Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2013, 17:19   #3256
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

a bit OT:

Now that Continental GT is launched at Ace cafe, and reviews have started trickling-in, it is catching my attention as well.

i always found our C5 to be underpowered, and tried some mods for the same, which have not really done any wonders. After plonking in the carb, bike is been running like any other bull, without any hassles or troubles. i have not been experimenting much with my C5 much these days, esp after booking the 390. Was intending to put the C5 under knife for some major performance mods and weight reduction, after settling in with the 390, and after some savings.

Now this newly launched Continental GT is creating confusion. the specs, although not path breaking, do seem a bit exciting. Slightly more powerful at 29.1 bhp with similar torque figures, and about 15-20 kgs lighter. looks are subjective and i sort of like it. what exciting is the new cradle frame, bigger ports, better revving, better shocks, rear disk, aluminium rims, etc over my C5. Another point i heard was the engine is been tweaked under the guidance of JC Bose, who is a veteran with racing bulls.

I was looking at doing similar mods to my C5. Now the dilemma is whether to go ahead as planned, or sell the C5 and once the GT is launched and settled in india. Getting the GT seems to make more sense at this point, however, we are not sure of the price it will be launched at. I will be using the bull mostly for tours, and ktm for the daily usage. GTs riding posture is aggressive. I can overcome the handle bar issue by using a RD type. (i feel the bike will look nice only with RD bars). Will have to explore something for the foot rest position. a lot of all this is ambiguous at this point, some clarity will come after a decent test ride.
What are your thoughts on the above.
Old 25th September 2013, 17:42   #3257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Now this newly launched Continental GT is creating confusion. the specs, although not path breaking, do seem a bit exciting. Slightly more powerful at 29.1 bhp with similar torque figures, and about 15-20 kgs lighter. looks are subjective and i sort of like it. what exciting is the new cradle frame, bigger ports, better revving, better shocks, rear disk, aluminium rims, etc over my C5. Another point i heard was the engine is been tweaked under the guidance of JC Bose, who is a veteran with racing bulls.

I was looking at doing similar mods to my C5. Now the dilemma is whether to go ahead as planned, or sell the C5 and once the GT is launched and settled in india. Getting the GT seems to make more sense at this point, however, we are not sure of the price it will be launched at. I will be using the bull mostly for tours, and ktm for the daily usage. GTs riding posture is aggressive. I can overcome the handle bar issue by using a RD type. (i feel the bike will look nice only with RD bars). Will have to explore something for the foot rest position. a lot of all this is ambiguous at this point, some clarity will come after a decent test ride.
What are your thoughts on the above.
Nasirkaka, As you said and as per the reviews Ive came across till now, the new 535cc unit offers no surprises. It performs nearly similar to the 500efi and shares most of its characters. familiar vibrations tickling the handlebars from 110 kmph, But it is a bit more free revving and 'it is said' to appear a bit more less stressed at higher speeds. But still personal opinion, the engine IS a let down. But other bits like the double cradle frame, brembo brake units, front and rear PSDs are quite mouth watering features.

I have been a silent reader of this thread until I became a member and have read about your experiments with the C5s. Thanks a lot for all these information you and others have provided.

My suggestion would be IF the CGT is placed at around 2-2.1 Lacs and not in the 2.5 Lacs range, then it will be better to go for the CGT instead of keeping on working on the C5 as there is nothing much we can do about the frame. and brakes

Also regarding the seating position, yes, it is aggressive as per Royal Enfield standards. But from the pics the idea I got was that it is only as aggressive as the CBR's seating geometry. Not more than that. In which case it should be comfortable for long rides. Having said that, I also feel that putting in an RD handlebar and moving forward the footpegs will compromise the handling and character of the bike and kind of defeats its purpose!
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 18:15   #3258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nasirkaka, As you said and as per the reviews Ive came across till now, the new 535cc unit offers no surprises. It performs nearly similar to the 500efi and shares most of its characters. familiar vibrations tickling the handlebars from 110 kmph, But it is a bit more free revving and 'it is said' to appear a bit more less stressed at higher speeds. But still personal opinion, the engine IS a let down. But other bits like the double cradle frame, brembo brake units, front and rear PSDs are quite mouth watering features.

My suggestion would be IF the CGT is placed at around 2-2.1 Lacs and not in the 2.5 Lacs range, then it will be better to go for the CGT instead of keeping on working on the C5 as there is nothing much we can do about the frame. and brakes

Also regarding the seating position, yes, it is aggressive as per Royal Enfield standards. But from the pics the idea I got was that it is only as aggressive as the CBR's seating geometry. Not more than that. In which case it should be comfortable for long rides. Having said that, I also feel that putting in an RD handlebar and moving forward the footpegs will compromise the handling and character of the bike and kind of defeats its purpose!
very well articulated. We will get a better idea only after a longish test ride about the overall character/ergonomics. Wonder why RE is insisting with just one engine with its two variants and its derivatives. CGT being a totally new design with even a new frame and SA, they could have developed a new engine. Even an approach like KTM could work well. Look at the engine of duke 200 and 390. Externally they are very similar and fit in the same frame, but internally the engines are 95 % different. not just boring extra 35ccs with minor tweaks.
And as you said, a lot would depend on the price as well. REs are anyways overpriced, and projected 2.5L would be a robbery and discourage many including me. Priced a bit sensitively, and it may have some takers.
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 18:56   #3259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Wonder why RE is insisting with just one engine with its two variants and its derivatives. CGT being a totally new design with even a new frame and SA, they could have developed a new engine. Even an approach like KTM could work well. Look at the engine of duke 200 and 390. Externally they are very similar and fit in the same frame, but internally the engines are 95 % different. not just boring extra 35ccs with minor tweaks.
And as you said, a lot would depend on the price as well. REs are anyways overpriced, and projected 2.5L would be a robbery and discourage many including me. Priced a bit sensitively, and it may have some takers.
True! I was swept off my feet when I first saw the CGT. man it was a beauty!! I also expected that 35cc increase to do wonders in terms of performance as, initially from somewhere, I got an idea that it was supposed to produce 34-36Bhp! But only later when I saw the official spec sheet, I realized that RE is still the same old company who built my 2009 TBTS.. The same guys who built the C5s.. The exact same guys who took more than an year to change a poorly designed swingarm bush on the C5 and the very very same guys who just ignored the customer's uproar for a Lambda sensor.

We have to admit. RE is never interested in any major or drastic changes. They just want to surf on their wave of glory that they have now. But I dont think we can even complain, a whole majority of RE customers buy these machines for just the brand name, they will continue to do so no matter what happens. Sad to say this, but this is what is happening right now.

And I would say, even at 2.1 ish Lacs CGT doesnt stand a chance against the 390. But if the CGT was a 36bhp monster priced at even 2.3-2.5lacs I would have bought one, as it was a love at first sight! Now I dont believe in that crap anymore!

Last edited by man_of_steel : 25th September 2013 at 19:02.
man_of_steel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2013, 15:32   #3260
BHPian

I am an nri based in muscat and want to send my re cl500 back home to goa. I can handle the shipping part but need help with regard to handling of import clearance in goa and any formalities with regard to registration of the bike there. Could someone help with some info on this ?
Old 30th September 2013, 12:34   #3261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am an nri based in muscat and want to send my re cl500 back home to goa. I can handle the shipping part but need help with regard to handling of import clearance in goa and any formalities with regard to registration of the bike there. Could someone help with some info on this ?
Woudn't it be better to try and sell the bike in muscat, and get a new one in Goa. i belive the waiting period is also reduced a bit. As it is, dealing with indian customs, transport, Clearence, RTO, et al for registration is going to be a big pain.
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2013, 10:48   #3262
BHPian

Thanks guys for your advice and suggestions for the problem with my CL500 battery / self start. What i found out was after riding the bike for at least a couple of hours daily, i tried the self starter and though it sounded sluggish it worked!!! - After using the bike regularly for 5 days. This time made sure of disconnecting the terminals and insulating them before leaving home.
What i did notice was the bike is easier and quicker to kick start after fitting NGK iridium spark plugs and K&N filter RO5010. Next step will be changing to semi synthetic oil 5100 and fitting an aftermarket low rider seat.
Old 8th October 2013, 17:53   #3263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
Have you booked at Teknik motors, Ulsoor? Hope to see you there, am expecting delivery of my DS next week too.

A friend of mine who has a DS strongly recommends not to use any kind of paint polish or enhancements on the matt finish. He says a good wash is all that is required.

Happy thumping!!
I booked from HSR at Lalbagh road.

Thanks for all the tips. here is the bike!

Note from Support - Posts merged. Please use the Multi-Quote feature to reply to multiple posts or use the Edit button within 30 mins of the first post, to add more content to your post. This will avoid back to back posts. Thanks.

Tips on how to multi-quote can be viewed here.
Attached Thumbnails
The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-20130928_091609_resized.jpg  

Last edited by n_aditya : 9th October 2013 at 10:25. Reason: Posts merged
Sudden123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2013, 11:11   #3264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudden123 View Post
I booked from HSR at Lalbagh road.

Thanks for all the tips. here is the bike!
Have just got my call too from Teknik. Hope to join you on a ride soon.

Should be a good Dusshera gift to myself.
Old 9th October 2013, 14:01   #3265
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys,

Have a query here. Mine is a '09 TBTS, lately it has developed a leak from the gear lever area (LHS Crank case). I replaced the oil seal inside the gear lever spindle thrice and still the leak persists at an alarming rate (Everymorning I can see a spill if the bike is on side stand). Also this leak managed to drain out more than 80% of oil on a 750kms continuous ride, Thats how bad it is. Any idea what it could be?

PS: The leak started after the bike took a fall to the left side which broke the foot peg clean off from the stay, so the gear lever should have taken a beating.

Last edited by man_of_steel : 9th October 2013 at 14:09.
Old 9th October 2013, 23:43   #3266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Hi Guys,

Have a query here. Mine is a '09 TBTS, lately it has developed a leak from the gear lever area (LHS Crank case). I replaced the oil seal inside the gear lever spindle thrice and still the leak persists at an alarming rate (Everymorning I can see a spill if the bike is on side stand). Also this leak managed to drain out more than 80% of oil on a 750kms continuous ride, Thats how bad it is. Any idea what it could be?

PS: The leak started after the bike took a fall to the left side which broke the foot peg clean off from the stay, so the gear lever should have taken a beating.
Oil leak from LHS chamber could be from the chain tensioner also. If you are sure its from the gear lever shaft then;

1. Shaft seal is of wrong size/bad quality(if not changed at the workshop)
2. Was fitted the wrong way
3. Gear lever shaft is damaged(bend)

If all the above things are ok then open the RHS chamber and see if you haven't damaged the black spacer on RHS side of the gear lever shaft and the shaft itself.
Randhawa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2013, 12:50   #3267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
Oil leak from LHS chamber could be from the chain tensioner also. If you are sure its from the gear lever shaft then;

1. Shaft seal is of wrong size/bad quality(if not changed at the workshop)
2. Was fitted the wrong way
3. Gear lever shaft is damaged(bend)

If all the above things are ok then open the RHS chamber and see if you haven't damaged the black spacer on RHS side of the gear lever shaft and the shaft itself.
Hi Randhawa, Thanks for answering. No, it is not from the chain tensioner. The point 2 you have mentioned is a possibility. The same mechanic changed it all the 3 times. I will get it done with another guy this time. I also had similar thought as the point 3 you mentioned. Worst case, any idea of the cost that might be involved in the replacement/repair of the shaft?
Old 10th October 2013, 18:11   #3268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Randhawa, Thanks for answering. No, it is not from the chain tensioner. The point 2 you have mentioned is a possibility. The same mechanic changed it all the 3 times. I will get it done with another guy this time. I also had similar thought as the point 3 you mentioned. Worst case, any idea of the cost that might be involved in the replacement/repair of the shaft?
If the seal fitting was wrong then the right way to fit this is the flat side goes in the chamber.

Max expenditure for the shaft should be around 1k and they would probably order it for you. If the shaft has to be replaced then do get the RHS chamber seal replaced.
Old 10th October 2013, 18:55   #3269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
If the seal fitting was wrong then the right way to fit this is the flat side goes in the chamber.

Max expenditure for the shaft should be around 1k and they would probably order it for you. If the shaft has to be replaced then do get the RHS chamber seal replaced.
Ok, I will check if they are putting the seal flat side first. Instead of asking them to open up everything and checking the shaft I am planning to replace the seal correctly once more and watch for a couple of days if the leak persists. If the leak re-appears I will ask them to change the shaft and the seal on the RHS chamber as you mentioned.

One more query I would like to raise here. My front shock has become stiff and I am not getting the same play in the fork as before. Could this stiffness be due to over fill of the fork oil? I brought the issue to the mechanics notice on the last service but he says its perfectly allright. But I know for sure that the fork has gone stiff. Shall I try refilling the fork oil to the correct quantity (I believe it is 265ml as per the manual. Correct me If I am wrong) Or could it be a bent fork??

Thanks Randhawa.
Old 10th October 2013, 22:54   #3270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok, I will check if they are putting the seal flat side first. Instead of asking them to open up everything and checking the shaft I am planning to replace the seal correctly once more and watch for a couple of days if the leak persists. If the leak re-appears I will ask them to change the shaft and the seal on the RHS chamber as you mentioned.

One more query I would like to raise here. My front shock has become stiff and I am not getting the same play in the fork as before. Could this stiffness be due to over fill of the fork oil? I brought the issue to the mechanics notice on the last service but he says its perfectly allright. But I know for sure that the fork has gone stiff. Shall I try refilling the fork oil to the correct quantity (I believe it is 265ml as per the manual. Correct me If I am wrong) Or could it be a bent fork??

Thanks Randhawa.

When you will open the the LHS chamber, inspect the shaft also for any signs of damage. Just correcting myself, its not the seal on RHS chamber. It's the Chamber gasket you need to replace once you open up the RHS chamber.

If there is any damage to the front forks then you will have handling issues or leaking issues only.

Correct volume for each fork is 195ml and if over filled then it will become hard and it will leak sooner or later.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks