Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2010, 09:36   #46
BHPian

GPS Tracker as Anti theft

I ve seen a GPS tracking device in ebay- available for about Rs5500/-. Its a matchbox size device with inbuilt battery and a mobile SIM which you can hide somewhere on your vehicle- provision for external power supply from 12V car battery also there. Then with your mobile phone or Computer, you can track the position of the vehicle anywhere in the world!.

Suppose a thief steals your bike/car, Unless he deactivates the device (which depends on how well you hide it), you will be able to see and track the position of the vehicle using software such as google maps and GPS can give an accuracy of less than 10m.

Anyone got any practical experience in using such device? The ebay india item is called "Mini GPS tracker".

regards

San
Old 8th September 2010, 11:09   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
First, Adi, were you able to get hold of the product? If yes, pls post a review, I'm looking for your review so that I can buy one immediately.

Since I don't have anyone coming from US in the near future, I'm planning to get it through ICCWorld or 20North. Pls provide your suggestions on this too. Tks.

Last but not the least, I hope the above trick cannot be done with Xena right?
Hey Aargee, sorry for the delay in posting a review.

I've been using the Xena lock for over a month now and I can safely say that its been nothing short of peace of mind. I take it along with me when I ride so I can lock it while I have to step away with the bike out of my sight. The lock is pretty compact and is completely tamper proof.

Just lock the unit on to the front disc and the lock arms itself in a couple of seconds. Any disturbance and the alarm activates which is a piercing chirping sound (120dB's). After a few seconds it shuts off automatically. If there is another disturbance like someone trying to move the bike or turn the handle the alarm goes off again.

Like in the previous post, it cannot be bypassed and shut off by unplugging the bike's electricals etc. as it has its own dedicated power feed via the battery.

Best part is it is impossible to remove the battery when the lock is on the bike. To remove the battery you have to remove the unit from the disc, take the flat coded key supplied along with the lock, open the bottom metallic part of the lock, remove the plastic alarm unit from the lock unit and then remove the battery from this plastic unit. Now if the battery has any juice left in it (considering its not dead) then the alarm WILL trigger at the slightest movement from the time you open the metal case till you disconnect the battery which is a good five minutes leaving you with a ringing sound in your ears.

When I had to insert the battery (when i got hold of the product the battery was packed separately) and follow all the above steps in reverse order I had to do so with the lock tucked into a heap of pillows and with my bedroom door closed, as everyone at home was getting mighty irritated.

Just buy the disc alarm lock and you wont be disappointed.

I bought mine from eBay and it cost me 70 USD (retail price on the product package was 90 USD) with free shipping inside USA. I'm yet to buy something from 20north etc.

Here are some product features of the Xena Disc Alarm locks. There is also a video which illustrates on how the battery is changed. The battery is said to last a minimum of 8 months depending on how many times the alarm has triggered.

Motorcycle security: XX6 disc-lock alarm for motorcycles, scooters & ATVs

Hope this helps. Do let me know if you need more information.
Old 8th September 2010, 12:06   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Hope this helps. Do let me know if you need more information.
Yes it does & its more than convincing to buy one; I'm going to buy one for sure, but, like I said before, I'm more biased towards Bullet alarm locks as I don't have a fork lock. I guess I'll settle one from XUL or XPL series. I'm still not sure which one & size to settle upon & hence reading further.

Tell me something, by engaging the disc lock, it would still be possible to...
1. Move the motorcycle, but the alarm sounds or is the front wheel locked completely?
2. Touch the metallic or non metallic parts, but the alarm doesn't sound. May be only a little shake makes GO on the alarm

Pls help me with the above points as I assume the alarm mechanism should be same for the bullet locks as well as disc locks.

Thanks Adi for your review.
Old 8th September 2010, 12:18   #49
NFS
BHPian

In early 90s an Ambassador car, of my neighbour was stolen. My dog barked quite hard waking all of us, including the owner, but we all peeped through our windows and found nothing (None expected it to be the car)

When we came to know that the car is missing, we all saw that the tyre marks of the car running straight out of the gate and then on the road (mud road in our residential colony) continued after a 90 deg turn, but there were no drags of any kind nor the tyre marks had connections. That is one track from where it was parked till the gate, It stops there. Next part of the tyre mark starts from another place, but after a 90deg turn. Police looked at it and said probably there were atleast 8 people who attempted this. They would have pushed the car far enough to break open the door locks & start the car.

The car had central lock, steering lock, but NO alarms then. So if an Amby can be lifted where does the bike stand a chance?
NFS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2010, 13:39   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tell me something, by engaging the disc lock, it would still be possible to...
1. Move the motorcycle, but the alarm sounds or is the front wheel locked completely?
2. Touch the metallic or non metallic parts, but the alarm doesn't sound. May be only a little shake makes GO on the alarm

Pls help me with the above points as I assume the alarm mechanism should be same for the bullet locks as well as disc locks.

Thanks Adi for your review.
1. When the xena lock is locked into the disc the wheel can move only to a point where the lock hits the fork (180 degree movement) but with slightest movement the alarm will trigger. The front wheel is not locked completely like it is jammed, if you are asking.

2. A shake of the handle bar triggers the alarm. Its not a touch or impact sensor like on cars where the alarm goes off if any part of the vehicle is touched. Even while unlocking the xena you have to do it fast... the alarm warning beep triggers when you insert the key into the lock but the actual alarm (continuous chirp) sounds only if the lock is still on the brake disc.

So someone can still tamper with the bike (rear portion for example) without disturbing the front wheel. But the advantage is that these locks are very rare in India so all the more peace of mind knowing that thieves have little or no knowledge about picking them.

P.S. Glad to know I've been able to help

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS View Post
So if an Amby can be lifted where does the bike stand a chance?
These locks are only theft deterrents. Even the security systems on cars today are so. None are marketed as theft proof locking or security systems. If you want a theft proof device to protect your vehicle the best best would be an armed guard.

Last edited by n_aditya : 8th September 2010 at 13:44.
Old 8th September 2010, 14:21   #51
BHPian

Aargee.. are you planning to put it on you RX. It cost about 3500/-

Last edited by Chipz : 8th September 2010 at 14:22.
Old 8th September 2010, 14:44   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The front wheel is not locked completely like it is jammed, if you are asking.
Exactly; you read my mind.

Quote:
P.S. Glad to know I've been able to help
Yes. Thanks for the detailed explanation. I'm going to buy this one soon & keep you updated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipz View Post
Aargee.. are you planning to put it on you RX. It cost about 3500/-
Yes, why not? You don't want to know how much I've spent on my Rx. Its a brand new motorcycle. Call it superstitious, but, last week sometimes during early morning hours, I'd a dream that my Rx was stolen & you wouldn't believe I almost had a heart attack & I woke up sweated in A/C . The very thought about it is still giving me shivers. I'm also considering to buy some crap motorcycle for everyday use & lock up Rx at home as weekend rides. Considering these facts, Rs 3.5K might give a little peace of mind.

Last edited by aargee : 8th September 2010 at 14:45.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2010, 16:18   #53

While I was in US, my CBR600RR was stolen. Although it was chained, and had security alarm, and kept behind gated parking, all of it was in vain. Although I was able to claim my insurance, I was totally heartbroken for weeks.
After that incident, I did a good amount of research on what could be the best measure so as to protect ones bike from being stolen. Some thieves are much smarter than what we can imagine. They break chains, know the best ways to disarm an alarm.
In the US, the best, and the most effective system for vehicle thefts is something called LoJack. I am hoping that such a thing comes to India very soon. LoJack is more of a vehicle recovery system that directly allows the vehicle to be tracked by the police as well the the owner of the vehicle. It consists of installing a silent radio transceiver (sometimes even 3-4 of them) in the vehicle. Location of these transceivers varies from vehicle to vehicle, and usually would take a few hours for the thief to locate them in the vehicle. The system can be upgraded to even alert the owner through email or message or phone if the vehicle is moved without the owner's authorization. If a vehicle is reported stolen, police are able to track it on the fly, and vehicle is generally recovered in a few hours. This is considered to be much more effective than gps based tracking of the vehicle since these radio transceivers are much smaller than the gps unit and can be hidden much more effectively. They re already functional in 20 countries. Hope they launch in India sometime soon.
nashster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2010, 17:10   #54
Senior - BHPian

@nashster : Sad to know that your CBR got whacked inspite of so much care and protection.

At least in our country, locking systems which are imported and not very common gives the owners an edge as the thieves wont be familiar with it and it wont be easy to pick the lock.

I wish we had something like LoJack but that would also require cooperation from police etc. to work as expected. The minute they know that its a premium bike or an imported bike, chai pani expenses are demanded which is nothing short of extortion. I figure one would spend quite a packet in such a scenario. Still I'd bite my lip and get LoJack if it was available here.

Last edited by n_aditya : 8th September 2010 at 17:11.
Old 8th September 2010, 17:18   #55
BHPian

It is a good idea to remove the disc lock before trying to set off!

Biker Ted Diaries: Whoops
Attached Thumbnails
Anti-theft devices, strategies for bikes-whoops-001.jpg  

Old 8th September 2010, 18:05   #56
BHPian

G-Force Disk Lock

Hello folks,

A friend of mine has biked up the lock shown below for me while we were in Malaysia. I have not opened it yet as I am waiting for the CL 350 to be delivered this weekend.

Any feedback on this lock? It does'nt have a alarm or anything but just a simple but sturdy lock.
Attached Thumbnails
Anti-theft devices, strategies for bikes-10082010645.jpg  

Old 8th September 2010, 19:00   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantrig View Post
Hello folks,

A friend of mine has biked up the lock shown below for me while we were in Malaysia. I have not opened it yet as I am waiting for the CL 350 to be delivered this weekend.

Any feedback on this lock? It does'nt have a alarm or anything but just a simple but sturdy lock.
I haven't heard of this brand.

People from blore can go to the sports shop in Forum Value Mall Whitefield and they have really thick cable locks in stock. Pretty good and sturdy looking stuff if you want to chain your bike to your gate or railing.
Old 8th September 2010, 19:13   #58
Senior - BHPian

@nashster - Sorry to hear your bad experience; I've still not come out of my nightmare on a simple dream of my Rx being lost, so I can understand how much you feel.

Quote:
At least in our country, locking systems which are imported and not very common gives the owners an edge as the thieves wont be familiar with it and it wont be easy to pick the lock.
Exactly & it would take few years for them to decode this technology & by then we'll have a newer technology coming up. Atleast, this way, I'm proud to be in a 3rd world country

Quote:
The minute they know that its a premium bike or an imported bike, chai pani expenses are demanded which is nothing short of extortion.
Forget premium or non premium, the rate will be depend upon vehicle being lost; because our babus are very strict when it comes to duty

Atleast for now this one seems to be promising to some extent.
Old 9th September 2010, 02:29   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, why not? You don't want to know how much I've spent on my Rx. Its a brand new motorcycle. Call it superstitious, but, last week sometimes during early morning hours, I'd a dream that my Rx was stolen & you wouldn't believe I almost had a heart attack & I woke up sweated in A/C .
Ya I know how you felt aargee..same here. I was a bit sad when I wrote that previous post. Just hours before had just casually asked my mechanic, how much would my Rx135 fetch... and he said 20 or 22. So much pain, labor, and money.. and that is what we get. Anyway cheer up, we are not going to sell it
Old 15th February 2011, 22:28   #60
BHPian

Re: Anti-theft devices, strategies for bikes

Hello people!

My bit to wake this thread. I dreamt of owning a bullet and I have achieved that however it has got me some sleepless moments as well. Very recently a friend of mine lost his libero (can you beat it? the thieves are after a libero even the cops had a good laugh). Coming to the point I am looking security systems for mu bull. I have gone through the products in the likes of Xenos, Xena, aotocop etc and even bumped in to a product from Micro Technologies which is exactly what I am looking for but only if it has "Closed Loop Battery Sensor". Now my question is has anyone used it or knows anyone who uses it on a bike? Or is there a better product. Gurus your help is needed

Drive safe!
SN

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks