Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2010, 05:02   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
...I swicthed over to Battery power for the headlamp and still use the High and the Low beams in this power mode too. I primarly did this since the intensity of the beam was bad at low revs and since it was a gearless scooter, revving like how one does in neutral/engaged clutch on geared bikes to gain better beam wasn't possible and also meant premature wearing of clutch.
Whenever I was riding normally, I changed over to dynamo/alternator power for the headlight.
Whoa, thats one hell of an idea!! Please tell us what else you did on the KH, and consider writing a ownership review / log too!!
Old 28th March 2010, 22:14   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Whoa, thats one hell of an idea!! Please tell us what else you did on the KH, and consider writing a ownership review / log too!!
In fact, My Kine was sold for a mere 5k in 2008 since my wife wanted an Activa! I can still write a long term review though I am no more the owner!!

Like I mentioned earlier, I serviced my Kine myself that included everything including a Engine head replacement, Clutch overhaul, transmission system lubrication.(I had got a custom made clutch cover assembley holder (mechanics used to call this Puller) to help me distamtle the clutch.

Moreover, KH owners will be aware of the rattling sounds from the plastics on the handlebars, Side covers and 'et al. I personally experienced this so much since I travelled on a pretty bad stretch everyday then. To overcome this, I had used rubber strips from a cycle tube and pasted along the gaps making it totally rattlefree.

Periodic replacement of Spark plug, Cables which Included accelerator cum Oil Pump cable, Brakes ensured smoother operation/running all the way.

And yes, for not wanting to spend bucks on a new fuel indicator when It conked, I repaired it this way:

1. Since the fuel Indicator came with the Indicator assembly and the float in the tank, the suspect could be either of the two. To rule out the float, I used a known good float of another kine (my uncle too had purchased one within a year after my Kine) and confirmed that all was well.
2. The only culprit now was the Indicator assembly on the handle bar console. I opened the console and removed the indicator assembly which was connected with 3 wires and had a coil with 2/3 (IIRC) resistors. Turning the ignition on and using a multimeter (came in hany due to my Engg days then!), I found the faulty resistor and by its color code, just went to an electronic dealer and purchased resistor for a mere 50ps and soldered it to its position and voila!!! My Fuel Indicator started working!!

Once my speedo gave up but I had to give it for repair since there was hardly anything that I could understand to figure out the fault though the Speedo cable, Worm were functional.

But yes, I do have some greatest memories of my indulgence with the KH that includes travelling distances of 220 Kms from Bangalore to Belur in 3.5 Hours with a quick stop and speeds between 60-70kmph (of course, 80kmph was the max my kine ever reached).

I think I WILL write an ownership review sooner mate! Thanks for waking me up. I started sharing my inputs only when I realised that it was on a good old Kinetic Honda which was my first bike and I would've clocked more than a lakh kms in 10 years!

Last edited by paragsachania : 28th March 2010 at 22:23.
Old 28th March 2010, 22:37   #48
Senior - BHPian

Wow a long term report of KH! Nice writeup, phoenix.

Even i have a KH, it has done 1lac kms in 10 yrs.
Old 28th March 2010, 23:00   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Wow a long term report of KH! Nice writeup, phoenix.

Even i have a KH, it has done 1lac kms in 10 yrs.
Man!! Even your KH seems to be high running like your pete'ed rocket Planning for a review / inputs?!!
Old 28th April 2010, 18:07   #50
BHPian

We have one too at our home, a '95 model DX. Runs like a dream, and FE is around 35-40 kmpl. I wouldn't want to sell it as long as i can help.
Old 26th June 2011, 14:13   #51
BHPian

Re: Long Term Review - Kinetic Honda - 53,000 KMS in 14 Years!

Great to learn that Kinetic Honda also has a fan following

BTW, for the headlight bulb replacing, do i need to change the cutout also? or something like that ?
Or its just "plug & play" ?
Old 26th June 2011, 21:33   #52
SAS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Great to learn that Kinetic Honda also has a fan following

BTW, for the headlight bulb replacing, do i need to change the cutout also? or something like that ?
Or its just "plug & play" ?
It's pretty much plug and play since the wattage is the same, no need for any relays or cutouts. It's just that the light is brighter and much more whiter. It definitely makes driving in the night much safer.
SAS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2011, 12:49   #53
BHPian

Start up with a Kinetic Honda

Hi Bhpians,

I got myself a 1999 well kept Kinetic Honda. The bike is in a condition that everything works. Im new to gearless scooters infact even 2 wheelers for that matter. Got it checked by a mechanic (dont think he is an expert).

Had a couple of observations/queries and mechanics version,
  • There is a lot of smoke on start ups, the amount of smoke finally reduces on some running. The mechanic said the piston rings may have to be changed.
    What do you think causes it ? Is mech. version true ? What can be the cost ?

• The bike wobbles at high speed and feel a certain pull at times.
    Mechanic has said he will have to change the engine bush. the engine will have to be removed taken to the turner for a fit ment. Cost- Rs. 350 for part+ 350 for labor + turners charge.
    Is this true ? Are the charges normal.

• What is the fuel average I can expect ? The bike is 12 years old with 32k kms running.

• There is a slight slack in the accelerator, not like Activa. Mechanic says its normal for Kinetic. Is this true ?

• The bike does not accelerate over 60 km/hr.

All bike gurus/bhpians with experience of Kinetic Honda please respond.
Old 10th July 2011, 09:51   #54
BHPian

Re: Start up with a Kinetic Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
Hi Bhpians,

I got myself a 1999 well kept Kinetic Honda. The bike is in a condition that everything works. Im new to gearless scooters infact even 2 wheelers for that matter. Got it checked by a mechanic (dont think he is an expert).

Had a couple of observations/queries and mechanics version,
  • There is a lot of smoke on start ups, the amount of smoke finally reduces on some running. The mechanic said the piston rings may have to be changed.
    What do you think causes it ? Is mech. version true ? What can be the cost ?
  • The bike wobbles at high speed and feel a certain pull at times.
    Mechanic has said he will have to change the engine bush. the engine will have to be removed taken to the turner for a fit ment. Cost- Rs. 350 for part+ 350 for labor + turners charge.
    Is this true ? Are the charges normal.
All bike gurus/bhpians with experience of Kinetic Honda please respond.
Hello,
1. The wobbling is due the bent wheel rims. I also face this same problem. You will have to figure out which one is more faulty. You can try changing the front wheel with your spare (if it is in good condition). That way can figure out the problem.
2. The white smoke during start-up is probably due to worn-out rings. Mine has the same problem too .
Old 19th July 2011, 16:12   #55
BHPian

The wobbling has now reduced thanks to a fork tuning done.

The smoke too has reduced due to an oil pump setting.

I however have fuel efficiency issues remain, what is recommended to be checked ?

I also have researched that the KH has an automatic choke ? what is its lifespan and the chances of it going kaput ?
Old 19th July 2011, 17:50   #56
BHPian

Quote:
The smoke too has reduced due to an oil pump setting.
You mean to say the smoke reduced just by setting the oil pump? Are you sure? I will have to check mine. It could not be as it only emits when cold. When the engine heats up, the smoke is gone.

For the fuel economy, you only need to set the carb. Or maybe overhaul the whole thing if it does not work out.
Old 19th July 2011, 18:49   #57
BHPian

Quote:
You mean to say the smoke reduced just by setting the oil pump? Are you sure? I will have to check mine. It could not be as it only emits when cold. When the engine heats up, the smoke is gone.

For the fuel economy, you only need to set the carb. Or maybe overhaul the whole thing if it does not work out.
Hi KK- if you have smoke on start up then its oil in the combustion chamber. the oil pump setting has to be reduced. If this does not work you have to change the oil seals.

the carb setting is fine as per my mechanic, Im concerned about the automatic choke because I dont know the health of it.
Old 16th October 2011, 10:35   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Hi KK- if you have smoke on start up then its oil in the combustion chamber. the oil pump setting has to be reduced. If this does not work you have to change the oil seals.

the carb setting is fine as per my mechanic, Im concerned about the automatic choke because I dont know the health of it.
Hi,
Can you explain how i adjust the oil pump setting?
Old 16th October 2011, 10:48   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
Can you explain how i adjust the oil pump setting?
The throttle cable gets forked into two- One goes into the carb and the other one is for the oil pump to ensure fuel and oil get in proportionately depending on throttle position.
Just below the exhaust outlet (on the head unit), you will find this oil pump. With one hand on the throttle, try twisting the throttle and at the same time you,ll see something rotating (oil pump needle) below the exhaust outlet.
At full throttle position, the ideal oil pump setting shall be such that the needle like part on the pump will exactly get positioned against a fixed mark on the chasis.
Now by adjusting the cable nut near the pump, one can set the oil pump pump in more or less oil by setting the needle position (at full throttle) accordingly.
Just open the plastic body below the seat and you'll see what I am talking about. (behind the battery and below the exhaust outlet on the head)
Old 16th October 2011, 11:19   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
At full throttle position, the ideal oil pump setting shall be such that the needle like part on the pump will exactly get positioned against a fixed mark on the chasis.
Now by adjusting the cable nut near the pump, one can set the oil pump pump in more or less oil by setting the needle position (at full throttle) accordingly.
Just open the plastic body below the seat and you'll see what I am talking about. (behind the battery and below the exhaust outlet on the head)
So i need to rev it to the full?
But i'm bit worried about resetting it as setting it too low can harm the engine. The problem with mine is that it emits smoke; believe me - it emits like a gas gun; when started from cold. As the engine heats up it reduces. Also the battery is flat so requires a lot of kicks. The engine also sounds hoarse and hesitates to be revved till it is warm.
I'm on the lookout for a good mechanic who can restore the mechanicals & suspension.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks