Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2010, 06:01   #16
BHPian

Great post mate! You reminded me of my KH!

I still have it somewhere. I will get a complete restoration done on it by next year. I want to keep it as a great memory!

PS: I never let her touch the pavement. Maybe I was always very cautious even when I was 16 :P
Old 3rd March 2010, 08:22   #17
Senior - BHPian

Arre this year has just begun!! Don't let her be until then!
Old 3rd March 2010, 09:01   #18
BHPian

What a write-up Jayanth... She still looks great.

A few years back I searched high & Low for a Shogun in B'lore, but settled for a Shaolin as I couldn't find one! Its a shame that you lost yours so quickly!

Cheers!
Old 3rd March 2010, 09:35   #19
BHPian

HI,

I too have a Kinetic which is 20 years old now! I just renewed the RC book 2 weeks back

It has done 73000KMS with no engine work. I can still zoom out of traffic on green till I reach 50km/h then all the new bikes overtake me

Reoccurring expenses are belt, clutch bush.
Attached Thumbnails
Long Term Review - Kinetic Honda - 53,000 KMS in 14 Years!-kine_1.jpg  

Old 3rd March 2010, 11:47   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent thread!
10 yrs before nothing (In that price range) can beat the KH's quick sprint from traffic signals until a certain distance.

I'm able to relate to this thread a lot. I had a scooty with more or less similar experiences except for the the sad part that it was sold long before

We took a couple of scootys and KH's to the Besant Nagar-Broken bridge. Dragged the bikes near the water and drove them filmi style splashing water all across. When we tried to start the bikes after a while none of them would start! Walked all the way to besant nagar bus stand to find a mechanic. Seems water and sand had entered the carburator!! After cleaning them it was all fine. What a day it was!
Old 3rd March 2010, 17:39   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Yeah... we gotta do a T-BHP drive to these places one of these days. Am sure most of these places will still be untouched by tourists and still in pristine state!
Yeah, KK district is still by and large untouched by tourists but the government is trying to get a lot of them to visit so has destroyed the natural beauty in these places in the name of tourism!

Quote:
Umm.. Not sure if that was for me or ElantraGT - I studied in E.D.Willmott SDA School (Vetturnimadam, upto 5th), SLBGHSS (6th to 10th) and CSI (11th 12th)!
Great to meet someone who studied in the same school - though I hated it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElantraGT View Post
Naveen, No I did my schooling in chennai, but kottar is my native. Used to go there during the summer holidays and have fun for 2 months. Those are good old days. Last month on my to kanyakumari I did try these curves with my elantra and I was amazed with the vehicles handling.
Yeah, I can imagine - the roads are good.
Old 3rd March 2010, 18:04   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom_rider View Post
What a write-up Jayanth... She still looks great.

A few years back I searched high & Low for a Shogun in B'lore, but settled for a Shaolin as I couldn't find one! Its a shame that you lost yours so quickly!

Cheers!
Believe me, some of my friends from school still have not forgiven me for that! Forget them, I have not either

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post
HI,

I too have a Kinetic which is 20 years old now! I just renewed the RC book 2 weeks back

It has done 73000KMS with no engine work. I can still zoom out of traffic on green till I reach 50km/h then all the new bikes overtake me

Reoccurring expenses are belt, clutch bush.
Boy! 20 years and going strong! Have her painted up / replace the panels like I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Excellent thread!
10 yrs before nothing (In that price range) can beat the KH's quick sprint from traffic signals until a certain distance.

I'm able to relate to this thread a lot. I had a scooty with more or less similar experiences except for the the sad part that it was sold long before

We took a couple of scootys and KH's to the Besant Nagar-Broken bridge. Dragged the bikes near the water and drove them filmi style splashing water all across. When we tried to start the bikes after a while none of them would start! Walked all the way to besant nagar bus stand to find a mechanic. Seems water and sand had entered the carburator!! After cleaning them it was all fine. What a day it was!
LOL... yup, I can relate to something similar too! I guess its a part of those growing up days that sticks nostalgia on the scooter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Great to meet someone who studied in the same school - though I hated it!
Just saw your PM that you my senior

Lets meet up sometime - maybe when I come to blore.
Old 4th March 2010, 00:55   #23
Senior - BHPian

Good write up mate..i too have a 2000 Kinetic Zx Done 40,000kms+, No engine work done, self start works well just the problem is with mileage.Recently i bought another scoot this time a Suzuki, but dont really feel like selling of the K-zx.
Attached Thumbnails
Long Term Review - Kinetic Honda - 53,000 KMS in 14 Years!-image081.jpg  

Old 4th March 2010, 11:24   #24
BHPian

I got her painter at 55000KMS i.e. 5.5yrs back just before last RC renewal. It was completely stripped to chassis and everything repainted with complete tinkering.

Also recently i.e. 3 weeks i replaced all light covers, front dome frame and front rim. This pic is a little old. Strange thing, parts of kinetic is slowly fading away from JC Road as its not much in use. I could not get old style back side indicator light cover!!

Due to Bangalore traffic and parking space issues. It gets scratched every single day on its sides due to other vehicles crash guards/leg rests/etc

And yes, Electric Start works too even in oldest start!

Currently it gives 25KMs/L with premixed oil i.e. 80ML oil for 200 Rs of petrol.
Old 5th March 2010, 00:47   #25
Senior - BHPian

Well, well.. I am amazed at the mileage my scooter gives <touchwood>! I have consistently gotten above 40 KMPL in Madras city. And I am not sloth while riding her.

I'd suggest all KH owners to try control the speed using only the accelerator - and use the brake minimally during to day to day driving conditions. And decelerate early enough that you apply the brakes after the CVT has let go of the engine (around 25 KMPH or so).
Old 7th March 2010, 00:53   #26
BHPian

Nice. Why rebored? replacing the bore-pistion kit is a better option next time!
Though, speed is best controlled using the gears or the throttle, in this case so skidding can completely be avoided.

We've got a 1990 DX one running on a 110cc kit currently. It still gives about 45-50 KmPl with the carb set slightly above dead beat and can also pretty quickly get to 50 KmPh when needed. But, 'have replaced every part on it almost. Everything except the handle, meter, wheel hubs, petrol tank. Only the bore kit, clutch pulleys and belt replaced on the engine, as it was quicker than repainting- a one day job. But the new parts in some way or ther other lack in quality. Was all done for getting the FC done but it hasn't happened in the last 5 years!
Old 7th March 2010, 23:25   #27
Senior - BHPian

@gendarmee - Whoa, a 20 year old!!

I always asked the mechanic the last two times to get a bore-piston kit, but they somehow rebore it - and say the bore is still strong!

And i really do not want a fried engine one more time on this baby, so trying hard to no have that "next time.." situation!!
Old 8th March 2010, 10:56   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@gendarmee - Whoa, a 20 year old!!

I always asked the mechanic the last two times to get a bore-piston kit, but they somehow rebore it - and say the bore is still strong!

And i really do not want a fried engine one more time on this baby, so trying hard to no have that "next time.." situation!!
I would suggest that you give it Nulon treatment after a few thousand KM.
Old 22nd March 2010, 23:05   #29
SAS
BHPian

Need help to adjust carburetor

Guys, I need help to adjust the carburretor for my Kinetic ZX Zoom (2001 model).

Please see the attached image. There are 2 adjustment screws:
1. Adjustment Screw A: I think this controls the air-fuel ratio. If I tighten this fully, I think this makes it more rich and vice versa. Please confirm if this is true. How should I adjust this one?
2. Adjustment screw B is the idling screw, so I'm pretty familiar with it.

3. I'm not sure with item "C" is in the picture. Is there supposed to be some screw there or something like that?

4. Also can somebody outline what is the recommended way to adjust the carb on the kinetic? Thanks in advance for your replies...
Attached Thumbnails
Long Term Review - Kinetic Honda - 53,000 KMS in 14 Years!-carb-640.jpg  

Old 23rd March 2010, 00:11   #30
Senior - BHPian

You are right about A and B. Its been more than 10 years since I touched these stuff, so here is from my memory:

A is fully tightened and then opened 1 1/2 turns. And now B is adjusted for idling - remember the engine tends to idle more when hot, and if your button start is still working, you wouldn't have a problem in the engine switching off at idle

I will check about C tomorrow, but there should be a tube - not sure what for it is, its just open ended, that seems to be missing.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks