Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2013, 16:16   #3286

Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
The Bullet Standard 500 is being manufactured at the new factory only.
i beg to differ, doing a lil online research i found the below article. Maybe, now the bullet 500 is also being manufactured there.

http://www.zigwheels.com/news-featur...st-bike/16245/

Useful, but doesnt say if DS models are only manufacture in the new plant or not. Looks like the paint shop is state of the art.
Old 30th October 2013, 18:59   #3287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jundi View Post
i beg to differ, doing a lil online research i found the below article. Maybe, now the bullet 500 is also being manufactured there.

http://www.zigwheels.com/news-featur...st-bike/16245/

Useful, but doesnt say if DS models are only manufacture in the new plant or not. Looks like the paint shop is state of the art.
That information is from someone of importance from the RE. I do not foresee any reasons as to why he will give misguided information.
Majumdarda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2013, 21:03   #3288
BHPian

RE showroom guys in Bangalore have really pissed me off by giving different waiting periods for black CL5. One guys says 6-7 months and another 5. When I checked with a dealer in Mangalore which is my hometown, he quotes "Sir you will get it in 2 months!".

Mangalore guy is more promising of his dates, however problem with purchasing the bike from their is, since I live in Bangalore, I have take her here by driving 350 odd kms well before the first service. So guys I need your advice if there are any concerns or issue which may crop up if I took her for a long ride before first service.

Also during my visit to my showroom, I noticed that the newer CL5 comes with 20ltrs tank, though RE is yet to update their website a welcome change for sure. I don't know if this is my ignorance because I never noticed it in my earlier visits.
Old 1st November 2013, 23:48   #3289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonHawk View Post
Also during my visit to my showroom, I noticed that the newer CL5 comes with 20ltrs tank, though RE is yet to update their website a welcome change for sure. I don't know if this is my ignorance because I never noticed it in my earlier visits.
This is some news to me as well. Did not hear anything officially as yet. a 20 Liter petrol tank will definitely be a boon for long distances, though for touring purpose, I would suppose the rider's comfort for his bum is more with the Thunderbirds. [again just my understanding, may be wrong]

Please can you have this verified from other dealerships as well. 20Liter petrol tank, if true, then a definite WOW...
Old 2nd November 2013, 06:17   #3290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
This is some news to me as well. Did not hear anything officially as yet. a 20 Liter petrol tank will definitely be a boon for long distances, though for touring purpose, I would suppose the rider's comfort for his bum is more with the Thunderbirds. [again just my understanding, may be wrong] Please can you have this verified from other dealerships as well. 20Liter petrol tank, if true, then a definite WOW...
This is old news;AFAIK only DS500 is coming with a 20L fuel tank rest are still on the old smaller ones.I noticed this about 2 months ago,DS 500 from same stock had 20L tanks where as Chrome 500 and other 500's had normal 13L tanks.
Old 2nd November 2013, 12:26   #3291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
This is old news;AFAIK only DS500 is coming with a 20L fuel tank rest are still on the old smaller ones.I noticed this about 2 months ago,DS 500 from same stock had 20L tanks where as Chrome 500 and other 500's had normal 13L tanks.
Yes I agree initially only DS was coming with 20L tanks but now all CL5 are having 20L. After seeing your comment I too had that doubt so I just visited showroom and confirmed
Definitely for touring perspective it an added advantage and I hope riders will love it.
Old 2nd November 2013, 12:32   #3292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
slightly disagree with the above from my little experience of owning a 2008 machismo 350 and a 2010 classic 500. the AVL demanded much less maintenance, cost of running was much lower, and fuel efficiency was good as well, but cant be compared to the 500 as the cubes differ.

My point is the older bulls are 50+ years old designs, when manufacturing technology available was almost zilch compared to date. And they must be credited for still giving good competition to a 2010 all new UCE engine. In other words, UCE is inferior compared to what it could have actually been.
to add to that, poor quality of adulterated materials, cheap parts makes ownership experience even miserable. For example, a few days back, my horn clamp (made out of metal) broke for the 3rd time in 3 years. This time, i did not buy a RE spare, i got a clamp made at a local metal workshop and i am fully confident it will last long.

Where as, if you open a 60's engine and examine the quality of materials, be it the internals, casing etc, there is a stark visible positive difference. Just buff a 60s engine case nicely, and it will shine more then a new one from 2013, thanks to the quality aluminium.

its not feasible to duplicate all the possibility of mods on a carburetor engine to a EFI engine. Even with after market ecu/maps, the possibilities and its effects are limited on an EFI, and much more on carbs. and the much higher cost of mods is another factor against the efi's.
I agree with you on the quality of parts point, not just bullets but anything that was made in the early 50s/60's, may it be bicycles/cars etc were made with a mind as if they were going into war. Built like a Tank.

The parts were superior and unadulterated. I am a guitar player, even with the new technology these days, the guitar made are JUNK, from left over wood and what not, Same stands true for guitar amplifiers, those were made with Vacuum tubes those days, and they sounded so sweet. The effects pedals, were made with all analog circuitry, these had noise, yet those still sound more musical than the Solid State/IC/DSP based nonsense.

I make clones of such pedals/Amps, very few in numbers, but then, not everyone wants to go with old analog/good quality stuff. since they are a little heavy/bulky and noisy, even with the best parts. but then the tone cannot be compromised and to get that tone, the parts have to be right and broken in.

The mode now is quick/maintenance free/all in one/do it all products with less efforts etc. Which has its own pros and cons. Will they last a long time? Yet to be seen. Too early to comment on such things. People used to take the time out and build their homes on a plot, its all about getting an apartment these days, since no one has the time and energy and more importantly the will to put an effort and build their own home. Property rates are secondary, if people were to do things thinking of LONG term (I do not mean 20 years here) I mean more than that, they would do things that will last forever, for generations to come, an independent home is forever, apartments are for 30/40 years at best. You spend tons on it today to live only for 40 years? what are you leaving behind for your future generations? NOTHING.

Having said all this, I also chose the 350 UCE over CI. and being a big time DIY'er in Electronics/Electrical/Mechanical/Musical LOL and in a lot more areas. I can keep that thing spanking all day long. Just saying.
gearbox is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2013, 09:30   #3293
BHPian

Can someone please confirm if the Chrome models are also getting the 20L tanks? If yes, can this be a seamless change for the earlier models?
Old 3rd November 2013, 17:28   #3294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudipta View Post
Can someone please confirm if the Chrome models are also getting the 20L tanks? If yes, can this be a seamless change for the earlier models?
AFAIK 20L tanks are available in all CL5, ofcourse this is what my dealer told me. More so these tanks will available in service centers and if required people with earlier models can upgrade there tanks too.
Since tank capacity doesn`t make much of a difference, even CL350 guys too can think of upgrading it.
DragonHawk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2013, 19:45   #3295
BHPian

The Royal Enfield website still shows 14.5 ± 1 Ltr for the DS and 13.5 Ltr for the C5.

Will check with my local workshop regarding 20lt tanks once the Diwali break is over. It will be welcome news indeed if this turns out to be true. Not that I haven't found a petrol pump every 300 kms, the knowledge that one can go further is always comforting.
Old 3rd November 2013, 20:00   #3296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Whats your reason for conversion? if efi is performing well, then might as well stick with it and save money
Thanks for replying, I'm not considering the conversion because I have problems with the bike. Having owned the bike for a while now, the urge to tinker and modify it is surfacing slowly. I saw a very nicely done up C5 passing me a while back, stripped down to its bare bones and looking very nimble.
Old 3rd November 2013, 21:56   #3297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonHawk View Post
AFAIK 20L tanks are available in all CL5, ofcourse this is what my dealer told me. More so these tanks will available in service centers and if required people with earlier models can upgrade there tanks too.
Since tank capacity doesn`t make much of a difference, even CL350 guys too can think of upgrading it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adises View Post
The Royal Enfield website still shows 14.5 ± 1 Ltr for the DS and 13.5 Ltr for the C5.

Will check with my local workshop regarding 20lt tanks once the Diwali break is over. It will be welcome news indeed if this turns out to be true. Not that I haven't found a petrol pump every 300 kms, the knowledge that one can go further is always comforting.
I had written to Customer service of Royal Enfield and they informed that neither DS or Other Classic 500s have a 20L tank.
Old 3rd November 2013, 22:08   #3298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
I had written to Customer service of Royal Enfield and they informed that neither DS or Other Classic 500s have a 20L tank.
Nonsense;I have seen a DS500 with a 20L tank at the showroom,not sure of other 500's though.
Old 3rd November 2013, 22:43   #3299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Nonsense;I have seen a DS500 with a 20L tank at the showroom,not sure of other 500's though.
I have seen a couple of DS with wider tanks, when asked the showroom guys and the mechanic said there is no bump in the capacity and its just a change in the shape of the tank.
Old 4th November 2013, 00:57   #3300
Senior - BHPian

Gave the bull a diwali wash today. Got a shampoo and wax from reliance mart and gave it a good make over.

Ready for the festive period. Tried to scrub out a lot of rust. Did mange to get rid of fair amount.

A few pics for reference. I forgot to take pics of the "before" state. Would have been a nice comparison. Toom me a good 2 hrs. Was fun.

Name:  ForumRunner_20131104_005602.png
Views: 1890
Size:  795.6 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20131104_005619.png
Views: 1586
Size:  770.6 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20131104_005649.png
Views: 1611
Size:  831.8 KB

Regards,

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 4th November 2013 at 00:58.
h@r$h@l is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks