmission have gotten use to the slower speeds so it's time to expand their knowledge.

They recommend avoiding opening the throttle more than 3/4 of the way to wide open and not riding at just one speed for long periods of time.

While riding at higher speeds don't forget to watch everything that's ahead of you including the condition and roughness of the road. Plan your evasive responses to these and other obstacles well ahead of time.
I'm sure you will enjoy your trip.
Thanks a lot ArizonaJim!

BTW for the people who are new to royal enfields (like me), this link looks like a treasure trove. Check it out!
http://images.royalspares.com/part_m...shop_manual-I/
Old 17th November 2013, 16:53   #3359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Assuming that you were starting with the starter. Definitely sounds like some wire getting short and the insulator melting. Most probably associated with the starter. Were you able to pinpoint the source of the smell? Try starting from the 2 wires connected to the starter motor below that round chrome cover. Or else check the starter relay near the battery. It will be a cylindrical looking thing with 2 wires(IIRC) from it.

Or try parking the bike in a dark area and check if you are able to pin point any sparks while starting.
Thanks for replying @man_of_steel. Yes, I was using the starter to start. The source as far as I remember was somewhere on the left side below the engine. Maybe I will try to start it in a dark are as you suggest.
How harmful can it be? Would I need to immediately take it to the service station?

Thanks,
Manish
Old 17th November 2013, 20:23   #3360
Senior - BHPian

Switched to Wurth 15W50 oil today,initial impression seems to be good as engine sounds a bit smoother, than what it used to sound with whatever oil RE used.

Odo stands at 4444 kms in 23 months:(

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks